Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage
    Sarum,

I have been physcially shoved by a Hispanic man with his shopping cart in a supermarket two weeks ago and at least three times a Hispanic woman has walked past me close enough to brush me physcially but never said any form of "excuse me." I don't believe that many people could be clumsy...I believe it was a subtle form of assault.
    I am also a white female and I too have witnessed this treatment in the grocery store here in the Phoenix area. They will do whatever you let them get away with. The first thing I will do when I see someone getting too close to me is give them a look like I am not playing and they better back the h**l off. Most of the time they back off at this point, but if the look does not work I will flat out tell them they are too close. I don't have much of a choice in this matter, I am a 110 lb female and I usually have my six year old daughter with me. Even though I am small I am pretty much like a mama bear when it comes to my daughter and I will not tolerate that crap.

When I go to the store with my husband, they do not pull that crap at all. Apparently they are cowards and want to push small women around but not men.

I lived most of my life in the suburbs of Detroit and never in my life did I witness this behavior while in public until I moved here. While I have lived here I had to buy pepper spray and put it on my key chain.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Banned
    They dare not shove me aside or push into me on purpose. I've been known to shove far harder back. Last 3 that have done it to me where I live right now 2 of them fell to the floor, other had there bill they were trying to pay shreded in their face. Course I do live in the Philippines for the time being until my wifes spousal visa is finished and noone dares really challenge me as I tend to be quite a bit larger. But still for those I "accidentally" shove back who fall I smile and apologize while laughing. Funny to watch I've been told hehe

Perhaps if people can't get beyond race to get what we are saying, if they have a boy child they might be able to get it. There is an extreme lack of media presenting boy children favorably. All the explorers and normal kids doing extraordinary things are always female. If a boy is presented there is usually a loser quality about him - so it's great to show losers overcoming - but a normal boy does not identify with a loser. The parent who wishes to present reading material and movies to their boy about normal boys having an adventure is nigh impossible. So does the government still pay incentives to show females so favorably at the expense or our boys? Same thing imho. The effort has gone too far and is having a warp effect on generations which is probably the intent. So over the years my boy has often had to do his book reports on books where the main character is female because at least the story was acceptable. Now if in his mind he changes the character to male I do not know. Meanwhile this has not translated into more respect for females in the least. Our popular culture probably makes feministas of the 60's and 70's wail. So it is time to just stop it. It's not working.
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

I guess I have gotten beyond the race issue in public. It is called age and attitude. I have noticed a difference in how the Hispanic families treat me lately. I don't know whether to feel insulted or what. It is normal for me to smile at kids when they are being good and to give them the look (per my kids) when they are being bad. I have noticed lately the kids and their parents responding to my actions. I keep hearing their parents saying Si Bonita Nana and smiling and trying to control their kids.

They are no respecters of age or medical condition. One good push and fall and you will be over being "over race."

They might be all about family values but it is for their own family only. Remember they assaulted me when I was very pregnant. My husband was there but off looking at other product so he came quickly but there is possibility that they assaulted me because they were offended that a fine Mexican man such as my husband married outside his race - that abomination concept that we in the post-racial America ditched decades ago but they want to bring it back.

Can anybody hear me yet?

Sarum I do know what you are talking about. This has been the big secret that American white woman have had to endure as long as I can remember. I have seen it over and over and it isn't restricted to Hispanics. Society likes to blame racism on just the white community but you talk to black woman or Hispanic woman and you will find that they are the biggest and most violent against interracial relationships.

To this day I have heard young girls in highschool complain about being attacked by Mexican girls just for talking to a Mexican boy.

I figure the change in attitude with me is because I am getting too old to be a threat.

Everyone,

I do agree that we should all call ourselves "Americans" first and foremost without hyphenating.

As far as black culture goes, because they were first introduced to the U.S. by force, enslaved, treated like second class citizens, denied the American Dream and forced to live outside mainstream America for a long, long time-they formed an alternate culture-but it's still American culture due to it existing nowhere else in the world but the U.S. I feel it would be cruel to make them act identical to the typical "anglo" American. HOWEVER I do believe that we need to help them discard antisocial, self-depreciating behaviors that are both a danger and a disservice to themselves and to broad American society around them. I understand their having BET due to the fact that they are a cultural minority in the U.S. and it's been a way of community for them, just like occasionally you find a "Polish American club" or whatnot. It would be my personal preference that there would be no major cultural differences in the U.S. but that's the way it is. I do feel that they have contributed some great food and musical genres to our culture and as a group they wave our flag, share our American values and speak our language (though I wish they would speak it perfectly all the time, they at least speak English!).

Sarum,

I am sorry of all the experiences you were made to go through....

I feel that Native Americans have not been included in "diversity" because they are independence-minded and many had democratic governments within their individual nations before Europeans came and changed everything. It's funny how many Hispanics cry "indigenous" yet they don't seem to want to help Natives preserve their individual cultures and languages (let alone assimilate to the Natives), or even care much about preserving the environment like most Natives do-they only want to force the 2.5 million Natives who are left in the U.S. to assimilate to the Hispanic culture and be Spanish-speaking. Natives are the most oppressed ethnic group in the U.S.-I'm sorry to say that whites in high places still oppress them by not honoring the treaties made previously and other atrocities (see my most recent post under my "Scary Stuff About the latinization of America" post for more details).

I understand that being tormented on a constant, day by day basis can have an affect on our mental health. I am technically half Hispanic (my relatives are mostly Spaniard with traces of Amerindian-we don't have the typical appearance of being Amerindian with Afro accents) and half "anglo". Only my Hispanic surname gives away my identity and I appear all "anglo" to the undiscerned eye. I did not even realize that I was mixed race at first and was never told, until I realized my aunt had a Native American eyeshape and so did her Puerto Rican dad (my paternal grandfather) and my grandmother has a distinct Semitic look to her, as is typical of some Spaniards-she admitted to being part Arab and I found out we most likely have Jewish roots too due to the Sephardic connections to her maiden name and her mother's maiden name (though she is Roman Catholic). In my 80% Hispanic school I was asked why I don't speak Spanish and why I didn't consider myself Hispanic only-and why I wasn't loyal to Spain and Puerto Rico (where my Hispanic ancestors came from). When I told them my folks divorced and that I was raised by the "anglo" side of the family, and considered myself an American since this was where I was born and where I live, they got mad and "turned" on me. Every day I would get dirty looks from people even people old enough to be my parents and grandparents...pathetic.

I appreciate cutural diversity more than most I think. And I sure do wish some people would be more sharing with their recipes! LOL! But I can dispense with the attitudes and wish they all would. I have no problem with people trying to maintain their cultural identity as distinct within the United States - but they need to drop all the negativity about it.

I'm in danger of being so open-minded that my brains will fall out. We cannot improve ourselves without dialogue and that is not happening for the most part. We had more curiosity, acceptance and tolerance of diversity before we started "celebrating" it and codifying it into our laws and media.

Sarum,

I agree with you that we had more agreement about "diversity" before we celebrated it officially! And thanks for the compliment on the name "sacredrage"-thought of it as a good name for a metal band that doesn't exist LOL

I forgot to say that I agree that Christianity (if followed by the true Biblical example!!) the most, or at least one of the most tolerant religions in the world.

There are things in the Hispanic cultures that need to be "exorcised"....torture of animals as legal entertainment (bullfights, cockfights, dogfights that I know of), mistreatment of children on the streets (homeless or begging), even killing them in their home nations, acting like their sole purpose in life is to have a large amount of children and having a "smothering" type of family (I'm all for close family relationships-the Lord knows America USED to have them as the norm) but when you are never taught "independence" and never leave the house without taking them with you, going anyplace alone or just with a friend-I consider that overboard.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast