Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/06 ... -a-debate/

One of the central points of focus for the illegal immigration debate recently has been the use by employers of the federal government’s E-Verify system for checking the immigration status of potential or existing employees. Now Lamar Smith, the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, has introduced a bill, H.R. 2164, which purports to mandate E-Verify use for all American employers.

The merits of this legislation are pretty obvious, and have been cited by immigration enforcement and reform groups like FAIR in support of Smith’s bill. Getting corporations and businesses that have resisted the implementation of E-Verify for years to embrace a bill that compels employers to adopt it is an historic accomplishment. Forcing businesses to verify the eligibility of potential employees in the future is the precondition for stopping the influx of people coming here illegally in order to work in the United States.

However, the fact that the Chamber of Commerce is supporting this bill should set off alarm bells among anyone who’s concerned about immigration enforcement. This is the same organization that fought Arizona’s E-Verify law all the way to the Supreme Court. And as it turns out, one of the reasons the COC has decided to support this bill is because it preempts laws like the one in Arizona from being enacted in the future, as the outline of H.R. 2164 describes on Rep. Lamar Smith’s website. It also gives a wink and a nod to those agribusinesses employing illegal aliens right now, allowing those returning workers whose status hasn’t been verified to be exempt from the new law. These are just some of the reasons Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has spoken out against it, most eloquently in a New York Post op-ed.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

THIS BILLL NEEDS TO BE KILLED. IT WILL GIVE FULL LEGAL FIELD TO FEDS....TRY TO ENFORCE THEN.
    ROY BECK NEEDS TO BACK OFF ON THIS!

There are too many loopholes. The provisions that allow agribusinesses to grandfather in current illegal workers should kill this bill, but there are other objections. As you state, the fact that the feds want to preempt state laws-like Arizona's-shows you where they're headed with this. Preempt state laws, promise to force employers to use E-Verify for new hires, then promptly not enforce the law. We've been down this road before with Simpson-Mazzoli.

Related thread, other articles debating this:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-241085-.html
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

There is nothing wrong with patchwork quilts....JUST REMEMBER ONE FRIGGIN THING IDIOT.....DO NOT HIRE ILLEGALS!
    ROY BECK WILL PUSH MONDAY MORNING CAN SOMEBODY STOP THIS PUSH?

I understand where yal are coming from also and really would like a stronger bill also. But seriously who think's we're going to get a strong federal bill that takes effect anytime in the next 5-7 years? Next election we have to take a super majority lead in the senate, hold the house, and take the presidency.... and hope those who get in aren't RINO's and back Americans first.

Now with that said who really thinks the major 14 problem states are likely to pass E-Verify bills of their own? These states aren't working towards E-Verify but seperate pro illegal agenda's such as DL's to illegals, in-state tuition, state granted green cards, and so forth. E-Verify if other states will be useless if we lose those 14 states to illegals completely in the next 5-10 years. Sure, if you live in Arizona or one of the other good E-Verify states your doing alright for the next few years. But what happens when illegals gain more power by even more control through illegal voting? What happens when they become a bigger lobbying power? Do you think they won't try and pass a law straight banning E-verify and enforcement at all state levels?

This bill isn't great, yes. But its still a step in the right direction. Get it in the books and hopefully with more pressure and hopefully then an American President we can crack the hammer down on enforcement.

Plus one last thing people are forgeting. To actual take away States rights takes a Constitutional Amendment. States still will have the power after this law takes effect to file a suit that the Feds are taking away States Rights that are protected by the constitution and as of now the States still have a decent chance of winning to let states have their teeth back.

It's not even the bill as it stands that I have a problem with-although as I pointed out in my post at American Rattlesnake-I strongly object to the preemption provison. It's what will be done once this bill makes its way onto the President's desk, if it even makes it that far.

I have trouble believing it won't be completely enervated by the time its signed into law. What we'll have is a series of quasi-amnesties and a bunch of toothless enforcement provisons that the feds will never actually get around to enforcing. It'll be Simpson-Mazzoli redux.

Banned
    Watch Our LIVE E-Verify Webcast on Monday , June 20, beginning at 3 p.m. EDT, NumbersUSA will broadcast a LIVE webcast at http://www.numbersusa.tv to discuss the recently offered E-Verify legislation by House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith. NumbersUSA President Roy Beck and Director of Government Relations Rosemary Jenks will review all the details of the bill and answer any questions you may have. You can submit your questions to stateaction2011@numbersusa.com or send your questions to us through our Facebook page or Twitter Feed. We'll also answer any questions you send in through Facebook or Twitter during the webcast.

Quote Originally Posted by topsecret10
    Watch Our LIVE E-Verify Webcast on Monday , June 20, beginning at 3 p.m. EDT, NumbersUSA will broadcast a LIVE webcast at http://www.numbersusa.tv to discuss the recently offered E-Verify legislation by House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith. NumbersUSA President Roy Beck and Director of Government Relations Rosemary Jenks will review all the details of the bill and answer any questions you may have. You can submit your questions to stateaction2011@numbersusa.com or send your questions to us through our Facebook page or Twitter Feed. We'll also answer any questions you send in through Facebook or Twitter during the webcast.
    BUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    It's not even the bill as it stands that I have a problem with-although as I pointed out in my post at American Rattlesnake-I strongly object to the preemption provison. It's what will be done once this bill makes its way onto the President's desk, if it even makes it that far.

I have trouble believing it won't be completely enervated by the time its signed into law. What we'll have is a series of quasi-amnesties and a bunch of toothless enforcement provisons that the feds will never actually get around to enforcing. It'll be Simpson-Mazzoli redux.
    Thats a good point Shapka. I think I'll submit that question to NumbersUSA for the live webcast tomorrow that TS10 posted --

I'll ask: How can we be sure this bill doesn't get watered down before it gets to President's desk? Will we or someone be able to monitor it very closely every step of the way, BEFORE reps and senators vote on it? If it gets watered down too much, or all state enforcement is removed, or worst of all the pro-amnesty crowd is able to sneak something in there, will we be able to kill it in time? Also, many reps and senators might vote in favor of a watered down or worse bill, just so they can say they voted for enforcement, when in reality its not. This bill needs to be watched VERY carefully, every step of the way. Of course, the pro-enforcement citizen orgs don't get a lot of tax dollars to pay for lobbying and such like the pro-amnesty ethnocentrics at La- The Race- Raza do, but thats another issue.

Maybe others could submit similar questions.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast