Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We are going through this journey in our town. I have been emailing the council for a long time now about it. Another local activist has asked the council three times for it. The county sheriff thought it was more fluff than substance -he said that today on public radio. Here is a topic on what's been going on if you want to skim it.

http://www.waukegan.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6976

On page 3 of the thread is the guy's speech if you are anyone want to see it and the reasons the council said no... (we ain't stopping though). Listening on the radio this week I've learned lots of people still don't know what it is. We have to spread the word so they'll ask for it.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Well I made a decent presentation urging the Public Safety Committee to adopt the 287(g) program at the meeting tonight. There was a prepared response by both Chairman Rivera and Deputy Chief Greathouse after I finished. The general unspoken tone of this response was that they ain't interested. The gist of the official resonse was:

1. We already have a good working reltionship with ICE so we don't need to do this.

2. We don't have enough holding facilities to do this.

3. They come back after they've been deported.

The following is a general summary of my presentation to the committee. I did record their response but I think my recorder malfunctioned.

I’m here to urge this committee to make a decision that will effect positive change in our city. Many of you have heard of the 287(g) program. What is 287(g)? In 1996 Congress amended the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide local law enforcement with the training and subsequent authorization to identify, process, and when appropriate, detain immigration offenders they encounter during their regular, daily law-enforcement activity. There is no charge for this training, which usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks. This training focuses on immigration law, civil rights, intercultural relations, and the issues and illegalities surrounding racial profiling.

How does the authority granted under 287(g) differ from the inherent arrest authority that local police departments presently have? In 2002 Attorney General Ashcroft concluded that arresting aliens who have violated either criminal provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) or civil provisions of the INA that render an alien deportable “is within the inherent authority of the states.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

May be helpful.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cacheF ... .pdf+287(g)&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

Testimony on 287g program by a professor of law, includes part about gangs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00975.html

interview with ICE director, also a link near bottom with 287g success stories.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: HELP! When speaking to authorities, how do I hide my an

Quote Originally Posted by dxd
    We once had an elected executive that turned a deaf ear to our legitimate concerns and we did sustained legal and peaceful protests at his HOUSE! Morning, noon, and night. Rain and shine. His neighbors sure didn't like it. He did not run for re-election.
    Someone needs to do this to Chertoff!

In response to the original topic, imho strength in numbers might be considered - get 10-15 from your community to confront the authority together with you next time. I agree with was said about talking down to them too..
    The American Conservative

Bail out families, not usurers and speculators.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123