Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

W,

We quit having Halloween several years ago. I've noticed the last couple of years that my block isn't even decorating for Halloween anymore. What used to be a happy time taking pictures of the neighborhood kids in their costumes and handing out homemade treats became being swamped by truckloads of unfamiliar hispanics who also broke our side mirrors off our cars and did other property destruction even though we had handed them out candy. On the surface, this might seem to be racist. However, the fact is that hispanic behavior caused us to move to protect ourselves and our property. One Halloween, they even climbed on my roof and stomped around.... I don't know why. And there were adults waiting in trucks watching this happen. We had done nothing but give out candy and admire whatever costume they had concocted. Something's changed and a holiday that was enjoyable has now become one that allows uncontrolled aggressiveness on our streets. I would not condone that no matter what the race. Unfortunately, here, it seems to be promoted by the one group. Hiding it under the rug won't change it. If hispanic parents don't like the outcome, maybe they should accept the responsibility for teaching their children some manners. To me, this is not a racial problem but more one of civic responsibility.
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    W,

We quit having Halloween several years ago. I've noticed the last couple of years that my block isn't even decorating for Halloween anymore. What used to be a happy time taking pictures of the neighborhood kids in their costumes and handing out homemade treats became being swamped by truckloads of unfamiliar hispanics who also broke our side mirrors off our cars and did other property destruction even though we had handed them out candy. On the surface, this might seem to be racist. However, the fact is that hispanic behavior caused us to move to protect ourselves and our property. One Halloween, they even climbed on my roof and stomped around.... I don't know why. And there were adults waiting in trucks watching this happen. We had done nothing but give out candy and admire whatever costume they had concocted. Something's changed and a holiday that was enjoyable has now become one that allows uncontrolled aggressiveness on our streets. I would not condone that no matter what the race. Unfortunately, here, it seems to be promoted by the one group. Hiding it under the rug won't change it. If hispanic parents don't like the outcome, maybe they should accept the responsibility for teaching their children some manners. To me, this is not a racial problem but more one of civic responsibility.
    That stuff needs to be filmed and turned over to the police...

I see your point, William. But when I was a kid, I never went to "better" neighborhoods to trick-or-treat. I just stayed in my own neighborhood.

But in San Diego, there's no denying the very large numbers of Hispanics (most likely many of them here illegally) who don't even bother to wear a costume, but knock on doors holding out their sacks. Now, having said this, I'd be JUST AS INDIGNANT if this type of behavior was occurring with White kids, Asian kids, Black kids, and so on. The fact that they're Hispanic isn't what upsets me; it's the behavior itself that bothers me. I simply don't think that Halloween should be abused in such a way.

But again, I DO see your point. This isn't about any group's ethnicity. For me, this post is about a certain behavior and attitude that doesn't sit well with me, regardless of the ethnicity of those responsible.
    I think this is basically what it boils down to and ethnicity does not have anything to do with it.
    IMO, Halloween used to be a community event. Kids and parents walked to houses nearby. In a rural area, parents drove them to neighbor's houses. It was fun to see the costumes and this was a time when the adults would chitchat, too. If a family was new to the neighborhood, this exchange of greetings (and candy) helped them become a part of the community. This was as much a part of the holiday as giving out candy. When kids were older and went out on our own, when we went to a house we spoke politely with the adult giving out the candy, usually they would comment on our costumes, and always said thank you. If we had pounded on the door, shouted 'trick or treat, grabbed a piece of candy and run, believe me we would have heard about it.
    Having a mob of kids, some WAY past the trick or treating age, descend en masse on my house, running across the lawn not bothering to use the sidewalk, leaning on the doorbell-ding ding ding! or banging on the door, grabbing their candy then running to the next house just does not get it for me.
    I have heard various excuses for this, none of which hold water.
    1)' their neighborhoods are not 'safe' to trick or treat in' Oh really? This has never stopped them from having impromptu 'street festivals' that run late into the night and there are always alot of people outside no matter what time it is.
    2 'they are too poor to buy candy to give out' Sorry. Stores have huge bags of stuff you can buy for a couple bucks. If you give one piece per kid you could get by on $5.
    The simple fact is that this is yet another example of people who simply do not want to bother with the effort of having Halloween in their own neighborhoods, putting on a costume or anything else. They simply show up in my neighborhood expecting a handout.
    Five years ago, everybody used to decorate for Halloween, this year almost no one did including me. We used to have some really great houses. Halloween has become nothing more than banging on stranger's doors and demanding candy.
    Like so many other things, this tradition that has been part of American life for so long has been ruined by people who refuse to play by the rules (if your kid is out collecting candy, you should be giving some out too, wear a costume even if it is a very simple one, etc.) Next year I am decorating the back yard and having a party. I have had enough.
    (Halloween rant over)

Banned
    Lets just lighten Up Guys Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner...

Not one kid this year.

W,

I'm sorry that my post seemed anti-Hispanic. That was not my purpose. It was more of a rant about Halloween still being a community event in some areas of town, but in many other areas, the communities no longer sponsor such activities at home, and bring truckloads of their kids to the communities that do and take advantage of their generosity.

I completely agree with this quote:

This isn't about any group's ethnicity. For me, this post is about a certain behavior and attitude that doesn't sit well with me, regardless of the ethnicity of those responsible.
    As a kid, I knew which other kids were from the surrounding neighborhoods, and we'd greet them as such. But when big groups of kids come by later on at night, half too old to trick or treat, half without costumes, half not even saying "trick or treat," then, yeah, I get ticked off about it. And due to the increasing number of Hispanics in Dallas, many of these large groups that are not from our neighborhood, who are acting this way, are Hispanic.

It was never meant to be a racist remark, I was simply stating the facts about what I had witnessed since I was a kid. It was stated in pure disbelief that my neighbors, all of which are Hispanic (for two blocks around, I'm the only white person, BTW) with families, do not encourage the unity of the community during Halloween in their own neighborhood, but go to other strange neighborhoods to celebrate Halloween. But they do foster community with their neighborhood parties. So I find myself confused as to why they would celebrate other occasions at home, but Halloween in strange neighborhoods. I have no problem with my Hispanic neighbors, and I am not against Hispanics, or any race. I do not know if this is something to do with something in their culture that I do not understand (anyone care to educate me, as I'm always trying to learn and educate myself about different cultures).

So please, W, do not take my remarks as racist, as that was not their intent. You can look at my posts and see that I try to always be honest and have an honorable view of everyone. I do have a problem with illegal lawbreakers, though, and will say so.

TexasGal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234