Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Question about Prop 187

Back in the 1990s when Californian's (overwhelmingly) passed Prop 187, it was ruled unconstitutional by a Federal Court Judge. Now, I was only 29 at the time, and not very politically involved (didn't even vote until I was in my early 20's), so I really wasn't that tuned into Prop 187.

My question now is, what was so unconstitutional about not allowing illegal aliens to have access to free (non-emergency) health care, welfare or schooling? I'd like to know where in the Constitution it states that Americans have to provide these things to people who are in the U.S. illegally.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

americangirl,

My question now is, what was so unconstitutional about not allowing illegal aliens to have access to free (non-emergency) health care, welfare or schooling? I'd like to know where in the Constitution it states that Americans have to provide these things to people who are in the U.S. illegally.
    I'd like our then governor Pete Wilson to answer that question for all of us who voted for prop. 187. And to this day I still don't understand how a Federal judge was able overturn the voters. If the prop. had been left alone we wouldn't be in the mess that we're now facing. Thanks Pete Wilson.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

bearpaw:

If the prop. had been left alone we wouldn't be in the mess that we're now facing. Thanks Pete Wilson.
    I agree. I don't think ONE judge should have the power to overturn a legal popular vote. It should go to the Supreme Court, at the very least (if at all).
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Here is a good summary of what happened. Although Gov Wilson supported it, along with we voters, it was challenged in court and then we got a new Gov Davis who opposed it. Man, was Gov Davis a nightmare!
    http://ccir.net/REFERENCE/187-History.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thanks, jean. That clears that up.

So why not try again?

americangirl
    So why not try again?
    Duh! I don't know the answer to that. Does anyone know a lawyer to ask?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

187 is law and is still on the books. Once a bill is passed into law it requires another bill to reverse it the reversal never happened. 187 is merely unenforced as a result of the decision f the judge. At some point when there is poltical will in either direction the situation will be clarified.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Richard,

187 is law and is still on the books. Once a bill is passed into law it requires another bill to reverse it the reversal never happened. 187 is merely unenforced as a result of the decision f the judge. At some point when there is poltical will in either direction the situation will be clarified.
    Then I think this would be a very very important avenue to explore!! Getting 187 back out there could prove to be a turning point in California!

JAK
    California would love it along with the rest of us
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, I think I did hear that it could be resurrected. Bet Gov Arnold has the power but he won't do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast