Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

11-Year-Old Georgia Girl Ordered to Leave U.S. for Poland Over Paperwork Error

Wednesday, June 10, 2009
    By Katie Landan

The last thing 11-year-old Ewelina Bledniak of Cummings, Ga., had in mind for her summer vacation was a deportation fight.

But Hubert and Agnes Bledniak's daughter, who has been in the U.S. since she was 2 years old, faces getting thrown out of America if she doesn't "voluntarily leave" the country by July 23.

If she doesn't go "home" to Poland — a country she hasn't seen since she was a baby — on her own, she'll be sent back involuntarily and not allowed to return for 10 years.

Ewelina's family came to America in 1999, and her father has become an American citizen. Her mother, a permanent resident, also is seeking to become a citizen. But because of a lawyer's mistake eight years ago, according to the Bledniaks, Ewelina can't stay in the U.S. with her parents.

The Bledniaks say their lawyer failed to file the proper documentation for Ewelina back in 2001 — a mistake that stayed under the radar until the family applied for their daughter's green card. It came back denied, automatically putting Ewelina into deportation proceedings.

"She didn't do anything wrong," said Hubert Bledniak, who moved to Cumming, a small town about an hour north of Atlanta, in 1999 and owns a tile installation business. His wife, Agnes, works at a restaurant.

"I don't think she is supposed to be separated from her family," the girl's father said.

"I am a citizen of the United States. I am paying taxes, even to Immigration, and basically I'm paying for them to chase my daughter, instead of chasing people at gas stations who are looking for work and not paying taxes."

The Bledniaks plan to travel with Ewelina to Poland on July 20. Once there, they will have to wait for an interview with the U.S. Embassy. Embassy officials will evaluate Ewelina's documentation and make her undergo a medical examination. If the family's petition is granted, she will be permitted to return to the U.S., and to re-file for a green card.

Maria Odom, the Bledniaks' new lawyer, told FOXNews.com that the process could be grueling and time-consuming. "It could be up to a year — it depends on how quickly the cases are moving," she explained.

"She is losing a year of school," her father said. "She'll have to go to Polish school, but she doesn't understand Polish language. It's going to be hard for her."

The family also has to face the realities of leaving home for an indeterminate amount of time.

"I can't leave my business here, I have two houses I have my mortgage," Hubert told FOXNews.com. "People are trying to stay in their houses, and put food on the table, and I have to go to Poland for a long time."

Bledniak said the legal snafu has provoked fights between him and his wife, something he doesn't want his daughter to see. "We get emotional, and my daughter has to see that," he explained. "She doesn't understand why she needs to go to Poland."

Odom, the family's lawyer, says cases like the Bledniaks' are far too common, and she says the immigration system is severely broken.

"We aren't just listening to a political talking point," she said. "When we say it's broken, it's broken. This is just another example that emphasis of the current law is not on family unity."

Bill Wright, a press secretary for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, gave this statement about the Bledniaks' situation:

"We are sympathetic in cases such as these. While I can't go into specifics, I can say that we are looking into all details of this case and we look forward to working with the family to explore all possible remedies."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525750,00.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

First, I applaud this family that would go through all this hardship to strictly follow the tenants of our immigration laws. I don't blame them for trying to find an easier solution, but welcome them as citizens and legal residents to our great country.

Second, where are the anti-deportation gangs? Why aren't they speaking out? ACLU? Where are you? LaRaza? MALDEF? What happened to all that garbage about separating families?

Third, this girl was not hiding, she was in plain sight because they thought she was legal. Paying taxes, in school, maybe even traveling. And it took 8 years to discover her?

We have no clue who is here and who belongs here.

We heard so much about "family values not stopping when the ILLEGALS crossed our southern borders" from our last President but we could see their "family values" in action murder, rape, and theft among other of their values in our court system. This family is ready to follow what ever rules we have to become Worthy Citizens because of their FAMILY VALUES, the ILLEGALS praised by our Elitist Politicians believe we owe them everything and REFUSE to follow any of the rules.

MW
    JohnDoe wrote:

What? Are you incapable of doing anything for yourself?
    I refuse to get into a pissing contest with you, JohnDoe. For some reason, unknown to me, you've obviously decided to turn this personal.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot
    First, I applaud this family that would go through all this hardship to strictly follow the tenants of our immigration laws. I don't blame them for trying to find an easier solution, but welcome them as citizens and legal residents to our great country.

Second, where are the anti-deportation gangs? Why aren't they speaking out? ACLU? Where are you? LaRaza? MALDEF? What happened to all that garbage about separating families?

Third, this girl was not hiding, she was in plain sight because they thought she was legal. Paying taxes, in school, maybe even traveling. And it took 8 years to discover her?

We have no clue who is here and who belongs here.
    Very well stated.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    We heard so much about "family values not stopping when the ILLEGALS crossed our southern borders" from our last President but we could see their "family values" in action murder, rape, and theft among other of their values in our court system. This family is ready to follow what ever rules we have to become Worthy Citizens because of their FAMILY VALUES, the ILLEGALS praised by our Elitist Politicians believe we owe them everything and REFUSE to follow any of the rules.
    Also very well stated.
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot

i can tell you exactly where they are and what they are doing.
    they dont care about the person because its not someone hispanic.
    Laraza and Maldef. they day they worry about someone who is not hispanic is the day HELL FREEZES OVER

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345