Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

nationwide boycott of work March 1-7 under way

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 50346/1075

Immokalee: A March For Understanding
    Immigrants gather to bring attention to plight
    Efforts for nationwide boycott of work March 1-7 under way

By Jason Wermers
    jwermers@news-press.com
    Originally posted on January 15, 2007

IMMOKALEE — About 100 Hispanic immigrants and their supporters gathered at the Bull Riders Ballroom, hoping to get the American public to understand the plight of undocumented immigrants.

The rally started shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday with a half-mile march from the ballroom, across Collier County Road 846 from Immokalee Regional Airport, to that road's intersection with State Road 29 and back.

Many of the 45 marchers carried white crosses bearing the names of Mexicans and Central Americans who died trying to get to the United States. In all, 4,026 of these would-be immigrants have perished trying to get to the United States in the past two years, said Gloria Hernandez, general director of Inmigrantes Latinos Unidos de la Florida (United Latin Immigrants of Florida).

Hernandez helped organize last April's protest march, which drew at least 75,000 to Fort Myers, in support of the legalization of immigrants who already are living in this country.

"We are asking the USA to look at the people who are dying," said Ignacio Zapata, 46, an American citizen living in Bonita Springs who is originally from Mexico.

"Everybody knows we're trying to get everyone legalized. I think we're all here trying to make things better for ourselves. What's wrong with that?" asked Zapata, president of Inmigrantes Latinos Unidos de la Florida.

He added that a nationwide effort is under way to encourage legal and illegal immigrants to stay home from work March 1 to 7, unless Congress passes immigration reform legislation before then that would include a guest-worker program or amnesty for many of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the United States.

If by the end of that week there has been no progress, Zapata said, the boycott could be extended to 16 days.

"If somebody is doing something wrong, then put them away," he said. "All immigrants, even white Americans, are going to be in our March protest."

But illegal immigrants won't get sympathy from Americans because they're violating U.S. laws, said Tony Maida, co-founder of the Cape Coral-based anti-illegal immigration group Americans Standing Tall.

"No one likes to have people die for any reason whatsoever," he said.

But, he added, "If we violated their country's laws and went there without the proper paperwork, I'm sure they wouldn't like it, and we'd be in jail overnight."

Maida added that illegal immigrants who demand their rights is preposterous.

"They have no rights," he said. "Their rallies demanding rights will turn more of the American people against them."

It is views like this that scare Carlene Thissen, 56, of Naples. She is a white American citizen who sympathizes with the plight of undocumented workers. She performed a song she wrote, "Take These Hands," during the Sunday rally.

"The key thing I notice is that they are really angry," she said of the anti-immigrant side of the debate. "The people who support undocumented immigrants are not angry. There are a lot of us who support them. I don't know why they're not here."

Maida said he is not angry or racist.

"I think the hatred comes from these people to us," he said. "We are not hateful people. We want our laws to be obeyed."

Blanca Gonzalez, 40, of Plant City, was born in Benton Harbor, Mich. Her father was born in Mexico. Gonzalez and 15 members of her group, Immigrants United for Freedom, attended the rally.

"They're not asking for citizenship," she said. "They're asking for a way to work and be able to go back to their countries with a better way of life. Believe it or not, they'd rather be in their own countries."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"They're not asking for citizenship," she said. "They're asking for a way to work and be able to go back to their countries with a better way of life. Believe it or not, they'd rather be in their own countries."
    There is already a way but illegals just don't want to play by the rules. If they'd rather be in their own countries then go back and fix your own country!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

They're not asking for citizenship just a free pass to get any and everything they can get without following the same rules we follow! It's like I go to a bank and tell them to give me the money so I won't have to rob them of it! I'm needy for my family and the bank has all that money so why shouldn't they be humane and give me some? CONTEMPTABLE!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Many of the 45 marchers carried white crosses bearing the names of Mexicans and Central Americans who died trying to get to the United States. In all, 4,026 of these would-be immigrants have perished trying to get to the United States in the past two years, said Gloria Hernandez, general director of Inmigrantes Latinos Unidos de la Florida (United Latin Immigrants of Florida).
    Gloria, who carried the white crosses for the thousands of Americans who were murdered by illegal aliens during the past two years?

Why is it illegal alien deaths can be counted but there're no way to know the exact number of Americans murdered by them?

"We are asking the USA to look at the people who are dying," said Ignacio Zapata, 46, an American citizen living in Bonita Springs who is originally from Mexico.
    Good for you! Now start with those who died at the hands of drunk driving illegal aliens.

"Everybody knows we're trying to get everyone legalized. I think we're all here trying to make things better for ourselves. What's wrong with that?" asked Zapata, president of Inmigrantes Latinos Unidos de la Florida.
    All the while turning the US into the cesspool from which these illegal aliens came.

He added that a nationwide effort is under way to encourage legal and illegal immigrants to stay home from work March 1 to 7, unless Congress passes immigration reform legislation before then that would include a guest-worker program or amnesty for many of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the United States.
    Why not REALLY protest by going home there they belong

If by the end of that week there has been no progress, Zapata said, the boycott could be extended to 16 days.
    Why not extend it to a month, two months, 6 months, a year? GO HOME!

"If somebody is doing something wrong, then put them away," he said. "All immigrants, even white Americans, are going to be in our March protest."
    Another racist statement I see. Are these the Americans who hire illegals to save themselves money? Are these the Americans whose jobs depend on the illegal aliens LIKE YOURS?

"They have no rights," he said. "Their rallies demanding rights will turn more of the American people against them."
    Keep it down Tony. One more march should get more Americans out of their chairs and into the streets.

"The key thing I notice is that they are really angry," she said of the anti-immigrant side of the debate. "The people who support undocumented immigrants are not angry.
    And I certainly wouldn't classify them at patriotic either Carlene.

There are a lot of us who support them. I don't know why they're not here."
    Makes you wonder doesn't it, Carlene.

Blanca Gonzalez, 40, of Plant City, was born in Benton Harbor, Mich. Her father was born in Mexico. Gonzalez and 15 members of her group, Immigrants United for Freedom, attended the rally.
    Ever heard of "You Don't Speak for Me", Blanca? They're a great group of American citizens who owe their alligance to America not to the country of their relatives.

Believe it or not, they'd rather be in their own countries."
    Believe it or not, Blanca, I'd rather all 30 million of them be in their own countries, too.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    Gloria, who carried the white crosses for the thousands of Americans who were murdered by illegal aliens during the past two years?
    Exactly what I was going to say! This is such BS. If they weren't trying to sneak in, they wouldn't be dead. I know that sounds harsh, but I have had it with these so called victims!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

What a load of crap!!! If they're trying to become legal, why did they sneak into this country and start demanding rights?? Just makes my blood pressure rise!

I can't wait for that boycott week. Will they be putting a hault to driving drunk as well? Sounds like I might be throwing a party.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

another illegal protest

Why do illegals think that they deserve any rights in America? Since all they want is jobs, let us stop giving citizenship to their children and stop giving benefits to them. No one is going to tell me that the illegals and their non-citizen children are not using food and gaining benefits from the welfare given to the anchor babies. Also the illegals want in-state tuition for being illegals, free medical insurance, etc. We all would like to have just part of what illegals want. Enough is enough.

April
    Beckyal wrote:

Why do illegals think that they deserve any rights in America?
    Because our government is allowing them to think they do. I agree enough is enough!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast