Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-illegal immigration rally ends in arrest in Tenn.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5074855&nav=E8Z0

Rally against illegal immigration ends with arrest and chaos in Hamblen Co

June 24, 2006

By SONU WASU
    6 News Reporter

MORRISTOWN (WATE) -- A rally that was supposed to be peaceful ended with chaos Saturday afternoon outside the Hamblen County courthouse.

Things got testy for a while as police tried to stop a disabled veteran from carrying an American flag onto courthouse grounds.

Teddy Mitchell, 62, was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Police say the flag pole he carried was too sharp and they did not want him to take it onto courthouse grounds.

Organizers of the group Citizens for Legal Immigration say they had received permission to peacefully take a stand against illegal immigrants. They say they were surprised to see the overwhelming police presence when they arrived.

A Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesperson, Lt. Glenn Cantwell, told 6 News troopers were prepared for the worst.

"You never know who may show up to these things," he said.

Authorities had received word that the Tennessee Minutemen and Ku Klux Klan members might show up to protest. Morristown Police Chief Roger Overholt asked THP to assist.

Lt. Cantwell says there were about 80 armed officers at the scene. They included officers from Morristown, a police SWAT team, Hamblen County deputies, THP officers, and a police helicopter.

Officers barricaded public parking lots around the courthouse.

Rally organizers say the show of force was intimidating. They tried to go on with their scheduled speeches, but said their public address system was not working because they had no electricity.

Organizer Audrey Lowe told 6 News the city and county violated the group's First Amendment rights. "One hundred percent violated," she said. "Our freedom of speech was violated. Our freedom of peaceful assembly was violated. Our freedom to fly our flag, the U.S. flag, on the public courthouse lawn was violated today-- big time."

Rally organizers moved to the VFW building on Highway 11E to continue their protest. They say they did not feel welcome outside the courthouse.

At least one rally organizer now plans to file a federal lawsuit against the city and county.

Hamblen County commissioner Tom Lowe says the action police took was a violation of the group's First Amendment rights.

"I am 95 percent sure that I and other members of the group, we'll all file a federal lawsuit against the city and the county and anybody else involved in shutting us down," Lowe said.

Mitchell, the disabled veteran who was arrested, posted a $3,000 bond and has been released from jail.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Legal Americans, are losing more of their rights every day. How is it that illegal immigrants thousands of them can get out in our streets and protest peacefully, waving the mexican flag, and demanding their rights, when an American Vet, cannot even take an American flag on to the grounds of a courthouse, prevented from doing this by "American policemen"? This is astounding, sickening, and downright scary, that this could happen in our country! I hope this lawsuit goes forward all the way to the supreme court, for whatever that may be worth! I think I can safely say that if Americans, tried to hold a rally of the magnitude of the pro illegal rally, we would be met with policemen in riot gear or even national guardsmen.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Re: Anti-illegal immigration rally ends in arrest in KY

Quote Originally Posted by concernedmother
    http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5074855&nav=E8Z0

Rally against illegal immigration ends with arrest and chaos in Hamblen Co

Authorities had received word that the Tennessee Minutemen and Ku Klux Klan members might show up to protest. Morristown Police Chief Roger Overholt asked THP to assist.

Nothing more than 'Good-ol-boy' politics. The police chief was afraid that the Tennessee Minutemen or the KKK might show up? Yeah right! Blow away the smoke and there are probably several local politicians with financial interests in local agriculture. Employing illegal aliens no doubt.
    Arresting a disabled American vet for carrying an American flag onto courthouse grounds? Totally absurd! Just another example of how Americans are beind disregarded in favor of Mexican labor ie: greedy politicians and business people.
    Nothing more than a bunch of dumbass hillbilly cops following the orders of special interests.
    Anyone know how to find the address of this police chief? I have a couple of thoughts that I would like to forward to this coward.
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=5076512&nav=0RYv

Morristown Police investigating use of too much force during arrest at immigration rally

June 25, 2006

By SONU WASU
    6 News Reporter

HAMBLEN COUNTY (WATE) -- A man arrested during Saturday's immigration rally in Hamblen County is speaking out against the Morristown Police Department.

61 Year old Teddy Mitchell says police used "excessive force" when they tasered and handcuffed him.

Mitchell was arrested as he tried to walk into the rally carrying an American flag. A Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman tells 6 News the tip of the flagpole was too sharp.

Mitchell says, that's silly. "It's a plastic flag with a plastic eagle on top. There's nothing dangerous about this. My little grandson can bend it."

Mitchell says he was jumped by 4 officers, tasered, and handcuffed, before being led off to jail. He says the deputies inside the jail treated him with respect, but he was booked and had to stay in custody for 4 hours, before posting a $3,000 bond. "To this day no police officer has told me I'm under arrest. No police officer's told me anything."

Morristown Police spokeswoman, Bonnie Langdon, tells 6 News the incident will be reviewed by a higher chain of command. "We have reason to believe a taser may have been used," says Langdon. "Anytime an officer uses force, the incident is reviewed by higher-ups in the department. They will question all the officers involved in this case."

Mitchell is scheduled to appear in court Monday morning at 8:30. He tells 6 News he plans to pursue legal action against the police department.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I have already sent this package to:
    Mr. Frist,
    Mr. Allard
    Mr. Hefly
    Mr.Salazar
    Team America PAC
    Department of Justice
    and I have called Mr Hastert's office.

Why is that over 1 million illegal foreign nationals can demonstrate in our streets, carry racist hate signs and advocate the reconquista of our country and this is allowed to happen. Isn't this the way it is done in Mexico?

Teddy Mitchell, shown here in a frame of video captured by a rally organizer, was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

June 24, 2006

By SONU WASU
    6 News Reporter

MORRISTOWN (WATE) -- A rally that was supposed to be peaceful ended with chaos Saturday afternoon outside the Hamblen County courthouse.

Things got testy for a while as police tried to stop a disabled veteran from carrying an American flag onto courthouse grounds.

Teddy Mitchell, 62, was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Police say the flag pole he carried was too sharp and they did not want him to take it onto courthouse grounds.

Organizers of the group Citizens for Legal Immigration say they had received permission to peacefully take a stand against illegal immigrants. They say they were surprised to see the overwhelming police presence when they arrived.

A Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesperson, Lt. Glenn Cantwell, told 6 News troopers were prepared for the worst.

"You never know who may show up to these things," he said.

Lt. Cantwell says there were about 80 armed officers at the scene. They included officers from Morristown, a police SWAT team, Hamblen County deputies, THP officers, and a police helicopter.

Officers barricaded public parking lots around the courthouse.

Rally organizers say the show of force was intimidating. They tried to go on with their scheduled speeches, but said their public address system was not working because they had no electricity.

Organizer Audrey Lowe told 6 News the city and county violated the group's First Amendment rights. "One hundred percent violated," she said. "Our freedom of speech was violated. Our freedom of peaceful assembly was violated. Our freedom to fly our flag, the U.S. flag, on the public courthouse lawn was violated today-- big time."

Rally organizers moved to the VFW building on Highway 11E to continue their protest. They say they did not feel welcome outside the courthouse.

At least one rally organizer now plans to file a federal lawsuit against the city and county.

Hamblen County commissioner Tom Lowe says the action police took was a violation of the group's First Amendment rights.

"I am 95 percent sure that I and other members of the group, we'll all file a federal lawsuit against the city and the county and anybody else involved in shutting us down," Lowe said.

Mitchell, the man who was arrested, posted a $3,000 bond and has been released from jail.

Demonstrator says police used excessive force to arrest him
    Demonstrator says police used excessive force to arrest him

"This is the same type flag, plastic with a plastic Eagle on top and there's nothing dangerous about this," Teddy Mitchell says. "My little grandson can bend this."

June 25, 2006

By SONU WASU
    6 News Reporter

MORRISTOWN (WATE) -- The disabled veteran arrested during the weekend immigration rally in Hamblen County says police used excessive force on him.

Sixty-one-year-old Teddy Mitchell was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest for trying to carry a flag onto courthouse grounds.

Mitchell claims officers used excessive force when they handcuffed and tasered him. He says he fell against these bushes when officers arrested him after a brief struggle.

As amateur video of Mitchell's arrest plays, he says, "I said, 'You telling me I can't take the American flag in there?' He says, 'I'm telling you that.' I said, 'Can I take a Mexican flag in there?' About that time, they jumped me."

The arrest was caught on tape by a rally organizer, turning what was supposed to be a peaceful rally against illegal immigration into a fight for their own First Amendment rights.

Mitchell says he came to show support but wound up in jail instead. "To this day, no police officer has told me I was under arrest. No police officer has told me anything."

A Highway Patrol spokesperson tells 6 News officers could not allow Mitchell to carry the flagpole into the rally because it was too sharp.

"I say that's silly," Mitchell says. "This is the same type flag, plastic with a plastic Eagle on top and there's nothing dangerous about this. My little grandson can bend this."

In pictures of Mitchell's back, he says the faint red marks you can see were caused when an officer tasered him. "I've got holes in my back. It all happened so fast. I couldn't handle them four men, four young men."

6 News spoke to a Morristown Police Department spokeswoman. She says they have reason to believe a taser was used during the incident.

Any time an officer uses force, a higher chain of command at the police department reviews the incident. The department plans to interview all the officers involved.

Mitchell is expected in court Monday. He tells 6 News he plans to pursue legal action against the Morristown Police Department.

http://www.wate.com/global/video/popup/ ... nd=8209850

http://www.wate.com/global/video/popup/ ... nd=8209850
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I really hope there are charges brought. I want to know exactly what rights I don't have anymore. Was anyone EVER taken down and tazered for a damn Mexican flag? This is just beyond belief. This is why people are afraid to take a stand. If you aren't afraid of the illegals then you're afraid of something like this. Coz you can be sure something like this will show up on your background check while a child molester on his 5th identity will slide and even get amnesty. I mean come-on......4 young police officers on 1 elderly guy? What if he had a pacemaker? Wouldn't a tazer short it out?

In one sense I'm glad they were there and allowed to do something if necessary, after watching the illegal violence. But this is totally insane to the other end. Where's the ACLU on this? What about elder rights? :P I have one of those kind of flags and trust me....a wooden BBQ skewer is stronger. Hey it's made in china and ment to break with minimul pressure. One of my eagle wings already broke and that was from leaning it against the wall. I do have a "real" flag though. It's in a case on the wall. A future artifact at this rate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=35556

One protester arrested at Morristown rally against illegal immigrants

A group protesting illegal immigration says its message was drowned out when a microphone didn't work and a Highway Patrol helicopter hovered at a demonstration in Morristown.

One man was arrested during the protest that organizers say was disrupted by a large number of police officers.

Sixty-one-year-old Ted Mitchell was arrested Saturday when he tried to bring an American flag on a pole to the protest on the Hamblen County Courthouse lawn. Flags were allowed, but poles were considered potential weapons.

The Concerned Citizens of Hamblen County moved their protest a few blocks away to the VFW hall, but a group official says the momentum was lost. Only about 50 protesters moved to the new location.

One of the scheduled speakers was Hamblen County Commissioner Tom Lowe, who says he plans to file a lawsuit that alleges the group's right to peaceful assembly was violated.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The flag pole was too sharp? Hahahahaha!!
    What a load of crap.

This reminds me of the time last year I realized I had been allowed on an airplane even though I unknowingly possessed a pocket knife in my carry on. Meanwhile, a female friend of mine was pulled aside and had her cuticle scissors confiscated from the same airport on the same day.

This extra safety crap doesn't help anyone. It doesn't make people safer. All it does is place a heavy burden on innocent people who are simply trying to go about their own business.

Wep561's
    Nothing more than 'Good-ol-boy' politics. The police chief was afraid that the Tennessee Minutemen or the KKK might show up? Yeah right! Blow away the smoke and there are probably several local politicians with financial interests in local agriculture. Employing illegal aliens no doubt.
    That SURE makes sense, Wep.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I changed my post. Let's just get some answers from somebody. Somebody REALLY has some explaining to do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast