Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bob Barr Expands on his Border Security/Illegal Immigration

/We also must transform our immigration bureaucracy and process that both impede legal immigration and encourage illegal immigration.

Bob Barr on: Border Security & Immigration

Republicans and Democrats in Congress and The White House have failed to adequately address the services and growing problem of illegal immigration. In essence, America has too many illegal immigrants and too few legal ones, particularly those with unique entrepreneurial, professional and scientific skills.

The government must address both immigration issues.

The border can never be completely open or completely closed. But the starting point of any immigration policy is to secure the borders to the extent possible. America needs to be able to check potential immigrants, criminal background, communicable disease and possible terrorism. Only by deterring massive illegal border crossings can the U.S. put in place a fair and enforceable legal immigration policy.

Equally important, we must end government benefits and services for illegal immigrants. Many local communities and states have begun to reduce payments to those who come here illegally, but a 1982 Supreme Court decision mandates that we provide education to the children of illegal immigrants. This detrimental ruling should be overturned through another Court challenge or a constitutional amendment.

Government and public hospitals also are forced to treat illegal immigrants for all manner of problems (over and above true emergency care). This costs states billions of dollars annually in medical costs. Private charities may support whomever they believe to be worthy of help, but taxpayers should not be forced to subsidize those who illegally enter America. Free health care and education benefits create a powerful economic incentive for illegal immigration.

The U.S. also should reconsider the policy of “birthrightâ€

MW
    I don't know why in the world Barr thinks we need to increase legal immigration. I've heard it said that we take in more legal immigrants annually than all othe countries combined. It's a fact that we accept more legal immigrants as permanent residents than any other country in the world.

I see no mention of a border fence or work place enforcement, nor does he declare himself as an opponent to amensty.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW:

Bob Barr will never be able to make you and me totally happy. You and I know that.

I want to cease, change, jail, punish, export, and become a strong America again for all citizens.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It does not say he wants to increase immigration it says he wants to increase immigration that is economically useful. So that need not be more immigrants
    it could just be more that are skilled and fewer relatives.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Richard wrote:

It does not say he wants to increase immigration it says he wants to increase immigration that is economically useful. So that need not be more immigrants
    it could just be more that are skilled and fewer relatives.
    I disagree. It certainly looks as if he is talking about increasing legal immigration to me. period. Legal immigrants are already supposed to be economically productive, aren't they?

In essence, America has too many illegal immigrants and too few legal ones
    We need to sharply increase the number of economically productive people allowed to enter the U.S. Americans benefit greatly from such immigration.
    The best policy would be to stop illegal immigrant flows while accepting more of the world’s economically productive who want to come to America.
    I'm not fooled by his word usage.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I don't know why in the world Barr thinks we need to increase legal immigration. I've heard it said that we take in more legal immigrants annually than all othe countries combined. It's a fact that we accept more legal immigrants as permanent residents than any other country in the world.

I see no mention of a border fence or work place enforcement, nor does he declare himself as an opponent to amensty.
    The American Conservative magazine published an interview with Bob Barr in their May 5th issue, unfortunately it's only in the print version and not on their website.. a couple of the questions were on immigration

TAC: Would the Libertarian Party have trouble with your views on immigration?

Bob Barr: Some members might have trouble with my views on some other issues - drugs, the marriage issue, even though on both of those issues, I hold a strong federalism position, which is to me very consistent with Libertarian philosophy.

On the issue of immigration, my focus is consistent with the platform, and that is securing the border. I am not talking about physical securing. I don't favor a fence. If there is economic opportunity, people should be free to come into this country and participate in the market...

TAC: Does that mean you favor a guestworker program?

Bob Barr: Yes. I think people ought to be able to come in and compete for jobs as long as they submit to an immigration procedure that ensures they do not pose a security or health risk. Internally, let the market dictate if there is a place for folks.

It is important to start removing the government-program incentives that bring people here. The market ought to be the incentive, not welfare programs.
    The American Conservative

Bail out families, not usurers and speculators.

LP is for having Walmart having blue light specials on GREEN cards.

This is nuts "We need to sharply increase the number of economically productive people allowed to enter the U.S. Americans".

Yea sure - I'll never ever vote for this clown - "sharply" there's already too many and he want's "sharply" increase.
    Also
    "let the market dictate if there is a place for folks" which means no limits

This is just another political hack more interested in self service than serving. Our country is in a recession, we have lost more jobs than acquired, and we need an increased workforce? Our wages have been flattened thanks to all the legal immigrants from India and other countries, and this policy will only serve to increase the gap between the former middle class and the upper crust.

My husband was displaced by two engineers from Germany, was unemployed for 2 years, and is now making less than half of his former pay. He will be retiring in less than 10 years so faces that age problem in getting a job. He should have been at the financial pinacle of his career and he is making less than most illegals, because we have to pay taxes, healthcare and do not receive any benefits.

When it hits this close to home, I will not trust this type of pandering. But we are not alone, we have far too many friends at this stage in life who are experiencing the exact same problem in the job market - a flood of foreigners who are dropping the wages like a rock. For us, it is not a recession but a depression. If it has not hit your job or industry yet, just wait a minute - its coming.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot
    This is just another political hack more interested in self service than serving. Our country is in a recession, we have lost more jobs than acquired, and we need an increased workforce? Our wages have been flattened thanks to all the legal immigrants from India and other countries, and this policy will only serve to increase the gap between the former middle class and the upper crust.

My husband was displaced by two engineers from Germany, was unemployed for 2 years, and is now making less than half of his former pay. He will be retiring in less than 10 years so faces that age problem in getting a job. He should have been at the financial pinacle of his career and he is making less than most illegals, because we have to pay taxes, healthcare and do not receive any benefits.

When it hits this close to home, I will not trust this type of pandering. But we are not alone, we have far too many friends at this stage in life who are experiencing the exact same problem in the job market - a flood of foreigners who are dropping the wages like a rock. For us, it is not a recession but a depression. If it has not hit your job or industry yet, just wait a minute - its coming.
    I can relate, I'm an engineer and usally the only American in a group - most are here on H1b's and I get to watch them roll out the carpet and do their daily praying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast