Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by xfighter
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla99

Here's the thing. Like any group of immigrants, the first generation usually has the hardest time integrating. It was true with the Irish, the Gernmans, and it's true with Hispanics. I've yet to come across a second generation Hispanic who does not speak English. That's one reason I don't believe any of this crap about how we'll all need to learn to speak Spanish. The future generations usually always integrate as the older generations die out.

The reason we have to press 1 for English is because of the never ending flow of FIRST generation immigrants. If there was a never ending flow of German immigrants people back then would be dealing with the same problem. It's really not that hard to understand people. We need to halt the flow of people over the border for security and infrastructure reasons which are legitimate reasons. But Conservatives always use the wrong reasons and go about it the wrong way, which is why we can never get anything done and will never get anything done. Conservatives need to mellow out and think about the problem rationally.
    I am assuming you do not live in California. The reason I reach that assumption is for many jobs there English is optional but Spanish is a requirement.

What about the Oregon firefighters who were fired or demoted for not speaking Spanish?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR5MjzHngnc

I would say 50 years of mass Irish immigration produced numerous decades of first generation immigrants, yet somehow they all managed to learn our language. In public they all spoke English. I have come across a number of second and even third generation Hispanics who either do not speak English or at least pretend they do not.

When I was in school, the foreign language requirement could be met by taking Spanish, German or French. Today Spanish is the only option and it is mandatory.

Perhaps when you are done mellowing out, you will check into the real facts.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most Irish immigrants speak English? Wasn't the English language taking over as the primary language in Ireland in the 19th century? A better example to use would be Germans and Italians. Many first generation peoples of those countries continue to speak their homeland language. It was their children that were assimilating similar to today's Hispanic 2nd generation population.

And I HIGHLY doubt they do not speak English. If they're going to school here, there's no escaping having to learn English.
    Learning English and using it as one's primary language of usage especially out in public are two different things. I find that many Hispanics even though they know how to speak English refuse to unless they have to. Unike the early immigrants who assimilated and spoke English in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldglory

Here's the thing. Like any group of immigrants, the first generation usually has the hardest time integrating. It was true with the Irish, the Gernmans, and it's true with Hispanics. I've yet to come across a second generation Hispanic who does not speak English. That's one reason I don't believe any of this crap about how we'll all need to learn to speak Spanish. The future generations usually always integrate as the older generations die out.

The reason we have to press 1 for English is because of the never ending flow of FIRST generation immigrants. If there was a never ending flow of German immigrants people back then would be dealing with the same problem. It's really not that hard to understand people. We need to halt the flow of people over the border for security and infrastructure reasons which are legitimate reasons. But Conservatives always use the wrong reasons and go about it the wrong way, which is why we can never get anything done and will never get anything done. Conservatives need to mellow out and think about the problem rationally.
    I am assuming you do not live in California. The reason I reach that assumption is for many jobs there English is optional but Spanish is a requirement.

What about the Oregon firefighters who were fired or demoted for not speaking Spanish?

I would say 50 years of mass Irish immigration produced numerous decades of first generation immigrants, yet somehow they all managed to learn our language. In public they all spoke English. I have come across a number of second and even third generation Hispanics who either do not speak English or at least pretend they do not.

When I was in school, the foreign language requirement could be met by taking Spanish, German or French. Today Spanish is the only option and it is mandatory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't most Irish immigrants speak English? Wasn't the English language taking over as the primary language in Ireland in the 19th century? A better example to use would be Germans and Italians. Many first generation peoples of those countries continue to speak their homeland language. It was their children that were assimilating similar to today's Hispanic 2nd generation population.

And I HIGHLY doubt they do not speak English. If they're going to school here, there's no escaping having to learn English.
    Learning English and using it as one's primary language of usage especially out in public are two different things. I find that many Hispanics even though they know how to speak English refuse to unless they have to. Unike the early immigrants who assimilated and spoke English in public.
    I don't know. Like I said before, if I'm out in public and encounter a Hispanic, I can speak to them in English and they'll respond in English. Why would they speak to me in Spanish when they don't know if I speak it or not. If they're speaking Spanish amongst themselves in public, what's the deal? Italians and Germans spoke their languages amongst themselves in public back then no?

In all fairness, the upper crust, politicians and such did speak English, the peasants and farmers, particularly in the Provence of Munster where the majority of immigrants came from, was primarily Irish speakers. It was the poor that immigrated here, not the upper classes.
    I took a look at your link and I stand corrected. Okay so many came here speaking Irish and according to this:

http://www.ucc.ie/chronicon/nighab2.htm

There seemed to be an effort by the Irish to preserve their language through various means whether it be forming societies or through the creation of Irish language publications. It sort of reminds of the Spanish language television programming we have today except obviously TV is a bigger deal then a couple of newspapers. The only difference here is in the number of immigrants. Because there are so many more Hispanic immigrants, assimilation is not going to readily occur in 1st generation immigrants (like with the Irish) but instead in 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics as I've come to learn while living out here in the South West. Like I said, assimilation is and will continue to occur among Hispanics you just got to give it time and stop any further mass illegal immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldglory

I don't know. Like I said before, if I'm out in public and encounter a Hispanic, I can speak to them in English and they'll respond in English. Why would they speak to me in Spanish when they don't know if I speak it or not. If they're speaking Spanish amongst themselves in public, what's the deal? Italians and Germans spoke their languages amongst themselves in public back then no?
    That is why I said they will speak English if they have to as in them responding to you in English. I said nothing about them speaking to you in Spanish.

The deal is that it is a non-assimilation factor to me. Speaking for my own grandparents they only spoke their native langauge at home. In public they wanted to blend into mainstream and not stand out as if they weren't Americans. Since there are so many Hispanics in this country both legally and illegally they seem to want to hang on to their native language in public rather than assimilating to our langauge. It is also a constant reminder of the invasion we are having from south of our border. I know many of them do it out of defiance also. Whether you want to admit it or not many of them resent white Americans.

The Irish Immigrants from the 1800's to early 1900's spoke Irish Gaelic.
    "Did they wear underwear under they're kilts?"

Man that would make things much more convenient!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    The Irish Immigrants from the 1800's to early 1900's spoke Irish Gaelic.
    "Did they wear underwear under they're kilts?"

Man that would make things much more convenient!
    That info is top secret
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The tower of babble that America has become consists of many illegal alien enclaves. Here in the Chicagoland area first and foremost are the Polish illegals who have been allowed to reside here illegally and freely for decades. They are also very racist against Black Americans. I am a middle class petite female (thus definitely not a threat of any kind, gainfully employed for over 32 years, with stellar credit, no criminal history) yet a couple of years ago after selling my home I was looking to rent a nice apartment in the suburb of Justice Illinois. The son (who owned the building) who wanted to rent the apartment to me was met head on by his racist parents (who have probably resided in this country ILLEGALLY for more than 50 years) didn't speak a word of English yet who by his own admission, hated Black people and did not want him to rent to "Blacks".

I have lived amongst immigrants of various nationalities. The Pakistani's and Indian immigrants (well educated and primarily physicians and store owners) have been the friendliest of all of the immigrants (both legal and illegal) that I have encountered

It never ceases to amaze me that both illegal and legal immigrants (of various nationalities) seem to think that because we as a people were enslaved and discriminated against by White America that it's their turn to do the same. Despite being criminals they somehow seem to think that they are better than Black Americans and entitled to the CIVIL rights and privileges that WE FOUGHT, MARCHED and DIED for as citizens of this country.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    I am a middle class petite female (thus definitely not a threat of any kind, gainfully employed for over 32 years, with stellar credit, no criminal history)
    "Hey! Hey!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am a middle class petite female (thus definitely not a threat of any kind, gainfully employed for over 32 years, with stellar credit, no criminal history)
    You my dear are the worst kind of threat to illegals. They can not tell you that you are a racist, for you are a minority. They can not accuse you of being physically intimidating, for you must be in your forties and as you stated you are small a petite. Therefore, with you they can only argue the truth, the law and issues. Unfortunately for them, none of which is in their favor.

When it comes to this debate, you have the power to disarm them as many of us here do not.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    "Hey! Hey!"
    Steve:

You truly are a hot mess

You my dear are the worst kind of threat to illegals. They can not tell you that you are a racist, for you are a minority. They can not accuse you of being physically intimidating, for you must be in your forties and as you stated you are small a petite. Therefore, with you they can only argue the truth, the law and issues. Unfortunately for them, none of which is in their favor.

When it comes to this debate, you have the power to disarm them as many of us here do not.
    Cayla:

Thank you for your kind words and I do understand what you are saying. I have friends of all races and I tell ALL of my caucasian friends not to be intimidated by the cat calls of "racist". It's exactly what they want you all to do. They have learned from the masters of deception, and come into our country riding on the Jesse and AL racist express. They know that the majority of White Americans ARE NOT racist, but the card still works.

I am desperately working to get as many of my minority friends educated and together with regards to this issue in the hopes that when our turn comes (Americans) to march throughout the country that we can come out in force and join the rest of America in saying enough is enough.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast