Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A CNET News.com survey shows that just over half of the states have signed up, while some have flatly refused to participate, typically citing costs or sovereignty worries. Privacy is another concern, with a mandatory barcode on Real ID cards lacking encryption or legal prohibitions against misuse, and mandatory linking of states' motor vehicle databases.

http://www.news.com/Real-ID-could-mean- ... ag=nl.e703

Connecticut
    Connecticut has not decided whether to comply with Real ID, reject it completely, or request an extension to keep its options open. "We are still studying the issue. (Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner Robert Ward) remains supportive of the concept, but no firm decisions have been made."
    --Bill Seymour, spokesman for the motor vehicle commissioner.

Now I just checked my license and it has a barcode, I don't remember seeing that before. I have already written against this and guess I will have to keep on writing to reinforce that idea several times.

I think what cracks me up, is that most of these states were very involved in the earlier days of our country in fighting for liberty and freedom. Now they are like sheep to the slaughter..........

What happened to create such downtrodden states? They no longer seem to have it in them to "think" or "react" on their own without fed oversight and approval.

I thought we had at least kept some soverignity within the states, guess I was wrong.

Oh well, better get back to word, and keep on truckin.

I am soooooooo mad. Fuming.

Branded like cattle.......the nerve!

Is this AMERICA? LAND OF THE FREE AND BRAVE?

Looks like a major collapse of liberties, freedoms at home to me, if we let this thing take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Take the mark, become part of the beast, but I will have nothing to do with it. I have studied this bill for 3 years. There is no such thing as a tamper proof id. The Department of Homeland Security has had their computers hacked 844 times in the past two year, most likely more and people expect them to keep all of our data secure. Ti is absolutely insane. A hacker will be able to break into this national database and identity theft will be at an all time high. WAKE UP!

Take the mark, become part of the beast, but I will have nothing to do with it.
    OK, now I can see why you are so adamant about this. You think this has something to do with the bible. That's why you won't give up any ground on this. I wonder if this is also why most other libertarians oppose REAL ID? The religious angle??
    Do not make assumptions Jonathan. That is not the only reason I will not budge on the REAL. I am not a Libertarian and I do not speak for them so do not label me.

I am against having a copy of my birth certificate, a digital photo and all of my personal information into a single database that can be hacked. Read the thread from start to end if you have any questions.

Please do not speak to me about this issue. I have provided my position enough to you and others on this issue.

I will work to ensure this law is defeated if I have to spend every waking moment and every dime of income I have to do it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by RealID
    I am soooooooo mad. Fuming.

Branded like cattle.......the nerve!

Is this AMERICA? LAND OF THE FREE AND BRAVE?

Looks like a major collapse of liberties, freedoms at home to me, if we let this thing take place.
    Yep, L1 Technologies and the like will make lots of $$ from this deal, and Americans will pay for it in so many ways.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I have repeatedly read through these posts and I cannot find any plan that would identify whether a worker is an American citizen rather than an illegal alien. How can we know whether a worker was born in the USA from genuine American parents? How can we document the reality of a person's identity?
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

Banned
    I have repeatedly read through these posts and I cannot find any plan that would identify whether a worker is an American citizen rather than an illegal alien. How can we know whether a worker was born in the USA from genuine American parents? How can we document the reality of a person's identity?

Birth records would be a good place to start!

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN

But aren't birth records a form of ID?
    Should an employer ask for the birth certificate of a prospective employee and also look for documentation of his parents' birth or naturalization? In other words, rather than having a REAL ID Card summarizing all of this information, should an employer have to conduct a laborious search by scratch each time?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN

But aren't birth records a form of ID?
    Should an employer ask for the birth certificate of a prospective employee and also look for documentation of his parents' birth or naturalization? In other words, rather than having a REAL ID Card summarizing all of this information, should an employer have to conduct a laborious search by scratch each time?
    How can we know whether a worker was born in the USA from genuine American parents?
    They will have a valid SS#

But ...

I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here?

As an employer I currently have many options available at my disposable to find the legal or illegal status of a person seeking employment… currently require two types of valid ID and a third documenting one of the first and back Ground checks… Chance are if Just one comes back bad in this state there something rotten in Denmark

It seems to me that a enhanced or REAL ID would just summarze the process you are mentioning.

But don't libertarians also object to Social Security Cards?

DHS official moots Real ID rules for buying cold medicine

DHS official moots Real ID rules for buying cold medicine

Dan Goodin
    The Register
    Wednesday February 6, 2008

A senior US Department of Homeland Security official has floated the idea of requiring citizens to produce federally compliant identification before purchasing some over-the-counter medicines.

"If you have a good ID ... you make it much harder for the meth labs to function in this country," DHS Assistant Secretary for Policy Stewart Baker told an audience last month at the Heritage Foundation. Cold medicines like Sudafed have long been used in the production of methamphetamine. Over the past year or so, pharmacies have been required to track buyers of drugs that contain pseudoephedrine.

His comment came five days after the agency released final rules implementing the REAL ID Act of 2005 that made no mention of such requirements. It mandates the establishment uniform standards and procedures that must be met before state-issued licenses can be accepted as identification for official purposes.

[b]Beyond boarding airplanes and entering federal buildings or nuclear facilities, there are no other official purposes spelled out in the regulations. And that's just what concerns people at the Center for Democracy and Technology. They say Baker's statement underscores "mission creep," in which the scope and purpose of the REAL ID Act gradually expands over time.

"Baker's suggested mission creep pushes the REAL ID program farther down the slippery slope toward a true national ID card," CDT blogger Greg Burnett wrote here. He says requiring people to produce a federally approved ID to buy cold medicine is a good example of the "significant ramifications" attached to the act.

So far, 17 states have formally opposed REAL ID, which takes effect on May 11. Residents of those states will be subject to additional searches and other inconveniences when flying and may be barred from entering federal buildings and nuclear plants.]

Baker's statement belying the official DHS position on REAL ID isn't the first time the agency has made confusing remarks about the legal requirements surrounding identification. According to travel writer Edward Hasbrouck, DHS officials continue to plant the misunderstanding that residents from states which don't comply with REAL ID requirements won't get on planes. They will, Hasbrouck asserts here. In fact, he says, airlines are prevented by law from requiring any kind of ID.

Nonetheless, the DHS website continues to claim a photo ID is needed to pass through security checkpoints. Hasbrouck has his suspicions about the motives for such statements.[/b

"The most obvious explanation is that they want to use the implied (but legally and factually empty) threat of denial of air travel to intimidate states into 'voluntarily' complying with the Real-ID Act and its rules," he writes.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/fe ... 0208ID.htm