Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill Mandates Youngsters Learn Spanish

Bill Mandates Youngsters Learn Spanish
    By KEVIN BEGOS kbegos@tampatrib.com
    Published: Nov 1, 2005

TALLAHASSEE - -- All Florida students in kindergarten through second grade would get mandatory Spanish lessons starting in 2007 under a new bill filed by state Sen. Les Miller, D-Tampa.

"More and more of our young people need to learn a second language," said Miller, the Senate minority leader. "We just thought that this was a good start for these young people."

Some people like the idea but wonder about its practicality.

Younger students "learn a foreign language without pain," said Dorothy Carregal, superintendent of foreign languages for Hillsborough schools.

But the legislation, Senate Bill 522, doesn't say how schools would pay for the classes, other than to allow using state and private funds and grants.

If Miller's legislation becomes a mandate for schools, Carregal said it would create funding and personnel problems.

"And even if they give us the money, finding the teachers would be very difficult," she said.

In 1999, the Hillsborough County School Board found that 82 percent of parents were interested in elementary students learning conversational Spanish in class. But the board also found that twice-weekly classes for students in kindergarten through fifth grade could cost as much as $4.3 million in the first year.

A lack of funding helped kill the idea of offering the instruction systemwide, but Carregal said Hillsborough has five full-time certified Spanish teachers teaching kindergarten through fifth grade, at four schools.

Miller said he has not talked to other politicians or educators, but "if we have to negotiate some things, we will."

He is seeking the 11th U.S. congressional seat vacated by Rep. Jim Davis, a Tampa Democrat who is running for governor.

Maria Coady, an assistant professor in the College of Education at the University of Florida, said even though the state has a great resource of Spanish-speaking people, not enough have been encouraged to go into teaching.

The Florida Department of Education hasn't seen the bill or reviewed funding issues, a representative said.

http://tampatrib.com/FloridaMetro/MGBDMY3OHFE.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't think so!

If I or my family wants to learn another language it will because WE WANT to NOT because we are FORCED to! Bring it on! It will be a cold day in hell when the schools try and FORCE my kids to learn spanish!
    Seems the no child left behind was another of Bush's grand plans for the illegals!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

This is an outrage!

Floridians better lobby the hell out of thier reps to get this one slapped down!

I am STEAMED. You fight that in Florida, Legal, and you tell them to talk to us if they want an EARFUL! You are absolutely on target when you say that your children will learn a foreign language if they CHOOSE to do so--NOT if they are FORCED.

I am still fighting the battle to make English our official language and I will fight every day of my life to put a stop to this outrage of Spanish being CRAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS at EVERY TURN. I'm ready to start responding to all of these questions about whether we want whatever we're looking for in English or Spanish that I want mine in RUSSIAN or FRENCH or CZECH. Let's see how fast they jump to provide for that request!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    I am STEAMED. You fight that in Florida, Legal, and you tell them to talk to us if they want an EARFUL! You are absolutely on target when you say that your children will learn a foreign language if they CHOOSE to do so--NOT if they are FORCED.

I am still fighting the battle to make English our official language and I will fight every day of my life to put a stop to this outrage of Spanish being CRAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS at EVERY TURN. I'm ready to start responding to all of these questions about whether we want whatever we're looking for in English or Spanish that I want mine in RUSSIAN or FRENCH or CZECH. Let's see how fast they jump to provide for that request!
    I am also fighting, and there is a bill on it's way to make English Ohio's Language. If it isn't in soon, me and several State Reps are going to get it on a ballot for the Ohio residents to vote on. Plus several more goodies that is coming down the pike.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Everyone should be steamed and good. You know Florida is a special place for the Spanish right now. Oh yeeah, Governor Jeb is leading a company that is promoting the FTAA. It's called FTAA Inc. The Offices of the FTAA Inc., the private sector organization behind the FREE TRADE TREASON AGREEMENT OF THE AMERICAS are in Coral Gables, Florida and the new Secretariat Offices of the FTTTA is going to be headquartered in Florida as well. Their own little heispheric version of othe UN--how exciting.

Isn't that sweet? Brother helping Brother end the United States of America!

So, I can see that to "get ready" they need to convert Florida to a Spanish-Speaking State of the New Hemisphere of the New World Order.

This way when you can get a job cleaning the Secretariat's houses, you will already be Language Proficient when you ask:

"Senora, do you prefer the pink or blue sheets this week?"

Grrrrrrrrr!!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Would this be an example of NEPOTISM??? They are all in it together--thick as THIEVES.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Why Yes Indeedy!!

In fact, Jeb may have a big job lined up with them????

God, maybe they BOTH DO...Jeb and the Wackident.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LIKE PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT??? SURELY, you JEST!

Well actually I think they call it:

Secretary

So if there are two people wanting positions it must be

1. Secretary

2. Deputy Secretary

It will be so convenient. They can ride in to work together.

Wackident can buy a Bamboo Ranch in Florida. Then he would have an endless supply of growth to chain-saw.

But, oh silly me, I'm sure the Secretariat will provide Free Floridian Haciendas for all its Big Monkeys.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast