Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ReformUSA wrote:

Many independents see some but very few "good" illegals who should be given a chance and if they hear "deport them all and their little dog too!" they are less likely to support that candidate.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I stand by my position that the majority of independents do not support any form of illegal alien amnesty.

Remember the his poll from last year?

Should path for citizenship be made easier for illegal immigrants?
    By: CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Washington (CNN) - Two-thirds of Americans don't want to make it easier for illegal immigrants to become citizens, even though a slight majority is sympathetic towards their plight, according to a new poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Sunday indicates that 66 percent of Americans say the U.S. should not make it easier for illegal immigrants to become citizens, with 33 percent disagreeing.

Forty-two percent of Democrats questioned say the path to citizenship for illegal immigrants should be made easier. That number drops to 33 percent for independents and 16 percent for Republican respondents.

"Virtually all major subgroups oppose making it easier for illegal immigrants to become citizens, at least in the abstract," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Specific legislation that puts limits on the ability to gain citizenship has sometimes met with favor in the past if it restricts the number who can apply and penalizes them for staying in the country illegally. But the overall principle remains unpopular."

According to the poll, 52 percent are sympathetic to illegal immigrants and their families, down five points from 2006, with 47 percent unsympathetic, up eight points from four years ago.
    "There are minor demographic differences on the sympathy question," says Holland. "For example, women appear slightly more sympathetic than men. But the biggest difference is the partisan breakdown. Two-thirds of Democrats say they sympathize with illegal immigrants, compared to roughly half of Independents and only one in four Republicans."

On Saturday, thousands of people attended rallies in several cities across the country to urge Congress to act quickly on immigration reform. Tens of thousands of people turned out last month for an immigration rally held at the National Mall in Washington. In a video message to that crowd, President Obama vowed he would do "everything in my power" to get a bipartisan deal to overhaul U.S. immigration laws.

Then-President George W. Bush supported a bipartisan effort to overhaul U.S. immigration laws four years ago, proposing to set up a path to legal status for the estimated 11 million people currently in the United States without authorization.

But those measures were criticized as establishing "amnesty" for illegal immigrants, and legislation Bush supported died with a Senate filibuster – one led by members of his own party but joined by more than a dozen Democrats.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted March 19-21, with 1,030 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... GoX6zcqRm2

Has that much really changed since a year ago? I'd like to draw your attention to this comment, "Two-thirds of Democrats say they sympathize with illegal immigrants, compared to roughly half of Independents and only one in four Republicans." I think one can safely assume that a person that has no sympathy for illegals would be against any sort of amnesty.

If a anti-amnesty hardliner would surface, he/she would probably win on that single issue (IMO). However, it's understood, that person must also win the public over on a host of issues, not just immigration. Tancredo is a good example of what I'm talking about. We all loved the man, however, his mistake was focusing too much on the issue of immigration. We need a candidate to surface that has proven through past history that he/she will not support an amnesty, but that candidate must also be strong in other areas. Moreover, to avoid being labeled, the candidate must not beat the immigration drum constantly. For me, someone like Sen. Jim DeMint comes to mind. I think he could grab a lot of independent, libertarian, and Constitution Party votes. Grant you, he won't get many liberal votes, but he would garner strong support from the conservatives.

This discussion has been fun, but I'm about burned out on it.

As I've said before, it's early yet. Perhaps someone will eventually step up to the plate that we can all agree upon.

This discussion has been fun, but I'm about burned out on it
    I hope not yet Mickey. We have a long way to go when the elections finally ramp up. Then it will reallly be getting old

Think of all the PROMISES we will get.............
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

unitasone wrote:

Think of all the PROMISES we will get.............
    We're already getting a lot of them and to my knowledge no one has even officially declared yet.

It's going to be a rough ride and interesting ride. Let's just hope someone comes along that we can all support.

NO, he is big business and big business is all about an endless flow of illegals!
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

I think that the people are tired of career politicians that lie to them for power.

We will see who emerges this Summer.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I still read wrestling forums and I still watch WWE/TNA some times and
    Jesse Ventura gave an interview that talks about politics, on a wrestling site, lol.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article ... ure-127783

With talk of Donald Trump, who has appeared with WWE, possibly running for president, Governor Ventura weighs in on he makes of it. Jesse considers “The Donaldâ€

“If Ron Paul would quit the Republican Party and run as an Independent

Cain: Public Now Sees Obama’s Weakness – He’s Beatable in 2012
    Saturday, 02 Apr 2011 07:06 PM

By Jim Meyers and Kathleen Walter

Read more on Newsmax.com: Cain: Public Now Sees Obama’s Weakness – He’s Beatable in 2012
    Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/HermanC ... ode=C02C-1

[quote]Conservative businessman Herman Cain, who is mulling a run for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012, tells Newsmax that President Barack Obama’s “leadership weaknessesâ€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678