Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What disguists me is that when my daughter went to high school all the Hispanic kids were allowed to take Spanish for their language credits even though they were fluent in it. Yet the school claims that you are not allowed to do that.
    The same thing in Florida. They say they can't do that. But they do.
    It's enforced the way the borders are enforced. You can't do that. Yea....right !! Se se puede.

Oh, BTW, our school has the Quaran Club. Can you believe it ? Now what if I or someone else went there and tried to start a Bible Club in a public school.

That wouldn't fly in an American public high school......but the Quaran Club is acceptable.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

LegalUSCitzen, I live in Miami and my daughter went to Michael Krop High School. It is funny you say about starting a bible club as recently my friend whose daughter also used to go to the same high school told me about something to that affect. Her daughter and her friends would come to school early one day during the school year and say prayers by the flag pole. They got into trouble for that by one teacher. She went to the school and asked them why as the kids did not preach their religion to others, did not bother anyone and they do have a right to freedom of religion. The person she spoke to told her that it was a Jewish school and she asked them then why is it called a public school and under the public board of education. Isn't this insane.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by dragons5
    Quote Originally Posted by jean
    My boys also went to high school in California and they didn't have to take spanish unless they planned to immediately enter a 4 yr college after graduation.
    that sickens me
    I feel I should clarify that 2 yrs of any foreign language satisfies the requirement but obviously spanish is by far the most popular here.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I moved here and when I went to Highschool in Miami they said that I had to take French again (I've only taken it since 2nd grade in my country). I wanted to learn spanish. Of course my school said that I couldn't take it because classes were full. Then I asked my hispanic kids who barely speak English are taking Spanish class when they shouldn't... Well my Highschool screwed me over really bad because I kept on fighting the school in reference to "preferential" treatment of these hispanics. They made me take classes I didn't want or need, plus they lowered my GPA by a ton in Government, Law, Math, English, and Science. How can a kid get A's on test yet get a 1 point something GPA? This so isn't fair. Besides, the war is only starting with me againt Dade County Public Schools over that since my school refuses to let me see my transcript or graduate me after 3 years of fighting.
    "I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio" - Rodney Dangerfield

Re: la Raza in high schools

Quote Originally Posted by bay_650
    she gave me a C- totally MOD EDIT up my GPA and she would give this kids from Mexico an A MOD EDIT.....
    Why didn't your parents go to the principle and challenge this grade?

What did she do to try to "mexicanize" you? just curious of what to look for.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

There are sure a lot of us here from Florida. I wish FLIMEN could have a place where we could post and talk together. Thank God for ALIPAC.

I bet we could share so many stories together, us Floridians. Although I don't mean to take anything away from all the other people.....somehow with the exception of perhaps Southern California.....I have a feeling that maybe we've been through more than any other American citizens in any other state, at least those of us who have lived in Dade County.

Re: la Raza in high schools

Quote Originally Posted by krazynbama
    Quote Originally Posted by bay_650
    she gave me a C- totally MOD EDIT up my GPA and she would give this kids from Mexico an A MOD EDIT.....
    Why didn't your parents go to the principle and challenge this grade?

What did she do to try to "mexicanize" you? just curious of what to look for.
    Everything was Mexican Independence day or day of the dead.... I don't care about Mexico or Colombia like my teachers were trying to push on me. I had a whole lecture one day about some airports in Colombia instead of learning american government, and about how mexicans live in Mexico. They were trying to make everyone feel sorry about Mexicans trying to cross the boreder and try to tell us how we don't understand anything. My principle was hispanic, and he was in the hospital with a stroke. All the people in the main office are either Cuban or some type of hispanic. I'm just going straight to the district main office. I'm tired of trying to get a hold of the principle when he refuses to see parents of even counsilers who refuse to call you back or even see you.

I told one teacher off basically because I had more of a trouble crossing the border than some Mexican did, and he gave me an F for the whole week because he didn't want to believe my story over a Mexican's story. What is up with that?
    "I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio" - Rodney Dangerfield

It's not to say that there aren't some wonderful Hispanic people in Miami, and some of my closest friends are either first and mostly second generation legal immigrants from Cuba, ......it's just the insanity of losing your country without having left it.

It's crazy. It's sad. It's unbelievable.

I have to reiterate how many good and nice and fantastic Cuban Americans there really are in Miami. However, when we finally got out of Dade County almost five years ago......I confided to my husband that it was getting so crazy being an American there that the thought was starting to go through my head that maybe, just maybe one of us could get pulled over for a traffic ticket and something bad could happen to us by a police officer because we were Americans.

I don't know exactly what I thought could happen.......but it's just to say that the vibes towards American born Americans was getting really strange.

We were the minority....for sure....for sure.

I had an illegal alien in Miami attempt to bump me out of my job as a pre-school teacher towards the end of our time living there. By the grace of God, the principal of the school was curious as to the "motivation" behind this person.....and then they found out that her documents were not in order and that she had no business working there, let alone being there.

She was fairly well-educated and could have fooled anyone.....and she fooled me. She was hired to be my assistant and within three weeks she was "inquiring" about the possibility of having my job. Her reasoning was because she spoke Spanish and I didn't speak it fluently. Can you imagine that ?!!

She got fired. No other action was taken to my knowledge. The principal was... oddly enough... an American. Whew.

I'll still maintain even though I have many more horror stories that I could tell, that there are some wonderful Americans of Cuban heritage down there. There are many who have assimilated and who are absolutely outstanding Americans and wonderful friends. I'll never forget them, and some I'm still in contact with.....but still.....there are no excuses for what an American can and probably will face there. None. Absolutely none.

My husband, born and raised in Miami helped me to sum up something that I would like to explain.

When the Cuban population in Miami reached about twenty percent, the government figured that they could not expect people to learn English in such a short time and so they began putting all government forms and papers in Spanish. What happened was that the Cubans began opening their own stores, pharmacies, insurance companies, etc. and essentially started their own micro-society.

The Cubans began only doing business with themselves and only hiring those who were Cuban or Latin.

Whereas the United States had just gone through the civil rights enlightenment and laws against discrimination were implemented, the people coming from Cuba were not in tune to this. They were able to get away with discrimination against Americans because they were not held to the EOE laws that the rest of America was being held to. Their population grew, the discrimination against Americans grew and it carried over into the elections. As they gained political power, the discrimination was even more overlooked and it was clear that the voice of the American people had been silenced.

Americans began leaving in the seventies when they began to no longer feel they were a part of Miami and it continued into the nineties.

So while the rest of America was learning about the danger and wrongfulness of discrimination.......in Miami discrimination was flourishing and the American citizen suffered, or moved or both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast