Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo/Hunter
    Paul
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Criminals go to extremes to hide identities

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... reme_N.htm

Criminals go to extremes to hide identities
    Posted 14h 5m ago | Comments346 | Recommend28 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge By Spencer Platt, Getty Images

A man is fingerprinted after he was caught illegally crossing the U.S. border from Mexico in June 2006. Such checks are prompting some people to turn to sophisticated methods of altering their fingerprints.

Enlarge U.S. Border Patrol

Mateo Cruz-Cruz, 25, arrested last month near Douglas, Ariz., had burned his fingertips

Digg del.icio.us Newsvine Reddit Facebook What's this? By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY
    It was after dark when Border Patrol agents in Douglas, Ariz., nabbed Mateo Cruz-Cruz allegedly jumping the fence from Mexico. So they didn't notice anything unusual about his fingers.
    When they got him to the station to take his fingerprints, special operations supervisor Ulysses Duronslet says, the agents made a gruesome discovery: The tips of the 25-year-old man's fingers were blackened and burned.

Cruz-Cruz had been deported in March 2004 and had a prior conviction for sexual assault of a minor in Iowa.

Cruz-Cruz, arrested last month, is only one example of what the U.S. Border Patrol says is a disturbing phenomenon along the nation's borders: criminals and illegal immigrants going to extremes to try to conceal their identities.

"This is a result of our biometric and technological capabilities," Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar says.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Mexico | Border Patrol | Criminals
    As the government expands efforts to catch and identify people trying to get into the country illegally, Aguilar says he and his agents expect to come across more physical disfigurement.

"Whenever we do something, there's always a counteraction to try to beat it," says Manuel Padilla, chief agent in New Orleans. "We are getting more cases where they try to hide their identity."

Efforts to alter or erase fingerprints go back many decades. In the 1930s, infamous gangster and bank robber John Dillinger tried to burn his prints off with corrosive acid.

Today, government agents say more people are taking similar steps to try to get into the country — a response to post-9/11 efforts to tighten security along the borders.

In addition to installing cameras and sensors and hiring more agents, the Homeland Security Department has been collecting and storing images of all 10 fingerprints from virtually everyone they catch coming across the border since 2004.

The prints are checked against the FBI's criminal database and terrorist watch list.

Agents say those checks are prompting some people to turn to more sophisticated methods than burning their prints to avoid detection — including plastic surgery.

Padilla says agents in Baton Rouge picked up a woman at a bus station in June after she became nervous and evasive when an officer approached her. When they brought her to the station, agents found that "the quality of her fingerprints was very poor," he says.

Under questioning, Yissel Sosa Nunez of the Dominican Republic said she had paid a plastic surgeon $2,000 to cut and overlap her prints to create new prints — "like a tummy tuck" on her fingers, Padilla says.

He says Nunez told agents she did it because she was desperate to be with her child, who lived in New York City with her mother.

The surgery left a faint scar down the middle of each print.

"This was one of the better ones we've seen," Padilla says, "not one of the 'Super Glue specials,' " where people try to cover their prints.

In most cases, agents say, those who try to surgically alter their prints are serious criminals.

In May 2006, a Jamaican man facing money-laundering charges was sentenced to 13 months in prison after trying to get into the USA through the border crossing in Nogales, N.M. Agents noticed Marc Terrance George's fingerprints; they were still healing from surgery he'd had to try to replace them with skin from his feet. And he was limping.

"This case demonstrates what extraordinary and drastic measures people will take to enter our country illegally," then-U.S. attorney Paul Charlton said after George's sentencing. "It proves as well that our fingerprint identification systems have gained a significant reputation in the criminal world."

Last week, George's surgeon, Jose Covarrubias, pleaded guilty in Harrisburg, Pa., to federal charges of harboring and concealing a fugitive.

The charges stemmed from his involvement with a drug ring that included George.

The Border Patrol doesn't keep statistics on how many people have tried to alter their fingerprints in recent years, but "we've noticed this trend," Duronslet says. "They're trying to cheat the system."
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Which Candidate Looks Best ?
    The one with the best hair.

(You can't tell I'm follicly-challenged, can you...???)
    Duncan Hunter has the best hair, plus, wants to stop Free Trade especially with China, and secure the borders,

Ron Paul's hair is not so good, but, wants to get rid of the Federal Reserve and the IRS...hum lets see...

Tom Tancredo his hair is OK, but his heart is All American.

It's hard to choose. All I know is I don't want those Dam Democrats.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!
    Tom Tancredo is my choice.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

It's too bad Senator Jeff Sessions isn't running. I would love to see him run as president and pick up Tancredo, Paul, or Hunter as V.P.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ron Paul may want to get rid of IRS but I don't see that happening . I think a flat tax is best .
    I personally feel at this time a vote for Paul is a vote for islam . He has the muslim vote on his side .

www.muslimsvoteronpaul.com/

Paul went out of his way to meet 800 US islamic organizations ,the ONLY REPUBLICAN present .

I like a lot of Pauls ideas ,but the one where he stands up with islam is not one I can ignore . I think islam is just as dangerous to us as illeagals for different reasons .

I don't think the muslims need anymore protectors from Israel . In fact I think the wore thing we could do is to help advance this theocracy of submission .

Every nation they enter into becomes a nation of poverty, dictatorship , bondage and misery,imo . Darfur most recent tragidy . Sudan ,India,Pakastan ,Indonesia ,Thailand ,iran ,Lebanon,Iraq now , Phillipines ,all these have the help of the Sauds .

UK is now learning the hard way about alowing non assimilating sects into their land .France has known for awhile now ,Norway ,Australia and some parts of America are fast seeing what can happen when freedom meets bondage .

Why is it ok for all these nations to help each other take over and subject world citizens, yet Israel should be abandoned for Palistine ? I don't see the reasoning .

NOamNASTY-
    Ron Paul is for Islam? What have you been reading? Why do you think he has the Muslim vote?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NoamNASTY, This link doesn't state anywhere that Paul is either for or against islam.
    I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the reasons muslims like him is because he wants us out of Iraq and out of middle eastern politics and for the US to have different foriegn policy.
    The middle east is their sacred homeland, and they view us as violaters.

I do agree with you on the subject that islam is dangerous for America. I know there are peaceful muslims, but the fact that both peaceful muslims and islamic terrorists follow the Quran is enough to have me worried. The Quran specifically tells muslims that it's okay to lie if they are under duress, and it also tells them that they should have no tolerance for anyone outside islam.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Some things I agree with Duncan Hunter on,

Don't spend my taxes on your abortions ,

Don't tear up a nation then leave it in civil war,

No land for peace in Israel

Monitor slavery in Sudan

No cloning of humans .

Don't nessasary agree with plan for getting out of iraq or use of nukes in iran .

www.ontheissues.org/Duncan_Hunter.htm#Control

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    NOamNASTY-
    Ron Paul is for Islam? What have you been reading? Why do you think he has the Muslim vote?

I have proven this with websites here and other threads .

I don't have anything personally against any of them, I just refuse to make same mistakes I did with bush ,twice ! Bush is another muslim sympathizer .

We have lost the religion of our nation to islam . No more alligence to flag, no more prayer in schools ,no more Ten Commandments, yet me and my fellow Americans have to pay for FOOT BATHS in AIRPORTS of all places . Footbaths in schools, stadiums and muslim prayers blasted out with loud speakers in our cities FIVE times a day . Why do they get to carry signs in Dearborn Mi. ," BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM " when the Israseli-Lebanon war was going on ?

Wheres the ACLU and the atheist on this bull crap ? Why islam special previleges ? Whats going on and who all is involved ?

All legal immigrants who want to join us are welcome ,including muslims . But where do you find assimilating muslims ?

Why is Paul so popular with this group ? Someone answer these questions .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast