Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FROM THE WINDOR STAR. THIS IS HOW CANADIANS FEEL ABOUT MEXICANS COMING ACROSS THEIR BORDER.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/ ... d2033d6290

Sound Off! Should we help them?
    The Windsor Star
    Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2007
    An estimated 180 Mexicans from Florida have rushed across the border and into Windsor to claim refugee status, fleeing a crackdown on illegal aliens in Florida.
    Local agencies that work with refugees have been told to brace for 4,000 to 8,000 refugee claimants.
    When they arrive at the border, a guard gives them a list of local social services organizations they can contact for support.

In the short term, the refugee claimants are the guests of city taxpayers.
    Should we help them? Post your comments by clicking on the Submit a Soundoff link below.

© The Windsor Star 2007
    Sound Off!
    Submit a soundoff

does our social service system not already have enough strai...CHRIS
    I say let them in so long as they repay every cent of social...Drew
    Why should we keep them,we dont even help our own people.We ...Kim
    Okay why should we keep them here? Common people, open your ...shirley
    I'm the son of refugees who escaped Communist persecution af...Kay R
    These Mexicans are not being persecuted in their own country...steve
    I say send them back to Mexico! As a Canadian who lives in ...Bill
    Between the government and immigrants from the middle east (...colleen
    Of course we should help them. Everyone should help anyone i...Azra
    I am sick of people coming to this country and living better...Kathy
    No, I already pay enough in taxes! Overload the system, mon...Sara
    Well if I read the article correctly, then we have no choice...Paul
    With Windsor's economy heading down the chute and with all t...Joe
    Definitely not. I have two adult children ages 28 and 30 bot...David
    Yes, we definitely should help them even if there was no leg...chris
    NO I DO NOT THINK WE SHOULD HELP THEM. THEY MADE THE CHOICE ...Gina
    I do not think allowing these people to claim refugee status...Heather
    This is crap, I've paid over $10,000.00 to work legally in t...sean
    No, refuse them at the border, we don't have enough jobs her...Michelle
    Hello....does the word ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS mean anything? Why...Reg
    I do not think that we should help anyone that broke immigra...Richard
    There are people in this city born and bred that need our he...Mary Anne
    No. I would rather my tax dollars be used for good cause. ...Katie
    This is one of the problems with the Safe Third Country Agre...Kevin
    The question posed is should we help them and the answer is ...Chris
    Ok, everyone. An article like this has a slight slant in co...Johnson
    Interesting that we don't see any of these unemployed local ...Tracy Sauer
    After living in Windsor/Essex all my life and working hard t...Bob
    No - first of all they are illegal immigrants, they should h...pat
    I came to this country legally. It cost me lots of effort an...Edit
    Yes..yes.. we should help them ! they are good, hard working...Elaine
    Of course we should help them. They are fleeing persecution...Kim
    WHY DON'T YOU HELP OUR OWN PEOPLE IN THE CITY THAT NEEDS HEL...FRANK
    Enough freeloaders in this country already. We have become a...Rita
    We should help, if you found yourself in a similar situation...Victoria
    Let them in the country and the next thing you know, they wi...Victor
    NO! They are taking jobs away from people who need it. Now...Serena
    Should we help them? My answer is NO....why are we footing t...MJ
    That story made me feel ill. I say NO, close the border an...Bev
    Canada gives as much money to a single man that it gives me;...walter
    Yes! We should help them. Our country is based on immigrat...Erwin
    LOL - They know exactly where to go for free handouts.Mal
    We have enough problems with other immigrants in this count...Peter
    Sure we should help the Mexicans, we're North Americans, the...NORM
    No, enough is enough. If we have extra tax dollars to spend ...Arch
    Absolutely not, are we not burdened enough with taxes? Who ...Janice
    Accepting the first Mexicans seeking asylum will unfortunate...Louis
    No, not one. We can,t take care of our own, not to mention, ...Yvonne
    I think the question should be, what are they going to contr...Marie
    No, sorry, they should be returned to their country of birth...Mike
    NO we should NOT help them!! They were living in the U.S. i...Evelyn
    This really upsets me because no matter what we all say they...Kim.N
    Yes, we should accept them as refugee claimants now, because...Lois
    Absolutely NOT!!!! There are not enough jobs for our own Can...Debra
    I don't mean to sound cruel but when exactly is Canada gonna...Mary
    No . Sorry but I think we have enough trouble supporting our...Brenda
    I remember a certain Canadian politician who had his hands o...Jenny
    they are all the children of god as we are did people compl...gerald
    NO!!! The way I've got it figured--all of us that have worke...Frank
    My taxes are high enough and Windsor already has a job short...Jul
    Tell them that they have to enlist and fight for our country...Jul
    No they should not be allowed in. The guards at the border a...sherree
    NO WAY. OUR WE INSANE. OUR TAXES ARE HIGH ENOUGH WITHOUT U...lori
    Social Services is for Canadians who require assistant when...Sylvia
    No, we should not assist them. They were illegal in the USA...Gary
    No Way-Our Health Care-Welfare-and Taxes are in big trouble ...Cindy
    We should absolutely NOT allow these illegal immigrants to c...Joan
    NO, NO, NO If Windsor keeps helping the immagrants we'll hav...anna
    illegal means illegal, political corectness asside, do we ...mark
    I don't think the Mexicans should be allowed in this country...PUN
    Reading ppl's comments I can
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

RedPony-those comments from Canadians sure sound familiar...

As many of you all who posted comments saying why don't they go home and fight for their country and make it better-I agree,they should- but we are talking about people who don't have a backbone.They never will, they lack the intelligence and courage to do anything more than whine and breed.
    Forgive me if I sound cruel,I don't mean to,I'm just sick and tired of playing the dog to their fleas.

Good luck Canada! You're gonna need it.-How long before we hear-"We are doing the work Canadians just won't do."or the ever popular-"Your country would collapse without us."

Rawhide!

Forgive me if I sound cruel

WHAT IS CRUEL? IT IS THE TRUTH. OUCH!!!!

AND YOU ARE RIGHT. SOON MEXICANS WILL BE DOING THE JOBS CANADIANS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO DO. GOD HELP EM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

haha poor Canada. I can't wait to see a big illegal alien rights march there. There goes Canada's low crime rate. They will be in Quebec demanding signs in english/french/spanish. Maybe then others would see this problem for what it is.

AND I HEAR CANADA IS VERY CLEAN IN TERMS OF THE STREETS AND WHAT HAVE YOU. NOT FOR LONG. WAIT TILL CARS ARE PARKED ALL OVER THE LAWNS AND GARBAGE IN THE STREETS.

Banned
    I dont see canada putting up with this to long at all...

Potential crisis in Canada, Mayor: no $$$ to help

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/ ... 18&k=57287

Refugees pose 'potential crisis'
    Mayor Francis asks the feds for help to deal with influx of Mexicans
    Doug Schmidt and Dave Battagello, The Windsor Star
    Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2007

With city shelters filled and a surge of further refugee claimants expected to flood into Windsor, Mayor Eddie Francis is pleading for financial help from Ottawa.

"When there is a possibility of adding thousands to the local social assistance system as a result of refugee claimants crossing the border into Windsor, we will become overwhelmed and our current resources will not suffice," Francis wrote in a letter sent Wednesday to Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Over the past three weeks, 45 families and 31 individuals -- approximately 200 people -- entered Canada at the Detroit River crossings and applied in Windsor for shelter and social assistance after filing refugee claims with the Canada Border Services Agency. Municipal agencies dealing with the sudden influx of mainly Mexican refugee applicants are renting out hotel rooms and bracing for predicted thousands more to come.

Concepcion Montiel and her daughter Perla, 2, arrived in Windsor Monday by bus with two other families. Montie said a lack of jobs in Florida, the fear of deportation and the perceived opportunities promised in Canada persuaded her to move her family north.
    Scott Webster, The Windsor Star

"We don't have the means, ability or capacity to deal with this additional cost. We are not able to deal with this potential crisis locally," Francis wrote Harper.

"I don't believe that Windsor's residents and taxpayers should have to foot the bill for U.S. immigration policy," Francis told The Star. He was referring to the suspected source of the problem -- a recently begun crackdown on illegal immigrants in economically struggling regions of the U.S. South.

With the bulk of the latest arrivals being long-time Mexican illegals dislodged from their homes and workplaces in southwestern Florida, fingers are being pointed at unscrupulous outfits charging money and then directing desperate individuals and their families toward the Windsor border crossing.

"We are aware of these operations -- they have been advertising incorrect and false information," said Marina Wilson, a spokeswoman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Wilson said Canadian immigration authorities have started contacting the Mexican and Haitian communities in Florida, as well as local media there, to get the word out that nothing has changed in Canadian refugee policy.

"The fact someone wants to come here for better economic opportunity or a better quality of life ... that's no basis for a successful refugee claim," said Immigration Refugee Board (IRB) spokesman Charles Hawkins.

But a group operating out of Naples, Fla., vowed to continue sending the so-called economic refugees to Windsor.

"They ask, 'Is Canada an option?' and I say, 'Yes, it is an option,'" Jacques Sinjuste of the Jerusalem Haitian Community Center said in a phone interview Wednesday. For a US$300 "donation" (most of those interviewed in Windsor claim they paid US$400), JHCC staff download forms off the Internet, help applicants fill them out and give directions on how to get to the Canadian border.

Sinjuste said he's simply providing a "referral" service.

"Most of the time when the people come, they say they've heard something (about Canada). I say that I've heard the same thing," he said.

Jacquie Rumiel, director of programs for new Canadians at the YMCA, where refugee claimants are referred by Windsor's border guards, said the new people she's seeing are "mostly" Mexicans coming from Florida.

To be successful, refugee claimants must prove they are fleeing persecution at home, something most of the Mexicans arriving in Windsor would be hard-pressed to do. The IRB's Hawkins said there was only a 13 per cent acceptance rate of refugee claims filed by Mexican nationals during the first six months of the year, compared to an overall rate of 47 per cent.

But the average processing time for a refugee claim in Canada is currently 14.2 months, said Hawkins, a period during which the applicant is eligible for financial and other support. A failed claimant then also has the right to seek leave to appeal his or her rejection to federal court.

Despite the high number of failed applications cited by the IRB, Sinjuste said he gets calls to his Naples centre from "a lot of people" who've arrived in Windsor.

"They say everything is okay -- they are doing good, going to schools, going to work," he said.

Sinjuste said he was visited last week by an official from the Canadian consulate general in Miami but couldn't remember if he was told to stop helping economic refugees go to Canada.

"I don't think they tell me that," he said. Federal bureaucrats confirmed the meeting but said they couldn't divulge details.

Others are warning about the types of activities Sinjuste is engaged in.

"The way he's misleading the most vulnerable is infuriating," said Pegg Roberts, executive director of Detroit's Freedom House, which runs a shelter and assists asylum-seekers with their refugee claims. Sinjuste said he uses the Freedom House website to download refugee claim forms and advises the people he assists to seek help there.

"I do not help economic refugees," said Roberts, adding her non-profit organization assists the fleeing victims of torture and war crimes and has no affiliation with the JHCC.

"This is a problem the U.S. has allowed to create. It's really unfair for Canada to have to face this," said MP Joe Comartin (NDP -- Windsor-Tecumseh), his Party's public safety and national security critic.

"This is very much being driven by (the U.S. Department of) Homeland Security," he said, predicting that, "with few exceptions," most of these "economic claimants" will eventually be sent back.

dschmidt@thestar.canwest.com or 519-255-5586
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

I guess the super highway exists for Mexican illegals. As for Canada being ruined, I hate to say it but parts of the province of Ontario were years ago. If you fly into Toronto once you get off the plane and in the airport you think you are in another country. Most workers there are turban wearing Indians who only speak English to tourists and their language among themselves at work. I went in 2004 to bury a relative and stayed with a cousin. When I went grocery shopping I was the minority as the majority were Asians with a hand full of blacks. Many different languages were spoken but only the blacks spoke English. The neighborhood which was once predominantly Italian and clean now looked third worldish. There were numerous families in one house and cars parked all over.

This is going to cause problems between the U.S. and Canada. These damn illegally are like a festering wound.

Well, at least Harper will get an earfull from his constituents and maybe he'll back out of the SSP. Because I can't see Canada putting up with this crap.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Another cost the Canadians will have is clothing all these people, winter is on it's way and I'm sure they have no cold weather clothing.
    They're looking at anywhere from three to five hundered dollars per person just for boots, pants and a jacket.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast