Page 344 of 845 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394444844 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 8443
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Homestead Survival

Sparkling Soda – Multiple Layered Juice Ice Cubes

http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/spar.../#.Uagst1fm9A4

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The LAST Deal In Firearms- The Mosin Nagant (Great Video)

Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:16

(Before It's News) Inexpensive, reliable, accurate, and fun are some terms that can be used to describe the Mosin Nagant m91/30. It is currently the last great deal in military surplus firearms, but buying a rifle with a 125 year old design is not without it’s drawbacks. This Tin Hat Ranch video explains what makes it fun, what it doesn’t do well, what to expect, and where to buy it.

(Also back by popular demand is more “Bunker Cam”)

http://beforeitsnews.com/survival/20...t-2475578.html

A Catalyst For Survival?

June 3, 2013 by Joe Marshall

UPI FILE
    Many Hurricane Rita evacuees ran out of gas along packed interstates.

In September 2005, my father was in a real estate agents office in Houston. It was a breathtakingly humid and hot day, but he was down to the last few signatures to finalize the loan on a new house.
    That was when the warnings started to blast over the radio broadcasts. As he reached the final page, he laid down the pen, politely smiled at the agent and told her that he would be back, if the house was still standing. He gathered what few items he had available: a 3-gallon water jug, a few candy bars and other snacks. Twenty minutes later, he had my stepmother and all three of our Labrador retrievers loaded between both cars, and they set out on the highway. However, it was already too late.
    The States surrounding the Gulf were instantly in a panic. Hurricane Katrina was still fresh in their memories, and no one wanted to be anywhere near the coastline when Rita came ashore. The normally pleasant drive to my grandparents’ house just about an hour north of Houston spiraled into an 18-hour stint in bumper-to-bumper hell.
    The stretch of U.S. 59 that rarely had more than a few cars anywhere within eyesight was littered with broken-down vehicles, and my stepmother’s car quickly became one of them. After several hours stalled in the now blistering heat, the old Buick’s radiator gave out. This forced my father and stepmother to pile everything they could from her car into my dad’s pickup. It was then that the real scares began — not from the hurricane, but from the confused and ill-prepared people who were stranded along the highway. While my father was moving items from the broken down car to his pickup, someone decided to break the back window of the Buick to steal a half-empty water bottle.
    This was mere hours after the evacuation had been issued. Luckily, my father was able to siphon enough gas from the Buick to keep his F150 running just long enough to make it to Nana’s house. Unfortunately, the situation became even worse from there. The hurricane did not make landfall in Houston like it was predicted. Instead, it hit the coast and sheered quickly to the northeast, headed directly toward where my father had evacuated to: my grandparents’ home. Less than an hour after they arrived, my father had Nana and Papa in the storm cellar; he also ran to all of the neighboring homes and offered them shelter.
    In all, 17 people were in a storm cellar that was built for 10. As the storm finally hit, my father made a final dash to his truck and he learned firsthand how powerful the storm was. As he reached the truck to grab the only portable radio that he had, and what would soon become the only means of outside communication for days, he was suddenly hit by a gust of wind that took him off of his feet and slammed him into the side of the house. He was able to shake it off and make it back to the storm cellar as the outer wall of the hurricane closed in on them.
    Luckily, and due in no small part to the devastation from Hurricane Katrina, my father had the foresight to have a storm shelter installed in between property he owned and my Nana’s home. He had also had the shelter stocked with a pallet of MREs and about 300 gallons of water. However, he did not foresee that the hurricane would score a direct hit on the small town of Zavalla. There was no way for him to know that the town would be left to squander without power for seven days.
    They went seven days without running water, air conditioning or heating. Luckily, it was only four days before cellphone signals were re-established. I had four days of no contact with my closest family.
    I had my bags packed and stuffed in my car, ready to get to them, when I finally got a phone call from my cousin. The news wasn’t good.
    She told me that coming down wouldn’t do much good. There was only one main road into town, and it was closed due to flooding and debris. She had tried to go down herself only to be turned back 14 miles from my grandmother’s house. We were stuck, waiting for the city to clear the roads.
    Luckily for them, my dad was prepared at his final destination; he knew how important it was to make sure that our family would be safe, no matter what.
    However, I can’t help but wonder how all of those folks that were not able to get off the highway in time were able to cope. Only hours into the confusion and with still hours to go before the storm hit, they had already began to steal and commit violent acts for something as small as a half-empty bottle of water.
    My dad was lucky that time; but if there is one thing you can count on, it’s that luck will always run out eventually.
    It was this experience that spurred me into action and made me create a plan and become aware of all possible exits and know when to be long gone before panic takes hold. And if being long gone weren’t an option, I would have everything I needed to hunker down, keep my head low and survive until things smoothed over. I would not be left on the side of the road; I would make sure that I got myself and my family out before the gridlock.
    So if there is anything I could leave you with, it’s this: Don’t rely on luck.
    Practice your skills; never do something the first time when you absolutely need it to save your life. Stay alert to what is going on around you. Above all else, keep calm. You will do more harm than good when acting on instinct over logic.
    This was my catalyst, the reason I chose to become prepared. What is yours?
    –Joe Marshall
    http://personalliberty.com/2013/06/0...-for-survival/

Filed Under: On Your Own, Survival and Self-sufficiency

Tornadoes Wreak Havoc: How To Prepare Yourself For One

May 27, 2013 by Peggy Layton

UPI

No one is exempt from disasters like the tornado that hit the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, Okla., last week. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost their loved ones and those who lost their homes, personal belongings and businesses to the storm, which had winds of more than 200 miles per hour and which was 1.3 miles wide as it moved through the town. Many people lost their lives, and hundreds of people were injured.
    Make A Plan

You must always have a plan for any emergency situation. Write down all the different scenarios that could possible happen to you in an emergency. Plan out the supplies you may need, purchase them and store them so they will be safe and waterproof. A plastic sealed bag will keep your supplies waterproof. Below ground is the best place to store your emergency supplies, if you have a basement or a storm shelter of some kind.
    Implement your plan and practice your skills. Become certified in first aid. Become a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) member. You really need some training in search and rescue so you don’t endanger yourself while helping others.
    Prepare A Medical Kit

It is important to have an up-to-date medical kit with everything you can possibly anticipate needing to help others with wounds and trauma. In a disaster first responders are needed everywhere. Your skills will be very valuable in helping bandage wounds and calm down people in an emergency.
    Emergency medical teams can take hours to respond to minor injuries, so plan on helping out with your own supplies. I suggest you store enough medical supplies for your own family as well as several other people.
    You can purchase a pre-made medical kit, or create one of your own by going through your home and collecting the following items and putting them in a backpack, medical bag or suitcase:

• A tourniquet.
    • Pressure bandages.
    • Assorted sterile gauze.
    • First aid tape.
    • Sports tape.
    • Antiseptic.
    • Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment.
    • Hydrogen peroxide.
    • Rubbing alcohol.
    • Instant cold and hot packs.
    • All sizes of bandages, including triangular, butterfly and ACE bandages.
    • Scissors.
    • Tweezers.
    • Thermometer.
    • Splints for broken fingers.
    • Cotton balls.
    • Cotton swabs.
    • Wet wipes.
    • Washcloths.
    • Towels.
    • Water.
    • Lightweight blankets.
    • Pain reliever such as Ibuprofen, acetaminophen or aspirin.

Your medical kit should be loaded with everything you could even anticipate needing in an emergency. I keep one medical kit in my home, one in my car and one at my business where they are protected and I can get to them easily.
    Along with the medical kit, you will need a clean change of clothing, shoes, warm socks, a blanket, gloves, a hat and a jacket or coat.
    ION (Stabilized Oxygen)

I use ION (stabilized oxygen) for any kind of injury where the wound needs to be clean and free of bacteria. ION will kill bacteria on contact and can be used to clean the wound. It can be used on scrapes, puncture wounds, burns and infections; and it can be taken internally to kill bacteria in the body from colds, flu or infections.
    Clean Potable Water

Clean water to drink is more important than food. ION treats water that has any kind of bacteria in it. If you are using dirty water, strain it through a dishtowel, T-shirt or cheesecloth to get the dirt and impurities out. Boil the water and then mix 20 drops of ION in each glass of water before drinking. ION kills many bacteria immediately externally and internally. ION is non-toxic and won’t hurt you in any way. It oxygenates the blood and helps the body fight its own battle against bacteria.
    Redmond Clay (First Aid)

I keep a product called Redmond Clay First Aid in my medical kit and even in my purse. Redmond Clay First Aid is a premixed clay that takes the pain and inflammation out of any injury immediately. It looks like mud. You squeeze it onto the injury and cover it with gauze and tape. It works extremely well for bruises, broken bones, injuries and for burns of any kind, including sunburn. But if it’s a severe injury, you should seek medical help as soon as possible. Redmond Clay also comes in bulk, which can be mixed with water and used as a compress to pull inflammation, toxins and painout of the body. I mix the clay like mud, put it on the injury, place plastic wrap around the injury so the clay does not dry out and leave it for 24 hours. It is an amazing product that can be mixed in water and you can drink it to pull toxins out of the body.
    Prepare To Save Your Important Documents

In emergency disaster situations you must be prepared ahead of time for any situation where you may lose everything valuable. It is important to keep important documents and records in a waterproof bag or, if possible, in a waterproof and fireproof safe. This includes important paper documents such as photos, deeds, birth certificates, money, family scrapbooks and any digital records on your computer. It is important to have several copies of your will and other valuable documents. Keep them at another family member’s house in another State or area in case yours are destroyed.
    Have a backup of all digital photos and documents on your computer. I have an external hard drive to back up all my documents. I switch off between two external hard drives, so I have an extra one in a waterproof storage container. Once a month, I back up to the one in storage.
    This will help you to have a record of all your valuables for insurance claims. If your home was demolished and you had to prove what you owned, this would come in really handy and could determine whether you receive reimbursement from your insurance company.
    Insurance

If you live in an area where tornadoes hit, get the right kind of insurance that covers natural disasters, on your home and vehicle. Medical insurance is also very important to have for any kind of emergency situation. Your entire life savings and all you have worked for could be wiped out in a few minutes in an earthquake, tornado, tsunami, snowstorm, etc.
    During A Tornado

People in tornadoes have no time to even grab anything and run. Taking cover is the most important thing to do. Keep all valuables in a waterproof bag and in a place that is waterproof and preferably lower than ground level, such as a basement.
    If you live in an area where you can have a root cellar, bomb shelter or safe room in a basement, you will be protected more than a room above ground.
    If you are above ground, find a closet or a small room such as a bathroom in the middle of the home. Outside walls can collapse around you, and flying debris can hit you.
    The safest place above ground is in the bathtub. It is best to cover yourself with a mattress or something soft like pillows to protect yourself from flying debris. It is safer to stay away from windows.
    Vehicles are not a good place to be in a tornado. Depending on the category of the wind, cars may be lifted up and thrown into buildings and trees. If you have to abandon your vehicle, the safest place for you to be is in a ditch below ground level or try to find a building with a basement or storm shelter.
    Anticipate Utility Shut-Off And Power Failure

Utilities such as electricity, gas and water and everything that is run off them will be affected. The refrigerator, freezer, garage remote, security systems, stove, lights, heat and water will all be affected. If your home is demolished to a point where it is unsafe to stay, you must make decisions about where to go and what to do. A generator can come in handy for temporary solutions, but ultimately you will need to relocate.
    It is good to have an alternate set of keys to your home, car and business stashed somewhere below ground so you can find them easily if the first set are lost.
    It is important to have emergency tools in a waterproof place also. You will need a gas shut-off wrench, a shovel, an axe, a hammer, gloves, a helmet, pliers, screwdrivers and a chain saw with fuel. You may need to help rescue people or animals trapped under debris.
    Emergency Food Storage

As a business owner in the emergency preparedness industry, I keep close watch on these incidents that are happening and I am hopeful that families have prepared themselves for these tragic events. Many of our customers live in areas that have been hit. We hope their emergency food and water supply will sustain them in the aftermath of the tragedy.
    If you call me before May 29, you can get a special price of $500 for a five-month supply of delicious meals ready to just add water and cook. That’s four servings per package and 635 servings total, which works out to be .79 cents per serving. Plus, I will give you a free wholesale membership so you can purchase food later at the wholesale price. The food is highly nutritious, with no GMOs, added MSG or trans fats. It’s compact and lightweight, too, making it easy to store. And it will retain its flavor and nutrition for up to 25 years.
    To order online, go here and click on “sign up.” On page one of the sign up, there is a place for a promo code at the bottom. Use promo code SUCCESS500. This promotion won’t last, so take advantage of it today. Please call me, Peggy Layton, at 435-851-0777 if you have any questions or need assistance with this amazing offer.
    –Peggy Layton
    http://personalliberty.com/2013/05/2...rself-for-one/

Filed Under: On Your Own, Survival and Self-sufficiency