Page 135 of 838 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235635 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 8376
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Eating Clean Recipes
    Healthy Made Delicious

http://eatingcleanrecipes.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Watermelon Coconut Water Ice Pops

By Jen, on September 14th, 2011

Ice pops are fun and easy to make. Simply blend up fresh and fruity ingredients and freeze in ice pop molds.

Don’t have an ice pop mold? No problem. All you need is 5-ounce paper cups, foil and wooden sticks to make your own molds.

Here’s a recipe for watermelon ice pops. So simple, it has only 4 ingredients. The most difficult part of this recipe is waiting for the pops to freeze. Patience will be rewarded!

Watermelon Coconut Water Ice Pops

4 cups fresh watermelon chunks, seedless or seeds removed
    1/2 cup coconut water
    Juice from 1 fresh lime
    2 to 4 tablespoons organic evaporated cane sugar
    8 (5-ounce) paper cups
    Foil squares
    Wooden sticks

Add watermelon, coconut water, lime juice and sugar to blender container. Cover and blend until liquid and smooth. Remove and discard foam. (You should have about 3 cups liquid remaining.) Pour liquid into paper cups (about 1/3 cup liquid into each paper cup). Cover cups with squares of foil; insert wooden stick through foil. Freeze until solid, about 8 hours.

Makes 8 ice pops

Tip: The amount of sugar needed depends on the sweetness of the watermelon. If the watermelon is sweet and flavorful use less sugar.

What is coconut water? Coconut water is the liquid from young, green coconuts. Be sure to use coconut water for this recipe, not coconut milk.

Recipe Links:
    Watermelon Blueberry Popsicles from Jenny Steffens
    Cucumber Watermelon Juice

Desserts, Eat Clean Recipes, Snacks, Vegan coconut water, coconut water recipe, dairy free, frozen fruit pop, fruit pop, homemade popsicle, ice pop, ice pops, juice pop, juice pops, lime, non-dairy, paleta, paletas, popsicle, real fruit pop, smoothie pop, smoothie pops, vegan fruit pop, vegan ice pop, vegan popsicle, watermelon, watermelon pop, watermelon popsicle

http://eatingcleanrecipes.com/2011/0...ater-ice-pops/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mango Coconut Ice Cream

By Jen, on August 21st, 2011

Homemade vegan ice cream? Yup, and it’s easy to make.

Start with a can of coconut milk for a rich and creamy base. Simply combine the coconut milk with some almond milk and blend in ripe fruit and organic sugar. Chill the mixture then freeze in an ice cream maker. Scoop and enjoy.

Vegan Mango Coconut Ice Cream
    1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk (do not use light or cream of coconut)
    1/2 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (homemade or purchased)
    1 1/2 cups chopped ripe mango
    1 tablespoon orange liqueur such as Grand Mariner or Cointreau
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla

Combine coconut milk, sugar, almond milk and mango in blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Add orange liqueur and vanilla; blend to combine. Cover and refrigerate coconut mixture at least 4 hours until well chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Makes about 1 quart (4 cups)

Tip: Homemade ice cream freezes very firm. Adding the orange liquor makes a slightly softer ice cream since alcohol does not freeze.

For a soft serve consistency, serve immediately.

For a firm, scoop-able consistency transfer to a freezer container and freeze until firm. Homemade ice cream freezes very firm. To serve, let the coconut ice cream soften at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes or until soft enough to scoop.

Recipe Link:
    Pina Colada Ice Cream from Elana’s Pantry

http://eatingcleanrecipes.com/2011/0...e-cream-vegan/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Merck vaccine scientist Dr. Maurice Hilleman admitted presence of SV40, AIDS and cancer viruses in vaccines

Video: http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=13EAAF22C ... D2CD90EF7B
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Merck vaccine scientist Dr. Maurice Hilleman admitted presence of SV40, AIDS and cancer viruses in vaccines

Thursday, September 15, 2011
    by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

(NaturalNews) One of the most prominent vaccine scientists in the history of the vaccine industry -- a Merck scientist -- made a recording where he openly admits that vaccines given to Americans were contaminated with leukemia and cancer viruses. In response, his colleagues (who are also recorded here) break out into laughter and seem to think it's hilarious. They then suggest that because these vaccines are first tested in Russia, they will help the U.S. win the Olympics because the Russian athletes will all be "loaded down with tumors." (Thus, they knew these vaccines caused cancer in humans.)

This isn't some conspiracy theory -- these are the words of a top Merck scientist who probably had no idea that his recording would be widely reviewed across the internet (which didn't even exist when he made this recording). He probably thought this would remain a secret forever. When asked why this didn't get out to the press, he replied "Obviously you don't go out, this is a scientific affair within the scientific community."

In other words, vaccine scientists cover for vaccine scientists. They keep all their dirty secrets within their own circle of silence and don't reveal the truth about the contamination of their vaccines.

You can hear this interview at:
    http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=13EAAF...2F94D2CD90EF7B

Here is the full transcript. (Thanks are due to Dr. Len Horowitz for finding this recording and making it publicly available.)

Transcript of audio interview with Dr. Maurice Hilleman

Dr. Len Horowitz: Listen now to the voice of the worlds leading vaccine expert Dr Maurice Hilleman, Chief of the Merck Pharmaceutical Company's vaccine division relay this problem he was having with imported monkeys. He best explains the origin of AIDS, but what you are about to hear was cut from any public disclosures.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: and I think that vaccines have to be considered the bargain basement technology for the 20th century.

Narrator: 50 years ago when Maurice Hilleman was a high school student in Miles City Montana, he hoped he might qualify as a management trainee for the local JC Penney's store. Instead he went on to pioneer more breakthroughs in vaccine research and development than anyone in the history of American medicine. Among the discoveries he made at Merck, are vaccines for mumps, rubella and measles…

Dr Edward Shorter: Tell me how you found SV40 and the polio vaccine.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: Well, that was at Merck. Yeah, I came to Merck. And uh, I was going to develop vaccines. And we had wild viruses in those days. You remember the wild monkey kidney viruses and so forth? And I finally after 6 months gave up and said that you cannot develop vaccines with these damn monkeys, we're finished and if I can't do something I'm going to quit, I'm not going to try it. So I went down to see Bill Mann at the zoo in Washington DC and I told Bill Mann, I said "look, I got a problem and I don't know what the hell to do." Bill Mann is a real bright guy. I said that these lousy monkeys are picking it up while being stored in the airports in transit, loading, off loading. He said, very simply, you go ahead and get your monkeys out of West Africa and get the African Green, bring them into Madrid unload them there, there is no other traffic there for animals, fly them into Philadelphia and pick them up. Or fly them into New York and pick them up, right off the airplane. So we brought African Greens in and I didn't know we were importing the AIDS virus at the time.

Miscellaneous background voices:…(laughter)… it was you who introduced the AIDS virus into the country. Now we know! (laughter) This is the real story! (laughter) What Merck won't do to develop a vaccine! (laughter)

Dr Maurice Hilleman: So what he did, he brought in, I mean we brought in those monkeys, I only had those and this was the solution because those monkeys didn't have the wild viruses but we…

Dr Edward Shorter: Wait, why didn't the greens have the wild viruses since they came from Africa?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …because they weren't, they weren't, they weren't being infected in these group holding things with all the other 40 different viruses…

Dr Edward Shorter: but they had the ones that they brought from the jungle though...

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …yeah, they had those, but those were relatively few what you do you have a gang housing you're going to have an epidemic transmission of infection in a confined space. So anyway, the greens came in and now we have these and were taking our stocks to clean them up and god now I'm discovering new viruses. So, I said Judas Priest. Well I got an invitation from the Sister Kinney Foundation which was the opposing foundation when it was the live virus…

Dr Edward Shorter: Ah, right…

Dr Maurice Hilleman: Yeah, they had jumped on the Sabin's band wagon and they had asked me to come down and give a talk at the Sister Kinney Foundation meeting and I saw it was an international meeting and god, what am I going to talk about? I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to talk about the detection of non detectable viruses as a topic.

Dr Albert Sabin …there were those who didn't want a live virus vaccine… (unintelligible) …concentrated all its efforts on getting more and more people to use the killed virus vaccine, while they were supporting me for research on the live viruses.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: So now I got to have something (laughter), you know that going to attract attention. And gee, I thought that damn SV40, I mean that damn vaculating agent that we have, I'm just going to pick that particular one, that virus has got to be in vaccines, it's got to be in the Sabin's vaccines so I quick tested it (laughter) and sure enough it was in there.

Dr Edward Shorter: I'll be damned

Dr Maurice Hilleman: … And so now…

Dr Edward Shorter: …so you just took stocks of Sabin's vaccines off the shelf here at Merck…

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …yeah, well it had been made, it was made at Merck…

Dr Edward Shorter: You were making it for Sabin at this point?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …Yeah, it was made before I came…

Dr Edward Shorter: yeah, but at this point Sabin is still just doing massive field trials…

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …uh huh

Dr Edward Shorter: okay,

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …in Russia and so forth. So I go down and I talked about the detection of non detectable viruses and told Albert, I said listen Albert you know you and I are good friends but I'm going to go down there and you're going to get upset. I'm going to talk about the virus that it's in your vaccine. You're going to get rid of the virus, don't worry about it, you're going to get rid of it… but umm, so of course Albert was very upset...

Dr Edward Shorter: What did he say?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …well he said basically, that this is just another obfuscation that's going to upset vaccines. I said well you know, you're absolutely right, but we have a new era here we have a new era of the detection and the important thing is to get rid of these viruses.

Dr Edward Shorter: Why would he call it an obfuscation if it was a virus that was contaminating the vaccine?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …well there are 40 different viruses in these vaccines anyway that we were inactivating and uh,

Dr Edward Shorter: but you weren't inactivating his though…

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …no that's right, but yellow fever vaccine had leukemia virus in it and you know this was in the days of very crude science. So anyway I went down and talked to him and said well, why are you concerned about it? Well I said "I'll tell you what, I have a feeling in my bones that this virus is different, I don't know why to tell you this but I …(unintelligible) …I just think this virus will have some long term effects." And he said what? And I said "cancer". (laughter) I said Albert, you probably think I'm nuts, but I just have that feeling. Well in the mean time we had taken this virus and put it into monkeys and into hamsters. So we had this meeting and that was sort of the topic of the day and the jokes that were going around was that "gee, we would win the Olympics because the Russians would all be loaded down with tumors." (laughter) This was where the vaccine was being tested, this was where… so, uhh, and it really destroyed the meeting and it was sort of the topic. Well anyway…

Dr Edward Shorter: Was this the physicians… (unintelligible) …meeting in New York?

Dr Maurice Hilleman …well no, this was at Sister Kinney…

Dr Edward Shorter: Sister Kinney, right…

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …and Del Becco (sp) got up and he foresaw problems with these kinds of agents.

Dr Edward Shorter: Why didn't this get out into the press?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …well, I guess it did I don't remember. We had no press release on it. Obviously you don't go out, this is a scientific affair within the scientific community…

Voice of news reporter: …an historic victory over a dread disease is dramatically unfolded at the U of Michigan. Here scientists usher in a new medical age with the monumental reports that prove that the Salk vaccine against crippling polio to be a sensational success. It's a day of triumph for 40 year old Dr. Jonas E Salk developer of the vaccine. He arrives here with Basil O'Connor the head of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis that financed the tests. Hundreds of reporters and scientists gathered from all over the nation gathered for the momentous announcement….

Dr Albert Sabin: …it was too much of a show, it was too much Hollywood. There was too much exaggeration and the impression in 1957 that was, no in 1954 that was given was that the problem had been solved , polio had been conquered.

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …but, anyway we knew it was in our seed stock from making vaccines. That virus you see, is one in 10,000 particles is not an activated… (unintelligible) …it was good science at the time because that was what you did. You didn't worry about these wild viruses.

Dr Edward Shorter: So you discovered, it wasn't being inactivated in the Salk vaccine?

Dr Maurice Hilleman: …Right. So then the next thing you know is, 3, 4 weeks after that we found that there were tumors popping up on these hamsters.

Dr. Len Horowitz: Despite AIDS and Leukemia suddenly becoming pandemic from "wild viruses" Hilleman said, this was "good science" at that time.

NaturalNews wishes to thank Dr. Len Horowitz for uncovering this interview from the national archives, and for getting it released so the public can learn the truth behind the deadly vaccine industry.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033584_Dr...eman_SV40.html

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.

How to Spot the Triggers of a Socioeconomic Collapse

Fernando Ferfal Aguirre
    September 19th, 2011
    Surviving In Argentina
    133 Comments

The following article has been graciously contributed by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre. Fernando lived through the hyper-inflationary meltdown in Argentina and shares his wisdom in his book The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse, as well as regular updates at his web site Surviving in Argentina .

Editor’s Note: With the many possibilities for natural and man-made events that can lead to local, regional, national or global crisis, it is often difficult to identify what is happening and what the consequences of certain events may be. As preppers we are always on the look-out for a potential disaster or emergency – it’s what we do. This is the nature of our chosen lifestyle. It is both a blessing and a curse. While most of us who prepare will likely be ready to deal with an emergency situation and minimize our panic while we respond to the crisis around us, our curse is that any event, no matter how insignificant or in the periphery it may be, raises our sensitivity levels, perhaps at times to extreme levels. There’s a lot of noise, confusion and misinformation out there, and sometimes it may lead to unnecessary stress.
    In the article below Ferfal provides a little bit of relief for those of us who may look at every financial or economic occurence as the potential trigger that devolves the entire system into meltdown and chaos. While we never know what will set the entire system ablaze, so our view is that it’s better to be overly sensitive than ignorant, Ferfal’s first hand knowledge of a currency and societal meltdown on a national level gives us a critical view into what such an event may look like, the signs that will precede it, the sentiment and behavior of the people in the region, and what you can do to prepare. It’s not just about storing food and guns, but also being aware of our surroundings and the changes in society as the system around us becomes unhinged. With Ferfal’s help, we have another important piece of the puzzle. It’s an important piece, because in the event that the situation begins spiraling out of control, you’ll see it coming.

Socioeconomic Collapse and Preparedness Timing by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre
    Fernando, I really enjoyed your book, (so have my parents, my wife, my friends and a dozen people in my office). It is very well written and packed with useful information. In fact, your book occupies a place in our law firm’s bookcase next to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Your book and your blog bring credibility to the debate over whether and how to prepare for a financial or other collapse.
    One topic I have not seen covered deals with the timing of events. Most people I know who “prep” talk about “bugging out” and scenarios that rely on “triggering events.” Even in your case, you had a fairly short window of time during which time the currency collapsed. A currency collapse would definitely be a “triggering event” to almost everyone I know. In the last two years, however, I have come to believe we are in slow decline here in the U.S., and that there will not be a single “triggering event” that signals the time to start wearing my body armor (or whatever other example you want to use). The endpoint will be the same, but perhaps less dramatic than in Argentina. The problem is, there is a lot of danger and mayhem between now and what may be the final collapse of U.S. social order, perhaps even a generation. I am worried that in a slower, more orderly decline, it will be difficult to match my level of security with the level of threat. Many more people, even well prepared people, could be taken by surprise.
    Most of the skills you recommend to your readers are good life skills that all people should have to enhance the chances of daily survival, even under normal circumstances. That said, constant, extreme vigilance is not anymore practical than having Uncle Bob come over and help me guard my house 24/7 WTSHTF. While I am raising my children to be watchful and vigilant, there is a whole different level of vigilance I would apply if I lived during a triggering event like a currency collapse. For example, I let them play outside with their friends in the neighborhood without adult supervision. To disallow that would be unhealthy to their development, and the threat to their safety at the moment is not extreme. If the dollar were worthless and crime rampant as you have described in your book, there is no way I’d let them outside without an adult.
    My question to you is this, assume I have taken all the advice in your book and acquired the skills, equipment and commodities to survive a pretty long time; what would be the top five or ten subtle changes in society, government, or markets that would cause you to go from a normal state of awareness to the “never let your kids out of the house to play in the back yard level of awareness?”
    Thanks,
    Andrew.
    An economic collapse in many ways is similar to the decline of an empire regarding how complex it is to prepare for it. Unlike defined disasters, natural ones like Katrina or man-made, there’s no clear beginning to it. It is a complex, multilevel event that in some aspects may have a clear trigger or milestone (such as defaulting or bank holidays) but on other aspects it may have been cooking slowly through inflation and unemployment for months, even years. Certain economic events may be easy to pinpoint, but how does unemployment affect people, when will this cause an increase in crime, or affect me directly leaving me without income? When will crime stop being only a factor related to the harsh economy and also be influenced in terms of how violent it becomes due to social hatred because of social polarization? Then there’s also the consideration that it may have been affecting people in different ways based on socioeconomic level and location in the country. Calling such a situation complex is an understatement.
    Given such complexity and all the variables impossible to ponder, all you can do is stay informed, learn to tell the different signs and know how to interpret them so as to know what the future holds within a certain margin of error.
    Things to look for would be unemployment, rumors from people within the banking and financial world (some of those rumors saved people millions when our economy collapsed) crime and what type of crime is taking place, corruption, debt and inflation. You must also become pretty skeptical regarding the information the main stream media provides. Who OWNS such media channels? Who are their sponsors and advertisers? What political agenda do they have or slightly tend to favor? If the media says the economy is doing wonderful but people on the street are barely getting by and you see more industries moving abroad, do have your doubts.
    All these events and signs do tell you something. Don’t wait for the official SHTF day, in socioeconomic terms that simply will never happen, you will simply look back one day and realize the world around you has already changed. That is indeed how people will be taken by surprise. People sometimes talk about rule of law and no rule of law times, as if it were an on/off switch. One day everything is fine but the next week, ups! No ROL folks, so its madness out there, I’ll wear my MOLLE vest with armor plate to work and leave my Keltec 32 in the safe and pick my 1911 instead, carried in a drop leg holster or attached to my vest of course. People that think this way are the ones that will indeed fail at protecting their families today, ROL or no ROL. If you suffer a violent home invasion in an upper class neighborhood like the Petite family did, does it really matter if some nutcase declared that ROL is still in effect, or that it isn’t? Preparedness is now folks. Modern survival is the way you analyze events, make decisions and ultimately live your life from day one, not after an event. In states where its legal to carry, I would get my CCW permit and carry today. Doing so won’t bring any disadvantages to my lifestyle. My kids playing in the street with friends unsupervised? I´d be honest with myself. Can my son defend himself from a social predator? I wouldn’t leave a 10 year old kid unsupervised no matter where I live. How about 13 or 14 years old, and the general area you live in being pretty safe? Then I might be a bit more flexible.
    What would be the top five or ten subtle changes in society, government, or markets that would cause you to go from a normal state of awareness to the “never let your kids out of the house to play in the back yard level of awareness?”
    Unemployment: If unemployment is over 15-20% there will soon be serious social changes involving desperate people.
    Poverty: Are half the people around you poor and looking your way with resentment? In Argentina the numbers are still pretty bad. 50% poor and 25% below the poverty line. Of the remaining 25% only 3% make enough money to life a life standard similar in quality to what middle class Americans are used to. Watch out for poverty and not only what the newspaper says or what the president announces. Do you see more people begging on the streets, more dumpster divers? How about shanty towns or tent towns? If you have any of those close keep an eye on your kids, your property and yourself.
    Inflation: Right now Argentina ranks at the top 3 worst inflation in the planet. That’s a sign of bad times to come. We have unions forcing higher wages that chase after ever increasing prices and still losing millions keeping an artificial exchange rate with the dollar around 1 to 4,2. When the peso devaluates again, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go to 7 or 8 pesos per dollar. Rising inflation is perhaps one of the final stages before the collapse, and something Americans should pay special attention to.
    Businesses and Infrastructure: Are roads being repaired, parks kept tended to? Do you see a general sense of decay in the overall infrastructure? Neighbors keeping their houses well kept are a sign of good times. When the economy collapsed here in 2001 middle class people wouldn’t even buy a can of paint let alone remodel, and it showed. Things like stores closing and going out of business, shops boarded up, sometimes being replaced with cheapo discount stores.
    Crime and Rumors: Crime will be a clear indication of you having to go from yellow to orange in terms of awareness. Now, it may not appear on the media as much as it should and negative news may be avoided entirely by news groups trying to be “team players” with the government. You on the other hand cannot afford the pink shaded glasses. Pay special attention to the local gossip and rumors, and when something catches your attention try verifying through other sources. Who got mugged, robbed or suffered a home invasion. Don’t wait too long. Once you know this is happening in your general area take the extra precautions you know you must take.

You can still have a pretty normal and happy life in spite of being forced to be more cautions and more aware given the circumstances. I believe its much better to take those measures while still enjoying the things I can, than taking the easy road and not doing it, and maybe one day regret it.

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-pr...lapse_09192011
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Emergency Plan for Pets

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Today as I was looking through a few news sites online I ran across an interesting article from CNN about making sure you have an emergency plan set up for your pets. I was mostly surprised by how similar the suggestions for pet emergency kits were for the suggestions for human emergency kits. Here are a few tips from the article that particularly stood out to me:

1. Try camping, or at least learn a few skills - It's important to keep in mind that many hotels and other places you might think to stay during an emergency may not allow pets. If you find yourself in this situation, you will probably be happy that you have some camping supplies like a tent or water filter set aside and a few skills that can help you get through until you find a more permanent place to stay.

2. Invest in sturdy pet carriers - No matter where you end up during an emergency, your pet will need to sleep somewhere. Get a carrier now and have your pet sleep in it and get used to it. Make sure it is big enough for your pet to be comfortable in and that it has space for a water and food bowl.

3. Carry copies of documentation - It is pretty common to hear that we should keep copies of credit cards, birth certificates, marriage certificates, and other important documents with our emergency kits. The same thing applies to important papers for our pets. Some papers that you might want to consider are lists of medications or allergies, vaccination records, and disaster contacts.

4. Carry photos that show you with your pet - This can work as proof of ownership. You can put pictures of you and your pet on it's carrier and also carry them with you in your emergency kit.

Click here for more ideas of what you should consider when working on preparing an emergency kit and plan for your pets and to read the article from CNN in it's entirety.Posted by Emergency Essentials® at 10:19 AM

http://preparednesspantry.blogspot.com/ ... -pets.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Top 10 Ways To Prep For Cold Weather

10. Blankets:
    Make sure you have plenty of blankets on hand in case of a loss of power or loss of a heating source.
    9. Alternative Heating Source
    Make sure you have another way to heat your home and cook your meals. Relying only on your primary sources of heat and power could leave you in a precarious situation. Don’t make this mistake.
    8. Food Storage
    Stock up on food. This will come in very handy if you are ever snowed in. It will also be a great help to those of your friends, family, or neighbors, who may by in a time of need.
    7. Water Storage
    Don’t let your stored water freeze. This can ruin the containers it is stored in. Keep your water in above freezing temperatures.
    6. Winterize your home
    Extend the life of your fuel supply by insulating walls and attics, caulking and weather-stripping doors and windows, and installing storm windows or covering windows with plastic.
    5. Insulate pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing. Also, winterize your sprinkler system.
    4. Keep fire extinguishers on hand
    House fires pose an additional risk, as more people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety precautions.
    3. Winterize Your Car
    Cold weather can be very tough on vehicles. Make sure that you’ve had your vehicles heating system checked. Make sure your tires are ready for ice and snow. Make sure you keep at least a half a tank of gas at all times, and that you have an Auto emergency kit in your vehicle.
    2. Check Your Roof
    If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, make sure you have your roof checked for integrity. Can it handle the weight of the snow that will come?1. Clothing
    Make sure you dress appropriately for the cold weather. Keep extra coats on hand in your car. You don’t want to get caught in a snow or ice storm without the ability to stay warm. Wear extra layers and keep scarfs, gloves, and a warm hat nearby.

http://www.thereadystore.com/emergen...-cold-weather/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Pandemics are NOT Just in the Movies

Written on: 09-09-11
    8 Comments

Pandemics are real. Pandemics aren’t just something that happens in movies like alien invasions. They really happen, and even if they are not deadly… they can significantly impact people’s daily lives on a local, national and even global scale. Unfortunately pandemics, like many other natural disasters, usually are only a matter of public discourse and concern when we are in the middle of a major crisis because of one. It would be wise for us all to understand the historic context of actual pandemics, be aware of the possible complications of pandemics, prepare our families with a checklist of items we need to be ready, and have a plan for how your family will respond to a major pandemic.

HISTORIC CONTEXT
    From June of 1918 to December of 1920 the entire world suffered from a major pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza virus called the “Spanish Flu”. The virus spread throughout every region of the world from major population centers to remote islands in the pacific and even the arctic. It is estimated that about a third of the world’s population was infected an an estimated 10% – 20% of those that were infected died as a result. These were not young children, old people, and people with weak immune systems that died. The primary demographic affected were healthy young adults with strong immune systems that overreacted to the infection creating a fatal “cytokine storm” causing their own immune system’s reaction to the pathogen to lead to their death. It is estimated that 50-100 million people died globaly with around 600,000 deaths in the United States alone… that is an estimated 3% – 6% of the world’s population. Even in areas where people were not dying, so many were sick and in-bed that communities virtually shut down. Some towns closed all pubic stores or asked customers to leave orders outside. There were not even enough health-care workers to help the sick or the gravediggers to bury the dead because they too were incapacitated from the pandemic. This virus was very similar to the H1N1 that caused the “Swine Flu” scare in 2009. Fortunately for us, this time around the flu was not deadly and history did not repeat itself, but it will and the ability of pathogens to travel quickly with modern transportation systems and air travel is significantly increased. Not being prepared for a deadly pandemic is like playing Russian Roulette with nature… sooner or later there will be live ammunition in the chamber and nature will pull the trigger, so be prepared for the possible complications and help your family dodge the bullet.

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS
    • Restriced Travel: Airlines may limit travel to and from certain areas and states may close borders.
    • Unavailable Medical Services: Due to high surges in infected individuals seeking treatment, other medical services may be unavailable.
    • Shortages of Vaccinations: Supplies of vaccines specific to the outbreak may be very short and production capacity on other vaccines may be shifted to supply vaccines for the pandemic
    • Quarantine Mandates: Local, State, and Federal governments may mandate quarantines for infected individuals or families and might impose strict curfews on the general public
    • Cancelled Public Gatherings: Large public gatherings like sporting events, school, cultural events, large business gatherings, and other public gatherings may be cancelled
    • Depressed Economic Activity: If a large portion of the public is infected, basic services and economic activity could be hampered or halted due to a lack of available labor or fear of infection by coming to work
    • Large Scale Fatalities: In a worst-case scenario, there will be large scale deaths with 1 in 20 dying as a result of the pandemic.
    PREPAREDNESS CHECKLIST

The supplies you need to prepare for and mitigate the negative affects of a major pandemic are simple. So simple that it is easy NOT to get them, but don’t procrastinate. The next pandemic could happen this season or ten years from now, but it is better to prepare years early than a day late.

Particulate Respirators
    Get some simple particulate respirators that meet at least the NIOSH N95 or NIOSH N100 rating meaning they filter 95% or 99.97% of airborne particulates, but keep in mind that viruses are very small and if not attached to a larger particle such as a dust particle or water particle (which most often they are) they can still penetrate the filter and pathogens can sometimes still get into your blood stream through your eyes. In order to get the best protection you need a full face mask. These will not ELIMINATE your risk of exposure… they will just REDUCE your risk of exposure. DO NOT just get a surgical mask or a dust mask… these WILL NOT even REDUCE your risk of exposure significantly.

First Aid & Medical Supplies
    Make sure you have a good supply of first aid and medical supplies including medications that you might need. In an event of a pandemic available medical supplies and services will be very limited if available at all… and there will also be a higher risk of exposure to pathogens at medical facilities becuase there will likely be a higher concentration of infected individuals. If you can take care of any medical needs yourself it will help reduce your exposure.

Food & Water
    Always have food and water on hand for at LEAST two weeks. Again… anything you can do to reduce contact with the general public will reduce your risk of infection during a pandemic. If you have food so you don’t have to go to the store it will help. Also, if there are mandated quarantines in place you may not be able to leave your home. If you don’t have food and water on hand you will have a major problem even if nobody is sick in your household.

HAVE A PLAN
    You know your family better than we do, so it’s imperative that you make a plan for how you will respond so you don’t get caught up in the hype or don’t get caught unprepared for what may come. Most important though, don’t worry. Just make sure you understand what the risk is, and prepared your family to reduce that risk as much as possible and you’ll have the peace of mind that you have done everything you can.

http://www.thereadystore.com/emergen...in-the-movies/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 05:22 PM.