Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mary Schulken article

"An estimated 380,000 illegal immigrants live in North Carolina. It's true they broke the law to come here. It's true they put pressure on our publicly funded law enforcement, public schools and health care resources.

But they also perform jobs that are vital to our economy – and our communities. Most of those jobs are hard, dirty, repetitive and dangerous. That's why most of us don't want to do them.

Honestly? This change in our demographics is here, whether we want it or not. We need to take a deep breath and stop letting fear lead the way we respond politically and culturally."

So it sounds to me like the (perceived) economic impact is more important than the fact that they are here ILLEGALLY! What part of "illegal" does't Ms Schulken understand?
    If they (illegal aliens) want to come here and work and better themselves (as many of our ancestors (including my own) did) let them do it "legally" (like our ancestors did).
    If Ms. Schulken worked for me and wrote that piece it never would have been published and she probably would have been strongly chastised.
    When are we going to draw the line? Or, are we just going to let the masses overrun us?

[quote] Response to: "This Tide of Meanness Needs to Stop"

Typical of "enlightened" propagandists, Ms. Schulken attempts to paint William Gheen and Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee (ALIPAC) as an anti-immigrant hate group.

The reality is in the name of the organization.... Americans for LEGAL Immigration. This group is focused on following the rule of law and protecting the rights of those who follow the legal prodedure to come to this country as well as those who were born into citizenship.

Illegal immigration has several by-products:

* Increased crime via drug trafficking, human trafficking, and gang activity.
    * A situation which has been called "slavery-lite" where many illegals as essentially endentured to those who transport them here or to those who employ them because they have no way out.
    * Significant drains on our healthcare and education systems due to the overwhelming of our taxpayer supported systems by those who do not share in the burden.

To compare the activists who support enforcement of our laws and respect for our country to William “Bill the Butcherâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Don't now if you want to use it, but it appears this paper is owned by the McClatchy company:

http://www.mcclatchy.com/107/story/404.html

Who's media contact is:

Peter Tira
    Communications Director
    916-321-1941
    ptira@mcclatchy.com

Might want to copy them on your letters so they know what one of their owned papers is publishing.

Officer info incase you want to send a written letter:
    http://www.mcclatchy.com/100/story/331.html

Dear Sir:

As a descendant of original settlers of the Charlotte area and one who loves your State, I was appalled to read Mary Schulken's column calling William Gheen a murderous racist and comparing him to that Daniel Day-Lewis character in "Gangs of New York". My husband, a legal immigrant from the U. K., and I are currently residents of California and have seen what uncontrolled immigration has done to this State. I highly doubt that Mr. Gheen is like this and further, I greatly dislike the face that Ms. Schulken, and by extension, the Observer, would print such calumny. We plan to move to NC in the very near future and hope the climate is more civil than this indicates. Ms. Schulken should really unload her rage, founded on whatever reasons, in a more constructive manner. And I would hope that such opinions are tempered in the future.
    and...

Ms. Schulken,
    You are indeed the race-baiter. As such, your "column" (promo-piece) is typically ..."all conversation; no substantiation"...just another "peon-pimper" doing it for the money. Were you a real "writer", you would not have the typical difficulty with English comprehension.
    What do you not understand in "ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL".
    Your personal opinion does not change that which even you admit, when you say:
    " It's true they broke the law to come here. It's true they put pressure on our publicly funded law enforcement, public schools and health care resources. ".
    Ignoring, ergo, "1 + 1 = 2", you neglect to add, "So it's also true that the illegals deserve nothing here and the American people should not be coerced to pay for that which is not their responsibility".
    Further, you say, "But they also perform jobs that are.....hard, dirty, repetitive and dangerous. That's why most of us don't want to do them".
    Speak for yourself, Ms. soft, lily-white, hands. How wrong you are. You omit, "for slave wages".
    In other words, it isn't the work; it's the UNfair wages. When I was in college, I had a summer job working in construction and to stay in shape for football. The work was hard, physical, demanding, etc....and I loved it. AND, the money was fair for the work..
    Today, college students don't get those jobs, they go to illegals at 1/3 the wage...which you promote.
    Shame on you.
    You also try "The Tokyo Rose Approach" with.... "This change in our demographics is here, whether we want it or not. We need to take a deep breath and stop letting fear lead the way we respond politically and culturally."
    Well, you clearly want it. That's one.
    Take a REALLY DEEP BREATH yourself and accept that 80+% of American voters do not want anything of the kind. Patriots never do; anarchistic, sell-outs like you always follow the money..
    Also, about half of those in our families are Latino; and they are vehemently against what you promote.
    So, look around you, the walls are closing in.
    Fences and walls do work (as in border); or would you want them all removed from your state prisons?
    and...

Shame on you Mary and your paper for practicing the most heinous yellow journalism I have seen in 40 years of teaching media in universities and colleges.

Your dripping liberal agenda and obvious personal animosity for Mr. Gheen blatantly overwhelms your commitment to truth while espousing the "open borders" bastardization of language,i.e.illegal aliens becomes undocumented workers and being against breaking and entering becomes anti-immigration.

Mr.Gheen did not invent the word "invasion" in referring to 12-20 million illegals. It was used in 1998 by one of the most prominent non-partisan scholar/journalist in the country,Samuel T. Francis, himself a legal immigrant and expert on American immigration.

"There is no guarantee that populist activism for immigration reform will be successful, but it is the only means of resisting what is now transparently the invasion - more accurately, in the case of Mexican illegals, the colonization - of our country."

While many times writing articles on the plight of the poor Hispanic illegal for the explicit purpose of eliciting sympathy, you conveniently ignore the basic truth 12-20 million people have broken our laws, 49% possess two or more forged Federal documents,48-61% pay no income tax and 62% receive two or more publicly funded welfare payments. Not once have I seen your paper defend the legal taxpayers of your state who are forced to contribute 350 billion dollars of their hard earned money to people who break into our home and then hand us the bill for their criminality.
    (If I missed those articles, I would be very appreciative if you would point them out)

Simply,Mary, your ranting is a disgrace to your profession not because of any faulty style but for a total lack of substance on the crusade you choose to mount in print.

Be a professional, resign and carry your absurd notions of reality into a partisan arena where basic facts, history and a constitutional definition of sovereignty have no relevance.

" Immigration will be either the joy or the bane of our new country... We are first and foremost a nation of laws and those who would come to our shores must do so according to those laws or be sent back."
    - John Adams
    and...

[quote]Dear Sirs and Madam-

I recently read with disgust the hyperbolic and defamatory contribution Ms. Schulken recently made to your editorial pages.

If Ms. Schulken wants to look for examples of meanness and bigotry, she has to look no farther than her own mirror.

The types of ridiculous claims Ms. Schulken makes against William Gheen are meant to incite anger, spread disinformation and slander his name. By extension, she is painting those of us who share many of Mr. Gheen’s concerns with the same brush, and I, for one, do not appreciate it.

My concerns about our burgeoning illegal alien population have nothing to do with race and everything to do with the rule of law and what is fair to law-abiding Americans. It’s not fair for taxpayers to fund programmes, schools, projects and medical treatment for a population here illegally when these same immigrants don’t demand such treatment from their home country. Likewise, her notion that our economy will collapse if illegal workers are sent home is nonsense; I would think a respectable publication such as the Charlotte Observer can do better than employ writers prone to errors and exaggeration as Ms. Schulken appears to be.

Not only has there never been a study proving the oft repeated narrative that “Americans won’t do these jobsâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    I'd like to see that STUPID WOMAN MARY SCHULKEN fired from her job!

If I were you William, I would sue her and the newspaper for printing such slanderous remarks.
    a. Re: 1st part - Probably a lot of newer folks might not know, or even some of the long-timers may have forgotten... but, we have done that before too!

b. Re: 2nd part - agreed.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:00 AM
    To: 'mschulken@charlotteobserver.com'
    Subject: Just Say No to Illegal Aliens

MARY SCHULKEN

Here in Southern California Illegal Aliens are making a tremendous impact. My wife had to take a job just so as to put our children in private schools. The amounts of Non-English speaking children in our public school system is over 40%. At great financial hardship to us we must pay for our children to get the quality education they need.

In our city of Esco there were over 400 hit and run accidents last year with at least half a dozen fatalities. Our city has resorted to having the police conduct checkpoints on a weekly basis. The city is literally impounding hundreds of vehicles every month, but some how this does not even make a dent in the problem.

Gang violence is high, graffiti is rampant, and most of the illiterate Illegal students fail to even graduate. And remember California is about to go bankrupt, and we as taxpayers are paying for this.

I for one have had enough, and I am not asking for much. Just for the Federal Government to enforce our laws.

At present I am on deployment in the Persian Gulf. We are over here protecting other countries borders, but no one is left at home protecting ours.

VR/

W,
    ALIPAC really needs to sue this woman and the paper. I'll contribute to the fund. Something like this should not be tolerated. Things like this is what encourages hate and violence. ALIPAC has always stood for doing things through Legislation and peaceful rallies.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Here is mine, I sent it directly to the racist and cc'd it to the paper:

This is in response to "This tide of meanness needs to stop"

This article is shows a shocking display of racism that can not be tolerated. I agree, this meanness MUST STOP. Oh I am not referring to the the comments made by William Gheen, I am referring to your insulting references comparing the Irish experience to that of todays illegal immigrants.

First of all, let us make one thing perfectly clear, Illegal immigrants are NOT A RACE. They come from every nation on the earth. They are black, white, yellow and brown and many shades in between. How bigoted of you to group them all together as Hispanics. Either you are ignorant or have prejudices of your own to conclude they are of one race.

Secondly, being the wife of a Legal Irish immigrant, I am angry that you would compare these lawbreakers with the Irish. Not a single Irish man, woman or child entered this country illegally. Many Irishmen volunteered and fought for this country before their boots were even dry from the journey. Many died in this service. Not a single Irishman or woman received even a penny of government help. Most did not speak English, only Irish. Not once did they demand everything be written in their native tongue. I have never heard of a case of a citizen not being able to find employment because they did not speak Irish!

I would also like for you to enlighten me as to when it became illegal or immoral to love your country and your culture? This culture has been a beacon of light for over two centuries, yet you seem to find it repulsive to even insinuate that it has value. In your eyes it seems it is ok to glorify the culture and nation from which you are escaping, but it is horrendous to be positive about the one you fled to. I am not a psychiatrist, but it seems that there should be a name for the condition in which you seem to be suffering from. If it is ok for others to be proud of the land of their births, why do you show contempt when Mr. Gheen has stated his culture is worth saving?

The only thing I can think of is that you madam are a hypocrite and a racist. You admit he tells the truth about the problems, yet you encourage us to sit down and do nothing and let OUR culture die. Our founding fathers would be weeping for you. What you are promoting is ANARCHY. I believe you owe Mr. Gheen an apology. conceding that he is correct, then condemning him for it, shows what little love or respect you have for these United States.

Sincerely,
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Here is mine, I sent it directly to the racist and cc'd it to the paper:

This is in response to "This tide of meanness needs to stop"

This article is shows a shocking display of racism that can not be tolerated. I agree, this meanness MUST STOP. Oh I am not referring to the the comments made by William Gheen, I am referring to your insulting references comparing the Irish experience to that of todays illegal immigrants.

First of all, let us make one thing perfectly clear, Illegal immigrants are NOT A RACE. They come from every nation on the earth. They are black, white, yellow and brown and many shades in between. How bigoted of you to group them all together as Hispanics. Either you are ignorant or have prejudices of your own to conclude they are of one race.

Secondly, being the wife of a Legal Irish immigrant, I am angry that you would compare these lawbreakers with the Irish. Not a single Irish man, woman or child entered this country illegally. Many Irishmen volunteered and fought for this country before their boots were even dry from the journey. Many died in this service. Not a single Irishman or woman received even a penny of government help. Most did not speak English, only Irish. Not once did they demand everything be written in their native tongue. I have never heard of a case of a citizen not being able to find employment because they did not speak Irish!

I would also like for you to enlighten me as to when it became illegal or immoral to love your country and your culture? This culture has been a beacon of light for over two centuries, yet you seem to find it repulsive to even insinuate that it has value. In your eyes it seems it is ok to glorify the culture and nation from which you are escaping, but it is horrendous to be positive about the one you fled to. I am not a psychiatrist, but it seems that there should be a name for the condition in which you seem to be suffering from. If it is ok for others to be proud of the land of their births, why do you show contempt when Mr. Gheen has stated his culture is worth saving?

The only thing I can think of is that you madam are a hypocrite and a racist. You admit he tells the truth about the problems, yet you encourage us to sit down and do nothing and let OUR culture die. Our founding fathers would be weeping for you. What you are promoting is ANARCHY. I believe you owe Mr. Gheen an apology. conceding that he is correct, then condemning him for it, shows what little love or respect you have for these United States.

Sincerely,

Truly excellent Cayla

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    Ms. Schulken,

It's astounding the lengths pro-illegal immigration supporters will go to discredit their adversaries. Comparing Mr. Gheen to a fictional racist, murderous character is unfair at best and slanderous at worst. When you insult Mr. Gheen, you insult all the members of ALIPAC.

I am not a racist, Ms. Schulken. I believe in the rule of law. My son is in prison because he broke the law. I consider the punishment just. We are a nation of laws. And yet, millions of people flaunt the law every day by breaking into our country, stealing identities, social security numbers, and harming our citizens. This isn’t racist innuendo, but fact. And yet, groups that insist the laws be enforced are labeled racist.

You mention in your article that illegal aliens do the hard, dirty, work that Americans won't do. When my son is released from prison, he will have to do one of those “dirty jobsâ€

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast