Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CNN/YouTube debate 8 GOP Hopefuls 11-28-07 7:00 Eastern

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/28/ ... index.html

GOP hopefuls step into unknown at CNN/YouTube debateStory Highlights
    Questions expected to differ from those used in Democratic YouTube debate

First time eight GOP candidates have faced off in more than a month

CNN's political team has viewed nearly 5,000 videos for the GOP debate

(CNN) -- Eight Republican presidential hopefuls are preparing for a challenge unlike anything they've faced as they step onto the stage for their party's first CNN/YouTube debate Wednesday in St. Petersburg, Florida.

The Republican hopefuls will face off Wednesday in a CNN/YouTube debate, just as Democrats did in July.

1 of 2 more photos » The candidates will be fielding video questions submitted by the public via the YouTube Web site, just as Democratic White House candidates did in July.

CNN's political team has viewed nearly 5,000 videos for the GOP debate -- about 2,000 more than they saw for the Democrats' debate.

As the questions have poured in, CNN's producers have noticed a big difference in comparison to the submissions for the Democratic debate.

The issues on the minds of the YouTube voters in this debate, to be televised on CNN at 8 p.m. ET, are vastly different from what came in for the Democrats, said Sam Feist, CNN's political director.

The topics that came up most often for the GOP debate included immigration, conservative values, economic issues and taxes, according to David Bohrman, Washington bureau chief and senior vice president for CNN. Watch what to expect in Wednesday night's debate »

CNN/YouTube debate
    GOP candidates face questions from YouTube.
    Wednesday, 8 p.m. ET

While CNN producers won't say which 40 or so questions are going to make the cut, viewers can expect to see divisive questions, controversial questions, and questions that will set the candidates apart.

"This debate is to let Republican voters pick from among their eight candidates," Bohrman said. "We are trying to focus mostly on questions where there are differences among these candidates."

Wednesday's debate is the first time the GOP candidates have faced off on the same stage in over a month.

Since then, the tough talk between former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has intensified. The campaigns of former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee have continued pushing their way into the picture.

Don't Miss
    GOP hopefuls field YouTube queries with race undecided
    Funny, poignant questions pour in for GOP debate
    I-Report: Share your take on tonight's debate
    Florida Republicans reveal views on issues, candidates
    "The debate Wednesday night will be a three-ring circus. In the center ring, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney continue their smackdown," said CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider.

"In the second ring, Mike Huckabee tries to duck as his competitors throw brickbats at him, trying to expose his record in Arkansas as un-conservative.

"In ring three: Fred Thompson and [Arizona Sen.] John McCain try to grab the spotlight with some daring moves on the trapeze. There is also a sideshow: [Texas Rep.] Ron Paul. Step right up, folks," said Schneider.

The format of this debate is new to the candidates, and the White House hopefuls and their campaigns have no idea exactly what to expect.

"There is some sense of the unknown, and so they're going to be a little bit out of their normal comfort zone, which is a good thing," Bohrman said.

The user-generated format marks a major step toward involving people in the process of selecting a nominee. It's also changed the way people view presidential debates, Bohrman said.

Questions asked during the Democratic CNN/YouTube debate continue to resonate on the campaign trail, Feist said.

Producers wonder if any stars will be born during this week's debate, like when Billiam the Snowman made a guest appearance during the Democratic debate. Will Jackie Broyles and Dunlap be back with the Red State update?

"There are plenty of animated figures out there, there are certainly some funny questions, but more importantly, there are hundreds, if not thousands of really, really good, solid questions from real people on real issues," Feist said.

Giuliani and Romney with the cat claws out early, this is pretty funny
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Best debate BY FAR...... Over the first half-hour nothing but immigration. Yeah Giuliani and Romney trying to out-hawk each other on immigration. As Tom put it, "trying to out-Tancredo Tancredo"......Tom was simply AWESOME in his response to those poor souls that survive on cheap foreign labor. I like how McCain claimed that he was never for amnesty and the crowd MOANED!!!! Hunter was great in his statements about how the San Diego border fence has worked and how it should be extended all the way across. He got GREAT applaus and cheers from the crowd, and so did Tom......Huckabee by far came across the WORST. he was trying to defend giving in state tuition to illegals, saying "they earned it," and "let's not punish children for the mistakes of their parents." The scum bag DID NOT answer the question the young woman had asked and tried to play the sympathy card. Giuliani also failed IMO to be convincing that NY was not a sanctuary city. Claiming it only had to do with health care treatment and education. I don't think the guy understands the definition of sanctuary city. I CAN NOT believe that the NAU was actually discussed in the presidential debates We've come a long way.....Paul's response was very good.

I think this debate is very telling about where this nation is right now. THEY CAN NOT HIDE FROM US!!!!! These issues have to be adressed, and the nation is HOT right not about this issue!!
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

WELL, we can thank Tancredo and the American patriots calling the congress and shutting down the phones that got this discussion in prime time FINALLY.

I'm glad to hear they moaned. That says A LOT.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    WELL, we can thank Tancredo and the American patriots calling the congress and shutting down the phones that got this discussion in prime time FINALLY.
    Exactly what I was thinking. All of our hard work has paid off, and I just know that Tom's strategy of staying in this thing to keep the topic alive is a HUGE reason it has dominated this debate.

Sure the hell does. The energy in that place is electric! The crowd cheering lowdly for Tom and Duncan when they talked about enforcing the law and building the fence. The crowd sounded utterly DISGUSTED with McCain! He tried to gather himself through the moans and hisses, and just looked defeated delivering the rest of his response. It was GOLDEN.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo

Can you hear me now? Alittle message for the OBL Crowd, the Illegal Immigration debate will not go away. We will keep it a frontline issue.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

JAK
    McCain is absolutely sickening!!!!

Did you go and visit the troops... so you could come back and say "I", "I", "I" JUST FOR RECOGINITION!!!!!!!!!!!! You stand up there like you are the best candidate on the stage... and in REALITY... YOU ARE WORSE THAN ANY OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you were tortured... but I am sick to death of your "know it all" attitude!!!!!!!!!

SIT DOWN MCCAIN, SHUT UP AND GO HOME...WE ARE SICK OF YOU!!!!! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SICKENING!!!!!!!!!!!

.......and I'm happy you getting lots of boos... you DESERVE eveyone of them!!!!!!!!!

...oh and stop looking at other candidates... like your mad as hell for their stand.... guess what the American people are mad as hell at YOU...your done!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    Some of these guys "sound" good, but what is their past record...

we can't leave this one to TRUST ALONE! They make it very tempting... but we have to be "SMART" this time around. We can't let them tickle our ears with what we want to hear, but we have to be able to see through them ... to their agenda. We need to find out the facts...if they have been consistent on an issue and now changing...IT'S DANGEROUS TO TRUST THEM NOW!! God help us and our country!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Ron Paul got more air time than Tancredo but neither one got as much as the others.

Good debate.

I thought it was funny when Huckebee(sp?) said he would like to see Hillery put in a rocket ship and sent to Mars.

Duncan Hunter was great. Ron Paul was great. Tom Tancredo was great.

John McPain was the worst. He needs to go somewhere and leave us alone. He ain't gettin it.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast