Page 150 of 844 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250650 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 8433
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 28 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 27 guests)

1. Airbornesapper07
    South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Willow Haven Outdoor
    Survival Prepardness Bushcraft

Every Day Carry (EDC) Gallery

This is what is always on me. A few additional items are added in when not working or where restricted.

Keychain with ~ 9 feet paracord in box knot lanyard, P38 can opener, bottle opener, good luck charm, and keys of course. Bic lighter with ~ 6 feet of duct tape. Pen, lip balm, fresnel lens, sunglasses, ~ 10 feet paracord bracelet. wallet with cash, credit card, and paper. Favourite item: Leatherman Freestyle CX. Beautiful everyday carry. Strong blade, functional.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-conten ... andrew.jpg
    Urban EDC for sunny Johannesburg with mini belt kit at the bottom

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-conten ... 3/edc2.jpg
    Kahr PM9 and keys with a small multi-tool that includes: pliers, a knife, screw driver, saw, can opener, and LED light.

I carry a folding knife in a leather sheath, a Leatherman Wave in nylon with a couple dry cotton balls in plastic in the rear slot meant for the bit kit, plus a firesteel and magnesium rod in the side elastic loops. The loose carabiner goes on my belt with the hasp on the inside so it can't come open and the loaded carabiner goes on this. On that carabiner, I carry a Photon 2 Microlight, a Sunto Comet compass / thermometer, Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper tweezers, pill carrier with Aleve and sinus pills, fingernail clippers with file, firesteel striker, and my grocery discount cards. It stays tucked away in my front pocket so it's out of sight and not making noise.

I freakin love this Leatherman MUT. It is a beast.

This is my Kershaw folder and paracord lanyard

This is my Petzl Biner Knife I keep with my keys. I also keep the aluminum canister that has fire tinder, a metal match and a fishing kit with 30 feet of line.

Chris' Smith & Wesson Police Issue Blade & Lighter Torch

Gerber Camp Axe/Knife, LED Light, Exacto Set, Lighter, Extra Battery, Multi-Tool, Wire Clips

My EDC is this Mcusta folder. It's light, sharp as a razor, and elegant looking (I wear a suit everyday). The Damascus blade really holds an edge!

Anonymous

Brian Romano's Kershaw Scallion: Kershaw Scallion EDC

Creek's EDC: Spyderco Native, Keys w/ P38 Can-Opener, Carmex

Creek's Carabiner EDC: Gerber Multi-Tool, Folding Mini Saw, Canister with WetFire & Steel Wood, Ferro Rod, Fox Pro Whistle, Canister with Fishing Kit, Pulsar Light, 20 feet Bank Line, 10 feet Duct Tape

Besides paracord bracelet: Gerber Bear Grylls Scout folder (or Kershaw Skyline), Gander Mtn 230 Lumen flashlight, Chap Stick, Bic, Jute Twine, Ferro Rod and striker, G26 Mag (not necessarily EVERYday). I'd like to find a good ABC watch, any ideas there?

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/every-day ... c-gallery/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

Good Site for a lot of Unique Every Day Carry
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Willow Haven Outdoor

Bug Out Vehicle: Creeks Former 1968 Ford Bronco

January 20, 2011
    By Creek

Creek's Former BOV: 1968 Ford Bronco

After I sold my first Bug Out Vehicle, I started work on my next BOV a 1968 Ford Bronco. I went for a more earth-tone color with this truck Matte Brown.

The custom roof cage allowed me to pack tons of gear on top and the custom swing-away rear cage allowed me to store over 20 gallons of extra fuel in addition to the Broncos stock DUAL fuel tanks. That was plenty to get me to my BOL. I could have used a couple of those rear containers as water storage if needed as well.

Bug Out Vehicle: Swing Away Fuel Storage

I cleared the back of the Bronco to allow for gear storage. It was plenty of space for supplies and even an extra person or 2 if necessary. I mounted a Hi-Jack just behind the rear seats. Because of the lift on the truck a normal jack wouldnt work even on flat ground.

Bug Out Vehicle: Gear Storage

The custom brush guard would have served its purpose well. I mounted off-road lights on this guard for added visibility.

Bug Out Vehicle: 1968 Ford Brocno - Full Roll Cage

My favorite thing about this truck (and all older trucks for that matter) is that I am comfortable working on the engine. It had a no frills carbeurated 289 engine with a manual 3 speed. I dont claim to be a mechanic, but I could get my way around this engine pretty well and I liked that. I could fix about anything with a pair of plyers and a screwdriver.

My thoughts:

Positives:

- Excellent off road vehicle
    - Enough storage for me
    - Easy to work on

Negatives:

- Maybe not enough storage for a family
    - Low MPG
    - Older truck so more problems

I would love to hear your thoughts on this BOV or the topic in general?

Thanks- Creek

Similar Posts:

* Bug Out Vehicle: Creeks Former 4—4 Ford E350 Van http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... -e350-van/

* 1972 Ford Bronco Bug Out Vehicle http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/bugging-o ... t-vehicle/

* Bug Out Vehicle (BOV): 5 Essential Elements http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... lements-2/

* Bugging Out With Children?: The Last Ditch Bug Out Concept Wagon http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/bugging-o ... ept-wagon/

* Vehicle Every Day Carry Items (VEDC) http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/bugging-o ... tems-vedc/

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/bugging-o ... rd-bronco/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Willow Haven Outdoor

The Take Down Survival Bow & Arrow: 6 Reasons You Should Consider Owning One

January 22, 2011
    By Creek
    9 Comments

Survival Bow: A Versatile Tool

I am a big fan of the Bow & Arrow for many reasons. I personally think that anyone who has an interest in primitive survival skills or modern urban survival should seriously consider purchasing a good Bow & Arrow and become proficient in using it. There are 100s of bows to choose from. My Bow of choice is an October Mountain Blue Ridge Hunter Take Down Recurve Bow. Below are 6 Reasons why I think you should consider owning a Survival Take Down Bow.
    1. PORTABILITY
    “Take Down” means that the bow comes apart in 3 pieces: the middle grip section & the 2 limbs. It is super simple to ‘take down’ – just the twist of a couple lug screws and voila. The fact that it comes apart makes it very portable. You can stash the bow in your pack or Bug Out Bag. It’s perfect for a Bug Out Vehicle or BOL (Bug Out Location) cache. And, it weighs very little. My bow weighs only a couple of pounds – if that.

Creek's Survival Take Down Recurve Bow

Takedown Recurve Bow & Arrows in the WillowHavenOutdoor Utforska Bushcraft Pack

2. AFFORDABLE
    A good Take Down Bow should only cost you a couple 100 bucks and if you take care of it, you can expect it to last your lifetime. Not only is the bow itself affordable, but the ammunition (arrows) are cost effective too. Once you hone your shooting skills, you should be able to retrieve your arrows after shooting….and reuse them over and over again. With a little practice, you can easily make your own arrows using wooden dowels or even natural found wood and plant shafts.

3. VERSATILITY
    Modern arrows have come a long way. Most new carbon fiber arrows (ultra light weight) have a tip that accepts different screw in arrow tips. I have an extensive selection of tips to choose from: small game stunner tips, broad head razor large game tips, standard practice tips, hook tip and line for bow fishing, etc… I’ve killed both squirrel and deer using my Take Down Bow with different arrow tips. A good selection of arrow tips can be easily kept in a pack or vehicle. I practice flint knapping regularly so that if I was ever in a situation when I need to make my own arrow points I would know how.

Some modern arrow points as compared to flint arrow-heads

Variety of Arrow Tips: Offers hunting versatility

4. LAWS, RED TAPE & PAPERWORK
    Legal limitations and laws are much more lax on the Bow & Arrow than they are with guns and bullets. You don’t have to mess with paperwork and permits even though in the right hands the Bow & Arrow is equally as deadly. The less you have to deal with this stuff the better – especially if things get messy.

Take Down Recurve Bow: A Great Survival Bow

5. SILENT
    The bow and arrow is very quiet weapon. You never know when you might need the convenience of a weapon that is silent & deadly.

6. MULTI-USE
    Some pieces of a Take Down Recurve Bow Kit can be Multi-Use items – this is always a plus. I like for everything I pack to have at least 2-3 other uses. The first and most obvious is the Bow String. Bow strings range in length from 4 feet to 6 feet and are incredible strong. You could use a bow string in a variety of ways. Below is just a brief list:

- Bow Drill for Fire
    - Snares/Traps
    - Cordage for Shelter Building
    - Trot Line Fishing

If you are packing a bow then you are probably packing a few arrows as well. Arrows can be used as spears and gigs for small game & fish. They can also be lashed to a longer shaft and used as a larger spear for big game such as wild pig. This larger spear can be used in self defense as well. Imagine a spear with 3 Arrows lashed to the end and each of the arrows had a razor broadhead on the tip – you can’t even buy a spear that effective. I’m sure there are some more multi-use features but these are the few I could easily think of. I would love to hear any ideas you have on the subject of Multi-Use with a Bow and Arrow Kit.
    My Final Thoughts:
    Positives:
    - Very Portable for such an effective long range weapon
    - Silent
    - Affordable
    - Multi-Use
    - Can reuse arrows
    - Can make arrows in the bush
    - Lax laws

Negatives:
    - Requires practive and skill to be effective
    - Arrows can be a little cumbersome to pack

A few good movies that feature a Bow & Arrow in a Survival Situation are:
    - Book of Eli
    - Red Dawn
    - Rambo – pretty much all of them

What I enjoy most about a Bow & Arrow is that it requires skill to use. It is a weapon that carries a certain amount of respect. 99% of being able to effectively use the Bow & Arrow is the skill itself – not the equipment. The skill will always be with you. Even if your bow is damaged or broken in a survival situation or stolen in a bug out situation, you can make a bow as long as you have a nice strong piece of cordage. In the photo below I made this bow from a hickory sapling using only my knife. I also made the arrow. Making a bow and arrow in the bush is definitely an option. However, it will do you know good if you don’t know how to shoot it. Preparation is the key. Practice now for the situation later.
    Creek with Home Made Hickory Bow

Hopefully this was useful content if you are thinking about getting a Survival Take Down Bow. If you have any questions on the matter – just let me know. Would love to hear your thoughts…
    Cheers-
    Creek

UPDATE TO POST: 7/18/11
    Just found these take-down arrows at the link below. These would be excellent pack arrows:

http://stores.thepathfinderschoolllc...own/Detail.bok
    Similar Posts:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featur...er-owning-one/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Vitamin D supplementation

Vitamin D3 supplementation is an effective alternative to UV exposure, provided adequate doses are taken.

Vitamin D3 supplementation is an effective alternative to UV exposure, provided adequate doses are taken.
    Vitamin D needs

Vitamin D from both capsules and liquid is equally effective in treating vitamin D deficiency.
    Much individual variation exists in response to supplemental vitamin D. The amount needed to raise and/or maintain blood serum levels for one person may not be enough for another. This is due to various factors such as age, weight, absorption, overall health, and amount of sun exposure. Recent research has determined that genetic variants are also a factor. 1
    The only way to know for sure if a certain dosage is working for you is to have your vitamin D levels tested. Occasional monitoring of these levels will one determine what dose is right for them.
    Current US Government recommended amounts

Adequate Intake for vitamin D represents the daily intake established by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) as sufficient to maintain bone health and normal calcium metabolism in healthy people. 2
    FNB daily Adequate Intake (AI) for vitamin D

• Children and adults up to the age of 70 years - 600 IU
    • Seniors 70+ years - 800 IU
    Why these amounts are inadequate

US Government recommended Adequate Intake for vitamin D is too low to receive many of vitamin D's benefits.
    The problem with current recommendations is that vitamin D influences a much wider array of physiological processes other than simply maintaining bone health and normal calcium metabolism. 3

For proper functioning, a healthy human body utilizes around 3,000-5,000 IU of vitamin D per day - indicating the current recommended intakes are not high enough to raise and/or maintain the vitamin D levels necessary for proper health. 4
    Vitamin D Council recommended amounts

Based on the body's indicated daily vitamin D usage, Vitamin D Council recommends the following amounts of supplemental vitamin D3 per day in the absence of proper sun exposure. Due to the variable response discussed above, these are only estimated amounts.
    • Healthy children under the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU.
    • Healthy children over the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU per every 25 lbs of body weight.
    • Healthy adults and adolescents – at least 5,000 IU.
    • Pregnant and lactating mothers - at least 6,000 IU.
    Additionally, children and adults with chronic health conditions such as autism, MS, cancer, heart disease, or obesity may need as much as double these amounts.
    Tolerable Upper Intake Level

The US Government’s Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for vitamin D is set at 4,000 IU per day. While this is a step in the right direction from the previous UL at 2,000 IU per day, in some situations - such as with those who are obese - it may still be too low. An upper limit this low will also result in the prevention of adequate doses from being used in studies, greatly curtailing our understanding of vitamin D’s physiological effects as well as the true extent of its treatment potential. 5 6 7
    Experts agree the Upper Limit for vitamin D should be raised to 10,000 IU per day.
    Current expert consensus is that the US Government UL for vitamin D is too low and that it should be raised to 10,000 IU per day. 6 7 8 Since this is the amount one would naturally produce in their skin from sun exposure, it is considered safe. 9
    Can I take more than 10,000 IU per day?

Wanting to raise vitamin D levels quickly, some people choose to supplement with amounts higher than 10,000 IU per day until target levels are achieved. When using vitamin D in these amounts, frequent monitoring of blood levels (preferably as supervised by your physician) as well as adequate magnesium intake are advised. Once blood serum levels are optimized, daily amount should be lowered to the amount necessary to sustain these levels. How much is needed will be unique to the individual, but it should be somewhere around 5,000 IU per day.
    Which type of vitamin D?

Oil vs. powder

Vitamin D3 supplements come in two forms:
    • oil (cod liver oil-based) - fat-soluble vitamin D, includes liquid drops or gel caps.
    • dry powder (lanolin-based) - water-soluble vitamin D, includes capsules or tablets.
    As far as we know, both water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamin D are equally absorbed and metabolized by the body, and are thus equally effective.
    D2 vs D3

Read the Vitamin D Council's full position statement on vitamin D2 vs D3 here.
    Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is the type of vitamin D the body naturally produces in the skin in response to sun exposure. Vitamin D2 is produced naturally when fungi (yeast or mushrooms) are exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun or to artificial UV light.

Scientific studies have demonstrated the bioequivalence of vitamin D2 and D3 in forming 25(OH)D when daily consumption of either precursor occurs over a minimum of 6 weeks 10. There is other evidence that the body has preference to D3 over D2, showing in these studies that the body more readily uses D3 when it has both forms in the body, and that D3 is more potent than D2 for producing 25(OH)D 11.

Although both D2 and D3 are effective for raising blood levels of 25(OH)D, the Vitamin D Council believes that vitamin D3, as produced in human skin, is the more natural precursor, and recommends supplementing with vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 supplements are not vegetarian and are not likely to be derived from American products. If an individual has ethical concerns over D3, D2 can be an effective replacement.

How should I take my vitamin D?

Both forms of vitamin D may be taken any time of day with, or without, any other food or supplement and still remain effective. If one is concerned about absorption, they may take their vitamin D at mealtime, though there is no evidence to indicate this is more effective.
    Most people take their vitamin D daily, yet there are some who opt to take it weekly at a higher dose. Since the body is designed to store vitamin D for future use, a weekly interval should produce the same results as daily use. 12
    Mixing sun exposure and supplements

It is okay to use both sun exposure and intermittent supplementation to receive one's vitamin D. Simply do not take any supplemental vitamin D on the days when proper sun exposure is received. Keep in mind that vitamin D taken orally bypasses the body's built in toxicity protection with that obtained by sun exposure. As with daily use of oral vitamin D, periodic monitoring of levels is advised.

Precautions

People with the following conditions should only take vitamin D with the guidance of a knowledgeable physician:
    • primary hyperparathyroidism
    • sarcoidosis
    • granulomatous TB
    • some cancers
    Those with primary hyperparathyroidism should only use vitamin D when under the care of a knowledgeable endocrinologist.
    Interactions with medications

There have yet to be any documented instances of an adverse interaction of vitamin D with any medications. There are, however, medications which have been found to interfere with the body’s proper utilization of vitamin D. They are: 2
    • Steroids - impair vitamin D metabolism, contributing to bone loss and development of osteoporosis.
    • Xenical®, alli™, Questran®, LoCholest®, and Prevalite® - reduce vitamin D absorption.
    • Dilantin®) - increases hepatic metabolism of vitamin D to inactive compounds.
    Page last edited: 31 October 2011
    References

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about...pplementation/

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

STAY AWAY FROM CHEMOTHERAPY AND RADIATION

By Dr. James Howenstine, MD.
    November 25, 2011
    NewsWithViews.com
    For many years it has been known to well informed individuals within the medical community that chemotherapy and radiation were quite toxic and essentially worthless in the management of malignancies. This information is carefully covered up by our controlled media so that these two methods of therapy are regarded by lay persons as the proven therapy for malignancies. Like lemmings going over a cliff the general public lines up for these therapies and nearly all treated persons proceed to die.
    To the person who inquires how can an essentially worthless therapy continue to be used as the answer is simple. It is all about money. Chemotherapy drugs bring in more than a trillion dollars annually to the pharmaceutical industry. Oncologists frequently make (actually the number can now be over $50,000 per injection) $1000 from every injection administered to a patient. There are 40 National Cancer Institute Centers scattered across the USA. Each of these employs thousands of employees. Curing cancer would be devastating for the economy and must not be allowed to occur. Research programs whose alleged purpose is to cure cancer see their funds steered into harmless areas where no cancer cures will ever result. Less than 1% of research funds are spent finding methods to prevent the spread of cancer, which is the cause of fatal cancer cachexia which kills 90% of cancer victims.

Preventing unfavorable chemotherapy results from being seen by the public in TV, radio, and newspaper reporting is combined with malicious quackery charges and actual death threats to practitioners who have legitimate cancer cures. I am aware of at least a dozen cancer cures since 1900 that have been ignored or suppressed. Several persons with bonafide cancer cures have been so vilified they died alcoholics or committed suicide. Prominent physician Dr. Milbrook Johnson was fatally poisoned the night before he was scheduled to speak on a national radio network in the 1940s about the ability of Dr. Royal Rife’s electronic equipment to cure cancer and infections.

Both chemotherapy and radiation have such toxic effects on the human body they must be stopped before they kill the patient. In the early days of chemotherapy drugs it was noted that skeptical patients who refused to take chemotherapy usually lived longer than patients treated with chemotherapy. (in the 1940’s research was done that showed the average life expectancy was 4 times longer for those that took no treatment)

Radiation therapy directed toward a bone containing cancer might initially seem innocuous but actually has effects throughout the body. Circulation of blood through areas of ionizing radiation being delivered to bone is able to transport this radiated blood to distant sites where it can injure bone marrow production of killer lymphocytes, red blood cells, macrophages and platelets. Loss of appetite and nausea can also be seen. Conventional radiation to the abdomen and other areas may be followed by permanent injury to the small intestine, liver, pancreas, colon, (diarrhea, pain) and arteriosclerosis of arteries in any field of radiation.

A suspected cancer patient had x-ray films showing numerous lucent identical sized masses overlying brain and spinal cord tissue. The films were misread as metastasis from a prior malignant melanoma instead of echinoccocal cysts spread from the family dogs. Massive radiation of brain and spinal cord tissue caused complete loss of appetite with no food intake and death in 8 days in a previously well 26 year old woman.

What are results of chemotherapy drugs? Associate Professor Graeme Morgan of Australia was the lead researcher on an article titled “The contribution of cytotoxic chemotherapy to 5 year survival in adult malignancies.” This research showed that chemotherapy improved 5 year survival by less than 3% in adults with cancer. In 1987 Dr. Lana Levi of the University of California wrote “most cancer patients in this country die of chemotherapy. It does not eliminate breast, colon, or lung cancer. This fact has been known for over a decade. Women with breast cancer are likely to die faster with chemotherapy than without it.”

Dr. Ralph Moss Ph.D. relates that “Conventional Cancer therapy is so toxic and dehumanizing that I fear it more than I fear death from cancer. Yet most alternative therapies regardless of potential or proven benefit, are outlawed, which forces patients to submit to the failures that we know don’t work because there is no other choice. Dr. Moss was employed as a science writer for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Chemotherapy drugs are cellular poisons so they are quite toxic. They are also quite expensive. In his book The Cancer Industry he documents how the close links between the pharmaceutical industry and the cancer establishment enables an inadequate therapy like chemotherapy to become promoted and established as standard care.”

In a 1995 interview Dr. Moss related that chemotherapy was effective in only 2 to 4 % of all malignancies (Hodgkin ’s disease, Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, childhood leukemia, testicular cancer and Choriocarcinoma.)

The package inserts for chemotherapy drugs admit that taking a course of chemotherapy drugs can increase your risk of subsequently developing a new cancer by about 10%.. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) warns that the powerful drugs used in chemotherapy can cause cancer in employees who handle them (nurses, pharmacists, cleaning personnel). If continued too long these drugs are fatal. The damage to white blood cells, killer lymphocyte and red blood cell production makes the patient vulnerable to overwhelming (bacterial and fungal) infections which are the cause of death in many patients on chemotherapy and radiation. It never made sense to me why administering toxic substances that cause major side effects could possibly heal a serious illness like a malignancy.
    Dr. William Campbell Douglass II, MD “To understand the utter hypocrisy of chemotherapy, consider the following: The McGill Cancer Center in Canada, one of the largest and most prestigious cancer treatment centers in the world, did a study of oncologists to determine how they would respond to a diagnosis of cancer. On the confidential questionnaire, 58 out of 64 doctors said that all chemotherapy programs were unacceptable to them and their family.
    In 33 years of conventional medical practice I referred all patients with malignancies to oncologists. The only survivor was a Chinese man with a low grade lung cancer. He responded every five years or so to a few doses of radiation.

In my opinion one of the most important verses in the Bible is Proverbs 14:12 There is way that seems right unto man but its end is the way of death. Drug company owners and executives, politicians, world leaders and media executives have unbelievable wealth and power in this world. However, they face a tortured eternity following death. This seems to be a very unwise tradeoff.

Anyone reading this article has my permission to copy or publish this information. Hopefully, some individuals will be made aware that there are safe effective alternatives to chemotherapy and radiation in the treatment of malignancies.

© 2011 Dr. James Howenstine - All Rights Reserved

Dr. James A. Howenstine is a board certified specialist in internal medicine. The Second Edition of his book A Physicians Guide To Natural Health Products That Work is available.

Dr. Howenstine can be reached by phoning 001-506-2262-7504. E-Mail: dr.jimhow@gmail.com

http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james191.htm
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Survival Shop Reports Jump In Sales To People Preparing For Possible Collapse

Kevin Killeen
    November 23, 2011 4:00 AM
    446 comments

Filed under Consumer, Local News, Syndicated Local
    Related tags collapse of society, meals ready to eat, suburban survivalists, survival food

WEBSTER GROVES, MO (KMOX) - A chain of three stores that sells survival food and gear reports a jump in sales to people who are getting prepared for the “possible collapse” of society.

“We had to order fifty cases of the meals ready to eat to keep up with the demand in the past three months,” said manager Steve Dorsey at Uncle Sam’s Safari Outfitters Inc. in Webster Groves. “That’s not normal. Usually we sell 20 to 30 cases in a whole year.”
    Dorsey says business has been brisk since the spring uprisings in the middle east, as customers share concerns about political uprisings, the world economy and the future of the United States.

“I’ve had people in here that are very wealthy and they’ve spent thousands of dollars just on backpacks that they fill with survival gear, one for each person of their family,” Dorsey said, “And something where they can just grab a bag and get out of Dodge.”

Dorsey says some customers talk of stocking up on freeze-dried meals for the home, while others confide they are stashing supplies at a remote location away from the city where they would go in an emergency.

Steve Dorsey looks over survival supplies at Uncle Sam's Safari Outfitters

“There are people that have property and they’ve set up different things they’re building to protect themselves like towers they can stand up and watch,” Dorsey said, “There’s a lot of people I’m dealing with who buy all kinds of stuff because they have like twenty or thirty people going in on this together and they’re all going to go to this one spot if something like this happens.”

Uncle Sam’s Safari Outfitters in Webster does not sell guns, but Dorsey also reports many customers who do not own a gun are asking where they could go to buy one.

“I think people are scared. They don’t know where this country is going. They think we’re on a downward spiral with just dramatic,crazy spending. People just don’t know what’s going to happen,” Dorsey said.

Outside Uncle Sam’s, it appears civilization is intact. A red, white and blue Pepsi truck pulls up to supply beverages for a nearby grocery store. Motorists are having their cars washed at the General Grant car wash across the street. And the brass pendulums are swinging back and forth in the clocks on the wall at Helen’s Clock Repair.

Dorsey himself admits that he does not have a personal supply of meals ready to eat stashed in his basement. “We live just two minutes from the store,” he said, “If something happens, I can drive right over here.”

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/11/...ible-collapse/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Added to our drinking water: A chemical 'more toxic than lead'?

by Joe Conger / KENS 5
    Posted on November 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    Updated Friday, Nov 25 at 9:52 AM

Video at the link

http://news.yahoo.com/video/sananton...-27371189.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Bttt
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 12-24-2011 at 10:28 AM.