Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ron Paul had many good ideas. But Ron Paul is not electable.

Ron Paul's positions on Amnesty pale when compared to what Romney delivered at the last Republican debate. Romney was ready to send recent illegals home altogether. Calderon, the President of Mexico, sighed with relief when Romney bowed out of the Republican primary. Calderon described him as the last of the anti-Amnesty candidates.

On the other hand, these are some of the positions Paul has taken:
    No amnesty, but impractical to round up 12 million illegals. (Sep 2007). Perhaps, but also...........No amnesty, but border fence isn't so important. (Jun 2007) Well, not only is a double fence important, but a heavily armed Southern border and anything else we can through down there at this point is a must. Thanks to our current administration and thier across of Isle colleagues we presently have a state of chaos on our Southern border with our citizens being kidnapped, raped and killed on an almost daily basis.

I want Romney to run as an Independent Conservative candidate and believe he should have no trouble against the likes of McCain, Clinton or Obama, none of which can be trusted. And for those exit-pollers who voted for Mc Cain and said that he was the only one that could be "trusted", perhaps they had better take a closer look at his face and what he says next time he talks.

No McCain

Arguably the best candidate dropped out of the race some time ago. Wouldn't electing Huckabee and denying that manic little martinet McCain the prize he so desperately covets have a beneficial effect? The humiliation and psychological effect of dragging this out for McCain as long as possible, burning up as much of his campaign funds as possible seems almost preferrable to accepting the inevitable. Pragmatically, Huckabee has a better mathematical shot then Ron Paul. Doubtless, Romney would switch his votes to McCain simply to support his reason "the war on terrorism" for bailing out early. Keeping Huckabee hanging in there would only reinforce the view that Republicans, Conservatives and Independents really have no respect for Senator McCain and his suitability as our President. Who knows, as goofy as McCain seems, this may be all it takes to drive him over the edge! The RNC and GOP leaders had more to do with Romney withdrawing than his personal concerns over the war on terrorism. They feared that Romney might be able to tie things up, extend the primaries, debilitate McCains effectiveness and resources to fight against a Democratic opponent, and that either Huckabee or Paul might cut a deal with Romney and overturn their apple cart. All the usual suspects, pro-illegal activists, business and cheap labor interests, the Chamber of Commerce are supporting McCain not for his stance on the war on terror, but rather for his promise to keep providing a "cheaper alternative to hiring American workers". I really don't know how I'll vote at this point. There remain no good reasons for not voting for Ron Paul, although mathematically he can't win, and probably won't act as a broker. However; the thought of sending a significant message to McCain and his cronies by voting for the next strongest candidate, thereby diminishing, perhaps denying him the plurality he seeks is intriguing. If we're going to end up with a liberal in the White House anyway, I say we should vote our conscience and do the best we can to deny this RINO that which he so desperately desires.

The important thing is a responsible leader

Thank you as always William for your clarity and consistent strength.
    I'm a Ron Paul enthusiast. The man seems like pure gold. But Lou Dobbs is also excellent, as is Mitt Romney, as is Pat Buchanon. It's true that Ron Paul is a visionary, and I feel he would genuinly try to heal the country and restore us to our rightful power. But read some of the writings of Pat, listen to Lou, etc. They'e all in the same ball park. The important thing is that we get a grip on things and start having our voice heard.

Of course, with the introduction of a third party, representing the ideas of the above, I sadly doubt that we'll be able to win the election. I don't want to be negative, because that never works, but my concern is that we'll just weaken the conservative-visionary base and let Hillary or Obama in. It's curious how there's such a mass of people in America that want to give their power away to big Mama or big Daddy. Sad, sad.

Re: No McCain

Quote Originally Posted by ncfm
    Arguably the best candidate dropped out of the race some time ago. Wouldn't electing Huckabee and denying that manic little martinet McCain the prize he so desperately covets have a beneficial effect? The humiliation and psychological effect of dragging this out for McCain as long as possible, burning up as much of his campaign funds as possible seems almost preferrable to accepting the inevitable. Pragmatically, Huckabee has a better mathematical shot then Ron Paul. Doubtless, Romney would switch his votes to McCain simply to support his reason "the war on terrorism" for bailing out early. Keeping Huckabee hanging in there would only reinforce the view that Republicans, Conservatives and Independents really have no respect for Senator McCain and his suitability as our President. Who knows, as goofy as McCain seems, this may be all it takes to drive him over the edge! The RNC and GOP leaders had more to do with Romney withdrawing than his personal concerns over the war on terrorism. They feared that Romney might be able to tie things up, extend the primaries, debilitate McCains effectiveness and resources to fight against a Democratic opponent, and that either Huckabee or Paul might cut a deal with Romney and overturn their apple cart. All the usual suspects, pro-illegal activists, business and cheap labor interests, the Chamber of Commerce are supporting McCain not for his stance on the war on terror, but rather for his promise to keep providing a "cheaper alternative to hiring American workers". I really don't know how I'll vote at this point. There remain no good reasons for not voting for Ron Paul, although mathematically he can't win, and probably won't act as a broker. However; the thought of sending a significant message to McCain and his cronies by voting for the next strongest candidate, thereby diminishing, perhaps denying him the plurality he seeks is intriguing. If we're going to end up with a liberal in the White House anyway, I say we should vote our conscience and do the best we can to deny this RINO that which he so desperately desires.
    You are so right NCFM. It would best to send a message to McCain as you have stated. There is no reason that we should not be voting for Huckabee at this time. Huckabee did sign Senator Session's Illegal Immigration Promise after all and if or when he is elected and he starts acting like he is changing his promise, then we can begin our petitions against his actions as we have been doing for so long with the Congress, am I not right about this. Lets give it a shot and take our chances with Huckabee and see if he will keep his promise to us, maybe he truly means his promise. We will never know unless we give him that opportunity.

I liked the, "Axis of Amnesty."
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    I liked the, "Axis of Amnesty."
    depending on what happens with the next few primaries, will probably go vote in the dems primary for hillary. will be the first time for this 57 year old republican.

figure hillary will be easier to beat than obamma......both are loosers for America.

McCain is just barely better than hillary or obamma, but he is also a looser.

Israel may make all of this irrelevant if Israel attacks iran and syria........

Sorry Political mess

I am amost 76 years old and never in my life have felt so helpless in the face of this unprecedented political mess, the immigration problem, and almost anything else you care to mention. I really dislike McCain and as many before have said, I like Fred Thompson, but he came on slowly and promptly fizzled out, so with some serious thought quickly ruled out Huckabee and discounted McCain because I did not think it possible that he would get anyplace. I picked Rommney and the more that I saw the better I liked him. I feel betrayed, double-crossed, and very, very angry!
    I have worked for the Republican party, off and on, since I was in my late 20's and have voted a straight ticket since the first Clinton election.
    Ron Paul is an excellent obstetrician, knows about handling money but there it stops. He comes off as a nut in many of his appearances and he has about as much chance of winning as the man in the moon. Why these people keep on insisting that he is some kind of savior is beyond me. They might as well give it up because no matter how much they protest it is nothing but a bunch of hot air from those who are not thinking rationally. He has been low man on the totem pole in every race but 1 that I' m aware of, and folks you have to get a plurality of votes in order to WIN! So get off it and think of something to help the conservative cause. He is not making it and he won't! I admit I am at the end of my rope and for once in my life can't think of WHAT TO DO! I am truly at a loss. I just want to scream HELP! But DO NOT MENTION Ron Paul! Thank you!

Ron Paul is a good guy. However, he is weak on foreign policy. He obviously does not understand Islam. He is also unelectable. He has a dedicated following as shown by the money he raises. They are not large in number as shown by the votes he gets.

McCain is four more years of Bush. We beat back amnesty with Bush in office and we will beat back amnesty with McCain or a dem in office. We just need to keep the faith and keep fighting. Stay on the back of your elected officials. Work to elect more people that are against illegal immigration. McCain says he will build the fence, or as he calls it "the God damn fence." We will see.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Ughhh, I'm so disappointed with what is happening. McCain? Obama? Clinton? please, they may as well all be on the same ticket. I feel as if on illegal immigration, among many other issues, we are really doomed if a STRONG 3rd party candidate does not run. As we all know, a 3rd party candidate is an uphill battle unless it can really be the right one and even from reading the posts on here, everyone has different choices and opinions.

Even among my friends, whether they be registered dems or reps, they have differing views on the 3 candidates. At dinner last night I had one friend (a rep) saying how hed vote for Hillary, one rep friend say he wanted McCain unless Obama ran then hed vote for Obama, and yet another rep friend who said he wants McCain so he can relive the days of Reagan and feel safe when he takes the train into NYC for work. 3 registered republicans and 3 different votes. I voiced in sayind I could not see voting for ANY of them (im an independent) and was unable to vote in the closed NY primary...not that I could have helped Romney who was my last holdout for fixing any problem.

So, unless someone strong comes along...its clear even among us, we are all over the place on who wed vote for. Probably great news if you are the current 3 running.

I'm at a loss for words beyond that, as I feel this country is slowly drowning in a broken 2 party system.

A third party?

I would vote for Ron Paul, but it's already obvious he doesn't have a chance of winning. I'm a huge fan of Lou Dobbs and would certainly vote for him, but doesn't a third party need to collect delegates in order to win? Didn't Al Gore win the popular vote in Florida, but lose because of not having the delegate count? I'm obviously confused as to how this works. I think all primaries and caucuses should be held on the same day so that everyone has a chance to vote for ALL of the candidates, not just left-overs from other primaries. The media has decided all along who the winners were. I live in Arizona and would NEVER vote for McCain--or Clinton or Obama. McCain keeps saying he will "secure the border." So what. Everyone says that. What about the automatic pathway to citizenship? That's my concern. I liked Romney's proposed handling of illegals already here. They would have to return home, whether or not they were criminals.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast