Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is a person born in the United States required to speak English?
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>
    <div>--General George Patton, Jr.</div>

I know US born Citizens that can't speak a word of English.
    Unless they are deaf mutes, that is absolute baloney!

Sorry, it's not baloney and I deal with this every day at work.
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>

Is a person born in the United States required to speak English?
    A totally moot point as, unless they have some type of disability that prevents verbal communication, all people born in the U.S. DO learn english!

MW
    The point is, the fact that a person has limited or no English speaking ability, does not make then an illegal alien!
    I understand the point you are making marineinspector, but no English is certainly a solid indicator that the individual is not a U.S. Citizen.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by greyparrot
    unless they have some type of disability that prevents verbal communication, all people born in the U.S. DO learn english!
    You must lead a very sheltered life.

You should come spend some time down on the US/Mexico border.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I understand the point you are making marineinspector, but no English is certainly a solid indicator that the individual is not a U.S. Citizen.
    Not being a U.S. Citizen is not the same as being here illegally.

Before I started working immigration law enforcement, I would have though anyone not speaking English was here illegally also.

But, after almost 9 years of living in Arizona and doing this job, believe me, not speaking English is not an indication of anything.

As I’ve said, we’ve got US born citizens that don’t speak English and illegal aliens that speak better English then most posters on this site. And we’re not talking a few, but hundreds of thousands.

You must lead a very sheltered life.
    Sheltered? Hardly! Just reality based.

Quote Originally Posted by greyparrot
    reality based.
    LOL, come on down to Arizona and get a real dose of reality.

We've got US born folks all over this state that don't speak English and I'm not even counting the Native Americans that don't speak English.

You should come spend some time down on the US/Mexico border.
    If born in the U.S., most children attend public school. You must pass a graduation exam, containing English proficiency in order to graduate.
    If going through the legal system an immigrant is required to take proficiency exam for English. So if a citizen born here CAN NOT speak English, obviously this person did not attend school. If a person immigrated here and passed the exam for citizenship, then that person CHOOSES not to speak English. Maybe many on the border CHOOSE not to speak English, whether or not citizens. So I see what you are saying about they CHOOSE not to speak English so it can't be assumed that a person speaking another language is illegal. But anyone who came to this country to become a citizen and wishes to be patriotic probably CHOOSES to speak English in public. That could be why citizens are suspicious of those speaking another language on a daily basis. I think that may be Exactly why English should be the official language of this country. What a person chooses to speak in their household and on personal level is not my concern. However, when it comes to business and public communication, I feel English should be the one. We are spending a lot of money hiring translators for every company with an 800 number.....so why do people refuse to practice their English? When I visited Mexico, I practiced my Spanish. When I visited France, I practiced my Frendch. ETC...
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast