Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

NBC REFUSES ADS FOR DIXIE CHICKS MOVIE

So much for free speech. Especially when it involves criticizing President Bush. Is this NWO stuff or what ?

UB

NBC REFUSES ADS FOR DIXIE CHICKS MOVIE
    Thu Oct 26 2006 21:21:10 ET

**Exclusive**

In an Ironic Twist of Events, NBC and The CW Television Network Refuse to Air Ads for Documentary Focusing on Freedom of Speech

NBC Claims that the Network “Cannot Accept These Spots as They are Disparaging to President Bush”

The CW Television Network that the Network Does “Not have Appropriate Programming in which to Schedule this Spot”

NBC and The CW Television Network have taken a stand against the Dixie’s Chicks new documentary “Shut Up & Sing” a behind-the-scenes look at the incredible political and media fallout that occurred in 2003 after the Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines said that she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." “Shut Up & Sing” opens in theaters in NY and Los Angeles on Friday and in theaters nationwide on November 10th.

NBC responded to a clearance report submitted by the Weinstein Company’s media agency saying that the network “cannot accept these spots as they are disparaging to President Bush.”

The CW Television Network responded that it does “not have appropriate programming in which to schedule this spot.”

Famed litigator David Boies stated, “It is disappointing and troubling that NBC and The CW would refuse to accept an otherwise appropriate ad merely because it is critical of President Bush."

Harvey Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company stated, “It’s a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America. The idea that anyone should be penalized for criticizing the president is sad and profoundly un-American.”

The Weinstein Company is exploring taking legal action.

The rejected commercials for “Shut Up & Post” can be viewed at http://www.shutupandpost.com

Developing...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

Anybody still watching NBC for other than sports oughta have their head examined. That network is totally useless. To hell with those communist liberal corporate slugs, we don't need no stinkin NBC. They want to actually styfle a discussion about our freedom to speach..HA.. they must be in on the conspiracy to impliment the NAU too.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't know how to react on this one . Because I can't stand the Dixie Chicks, And I am glad about this. But if it had been someone else this happened to. Then maybe I would feel differently.

I have to interject here...from the beginning, I have stated that the freedom of speech is guaranteed by those who have served, are serving, and will serve this nation. In my opinion, that freedom is not in fact free and comes with responsibilities. To just say anything you wish at any opportune moment is not in fact what freedom of speech is. I could go farther into it, but the basic sentiment is stated.

The Dixie Chicks were an incredible entertainment force whose brand of country music for some, was a welcome atmostphere. However, once they used their stage (in front of C/W Fans no less) for Natalie Mains to shoot off her mouth about the president during the time that she should have entertained the fans is unexcusable. I don't agree with everything our government does, but then again, working for the government, I understand a little better why we do the things we do. That doesn't give the Dixie Chicks license to trash anyone because they are "embarrassed" about someones politics.

After watching an interview with Oprah and the accusations that the Government was behind the Dixie Chicks downfall (oh, it couldn't have been the fans that stopped buying their CD's or buying their tour tickets...could it?) and calling it mean (meaning, they blamed the Government for the fans lashing out at them), I can't figure out where I had been brainwashed into not liking them anymore? Sometimes you just have to own up to your responsibilities, apoligize, and go on with life. Again, my opinion only, they are grinding an ax, and need to have the fans tell them to "get back in their swim lane" and do what they do best, entertain!

By the way, I have stated before and I want to make it clear, I don't support much of what President Jorge does. I am furious with his approach to the illegals, and many of our "homeland" issues. I would support impeachment proceedings on him...and the totality of Congress. So, don't take it that I was defending his failing policies...I just wish there were better choices out there for our nations leadership positions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by novaman
    That doesn't give the Dixie Chicks license to trash anyone because they are "embarrassed" about someones politics.
    There's just so many things wrong with this little sentence I really don't know where to start.

1. In the world of 'the free exchange of ideas', people have 'license' to say just about ANYTHING. You can't scream "FIRE!!!" in a theater, crowded or otherwise, UNLESS there really IS one.

2. That license is valid for just about any REASON. Inciting a riot comes to mind as a no-no, but i don't think embarassment quite qualifies.

3. It's not just SOMEONE, it's the President, a PUBLIC figure. Public figures have every expectation of criticism FROM 'their' public.

4. If 'politics' is not open for discussion in a nation of 'free ideas', when's the (insert several cusswords here) CORONATION?!?!?

UB ... I agree with you ... 'So much for free speech' ... we must protect the 'right' of citizens to speak out ... like what they say or not ... in this case I think it cost them a lot of money to use their 'right' ...
    "One Flag ... One Language ... ONE COUNTRY"....... Teddy Roosevelt

That is the great thing about this country and this forum. I respect the opinions of most of the people and especially those who do it "constructively" when they participate in these web sites. I can present an opposing opinion, and you can tell me yours, no harm, no foul. Kind of like a give and take thing. I think the major difference here is folks went to a gathering for entertainment, and got a political editorial. Not sure, but I don't think that is what the folks were looking for? Just a guess...

Banned
    Had that been the case, I would agree with you. If you watch the video of the 'incident', you'll hear the crowd CHEERING the statement. I cheered the statement, too.

I think people that disagreed with them had the right to boycott their music, the same way WE boycott businesses that piss us off. The part of this that *I* don't like is the 'corporate censorship' that is now trying to keep THEIR opinion out of the 'marketplace of ideas'.

I also think there are alot more people today that AGREE, GWB IS an embarassment.

Personally, I hate the Dixie Chicks. Whether or not you agree with Bush and the war in Iraq, the Dixie Brats should accept this as a product of their mouths. They ripped Bush in the beginning of the war and gave comfort to the enemy. IMO they are stupid, ignorant spoiled little brats that are brainwashed puppets of the DNC. I think they deserve everything they get...

If you are going to take a stand on something, great. Be prepared to have your comments scruitnized, and berated. And another thing, if they would have done this on American soil it may not have been so bad. But they chose to say this in a different country and that is one reason so many Americans are furious at them.
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast