Page 232 of 830 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332732 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 8292
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Continued Below
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Emergency Survival Supplies To Buy Used

October 8, 2012 by Peggy Layton

PHOTOS.COM

There are all kinds of places to get survival items such as Goodwill Industries, Deseret Industries, thrift shops, estate sales, yard sales, garage sales, fundraisers, pawn shops, flea markets, moving sales and Internet sites such as Craigslist, Half.com, eBay and Amazon.

Every Saturday during the good-weather months, I sneak off in the mornings to see what I can find at the local yard sales. I am always on the lookout for things like camping equipment, sleeping bags, wool blankets, backpacks and medical supplies.

I am also stockpiling emergency supplies, canning supplies, medical supplies, lighting, garden tools, hand tools, fishing equipment, warm winter clothing, bedding, fuel, guns and ammo. Whenever I find a bargain, I add it to my stockpile.

You can find myriad useful survival items at garage sales and thrift stores. I love garage sales, and I always find good stuff — like the time I found a Vitamix for $25 and a Champion Juicer for $50. My last great find was 10 oil lamps still in the package for $3 each; I bought them all.

The following categories include a list of items that can be found secondhand and will save you money.

Emergency food storage and survival books.

People sell books cheap. Look for cookbooks that have recipes for using dehydrated foods, canning, cooking with a Dutch oven, and making simple pioneer and outdoor-cooked meals. The recipes should include simple ingredients that almost everyone would have in their pantry. Half.com, eBay and Amazon all have many books to choose from that would be a great resource for emergency and survival. I have written several books on the subject, check them out at Home.

Camping, hiking and fishing equipment.

Be on the lookout for camping items such as backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, heavy-duty cord, tuck tape, a propane camp stove, charcoal grills with charcoal, foam bed rolls, cots to sleep on, coolers and kitchen equipment such as Dutch ovens, cast-iron pots and pans, military mess kits, good knives, utensils, and a hand-operated can opener. I look for 5-gallon buckets because they come in handy for all kinds of situations. Portable toilets are nice to have, too. Duct tape serves many purposes and should be in every stockpile of emergency supplies. Look for fishing equipment such as: tackle boxes, fishing poles, reels, lures, flies, nets, an ice cutting auger, ice fishing tent, chairs and equipment. And a good sharp knife is also a great find.

Canning equipment and jars.

My latest find was two water bath canners for $10 each. One was a smaller canner for pints and the larger one for quarts. Other canning items include jar lifters, funnels, tomato juice extractors, juice cookers and big pots.

I usually pick up canning jars at garage sales for 25 cents each or less.

Canning jars come in half-pint, pint, quart and half-gallon sizes. Look for jar rings to go on the canning jars to hold the lids on tight.

Emergency radios.

Wind-up emergency radios, battery-operated radios with batteries, ham radios and scanners will help tremendously in an emergency. A radio or scanner is your link to the outside world. What is happening in any emergency can be heard on these types of radios. Look at pawn shops for this type of equipment.

Garden and hand tools.

I have a hand cultivator for my garden. I got it secondhand. It is at least 50 years old and is still in good working condition.

Look for garden tools like rakes, shovels, manual lawn mowers, loppers, hoes, pitchforks, crowbars and wood-splitting tools like sledge hammers, axes, hatchets, wedges, etc.

Hand tools you can look for include hammers, manual screwdrivers and any other tool that would be nice to have in a survival situation. If you can find a chain saw, get it along with the oil and fuel to run it. Also, look for a gas-driven generator along with gasoline storage containers.

Guns and ammo.

Most pawn shops carry guns and ammo at a reasonable price. People get down and out and need quick cash, so they pawn their guns. You can get hunting rifles as well as handguns this way. Look for gun cases, gun-cleaning kits, clay targets and decoys. Other hunting items to look for include crossbows, arrows and insulated camouflage clothing.

Kitchen equipment

I look for food dehydrators, bread makers and wheat grinders because sometimes people are getting rid of things they haven’t used for a while. These items are very valuable and can be found at bargain prices. There are solar food dehydrators as well as hand wheat grinders. My bread maker has an attachment for a hand crank so if the power goes out I can still make bread. Many other kitchen items can be found secondhand.

Lighting and fire-making equipment.

Look for battery-powered flashlights, solar-powered flashlights, lanterns, spotlights, oil lanterns and candles. Don’t forget the batteries, matches, butane igniters and lighters. Be sure to get the fuel for the lanterns, wicks and mantles. Flint and steel can be found in my purse at all times.

Medical kits.

I am always on the lookout for medical supplies. I found a complete suture kit at a yard sale once. This summer I picked up medical-kit bags that were empty but brand new. I will fill them myself and keep one in my car, home and business. Items to look for are new boxes of bandages, butterfly strips, sterile gauze, first-aid tape, surgical scissors, unopened boxes of Depends, waterproof sterile bed pads, walkers, wheelchairs, crutches and medical scooters. I have even seen unopened first-aid medical kits for sale. If it is an estate sale and the person was being attended by an in home nursing program, there will most likely be medical supplies at the sale. Just ask for what you want, and they might have it.

I keep ION (stabilized oxygen) in my medical kit at all times and in my purse.

It kills bacteria on contact and treats 110 gallons of water per bottle.

Warm clothing, winter boots and warm blankets. I look for warm winter gloves, socks, scarves, jackets and coats of all sizes. I get larger-sized items so if the grandkids grow, they can still wear the items. I store winter boots for everyone in the family as well as good shoes to walk or hike in. Just in case we had to walk a long way, I make sure they are comfortable and heavy duty.

I look for wool blankets because they are so warm. You can use them inside a sleeping blanket or on top. They are getting hard to find, so you might have to ask whether any are for sale.

These ideas came from the book Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook by Peggy Layton. Check it out at www.peggylayton.com.

–Peggy Layton

Emergency Survival Supplies To Buy Used : Personal Liberty Digest™
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-09-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Indoor Tanning Linked To Multiple Types Of Skin Cancer

October 8, 2012 by Bryan Nash

It is well-known that tanning beds have been linked to melanoma, the deadliest type of skin cancer. But now, a new study finds that indoor tanning can also lead to other types of skin cancers.

Each year, tanning beds are responsible for more than 170,000 cases of basal and squamous cell skin cancer, according to researchers. When the team analyzed more than 9,000 cases of non-melanoma skin cancer, they found that tanning beds were associated with a 67 percent higher risk of squamous cell carcinoma and a 29 percent higher risk of basal cell carcinoma.

“Not only do tanning beds cause melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer, but our study shows they also contribute to the most common cancer, basal and squamous cell skin cancer,” said lead researcher Dr. Eleni Linos, assistant professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco.

Indoor Tanning Linked To Multiple Types Of Skin Cancer : Personal Liberty Digest™

A Cup Of Tea To Battle Terrorism

October 10, 2012 by Sam Rolley

PHOTOS.COM

New research indicates that a powerful weapon in the fight against bioterrorism could be a simple cup of tea.

The favorite English beverage has shown in studies the ability to kill certain deadly microorganisms and deactivate toxins.

According to Dr. Simon Richardson, senior lecturer in Biopharmaceutical Sciences at the British University of Greenwich’s School of Science, and his team of researchers, a principal component of black tea can neutralize ricin, a highly toxic substance that has been used in a number of attempted bioterror attacks.

Ricin is a waste byproduct of the extraction of oil from castor beans.

“One cup of char [British slang for tea] won’t cure you if you have been poisoned, but compounds extracted from tea could, with further research, provide an antidote to poisoning following a terrorist attack,” said Richardson. “I’ve been working on neutralizing ricin poisoning for about six years as a by-product of my work in drug delivery…The next stage, as well as securing more funding, is seeing if other components of tea have a greater effect.”

There is currently no treatment for ricin poisoning. A number of failed terror attempts in the United States and abroad have involved the bioterrorism chemical in recent years.

In 1978, Georgi Markov, a Bulgarian journalist and activist living in London, was famously killed by a man with an umbrella rigged to inject a poison ricin pellet under Markov’s skin.

If refined into a terrorist or warfare agent, ricin could be used to expose people through the air, food or water.

A Cup Of Tea To Battle Terrorism : Personal Liberty Digest™

*CAUSE INFLAMMATION
    Processed foods , Organ meats Hydrogenated oil (and any products made with it), Fried foods Processed meats, Fast food (meat, dairy, eggs)

High fructose corn syrup and soft drinks Most vegetable oils (safflower, sunflower, corn, peanut and soy)Common allergens (casein and gluten)

*ELIMINATE INFLAMMATION
    Olive oil ,Omega-3 foods (walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds)Avocados, Nuts, Tart cherries,Onions and garlic, Pineapple, Spinach & leafy greens, Turmeric and ginger , Orange-colored vegetables and fruits