Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Keyes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I remember when he ran in 2000. He had a great line in the debates with Boosh and McShame that I remember to this day. Bush and McCain were babbling away, and Alan said simply, "Can I say something substantive?"
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

I hope he is running as an Independent.

I sent the link to the immigration video to:

Glenn Beck
    Lou Dobbs
    Sean Hannity.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alan is one of the most intelligent, well spoken, entertaining oraters I have ever seen. The guy is just captivating. I bet some people watched all 45 minutes of that Very Happy I watched over 20....
    You're right, I watched the entire 45 minutes of the video. Was taking a break from working in the garage a bit and saw it mentioned on a totally non related forum. Clicked the link and couldn't pull myself away from it, now I hope I get done in time for the Pats/Colts game
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

I saw this guy in the debates, and he is awesome!
    Hope he will run as Ron Paul's running mate!

He ran against Obama and lost in Illinois

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_co ... e_and.html

From the Chicago Tribune

Gone and forgotten -- Alan Keyes one year later
    This column appeared in today's Chicago Tribune newspaper

Alan Keyes' former campaign manager Bill Pascoe jokes that if he ever writes a behind-the-scenes book about the wildest three months in state political history he will use the title, "It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time."

Bring in an intelligent, articulate, famous conservative from Maryland, Keyes, as a pinch-hit U.S. Senate candidate to battle an intelligent, articulate, famous liberal, Democrat from Hyde Park, Barack Obama. May the best ideology win!

Keyes went on to get only 27 percent of the vote in November 2004, then refused to make the customary concession call to Obama on the grounds that Obama is "evil."

At that time, Pascoe's good idea seemed like the worst idea anyone ever had.

But was it? Looking back a full year on the comically disastrous campaign, it seems more like a tale full of sound and fury that signified nothing.

Today finds almost no evidence that Keyes was here at all.

Despite his many chesty declarations that he planned to stick around no matter what--"I'm here and I'm committed to the people of Illinois" was one of many such promises--he skedaddled back to Maryland shortly after the election, former aides said.

Numerous efforts to reach Keyes for comment through his current spokeswoman were unsuccessful.

A handful of his loyalists occupied his campaign suite at 118 N. Clinton St. for several months after the election, but they're long gone now, said former top Keyes consultant Dan Proft.

Proft, who still maintains an office in the building, publishes the Illinois Leader and is working for GOP gubernatorial hopeful state Sen. Steve Rauschenberger and other clients.

The Keyes conflagration "has had no effect on this campaign cycle," Proft said, referring to the brewing Republican primary fight in which state Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, a social moderate who was very critical of Keyes, appears to be the front-runner.

"I think voters look back on it as a total anomaly," he said. "We took a flier bringing him in. It didn't work out. Now we're back to a field of excellent home-grown candidates."

A long-term advantage of the kooky Keyes candidacy may have been that it spared mainstream Republicans and their party faithful a truly demoralizing defeat against the inevitable Obama.

The regulars kept their powder dry for 2006, and Keyes' spectacular loss-by 43 percentage points-was no reflection on anyone but his pompous, moralizing windbag self.

"This was a unique event," Pascoe said.

Pascoe accepts responsibility for promoting the idea and for recruiting Keyes. But responsibility for the scattershot, polarizing nature of the campaign belongs only to Keyes, who proved mostly unmanageable.

"I had a brilliant candidate who could speak about any subject and who, unfortunately, did speak about any subject," Pascoe said. "He didn't allow himself to have an unexpressed thought. We had no message discipline."

Keyes would call a news conference to address a particular issue, reporters would bait him with rhetorical questions and Keyes would eagerly and colorfully pontificate. The next day's headlines would inevitably read "Jesus wouldn't vote for Obama, Keyes says" (Tribune, Sept. 8, 2004) or something equally piquant.

"Long term, he may have helped the party with movement conservatives," said veteran Republican consultant and commentator Tom Roeser. "They used to complain: `You never let one of our guys run.' Well, we did. And he was a disaster. Now they may be more agreeable to backing candidates who don't match up on all their issues."

GOP state Chairman Andy McKenna said he hasn't heard a word this year from the man who vowed to remain and help unify the party.

But, ironically, McKenna said, Keyes has helped the party come together by being an ongoing reminder "that we need common-sense candidates to talk to people in a common-sense way about the issues they care about," he said.

Such optimism may be wishful thinking colored by amnesia. But a year later, what legacy or stain can we say Keyes left, other than yards of colorful copy and an object lesson in political ineptitude?

Good idea? Bad idea? Alan Keyes now seems more like a weird dream.

(Keyes2004.com photos)

in COLUMNS | Permalink

While I agree his speech on illegal immigration was awesome, he had a total meltdown in Illinois. Not sure how stable he is mentally.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

I think he is stable - more so than many we have making the decisions now.

I think he is very passionate and believes what he says.

The media is going to label anyone 'kooky' or 'lunatic' or whatever that is not one of the gang. That's the only way they can neutralize their message. If we are going to get anything done in this country - it will have to be outside the 'good ole boy network' - that's mainstream Rep/Dem candidates.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alan Keyes

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic
    Alan is one of the most intelligent, well spoken, entertaining oraters I have ever seen. The guy is just captivating. I bet some people watched all 45 minutes of that I watched over 20....

Is he running? I think it is too late to jump in now. But he has pretty strong name recognition. I would like to see him run, even if its a Third Party or independent run.
    If Tom Tancredo withdraws from the race while Alan Keyes is still running, I will strongly consider voting for Mr. Keyes. I will not vote for Ron Paul.

I will vote for the person who will represent me and my fellow Americans the best that they can...and the one that Respects and understands our Constitution...and will not sell us way
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    awesome

Alan is a true patriot. I've heard him speak several times here in UT and he is just amazing to listen to. He is very passionate about his patriotism and he is not afraid to show it. He has always spoken highly and in favor of all the Minuteman and border watch groups and calls them heros for voluntarily protecting the US.

Alan would make an awesome president.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast