Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chicago Trump protesters hope to disrupt Friday appearance

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chicago Trump protesters hope to disrupt Friday appearance

Chicago Trump protesters hope to disrupt Friday appearance

Posted on March 9, 2016
    By John Dempsey, WLS-AM News

(CHICAGO) A group of University of Illinois Chicago students is organizing a massive protest on Friday to try and disrupt Republican Presidential Candidate Donald Trump’s rally at the UIC Pavilion.

Organizer Asha Binbek told “The Jonathan Brandmeier Show” on WLS, that Trump’s message is not welcome, saying “Well honestly, what he’s saying has no place on our campus.”

Binbek says thousands of protesters are expected and many will try to obtain free tickets to Trump’s rally so they can shout him down. “The tickets are free so what we wanted to do was encourage as many people as we could to fill up those seats.”

The taxpayer-run University says Trump paid to rent out the Pavilion for the Friday night rally. Because of that, the UIC Chancellor says the school has no grounds to deny Trump use of the arena.

Binbek, who supports Democrat Bernie Sanders for President, says her group wants to send a message to the GOP front runner.

“Just to disrupt him as much as we can. We want to make sure that what he’s saying, nobody is condoning it at our school. Our University prides itself on how diverse we are, so I think that it’s very important, we think that it’s very important for Trump to know that he is not welcome here.”

At past rallies, Trump’s security guards have forcibly removed protesters who tried to disrupt him from speaking.
    @ 2016 WLS-AM News

http://www.wlsam.com/2016/03/09/chic...ay-appearance/

The organizer. Would you hire her to work for your company?

Her Campus: Her Story Asha Binbek

ByTikia Travis
    PostedMar 18 2015-08:00am
    Name: Asha Jahan Binbek
    Year: Junior
    Nationality: African American
    Major: Communications / Minor: Marketing and English

HC: How has your experience at UIC been thus far?

AB: My experience has been amazing! I've met so many great people, and I've learned so many things from my professors and peers.
    HC: Being a part of the UIC community, what can you say you enjoy the most?

AB: I think I enjoy getting involved with other organizations! I am a member of the Muslim Student Association, I was in the Undergraduate Student Government I'm a tour guide, and I have coordinated events with Student Activities Board and Women's Leadership and Resource Center. Getting involved is definitely the best because you meet so many great people.

HC: What has been a memorable experience in your life?

AB: My most memorable experience was actually this past October. I flew to California to film an episode of Guys Grocery Games with two of my best friends: my mom and my older sister, Miriam. I was on TV and it was an amazing once in a lifetime experience!
    HC: Most memorable experience on campus?

AB: My most memorable experience was being in USG. It’s because of my involvement that I realized I had a passion for marketing and communications.

HC: How has your culture impacted your adult life?

AB:
    Being Muslim and African American I have stared injustices in the face, but it is because I am who I am that I have met all the people I have met and have the desire to make a difference. It wasn't until I came to UIC that I realized that.

HC: What is your favorite thing to do outside of school?

AB: I love reading and writing and watching K-Drama (Korean drama) in my past time. Other than that I like to volunteer and get involved my community. It is an important part of who I am.

HC: What are your goals after college?

AB: After college, I hope to go to graduate school with a focus on Advertising, Marketing and Media Communications. If I don't move to California, I will stay in Chicago and work in Advertising.

HC: Tell us something you would recommend to other girls on campus?

AB: BE YOURSELF! Don't try to be someone you aren't, or something someone else wants to you be. Take it from a girl who spent two years of her college career trying be something she isn't; it's not worth it. No one is going to go to school for you, go to work for you, or be you, so wouldn't it make sense to make your life one that you are proud of?

HC: Thank you for sitting down with me for this interview! It was so great getting to know you!

AB: No, thank you! I truly appreciate the opportunity to be a part of something like this!

http://www.hercampus.com/school/uic/...ry-asha-binbek

Social media has given voices to monster brats - hope the real world smacks them in the face soon.

Last edited by artist; 03-12-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Their "after brain surgery" head gear makes them unable to think properly.