"This was a special circumstance by the oil spill. Our message is that it is important that the posts are intended for legal workers," he said.

St. Bernard Parish, the county where the station is Hopedale, said the local government had nothing to do with visits by ICE.

Thousands of undocumented Hispanic immigrants who came to assist in reconstruction efforts after Hurricane Katrina have stayed at the región.Unos founded colonies on the outskirts of New Orleans, while others turned to fishing.

Hispanics interviewed by this newspaper say they have received the message that only those workers whose legal status shall be eligible to work, but yearn to participate in the cleanup.

Achilles, a worker from Mexico who works at a gas station in Kenner, Louisiana, and who declined to use his full name because he is undocumented, said: "During Katrina we worked well and it was recovered, and right now we need to work in oil and cleaning. It needs to work even though we do not have papers, and cleanliness is important. "

Despite this newspaper ICE inspections could see that some undocumented workers have been unable to obtain work of BP and its contractors.

An oyster fisherman from El Salvador, who declined to reveal their identity or their workplace for fear of being deported, is working by placing a protective barrier against oil around the islands.

"You always walk in fear that immigration will come," he admitted.

The young Salvadoran told that although it feels safe is willing to continue working on pulling barriers because contractors pay $ 360 a day.

"I came because I have my children and my wife, to give them a better life. My uncle gave me money to come here. Perhaps here repayment terms, "he said.

“¿Inmigración? Immigrant workers do not know how long it will work for them on the coasts of Louisiana, but they do have one certainty: "immigration? They will come again, "said Roberto Granados, a documented worker from Mexico who is working on the boats for BP.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... 2oGfCaKt-g