Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Dixie,

My point is that it SHOULD NOT be introduced to a DoD bill at all. My son is leaving for Iraq soon and instead of caring about our troops they are more concerned about giving illegals benefits!
    Melissa,

What organization sent that e-mail?

There is a remedy in the Senate for amendments that are unrelated to a bill. Senators can challenge these amendments before voting on them.

I'm going to search for this amendment later and I have a feeling that it is not active.

There are lots of rumors about the Dream Acts.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I got it from FAIR today at 4pm

From the Daily Digest

National Defense Authorization Act--Agreement: A unanimous-consent agreement was reached providing that at 3 p.m., on Monday, September 17, 2007, Senate resume consideration of H.R. 1585, to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2008 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel.

There are currently 352 Amendments dog piled on this bill.

As of a Thomas Search tonight, SA 2237 has not been proposed for consideration on HR 1585 the National Defense Authorization Act.

The Durbin Dream Act Amendent is Senate Amendment SA 2237

Mr. DURBIN (for himself, Mr. Hagel, Mr. Lugar, Mr. Leahy, Mr. Obama, Mr. Lieberman, Mrs. Feinstein, Mr. Kerry, Mr. Feingold, Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Bayh, Mr. Menendez, Mrs. Murray, Mrs. Boxer, Ms. Cantwell, Mr. Salazar, and Mr. Dodd) submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill H.R. 1585, to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2008 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel strengths for such fiscal year, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

At the end, add the following:

TITLE XXXIII--DREAM ACT OF 2007
    SEC. 3301. SHORT TITLE.

This title may be cited as the ``Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2007'' or the ``DREAM Act of 2007''.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    I got it from FAIR today at 4pm
    Thanks Melissa!

I have not received a copy from them yet.

Dixie

MW
    Dixie wrote:

There is a remedy in the Senate for amendments that are unrelated to a bill.
    It is related to the bill, Dixie.

Excerpts:

The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act) of 2007(s. 774) is a law which grants citizenship to young people who were brought to the U.S. years ago as undocumented immigrant children but have stayed in school, and kept out of trouble. Once the student graduates from high school, he or she would be permitted to apply for conditional status, which would authorize up to 6 years of legal residence. This conditional status provides for the student to be treated as a resident alien, thus opening doors to financial aid as well. During that period, the student would be required to graduate from a 2-year college, complete at least 2 years towards a 4-year degree, or serve in the U.S. military for at least 2 years. On the surface that sounds good.
    [quote]Chief Sponsor of the bill, Democratic Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois says, "It turns out that many in the Department of Defense believe, as I do, that the DREAM Act is an important part of making certain we have talented young men and women ready to serve in our military."

Deputy Undersecretary for military personnel policy, Bill Carr, says the bill is a “very appealingâ€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here is my thought on this.

It doesn't hurt to call the Senate about the Dream Act. We will not know if the Durbin Amendment is going to be considered until the bill gets floor action. We can start listening to C-Span2 on Monday the 17th at 3:00pm EST but that does not mean anything will happen in favor of the Dream Act. We need to stay alert but don't panic.

Remember, Alipac is calling about the Trucks

Numbers is calling about H.Con.Res. 40 - that will block SPP/NAU plans.

Dixie

MW,

If it were an education bill, I would be more concerned.

There are more important amendments that need to be delt with right now, considering we are in a war.

They have been trying to pass that darn Dream Act for about 8 years now. I think they tried to stick it on the Defense Budget last year too.

You don't have to have a college education to serve in the millitary. Durbin is trying to sell ocean front property in Arizona.

The Dream Crap does not enhance HR 1585 in any way.

Dixie

Has anyone seen what Sessions had to say?

Yesterday, Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) held a press conference alerting the Capitol press corps to the growing possibility that the DREAM Act would be resurrected. Calling the bill "amnesty," he said, "We may be headed for another immigration battle."

MW
    Dixie wrote:

MW,

If it were an education bill, I would be more concerned.

There are more important amendments that need to be delt with right now, considering we are in a war.

They have been trying to pass that darn Dream Act for about 8 years now. I think they tried to stick it on the Defense Budget last year too.

You don't have to have a college education to serve in the millitary. Durbin is trying to sell ocean front property in Arizona.

The Dream Crap does not enhance HR 1585 in any way.

Dixie
    All I was attempting to do was point out the connection.

By the way, I don't believe the military option was in last years Dream Act attempt. The option was recently added by Durbin to broaden appeal for the program and make it a suitable amendment for the Defense Authorization Bill (his opinion). Personally, I think we should be concerned anytime one of those filthy amnesty snakes slither out from under their rock. Furthermore, the Iraq war isn't going to slow Durbin down on the Dream Act, nor will it stop Sen. Feinstein from dropping her AgJOBS at the first opportunity. We'll probably see it in the upcoming farm bill. We need to remain constantly vigilant. Some of those fork- tongued snakes on the Hill are extremely determined and will stop at nothing to shove their agenda right down our throats! One things for sure, folks like Durbin, Feinstein, Gutierrez, Flake, etc. won't be detoured by something as petty as swarming Locust, floods, collapsing bridges, hurricanes, war, or a deadly pandemic. Of course you already knew that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Nightmare Act had the military option last year too..

www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/dream_a ... 006-04.pdf

I think Durbin tried to attach this to some other defense bill last year if I am not mistaken.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast