Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I really think that people of this generation, who are from foreign countries of all kinds, just have a huge problem with assimilating overall.

I was having a conversation w/ a friend of my daughters. Her parents were Korean and had immigrated here. She was born here, spoke well, was becoming highly educated, but was CONFUSED and admitted it. She knew she did not fit in with her parents and her family in Korea, but she felt she did not fit in here.

She called herself a Korean American .. .I told her, honey, you are an AMERICAN. You are as American as I am. You were born here, you are living here. This is who you are. You DO fit in here. She gave me a blank look and continued to talk of "racial" issues with the asian communities here.

I think their parents do a TERRIBLE job of helping them assume a national identity of being an American. Something is going on in their educational process. Of course, all this talk of "diversity" and multiculturalism just throws high grade fuel on the fire.

So, her major goal in life is to get a degree in International business relations or some thing so she can provide assitance to ASIAN countries. I mean, she is not planning to contribute to this country. It's all about the "homeland."

This is going to be our major problem in the years ahead. Americans who just don't get that they are Americans, ON TOP OF those trying to live here illegally. They are not going to be here to strengthen anything WE have going on.

If we don't institute national identity measures soon . ..we will lose our country. It will just be a holding tank -- a place to "earn the cash" to do benefit anything and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by americangirl
    Martz was born and raised in the United States. Her father, who is Mexican, wanted so much for her to assimilate with the American culture that he refused to teach her Spanish or any Mexican customs. It really wasn't until she became an adult that she began to research her heritage to learn more about herself.
    I was born in the United States. My great great great grandparents immigrated here from Scotland. However, I do not hang the Scottish flag on my front porch to show pride in my "heritage". My heritage is American....period.

EXACTLY! I'm a genealogy nut and love learning about my ancestry, which consists of French, Russian and Irish. BUT I was born here and my family were Americans. We grew up in an AMERICAN household. I enjoy reading about where my ancestors came from, but it would never cross my mind to wave a flag that belonged to a country other than the country I live in.
    If I moved anywhere abroad, I would NEVER consider hanging an American flag outside my door. How completely disrespecful to the country you reside in.
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!

I recall when I lived in Canada there were ethnic people who were legal immigrants and they would always talk about how great it was bakc home. There were many other legal immigrants who would tell them to go back if it was so much better there.
    The people who come here and have flags of their former countries on or in their car or on their homes only cause others to dislike them. This is why many people in South Florida dislike Cubans. They come here thanks to the wet foot dry foot policy and all they do is throw Cuba in your face. People are forever telling them to go back fight over there.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am of German descent, and pretty recent -- like from the late 1890's or so. But, I mean, who cares about the German flag. It's nice and all, but it's not MY flag. I was born here. I grew up here. This country gave ME everything, and I will give everything I have back. Whatever work I do remains here -- to benefit THIS society, not Germany, or any other country. I mean, how can people not get that.

I might display a trinket from Germany in my living room, or perhaps hang a German flag up in my basement, to display my hertitage. I might have the old "coat of arms" in the foyer. I might learn the language, take a vacation back there for a few weeks. But I'm not hanging the German flag outside my door. That is an afront to THIS country.

This woman Martz seems dumb in a lot ways. I agree with some that it is good to learn about your heritage and genealogy but that doesn't mean you should hang foreign flags when you live in the United States. She should flying the flag of the country he father came to and assimilated too not a country that she was not born in and has no citizenship too. I think this woman is asking for trouble.

FOREIGN FLAGS SHOULD NOT BE FLOWN IN AMERICA
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12