Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro
    Summarized History for Bill Number SB09-109
    (The date the bill passed to the committee of the whole reflects the date the bill passed out of committee.)

01/26/2009 Introduced In Senate - Assigned to Judiciary
    02/09/2009 Senate Committee on Judiciary Refer Unamended - Consent Calendar to Senate Committee of the Whole
    02/12/2009 Senate Second Reading Laid Over Daily
    02/13/2009 Senate Second Reading Passed
    02/16/2009 Senate Third Reading Laid Over Daily
    02/17/2009 Senate Third Reading Passed
    03/02/2009 Introduced In House - Assigned to Judiciary
    03/12/2009 House Committee on Judiciary Refer Unamended to House Committee of the Whole
    03/23/2009 House Second Reading Laid Over Daily
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

April
    Staffers are very busy!!! LET KEEP BLASTING THEM!!!!

April
    Another load of BS.........

[quote]Dear XXXX,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your concerns about SB 170 with me. I always appreciate hearing from Coloradans, even when they do not agree with my stance. Even though I may not be able to change your opinion about this bill, I wanted to take a second to explain the many benefits of this legislation, correct several misconceptions about this legislation as well as immigration laws, and hopefully convey to you why I will be supporting Sen. Romer’s bill.

Senate Bill 170 is good for our economy, strengthens our communities, keeps us competitive with other Western states, and provides an opportunity for more Coloradans to seek higher education. First, and contrary to some popular beliefs, SB 170 is not just a matter of generosity, but also an economic development strategy to bolster the state’s economy. The passage of SB 170 will not cost Colorado tax payers a cent! Also, studies have indicated that college graduates are less likely to get caught in a cycle of poverty and crime, and that they tend to be more productive and civically engaged; they vote more, and are more likely to contribute to the state tax base. The states with higher percentages of college graduates have higher productivity and attract more high-growth biomedical, technology, and new energy corporations.

Second, we are already funding undocumented students’ K-12 education (as federal law mandates), and we will be wasting this initial investment if we do not provide an opportunity for these students to pursue higher education and ultimately give back to the state. Undocumented students are currently ten times less likely to attend college and realizing this futility, often drop out during high school. Tuition equity is by no means a free pass to college. Instead, all SB 170 does is to permit this portion of Colorado’s population to pay in-state tuition. These students will still have to apply and be accepted, so only the qualified students will benefit from the bill’s passage.

Third, SB 170 provides an opportunity for Colorado to stay competitive with our nearby states. Ten other states currently have passed tuition equity legislation, and many of these are Western states: California, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and Washington. California and Texas have calculated that any costs associated with this legislation were minimal when compared with spending on social programs and the higher rates of crime that would result if nothing was done.

Fourth, when discussing SB 170, I have often heard the argument that it is “unfairâ€

Leaving messages. Does anyone have an updated status on any of these?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Leaving messages. Does anyone have an updated status on any of these?
    Thanks Populist for joining in, updates will be posted when available!

[quote="April"]Another load of BS.........

[quote]

Finally, I would like to clear up some of the misconceptions surrounding federal immigration laws. First, there is currently no easy solution or “path to citizenshipâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Finished!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

working4change

Response on sb 170

First response on S170

[quote][DearXX XXXX

Thank you very much for taking time to share your concerns about SB 170 with me. I always appreciate hearing from Coloradans, even when they do not agree with my stance. Even though I may not be able to change your opinion about this bill, I wanted to take a second to explain the many benefits of this legislation, correct several misconceptions about this legislation as well as immigration laws, and hopefully convey to you why I will be supporting Sen. Romer’s bill.

Senate Bill 170 is good for our economy, strengthens our communities, keeps us competitive with other Western states, and provides an opportunity for more Coloradans to seek higher education. First, and contrary to some popular beliefs, SB 170 is not just a matter of generosity, but also an economic development strategy to bolster the state’s economy. The passage of SB 170 will not cost Colorado tax payers a cent! Also, studies have indicated that college graduates are less likely to get caught in a cycle of poverty and crime, and that they tend to be more productive and civically engaged; they vote more, and are more likely to contribute to the state tax base. The states with higher percentages of college graduates have higher productivity and attract more high-growth biomedical, technology, and new energy corporations.

Second, we are already funding undocumented students’ K-12 education (as federal law mandates), and we will be wasting this initial investment if we do not provide an opportunity for these students to pursue higher education and ultimately give back to the state. Undocumented students are currently ten times less likely to attend college and realizing this futility, often drop out during high school. Tuition equity is by no means a free pass to college. Instead, all SB 170 does is to permit this portion of Colorado’s population to pay in-state tuition. These students will still have to apply and be accepted, so only the qualified students will benefit from the bill’s passage.

Third, SB 170 provides an opportunity for Colorado to stay competitive with our nearby states. Ten other states currently have passed tuition equity legislation, and many of these are Western states: California, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and Washington. California and Texas have calculated that any costs associated with this legislation were minimal when compared with spending on social programs and the higher rates of crime that would result if nothing was done.

Fourth, when discussing SB 170, I have often heard the argument that it is “unfairâ€

April
    ANOTHER DAY TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD PATRIOTS!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION!!!

working4change
    Quote Originally Posted by April
    ANOTHER DAY TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD PATRIOTS!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION!!!
    let's go!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast