Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage View Post
    googler, I agree that Indians come from India-our Native Americans should not continue to be called what was a geographical error by Christopher Columbus! However, oddly, some Natives call themselves "Indians"-I guess in some cases the name just stuck. But I think many if not most of them prefer the term "Native American." Those in Canada are called "First Nations" instead and those below Mexico are called "Amerindian."
    Very interesting. I must admit that I did not know this. So those in South America are also Amerindian? How do they say it in Spanish down there?

googler, I'm not sure what the Spanish word for "Amerindian" is, sorry.

googler, I'm not sure what the Spanish word for "Amerindian" is, sorry.
    I believe during the Spanish Empire era, Conquistadors referred to them as Indios.

Quote Originally Posted by diane85 View Post
    I believe during the Spanish Empire era, Conquistadors referred to them as Indios.
    Yeah, I think that's Spanish for the term "Indian" exactly, but I'm unsure what the translation of "Amerindian" is.

working4change
    Amerindian

Amerindian [a-me-rín-dian]
    adjetivo
    1 Amerindio.

Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary.

Amerindian [ˌæməˈrɪndɪən]
    amerindio
    amerindio a amerindia ;a amerindia
    Amerindian in Spanish | English to Spanish Translation | Traductor español ingles

Banned
    Okay so then those in Mexico are simply "indios" since those below Mexico are Amerindio? And Mestizo would mean European and Indio blood? I think I once heard that "Mestizo" is a race, but if it's a mixture of European and Indio how can it?

Quote Originally Posted by googler View Post
    Okay so then those in Mexico are simply "indios" since those below Mexico are Amerindio? And Mestizo would mean European and Indio blood? I think I once heard that "Mestizo" is a race, but if it's a mixture of European and Indio how can it?
    I know several people who consider mestizo a race and it really could never be considered a race, because the DNA admixtures of mestizos vary. There are some mestizos who have mostly European DNA, while some are about half and half, and there are some that are mostly Indio. There were also periods in which mestizos in different areas intermarried with non-mixed Europeans. One example of that was period in northern New Mexico in which French trappers married mestizo women and today in that region you will find some people with French last names who call themselves Hispanic. In Puerto Rico, there were periods in which Irish and Italian people immigrated to the island and some intermarried with mestizos or mulattos.
    Last edited by diane85; 01-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Hey, I know one word in English that has unnecessarily been "Latinized" in the U.S.-we need to change "dulce de leche" back to "caramel"!

And I forgot to say that Columbus was looking for the "West Indies" instead of India and that's why he called the indigenous peoples of the Americas "Indians". Apparently islands like Trinadad are considered "West Indies", but one truly confusing thing is that many people on Trinadad are truly Indian (their roots come from east India!). I have a friend from there with that heritage.

Hey, I know one word in English that has unnecessarily been "Latinized" in the U.S.-we need to change "dulce de leche" back to "caramel"!

Good Ice Cream

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast