Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by GodHelpUs
    It wasn't an air hammer. It was a nail gun. Nail guns use .22 caliber blanks to "shoot" the nail into the wood. Nail guns can sound like small caliber weapons. MSM doesn't know anything about construction work so they probably don't know the proper terminology for power tools.

this reminds me of two commercials:

scaring the crap out of Congress -- priceless

and we should give the guy with the air-gun a Klondike bar
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

It wasn't an air hammer. It was a nail gun. Nail guns use .22 caliber blanks to "shoot" the nail into the wood. Nail guns can sound like small caliber weapons. MSM doesn't know anything about construction work so they probably don't know the proper terminology for power tools.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok thats different, ,but..... why would they allow anyone to use a tool that needs ammo to operate when you can use air tools??? Still smells to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianleather
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok thats different, ,but..... why would they allow anyone to use a tool that needs ammo to operate when you can use air tools??? Still smells to me.
    a nail gun is an 'air tool' -- it runs on an air compressor and the nails are the ammo
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

In California, I've been told by friends, a contractor must get a permit to buy an air gun. Additionally, a line throwing gun must be registered. This is what California gun laws have done. (A line throwing gun "shoots" a string across a canyon so that a larger rope can be pulled across. It's a tool used often by utility companies to put up a telephone or electric line in remote areas.)

Banned
    The brand name for a cartridge-fired nail-gun is a Hilti.

The shells are .22 caliber, and come in a variety of strengths. The weaker shells are for anchoring in concrete, while the more powerful ones will anchor into structural steel. OSHA requires anyone using a Hilti be certified in it's operation, unless of course you're an illegal alien.

being that it was a congressman that reported it to the Police
    gunshots were found to be a man using a nail gun to fix an elevator!
    Maybe I missed something in the news reports, this is the first I have heard about a congressman reporting gunshots. On my channel they said "shots fired in the parking garage". Do you know which senator?

I have worked as a commercial electrician for about 25 years and almost 2 years as a building engineer ( - among other things, but this is not a resume). And I have never heard of anyone using a nail gun in an elevator, nail guns are used for driving nails into wood. Wood is flammable; it can not be used in an elevator shaft.

There are 2 types of nail guns that I know of:

1) Pneumatic: Requires an air compressor (a loud one) these are used for nailing shear walls and roof sheeting.

2) Fuel cell: Runs on a solid fuel cell, basically the same purpose as above at a higher price because it is "hose-less"

There is a similar fastening tool known as a "powder actuated driver" (Hilti-gun, Ram-set) that uses brass cartridges filled with a charge of gunpowder (.22 cal & .45 cal. - no projectile) to drive a "pin" into concrete or steel. But these are never used in elevator shafts, a roto-hammer is the standard tool used.

Before working in an elevator shaft ("pit") it is standard procedure (for most office and government buildings) to do a minimum of one or more of these:

A) Obtain a work permit.
    B) Contact and coordinate with the buildings management.
    C) Contact building security; inform them about the scope of your work.
    - These are to avoid false fire alarms, complaints about out of service elevators, etc.

While working in the Pit, the elevator doors on every floor - except the first floor, are locked (for obvious reasons).

If any of the above types of guns where used in an elevator shaft in this situation, a person within about 100' of the pit could "possibly" hear the percussion. This would sound like the pop of a firecracker, not a gunshot.

But I have never heard of anyone using a “gun” of any type to repair an elevator.
    Democrat or Republican, they are all politicians.

Skid, we must always remember that those "reporting" the news don't knwo what the heck they're talking about. Unless we were there, we don't know what ACTUALLY happened.

Whatever actually happened, one thing seems evident: the fools who are supposed to represent us are afraid. Are they afraid of terrorists or us? Personally, I hope they're afraid of us. Only by being afraid of the average American citizen will they ever begin to again represent us. That is one reason why, IMHO, the founders of this great country included the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.

I was just pointing out - without accusations, that something here stinks.

- Sounds like it was an exercise to inspire a little fear into some congressmen, think about it.
    Democrat or Republican, they are all politicians.

What really put a smile on my face was the woman reporting an armed gunman in the gym. turned out to be a cop! Yes I was thinking along the lines of them being more afraid of pissed off american citizens then any terroist
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast