Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Christmas

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-Christmas

HOLIDAY BLUES
    Red, green lights to be banned?
    Committee proposal says colored Christmas twinklers too religious

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: November 6, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

This is part of Fort Collins' art in public places program, and is called 'Source of life.' But the city's new rules call for a ban on red and green lights at Christmas as being too religious

A special task force in a Colorado city has recommended banning red and green lights at the Christmas holiday because they fall among the items that are too religious for the city to sponsor.

"Some symbols, even though the Supreme Court has declared that in many contexts they are secular symbols, often still send a message to some members of the community that they and their traditions are not valued and not wanted. We don't want to send that message," Seth Anthony, a spokesman for the committee, told the Fort Collins, Colo., Coloradoan.

He said the recommended language does not specifically address Christmas trees by name, but the consensus was that they would not fall within acceptable decorations.

What will be allowed are white lights and "secular" symbols not associated "with any particular holiday" such as icicles, unadorned greenery and snowflakes, the task force said.

The group was made up of members of the city's business and religious communities as well as representatives from some community groups. Members met for months to review the existing holiday display policy, which allowed white as well as multi-colored lights and wreaths and garlands.
    In previous years, there also was a Christmas tree at the city's Oak Street Plaza.

A vote on the proposal will be coming up before the city council on Nov. 20, officials said.

"As far as I'm concerned, the group ended up in a very fair place in which primarily secular symbols will be used on city property," task force member Saul Hopper told the newspaper.

The existing holiday display rules were adopted in 2006 after a rabbi requested that the city display a menorah.

The only apparent exception to the completely secular rule would be at the Fort Collins Museum, where a "multicultural display" of symbols and objects would be collected to represent Diwali, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and Christmas among others.

"I expect criticism from people who feel like we are taking Christmas away. And I expect we will get criticism from people who think educational display endorses religions," Anthony said. "(But) to the extent we can, recognizing that offending no one will be impossible, we want to be inclusive."

City officials touted their own efforts.

"I am really delighted to see us taking this step," Mayor Doug Hutchinson said when the task force was being assembled. "I think Fort Collins is a great city, and I think great cities are inclusionary."

In a forum for the Coloradoan, outrage was pretty evident.

"Let's spend our CHRISTMAS money somewhere that believes in CHRISTMAS!" wrote barbie333. "Where does the 'PC-ization' stop? Maybe if the town leaders realize that we do not live in Boulder (or California)!?"

Added "Stick," "No Virginia, there is no Santa Claus, he is dead from lack of political correctness and the elves have all been sent to China to make toys."

"Seth Anthony says, 'Some symbols, even though the Supreme Court has declared that in many contexts they are secular symbols, often still send a message to some members of the community that they and their traditions are not valued and not wanted. We don't want to send that message.' Guess what, Seth? That's EXACTLY the message you sent me!" added "notpc."

"If the city council decided to not acknowledge Christmas on public grounds this year then all city offices should be open for business on Dec. 25th, white lights shining! Don't want to offend anyone by stopping city business for a day to celebrate a holiday not everyone believes in," added Amidon.

I an soooooo sick of being politically correct, not trying to offend anyone to the detrement or our culture and holidays etc. When is this madness going to stop. When are we going to get sick of this and stop it before it goes any farther and we loose America. Why can't our government stand up to these people like the leader of Austrailia?

Someone needs to ask the mayor if he has footbaths in public places. Isn't that showing regligious preference?

Well if Christmas is such a bad thing, I guess I won't be spending any money in those towns that ban any signs of it. Same for stores.

I am a consumer and I celebrate Christmas, if you want my business show me you want me. If not, hasta la vista, baby!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Voters should ASK potential office-holders about their thoughts on preserving America before they vote them in office. Funny how 'they' want to preserve wildlife, birds, fish,trees but civilized American life is endangered by the same commies who protect cry over polar bears in their imagined iceless world. I personally think we should let all predatory WILD animals become extinct if that is what happens, no intervention. Who needs killer animals anyway? But these nutcases cry for bengal tigers that eat up humans all the time and they could care less about all the abortions and particularily the tasteful partial-birth abortion, so inventive! Hello??? Inquiring minds are waking up to the facts.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    I an soooooo sick of being politically correct, not trying to offend anyone to the detrement or our culture and holidays etc. When is this madness going to stop. When are we going to get sick of this and stop it before it goes any farther and we loose America. Why can't our government stand up to these people like the leader of Austrailia?

Because their not of Scottish decent like the Aussies !. But seriously its getting to the point that soon we won't be able to decorate our own Houses this has got to stop.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Everyone seems to think all of California is pro illegal aliens, I'm here to tell you that's not the case. All of the native born American Californian's that I know are just as angry and mad as the rest of America. The problem is that we were invaded first and nobody cared until it started happening to their states.

Here in California we already have our Christmas decorations going up and so far I only see the traditional decorations.

These people sound like they seriously need to get a life.

And what if someone DARES to use green or red lights -- will they be arrested? Taken to court? Have their power turned off?

I mean, how absurd is it going to get?

I like the idea of avoiding these types of places when I do my CHRISTMAS shopping.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I wouldnt shop at any of the stores.... Drive to Denver and get into the Christmas spirit

Put this Goony Goo Goo Politician in the bread line on the next election
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"They" are so afraid of offending folks---So someone please tell me--

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE OFFENDED?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast