Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

dxd
    JuniusJnr,
    RE:dxd, all that sounds very logical BUT, the bottom line is legally, even if the president refuses to sign or vetoes legislation they pass, that doesn't mean they can't over ride him. Plus, the President WANTS amnesty so it would be playing into his hands.

They can override with 2/3 of both houses but the probability of that is very low.

You say the President wants amnesty. Let's take a look at that. The President wants amnesty in such a way that it will not hurt the R party. The prez wants an amnesty that they can blame the D for in the eyes of one segment of the R constituency, while getting credit for amnesty in the eyes of another segment of the R constituency. hmmm The prez wants scamnesty.

If the D's take congress and pass some kind of instant citizenship amnesty and the prez signs it, it will severely, if not fatally, hurt the R party because the D's will get all the credit and all these new voters will vote D in 2008 while at the same time R will lose even more of its base(if it has any left). That would almost guarantee a D prez and congress in 2008 and that would not be a desirable situation. That is one reason why in the opinion of some that the chances of amnesty are LESS with Bush and a D congress than with Bush and a R congress. Once again this reasoning applies only to the 2006 election.

MW
    dxd, your obvious affiliation with the Democrats is clearly affecting your judgement regarding the illegal immigration issue. Furthermore, your anology of playing chest vice checkers doesn't apply here. The situation is very simple, simple math if you will, no need to make things complicated. The more people we have in Congress that favor anti-illegal immigrant measures, the better chance we have of pushing favorable legislation or blocking illegal immigrant friendly bills and amendments, whichever becomes necessary. This isn't rocket science. Also, your so-called chest game theory fails to consider the fact that a Democrat could be serving as President of the United States in 2008. Your desire to see Democrats as the Congressional majority does not mesh with our (most people on this board) desires to end illegal immigration, strengthen our borders, amend the current anchor baby policy, and enforce our current immigration laws. I think it has been well established that most ALIPAC members will vote the issue, not the party - it just so happens that a large majority of those we feel can help us the most are Republicans. As Forest Gump would say, "and that's all I'm going to say about that."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

dxd
    RE: As Forest Gump would say, "and that's all I'm going to say about that."

And as the former Chief Justice of the SCOTUS would say to the effect of:
    "We'll hear from you for another 2 minutes since we haven't heard anything yet."

If the D's take congress and pass some kind of instant citizenship amnesty and the prez signs it, it will severely, if not fatally, hurt the R party because the D's will get all the credit and all these new voters will vote D in 2008 while at the same time R will lose even more of its base(if it has any left).
    dxd, I don't know if you remember the election when Carter ran for his second term against Reagan or not but I do. people were lined up around the block in the november night air waiting for their turn to vote Carter out of office all over this land because they were so utterly disgusted with his lack of ability as a president. Where I was, you didn't get time off to go vote back then and even if we had, you couldn't have voted in an hour because the lines were of epic proportions.

Of course, Bush can't run again but I can't help but wonder if it isn't sort of a given that the Republicans, no matter who they nominate, will not be controlling the oval office after 2008. Perhaps never again.

In fact, I HOPE they never gain complete control again and I have been a pretty strong Republican all my life. By the same token, I hope the Democrats NEVER gain the same power that the Republicans have so utterly abused.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY person who could possibly run on the Repbulican presidential ticket in 2008 and get my vote would be Tom Tancredo. Nobody else in politics today has demonstrated that they have the knowledge or the capability to do what needs to be done NOW to alleviate the illegal immigration problem. Tancredo isn't afriad to talk about his "plan" or why it is necessary. And he has doggedly persued this issue for about 30 years now so he isn't a virgin jumping on a band wagon to get the vote. He has persued this position at the risk of his political career so he isn't a blow hard trying to get brownie points.

Hopefully, the problem will be solved before 2008 but, if it isn't, people will be that much more furious that the dude in the President's office today failed this country and that will assure that the Republicans hung themselves by choosing such poor candidates for the past 20 years.

As for the current president wanting amnesty for all these illegals, he stated that way back in the campaigns in 2000. That is why I had such a hard time voting in 2000 and 2004. I voted for him both times because it looked like he would do other things while the rest of the legislators tackeled illegal immigration-- such as my fence sitting senators.

Yes, it would take 2/3 to over ride his veto. But don't you think they are all getting pretty damn sick and tired of him by now? I think that overriding his veto for the sake of their jobs is a distinct possibility, if not a probability. Ted Kennedy may think he's the only toad in the puddle but I can assure you that his opinion carries absolutely no weight with the rest of this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    The ONLY and I mean ONLY person who could possibly run on the Repbulican presidential ticket in 2008 and get my vote would be Tom Tancredo. Nobody else in politics today has demonstrated that they have the knowledge or the capability to do what needs to be done NOW to alleviate the illegal immigration problem.
    Have you listened to Sen. Sessions (R-AL)? The man, should he run, should receive your serious consideration.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, the chances of the political machine letting anyone run who doesn't toe their mark is slim and none. Sessions and a few others have some good ideas but they haven't been chasing illegals as long as Tom Tancredo has.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345