Page 149 of 838 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249649 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 8376
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    UN, Bill Gates Foundation Push Deadly HPV Shots on Poor Nations Under GAVI Alliance

Anthony Gucciardi
    NaturalSociety
    November 18, 2011

A new campaign has been launched by an organization known as the GAVI Alliance to vaccinate up to 2 million women and girls with either GlaxoSmithKline’s Cervarix or Merck’s Gardasil by the year 2015. Of course these two HPV shots have been shown to be very dangerous, with Gardasil linked to death, countless adverse reactions, and Cervarix recently outed as similarly threatening.Nine countries are candidates for the HPV vaccine campaign, though they are not listed at this time. In addition, the price of the campaign is not being disclosed due to the “sensitive nature” of the price talks.
    Why would an organization supposedly dedicated to enhancing health worldwide push either HPV shot on up to 2 million women and young girls? Considering HPV results in only 1% of cancers, and has a 90% chance to resolve itself within two years, it does not seem worth the dangerous side effects and countless millions that will be spent on the upcoming campaign.
    GAVI Alliance funded by UN, vaccine industry, Monsanto investor Bill Gates

The GAVI Alliance, a name relatively unknown to many, is a Geneva-based public-private partnership set up in the year 2000 with financial backing from organizations such as the World Bank, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the vaccine industry, UNICEF, and many other unidentified philanthropists. It is important to note that a public-private partnership is a government and private industry merger or partnership, meaning that these corporate interests can intertwine with big government.
    Now known as the GAVI Alliance, the public-private partnership was previously known as the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation. Thanks to a $750 million dollar commitment from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, GAVI launched its initiative to vaccinate millions of individuals worldwide. Of course the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation also currently holds 500,000 shares of Monsanto, the bloated biotech company responsible for genetically modifying the food supply and creating mutated insect populations through the use of heavily altered biopesticides.
    It was also the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation that funded the release of genetically modified mosquitoes, which were actually released into the environment back in 2010 for testing purposes.
    Bill Gates has personally given an extremely controversial TED talk, in which he states:
    “The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”
    Skeptics argue that Gates could not have been talking about vaccine-induced deaths, though Gates clearly does not stutter or correct himself after making the statement. Watch the video of the TED talk below and decide for yourself:

Before potentially calling for a reduction in world population through vaccination and healthcare, Gates speaks on the phony the issue of CO2 emissions and its effects on climate change. He presents a formula for tracking CO2 emissions as follows: CO2 = P x S x E x C.
    P = People
    S = Services per person
    E = Energy per service
    C = CO2 per energy unit
    Gates then states that “probably one of these numbers is going to have to get pretty close to zero.” The audience laughs as Gates jokingly alludes to the human population being reduced to near zero.
    Even more concerning is the link between GAVI and the vaccine industry. In the past Merck has used bribery and other forms of corruption to push Gardasil on patients through government legislation and policy. In fact, it was revealed that Merck paid key legislators to pass the Gardasil bill that would enable the state to administer Gardasil to girls as young as 12 without parental permissions.
    Without much surprise, the bill ended up passing and being signed into law. The sales boost that Merck will receive from this law is not yet known, however Merck’s profits have recently exploded due in part to the skyrocketing sales of Gardasil. Merck may also manage to establish Gardasil as the primary HPV shot used in the GAVI alliance campaign, which would generate them countless millions.
    Governments, World Bank to help pay for deadly HPV shots

Merck is offering GAVI a deep discount on Gardasil, down to $5 per vaccine from $15 per three-dose course. While this may seem thoughtful, as GAVI appears to make 0 profit from their ‘generous’ act of dishing out the deadly Gardasil vaccine on poor nations, Merck stands to make a substantial profit.
    Thanks to a GAVI co-financing policy, recipient countries are required to contribute toward the cost of the vaccines. This guarantees that not only Merck, but Gavi as well, will receive considerable amounts of cash from the 9 unknown countries in which the HPV shots are being administered. Furthermore, the UN World Bank is actually issuing bonds to fund the HPV shot campaign.
    The International Finance Facility for Immunisation (IFFIm) is an organization integral in the funding of the campaign. Created to accelerate funding for vaccination campaigns, the IFFIm generates funds through the issuing of bonds in the capital markets, using long-term government pledges as a guarantee to pay back interest. Since it launched in 2006, the IIFIm has raised more than $3 billion by tapping into capital markets. This has doubled the funds available for GAVI’s immunization programs.
    Shockingly, GAVI’s Tax Form 990 for 2009 shows that GAVI has net assets of $2.5 billion — ($2,505,336,042 -page 1).
    Not only is the IFFIm generating billions in cash from governments, but Merck or GlaxoSmithKline may soon be getting a chunk of it for the HPV shot campaign. The IFFIm is funded by France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom and Australia. All of this information is available through GAVI fact sheets, available on their website.
    Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank lead-managed bonds

In a 2007 article on the World Bank’s website, it was revealed that the International Finance Facility for Immunisation hoped to raise $4 billion over the next 10 years to fund the vaccination of 500 million children. Among the first buyers were the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and three other British religious leaders at the IFFIm’s launch event in London.
    Other investors included North American investors (35%), UK investors (12%), Swiss investors (8%), and investors in the rest of Europe (21%). The remainder was placed with investors in the Middle East and Asia, according to the IFFIm. Interestingly enough, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank lead-managed the inaugural bond issue.
    Notes were also placed with North American investors (35 percent), UK investors (12 percent), Swiss investors (8 percent) and investors in the rest of Europe (21 percent). The remainder was placed with investors in the Middle East and Asia, according to IFFIm, the World Bank, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank; the latter two lead-managed the inaugural bond issue.
    EU legally bound to pay over 20 years

The article also mentions that the bonds will be repaid over 20 years by the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden and Norway under the terms of ‘legally binding’ agreements.
    The report states :
    It’s a good way to fund immunization programs because the benefits—lives saved—are realized more quickly as future donor contributions are used to provide funding now, she says.
    Millions spent from drained governments to push deadly HPV shots

As women take legal action against Merck for Gardasil-induced abortions and severe side effects, it seems quite outlandish for GAVI to launch a global HPV shot initiative. The HPV shot led to 3,589 harmful reactions and 16 deaths between May 2009 and September 2010 alone. Of the 3,589 adverse reactions, many were debilitating. Permanent disability was the result of 213 cases; 25 resulted in the diagnosis of Guillain-Barre Syndrome; there were 789 other “serious” reports according to FDA documents.
    It was also revealed that the FDA was hiding 26 additional Gardasil deaths until Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information act on the information.
    Organizations and governments around the globe should be banning Gardasil, not unleashing it on poor countries. It seems that GAVI, a multi-billion dollar merger of government and corporation, is not truly interested in improving the health of 3rd world inhabitants.

Explore More:
    1. Bill Gates Foundation Funds Experimental Insect Repellent
    2. How the Bill Gates Foundation is Genetically Manipulating Nature and Devastating Our Health
    3. Bill Gates Foundation Buys 500,000 Shares of Monsanto
    4. Bill Gates’ Foundation Funded Approval of Genetically Modified Mosquitoes
    5. Anthony Gucciardi Speaks on Gardasil Dangers, Merck’s Political Corruption
    6. Advisory Panel Urges CDC to Push Gardasil on Young Boys

http://naturalsociety.com/un-bill-ga...gavi-alliance/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wave Of Suicides Rises Among Indian Farmers (GMOs)

By Alex Rossi, India correspondent | Sky News Fri, Nov 18, 2011

The record suicide rate among farmers in India continues to rise and is threatening the country's stability and future development, according to campaigners.

They are blaming the government's policies for the agrarian crisis and are demanding it takes urgent action.

More than a quarter of a million farmers have killed themselves in the last 16 years in what is the largest recorded wave of suicides in history.

Kishore Tiwari, a campaigner with the Vidharbha Jan Andolan Samiti in Maharashtra state in central India, says cotton farmers have been particularly badly affected.

Many of them have only just moved to growing cash crops - like cotton - in the last few years.

He says the farmers have taken on large debts to buy hybrid seeds, which are often unsuited to the harsh and temperamental Indian climate.

"They are sold these modern seeds and modern chemicals and have to take on large debts to buy them.

"The problem is they need a lot of water which is in short supply and then when the crop is poor and they have to repay the money lenders, they despair and commit suicide."

Mr Tiwari says the suicides are a symptom of a wider crisis in the countryside.

India's has one of the fastest growing economies in the world but its roots are in the countryside and much of it is being left behind.

In a country with aspirations, moving away from a life of subsistence is attractive but it can also be deadly.

Vandana Moohorle is now bringing up her children alone after her husband killed himself by drinking pesticide.

Like many farmers, he had been persuaded to use genetically modified seeds by the possibility of a better harvest. What he wasn't told was that they needed more rain than the region provided.

His wife blames the government and the large agricultural companies for exploiting the rural poor who dream of a better life.

"He was always tense" she said. "He had borrowed a lot of money for pesticides and fertilizers and now I will have to pay back his debts. Debt is the reason for all the suicides around here and it's the people in charge who are responsible for it."

Across rural India there is now widespread despair. The fields are also filling up with widows.

Activists say it is the other side of India's economic success story.

Beyond the headlines of fast growth, most of the country is still poor and is being left behind by a corrupt political class who are preoccupied with their own greed.

They point to the alarming suicide numbers to prove their point.

More than 60% of India's population still depends on the countryside for survival but with unfettered globalisation and little support from the government, the rural classes are badly exposed.

In the face of rising inflation and with no safety net, the ultimate act of desperation is often their only answer to the new world they live in.

It is a sobering fact but on average one farmer now commits suicide in India every 30 minutes.

And campaigners say the problem will only get worse without direct intervention from the government in the form of subsidies and agricultural educational programmes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wave-suicides- ... 10878.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA
    Life in Argentina after the 2001 crisis

Priorities: Wants Vs. Needs

Monday, November 14, 2011
    3 comments

Ferfal,

Thankyou for dedicating your time to educating others on survival.

I have heard you on some podcasts and have followed your blog. I am a American with a large family. I have 6 young kids and live in a city of about 20 thousand population. I make a modest income with only a few hundred a month to spend on preparations. Given the current state of the U.S. Economy can you help me prioritize with some? I already have guns not enough ammo yet.

This is what I am planning:

Buy 3 steel doors with door jamb kick proof plates
    Buy a bullet proof vest
    Buy 6 months to a year of food
    Buy more filters for my water filter
    Buy a generator propane
    Plant 10 fruit trees
    Buy 2×4 studs and plywood sheets for windows
    Buy extra propane tanks
    Buy cheap gold wedding bands
    Put a chain link fence around house
    Buy German shepard dog
    Buy rabbit hutch and breed rabbits for meat

If I can get all that done before the dollar crashes I will be very surprised. That said what would you do priority wise.
    Or what else would you do if you think I am missing things? Thank you for your time. Patriot19

Hi Patriot19. It’s a bit complicated to provide this kind of advice without knowing more details regarding your particular situation, where you’re located and such. More in depth information is needed so as to provide proper consulting, so this will only be a broad approximation which may not be as accurate.

In general terms there are certain priorities that change little and there I dare make some recommendations. Food for example would be one of them. Without knowing more and based on your letter I can still say that you want to focus on food first and work towards that six month supply. You mention apple trees too, and those are a good idea as well. What I like about it is that it’s the kind of preparation that doesn’t require that much time, and will literally provide fruits for the rest of your life without consuming your time and money. Lemmon tress, oranges, apples, whatever trees or bush you can plant and with a minimum care enjoy its fruits that’s just fantastic.

A side note on money and preparing. Your letter in more focused on how to use your financial resources, but keep in mind there’s certain things you can do for free. A dog for example, you can look on line for someone giving away a dog that may fit what you’re looking for. Checking the local animal shelter is a good idea but today looking on line you can cover many more places where you may find one. I know there’s a Dogo Argentino shelter, and they locate rescued or abandoned Dogos with new owners. I’d jump on that opportunity if you had prior experience and know how to handle big, strong willed hunting dogs. Saving orange seeds to plant costs you nothing and it can be done with other fruits and vegetables too. If not you can buy seeds rather easily for very little money. Since you seem to have the land that’s definitely something you want to get going as soon as possible.

Putting a chain link fence around the house will cost you but that’s what I’d make my number two priority right after having the food in storage. The chain link fence combined with a couple large or medium sized dogs (its always better to have more than one) will improve your odds greatly against criminals. With the chain link fence and a couple dogs that consider it their domains to guard, you’re improving your security situation a lot.

The body armor vest is important and I always recommend owning it but since you’re funds are limited you may first want to make other considerations. If you don’t own a good defensive handgun then maybe sell some of the guns you own and buy one. If you haven’t received formal firearms defensive training then make that number three by all means. You may shoot very well, but defensive shooting isn’t about marksmanship, its about fighting, so get a CCW license and take at least one class. That will put you light years ahead in terms of defense than just piling guns in a safe. Once you have that covered, then yes, get body armor. There’s a sweet deal right now on used Point Blank Interceptor BA . There’s three, one for $100 and the other for $150, the like new one costs 400 bucks but I’d be ok with the cheaper ones. Its a quality chest with MOLLE so you can adapt it to what you need.

Point Blank Interceptor OTV (Outer Tactical Vest) Ballistic Body Armor, Woodland Camo, X-Large — Genuine U.S. Military Issue
    There’s also newlev body armor for $350.

Lightweight Bulletproof Bullet Proof Vest Concealable Body Armor IIIA 3A Light S-XL

You mention adding more water filters. How many have you got? Do you need these as of right now or is it just a precaution measure? At this point Id’ alter between hardening your home, saving some money (maybe an ounce of silver a month, once you covered the top three mentioned before) and working on your food production. It would be great if you could find a way to make this food production of yours profitable. If you can tell me that you have some people to which you already know you can sell some rabbits, maybe talked to some neighbors of yours or local butcher, then you’re talking about starting your own small scale home business and that’s something I’d really encourage you to do.

I don’t know if you need the generator bad or not. Would you depend on it to pump water if power goes down? Do you need it for some other essential need? If its just to run the fridge and some lamps then I’d wait until I took care of more urgent needs.
    I hope this gave you some ideas on how to continue with your preps and prioritize.

Take care and good luck!

FerFAL
    http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2011/11/p...-vs-needs.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Simple Survival Meals - The Advantages of Sandwiches for Survival

Sunday, November 20, 2011
    6 comments:

Due to their simplicity and familiarity in the eating habits of most people, sandwiches are often overlooked as a simple survival meal. They are a unique creation that can solve a number of problems that arise during a crisis or a disaster. Here are just a few of the advantages of sandwiches for survival.

The Advantages of Sandwiches for Survival

1. Sandwiches are quick and easy to make - They require little if any skill to make and creating a sandwich is limited only by your available ingredients and your imagination. This will also help you save time in your food cooking, preparation and cleanup.

2. Sandwiches can be made with just a few basic ingredients - This will help you conserve your food resources. Bread, biscuits or crackers can be easily converted into a sandwich with the addition of a few basic ingredients.

3. Sandwiches don’t require utensils - You don’t need a plate to eat a sandwich and can conserve your water resources by having less utensils to clean.

4. Sandwiches can be easily adjusted to fit the calories needed to survive - All you need to do is adjust the contents of your sandwich accordingly or simply make an additional sandwich. This enables you manage your food inventory more completely.

5. Sandwiches help conserve fuel resources - They can be eaten hot, cold or at room temperature. Can you say “no cook meal”?

6. Sandwiches are extremely portable - They able to be contained and carried in anything from a napkin, a plastic baggie or a simple piece of tin foil.

7. Sandwiches can be used to eliminate wasted food - Many leftover food items can be converted into sandwich ingredients to help utilize your food inventory in a more efficient manner.

8. Sandwiches can be used to complement other simple survival meals - A sandwich when combined with a bowl of soup goes a long way to satisfy a hungry person.

9. Sandwiches can also add variety to your survival menu - A simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich makes a quick and easy snack that works well to keep everyone in your group in good spirits.

10. Sandwiches can easily meet the needs for feeding a large group - They can be cut in half, made with a single slice of bread or in a number of ways that will allow you to stretch your food resources.

When it comes down to making simple survival meals, don’t overlook the advantages of sandwiches for survival.

Got PBJ’s?

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker

http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/...ges-of_20.html

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

5 tips to survive a worse case SHTF scenario.

Surviving is all about knowledge, training and preparation.

If you do all of those things on a regular basis, chances are pretty good youll survive even a worse case SHTF event. Fail to prepare and all I can say is Good Luck, we tried to warn you!

Here are five small things you can do to prepare yourself for future problems:

Create a worse case scenario evacuation plan

Get out your notebook and start to figure out what you would do in a bug out situation.
    • Do you know where you would go?
    • Do you have a plan of action in place?
    • Do you have alternate routes?
    If not, now’s the time to create an evacuation plan.
    Do a Threat Assessment
    Do an in depth assessment of your strengths and weaknesses.
    If you plan on Bugging Out analyze your plan for weaknesses.
    • Do you know your routes without a map?
    • Do you know where to find food and water along your routes?
    • Do you have a plan B?
    • What are the most likely threats?
    If you plan on hunkering down:
    • What are the most likely threats that you’ll face?
    • Do you have a security plan?
    • Is your location equipped and strong enough to face these threats?
    • How long could you survive at that location before leaving?
    Test your Skills
    Knowledge is great but have you ever tried to put that knowledge to use? To be truly be prepared, you need to start practicing your survival skills in a real world situation. A survival situation should never be the first time you test your skills.
    Take an inventory of your supplies
    Take an inventory of your supplies and calculate how long you can realistically survive with what you currently have. If your not satisfied with the outcome of your inventory assessment make a list of what you need and then start stockpiling those items. Check out our list of long-term survival foods for some ideas.
    Create a Survival Binder
    Knowledge is one of the most important things you can have is any survival situation. But how can you remember everything?
    A good way to start is by putting together a personal survival guide filled with important articles, tips and how-to guides. The guide should be filled with things that you would have a hard time remembering in a survival situation.

http://offgridsurvival.com/survivaltipsandtricks/

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Survival Food Feeding your family when the SHTF

Filed under Food & Water, Preparedness

A year’s supply of commercial survival food can cost thousands of dollars for a single person. Now add up all the members in your family and most people would be hard pressed to find that kind of money just laying around the house.
    Time and time again, I have readers emailing me in a panic over this issues. For some, it’s actually the one thing that prevents them from getting started in the first place.
    But you really don’t need commercial survival food to be prepared. In fact, you can find everything you need at your local supermarket or grocery store (if you know what to look for.)
    • Look for foods that have a long shelf life.
    • Look for foods that you normally eat, and buy a couple extra every time you go to the store. ( A survival situation isn’t the best time to be experimenting with new foods.)
    • Stock up around the holidays. Holidays can be a great time to score some great deals. If you have an extra freezer you can sometimes pick up 20lb turkeys for under $5. For around $100 you can stock your freezer with enough meat to help you make it through the year.
    • Bulk beans and rice – Believe it or not you can sustain yourself for a very long period of time on little more than beans and rice. For under a hundred dollars you can build up a decent size stockpile that will last for awhile.
    Having food in a survival situation also means learning how to be self sufficient.
    Another part of this whole emergency food equation includes knowing how to find, capture and cook wild foods. From knowing how to find the wild edibles in your area to learning how to hunt and fish, these are all things that can help provide for your family during an emergency.
    Hunting: At a minimum I would suggest buying a .22 rifle. They’re inexpensive and you can stockpile a very large amount of ammo without breaking the bank. Buy one now, learn how to use it and be confident in the fact that during an emergency you can provide for your family.
    Fishing: If you live anywhere near water you should have a fishing pole and a basic tackle box. For under $50 you can buy enough gear to feed your family indefinitely.

http://offgridsurvival.com/shtfsurvivalfood/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Willow Haven Outdoor
    Survival Prepardness Bushcraft

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Willow Haven Outdoor

Gigging for Survival: its all about the SMALLS

November 16, 2011 By Creek 5 Comments

I have a friend who makes a living selling items at flea-markets, fairs and festivals and he always says to me, “The money is in the smalls.” What he means by this is that he makes his living selling the $1 and $2 items – not the $100 big ticket items. Of course it’s great to sell a big ticket item every now and then but if he depended on big ticket sales to pay the bills he’d be out of business.

The same is true with Survival Hunting. It’s all about the SMALLS – the little critters like fish, frogs, snakes, cray-fish, crabs, rabbit, lizards, squirrel, mice, rat, rodents, bats, birds, turtle, possum and raccoon. It’s easy to get caught up in the idea of a Big Game Hunt with some fancy fashioned hunting set but at the end of the day it just isn’t all that practical. Your survival will depend on your ability to hunt, kill and eat the SMALLS.

When hunting small game, SIMPLE seems to be most effective in my experience. One of the most effective primitive hunting tools I’ve ever used has been the GIG – especially for fish and frogs. Don’t underestimate the ability of a simple GIG to put food on the table. You’ve probably seen Commercial Gigs (Tridents) like the one shown below. They are sold in the fishing section of almost any outdoor retailer.

These typically come with a bolt or screw which you use to mount it to the end of a 6-10 foot pole. They are only a few bucks. If you don’t have one, get one. They only weigh a few ounces and it’s a great piece of kit to have for a rainy day if you ever need it. In this post, however, I will present you with 2 primitive survival gigs made from natural materials with limited resources. There are literally dozens of ways to make a primitive gig but these 2 will at least get you thinking…

Primitive Gig # 1: The Split Gig

The name is pretty self explanatory. The Split Gig is simply a long pole with the end split into sections which are then sharpened. This pole can be anything from urban trash such as piece of PVC pipe to natural bamboo. If it’s long (6′ +), fairly straight and you can split the end then it will probably work. In my example below I used an 8 foot maple sapling.

I split the end down in 4 sections about 10 inches or so. I then wedged a small rock in the middle and drove it in with a smaller stick. This helped to spread the ‘tines’ into the shape you see. You could also use a small stick wedged in each split. I then sharpened each ‘tine’ to a point.

I then wrapped the base of the split with a natural fiber twine to prevent it from splitting further down the shaft. For short-term use this isn’t necessary. Bamboo is perfect for this kind of gig and has been used by many primitive cultures for gigging and spearing small game since the beginning of mankind. I recently planted a small Bamboo grove at Willow Haven so that we can harvest Bamboo for training during our courses and a primitive Bamboo Gig will definitely be on the training menu.

Primitive Gig # 2: Hollow Shaft Gig

Many different versions of this gig can be made, but the basic principle is the same. It all starts with a long pole or shaft that is either hollow or that can be hollowed out at the gig-end. In this example I have actually used a weed – to demonstrate the versatility of gig materials. For the pole I used Giant Ragweed – often called Horseweed – which grows as a weed in most of North America. I featured this invasive weed in a different post HERE if you want to learn more about it. In it’s maturity, Giant Ragweed is very stiff and develops a woody-like stem. The center is pithy and can be hollowed out with little effort.

Next, the idea is to jam in and wedge or glue a variety of thin sharp objects that form a gigging tip. Again – this can be almost anything from urban trash like coat hanger wire or nails to natural materials such as wood splinters or thorns. I decided to keep things au naturale and use only natural found materials. I used Locust Thorns for the gig tines and pine sap/charcoal glue to hold them in place. If you missed my post about how to make Pine Pitch Glue – you can see that HERE. Below is a photo stream of the process:

The thorn tines were rock solid once the pitch glue dried and I wrapped the end with strips of Mulberry bark. If you don’t already know, the bark from limbs of a mulberry tree peel off in strips and makes excellent ‘quickie-cordage’.

All in all, I was really happy with the result. Not too bad for a weed, some thorns and a little bit of nature made glue.

This Gig definitely took more time and resources than a Split Tip Gig but it’s a good option none-the-less.

I pushed on a few sections of corn cob to protect the tines (and me) while in transit.

Conclusion

If you’ve never used a gig, I would suggest trying it at least once simply for the experience. Check with your local DNR office about Frog Gigging rules/regulations/season for your state. Most states don’t allow the use of a primitive gig but using a commercial gig is good practice just in case you ever have to draw from your survival knowledge in a desperate situation. I used a Commercial Gig for the ones below earlier this year but practiced my aim on some cattails while I was out.

Besides survival practice, the bonus is delicious frog legs. If you’ve never had them you are definitely missing out on one of the most overlooked delicacies in the world.

Below is a link to some frog leg recipes just for kicks: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/650/

As always, tuck it away – because it’s not IF but WHEN,

Creek
    Similar Posts:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featur...ut-the-smalls/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Willow Haven Outdoor

4 Reasons To Add a Pellet Air Gun To Your Survival Gun Arsenal

March 9, 2011
    By Creek
    7 Comments

You read the heading correct I said Pellet Gun. Yes, the kind powered by air just 1 step above a BB gun. I own many guns of many calibers and styles for many different purposes. Among these is a good quality Pellet Air Gun and its not just because I still have it from when I was a kid. I INTENTIONALLY have added this gun to my survival rifle options for very specific reasons which I have detailed below. If youve never considered a Pellet Gun as a survival rifle option, you might change your mind after reading this post.

Next to my 12 Gauge Mossberg and my Ruger 10-22 sits a very cool and collected Benjamin Sheridan 392 .22 caliber Multi-Pump Pellet Gun and I treat it with the same respect as it is a very specialized soldier in my arsenal.

Benjamin Sheridan 392 .22 Cal Multi-Pump Pellet Gun

As a student and instructor of survival living, I take my gun choices very seriously and only add one to my cabinet if it deserves to be there. Below are 4 reasons (in no particular order) why a Pellet Gun deserves to be including in your Survival Rifle selection:

Survival Reason # 1: Excellent Small Game Hunter

A pellet gun, especially .22 caliber, is an excellent weapon to take down small game. While people have taken larger game such as wild boars with air guns, they are best suited for small game. Hunting small game is perfect for any survivalist. Rabbit, squirrel, dove, quail, duck and the like are excellent food sources and are readily available in most of the country. With practice, hunting small game with a pellet gun is absolutely no problem.

Small Game Hunter

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-conten ... et-gun.jpg

I have taken many small game animals with my .22 cal pellet gun. It requires better stalking skills, but that is a good skill to learn anyway. It requires better shooting skills, but that is also a good skill to hone in on. Hunting with a pellet gun will force you to be a BETTER hunter and it will also put dinner on the table. For an interesting photo gallery of pellet gun hunting kills visit: http://www.adventuresinairguns.com/gallery56-i-12.html

Survival Reason # 2: The AMMO

The Pellet Guns AMMO is one of the more convincing reasons to have one on hand. Pellets, no matter the caliber, are very cheap.

.177 cal Pellets - 500 Count for $10

You can buy 100s of pellets for just a few bucks. Spend $50 and youve got enough to last a lifetime of small game hunting. If all hell breaks loose, traditional ammunition will become increasingly difficult to get your hands on. Not to mention that it will be ridiculously expensive. If the world we live in ever gets this way, why waste your traditional ammo on hunting squirrel or other small game? That would be wasteful and careless if there was a smarter way. There is PELLETS.

1000s of Pellets Fit into Small Spaces

Not only are pellets DIRT CHEAP, they are very small. You can carry 1000s and not even know they are there. You can store 10s of 1000s in just 1 shoe box. To top it off, pellets have a shelf life of pretty much FOREVER! Traditional ammunition can go bad over time. Especially with the talks of giving ammunition an expiration date, stocking a few 1000 pellets isnt a bad idea.

Worse case scenario you could use all these extra pellets to reload your shot-gun shells.

Reload Empty Shotgun Shells With Pellets

Survival Reason # 3: Silent Shooter

Forget the earplugs. These guns are silent. In many survival scenarios, a silent weapon is a good thing. Not only can you hunt without drawing attention to yourself or your family, but shooting a silent weapon often means you can get off more than 1 shot if there are multiple targets. Both of these are positive. People pay 1000s of $$$ to make their guns silent. No extra charge for the pellet gun.

Survival Reason # 4: Powered By Air

You dont have to buy air. And, its never going to be out of stock. For this reason, I prefer either a MULTI-PUMP or BREAK-BARREL Pellet Air Gun. I have opted NOT to purchase a CO2 or pneumatic powered air gun. Needing to refill canisters or tanks doesnt make any sense in a survival situation. You want to keep it as old fashioned as possible. Its hand pump all the way for this survivalist.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-conten ... rifles.jpg

Break-Barrel Survival Pellet Guns

There are tons of options when it comes to Hand Pump or Break Barrel guns. They both come in .177 and .22 calibers. The fps varies depending on the gun. My Multi-Pump Sheridan shoots 850 fps but there are models out there that shoot upwards of 1250 fps which rivals some rim-fire cartridges. Like anything, the details are personal choices. However, I definitely suggest a PUMP or BREAK-BARREL so that you can manually charge your air chamber rather than being dependant on other air supply products.

So there you have it, 4 solid reasons why I keep a Pellet Gun in my survival arsenal.

I hope this has been useful information and as always I would love you hear your thoughts and comments.

Cheers-

Creek

Delivered by FeedBurner

Similar Posts:

* The Take Down Survival Bow & Arrow: 6 Reasons You Should Consider Owning One http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... wning-one/

* Long Term Ammo Storage http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... o-storage/

* The Ruger 10/22 Rifle: A Survival Cameleon http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... -cameleon/

* How To Choose The Right Machete: Your Machete Style & Function Guide http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/survival- ... ion-guide/

* 5 Reasons Why to Carry a Leatherman MUT as your Multi-Tool http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... ulti-tool/

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... n-arsenal/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Willow Haven Outdoor

Every Day Carry (EDC) Philosophy

July 8, 2011
    By Creek
    10 Comments

Every Day Carry (EDC) is about as personal as it gets when it comes to discussing survival gear and/or mentality. I personally really enjoy discussing EDC with other survival junkies.

What is EDC?

Every Day Carry is the phrase that encompasses the survival related gear that you carry on your person. It could be in your pockets, in a back-pack, hanging from a carabiner, in a sheath, on your belt or around your neck. There are all kinds of ways to carry your EDC gear. The underlying concept behind EDC is that you are carrying the necessary tools on you to help get you through a survival situation in the event that something unexpected happens. Below is a picture of my EDC carabiner with a variety of survival tools.

EDC Carabiner

What items are considered EDC?

EDC can be anything that you think is important. Its different for everyone. It can be as simple as a pocket knife to as complex as a mini Bug Out Bag on your back and everything in between. If its an item that you think could help increase your chances of survival should something crazy suddenly and unexpectedly happen, then its EDC. It doesnt have to be so extreme either. Many guys and gals carry EDC and dont even know it. For example, my Grandpa always carried a beat up Old Timer pocket knife and used it constantly for fishing, farm work and preparing meals. This knife was his EDC.

Whats YOUR EDC?

My EDC is constantly evolving. As I meet with other survivalists and see their EDC I change mine and vice versa. I have 2 EDC sets. The first is my ALL THE TIME EDC which consists of my cell phone, my keys w/ P38 can opener, my wallet w/ fresel lens, a tube of Carmex lip balm (fire extender), and a Spyderco Native. These are the items I carry all the time to Church, to the grocery, to work, around the house, etc

Creek's Daily EDC

I also have a 2nd EDC set that I carry with me when I do anything outside of my daily routine such as take a road trip, go hunting, go canoeing, travel, etc. This kit is much more extensive and is carried on a carabiner attached to my belt. Should anything completely unexpected happen, these tools can give me a huge head start in getting through.

Below is a detailed photo of the items included in this kit.

Creeks Carabiner EDC: The BreakdownIn this set I have:

* A Gerber Multi Tool with Pliers, Flat & Cross Point Screw Drivers, Tweezers and Small Knife
    * Fold out Mini Saw
    * 20 Feet of Cordage
    * 10 Feet of Duck Tape
    * Black Aluminum Watertight Canister with a cube of WetFire and some Steel Wool
    * Green Watertight Canister with Water Purification Tabs and a Small Fishing Kit
    * A Pulsar LED Light
    * A Ferro Rod
    * A Fox Pro Whistle
    * 2 Ranger Bands (rubber innertube cut cross-wise)
    * 1 Climbing Carabiner

Like I said, I am constantly changing and revising my EDC sets but right now this is what they look like at the time of this post.

The EDC Gallery

I have started an EDC Gallery here at WillowHavenOutdoor.com Its a gallery where you can upload a photo of your own EDC Set to share with other visitors. Its a great way to learn, share and revise. This post and gallery is brand new so it may take a few days to get some submissions but I hope you will consider sharing your EDC.

The EDC Gallery can be found HERE and also from a link in the right Side Bar. http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/every-day ... c-gallery/

Survival is a way of life. It is an awareness of what could happen and being prepared to deal with the unexpected. EDC fits right in with this mentality. I hope youve enjoyed my thoughts on EDC. What are yours?

Remember, its not IF but WHEN,

Creek

Similar Posts:

* Build Your Own Every Day Carry (EDC) Survival Tin: Featuring the RSK Mk5 Knife http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... mk5-knife/

* Bug Out Survival Fire Kit http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/everythin ... -fire-kit/

* WHO Training Philosophy http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/survival-school/

* Mora Knife Modifications http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... fications/

* Mora Sheath Modifications Video http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/willowhav ... ons-video/

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... hilosophy/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.