Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    Referred to LaRaza as "An extremist, left-wing organization"
    It's about time. Who had the guts said that?

Sen. Sessions!
    FINALLY!!!!

Now that put a smile on my face that will last the day
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh Gosh !! That man is a true American HERO!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The arguments need to be dissected and summarized, so we can use those points in our communications to our Senators. Certain arguments will weigh better in cases of Dems vs. Reps, and for some up to be re-elected in 2008 and those not having to run, etc.

For example, Sessions outlined the contentious Chain Migration provisions - conservatives want to limit the number allowed in, libs want to allow this to continue to provide 'family unity'. Some Dems are expressing concern over the bill because it begins to impinge upon all (well, as many as now) families to re-unite here). Conservatives respond with - merit should be main determinant in deciding who comes and under which conditions.
    Some Dems are threatening to disassociate from bill because it isn't 'nice enough' to families.

I'd like to see us do as NumbersUSA and have concise lists of the types of messages or lines of reasoning to use with senators of certain parties/points of view...

I will prepare a breakdown / listing of those, with particular attention to past voting on the subject as well (S2611 especially).

Another follow-up note..

Now that they are 'out to lunch', I can clean-up the text above a little, no big changes, just format stuff.

IIRC, I believe someone said that a Sen from North Dakota was scheduled to have the floor after lunch. There are only 2 of course - Conrad (D-ND), and Dorgan (D-ND) - if it is Dorgan, that will be a good thing. He is generally a good guy to us. As he has been a pretty strong advocate for US workers with respect to immigration and I hope he will hammer that theme hard if he does speak this afternoon.

As evidence, he has written the book: "Take this Job and Ship It!"
    http://www.amazon.com/Take-This-Job-Shi ... 031235522X

He voted AGAINST S2611 last year.

He needs your positive feedback and thanks.
    Overall, he is a great help to our side.

Pre-pickup in coverage. (taped program)

Interview with Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)

Has not decided how he is going to vote on bill.

Waiting to see amendments.

Wants to see GW numbers reduced from 400k to 200k. (notes that total number of people that actually enter is likely to be 3+ million)

Not realistic program - movement back-forth not practical.

His amendment does address above problem, attempts to reduce overall total

Delay probably does lessen prospects of bill.

Very complex, most of Senate not involved.

Only appropriate that all Senate, publich have chance to review it.

Is he leaning one way? Not yet - wait see and study.

1st caller: Why are gonna do new things, when existing laws not enforced now? (+ additional comments)

Senator B: I do think bill authors do have a sequence of events that provide new border security, increase infratstructure, + other provisions - esp. interior enforcement, tried to put in place BEFORE other provisions take effect,

2nd caller: I'm in construction, when they do come in, they come in married with kids. The US does not recognize their marriage, kids go to schools, ..etc. loopholes keep them under the umbrella of law.
    Just enforce the laws already there.

Senator B: I think that he is not sure if he is talking about IAs, or future GWs, but I think under the bill the idea is that various provision discourage bringing other family members under bill. ...additional filler...
    "We have not enforced the law went it comes to that"

Host asks about Gov. Richardson and resources for border states?
    Sen B: Has done good job with limited resources, Fed non-enforcement has made it difficult

3rd caller: What i see in bill is that since 1986 our congress has failed to obey it's mandate to enforce / follow Constitution, as far as border control, you have numerous agents being punished for doing their jobs - that sends a message that they risk going to prison - that sends a message. All that needs be done is enforce the laws,... etc.
    Employers are breaking our laws, illegals are breaking our laws, - I want our senators to fulfill their mandate their mission to enforce our laws....

[Trans note - caller is mad, as others so far]

Sen B: Bill substantially does provide for penalties against employers, and
    illegals, - caller probably would not agree with amnesty.

4th caller: Ask about treatment of people from Mexico vs. those coming in from other areas.

Sen B: My understanding is that it treats all groups. Before 1 Jan 2004 have ability to apply for Z visa. (adds details...), later to be able to apply for legal status and GC.

Host: Which agency will do the task, USCIS? Are they up to the task?

Sen B: Well, yes, I don't know if they can do it?
    (..filler...)

Host: How about backlog?

Sen B: The Z Visa - the visa becomes effective about 12
    Z - visa related to GCs, etc.

8 yr backlog to process GC apps.

5th caller: Good morning. Thank you, etc.
    How can a regular US citizen read the immigration bill? How many pages?

Sen B: Where I go to find text of bill, is Thomas - they have full text of bill.
    I don't know if they have it just yet. Go on the Internet,

Host: You can get more info about the bill - at CSpan website.
    Has everyone had a chance to read the bill yet?

Sen B: No, it has just come out this weekend.

Host : Do you have any concerns about brining this out this way?

Sen B: No, not at all. ..etc...
    It is very complex, and has strongly held views on the subject.
    I think Reid is doing everyone is doing a favor.

6th caller: I want to talk about the diseases they bring in like TB, etc.
    and the criminal acts: murders, rapes, child abuse, etc.
    You represent the people first, not the illegals. We are a good people, etc.
    I had to sell my property

You guys need to get your act together and look out for the American people.

Sen B: Well, the concerns the caller raised are good ones, and we do need to give these some attention. ...(filler)... The idea is to eliminate as much of the illegal immigration, and fix the system to deal with legal immigration.

[Transcriber needs break... 10:40am PT]

April
    I liked the lady that called in and said to Bingaman that if you all are not going to enfore the law, why don't you just open the door to the prisons and let all the criminals out because that is the kind of America you are bring about by not enforcing the laws. He blinked on that one!

Hi April.

Yeah, I know - she was mad....

And, did you notice that not one caller had positive things to say?
    How telling.

[Note - I won't follow the deliberations as closely as before, only to note some major points]

Noted 2 amendments will be taken up later this afternoon -

Amendment Summary

Bingaman Amend - Lowers numbers of guest workers from 400k -> 200k

Dorgan Amend - Also involves guest-workers, *I think* which drastically eliminates current GW numbers entirely (I didn't notice actual details).

Sessions says he doesn't favor Dorgan approach as he wants a guest-worker program that just works - not to eliminate guest-workers altogether. Program just needs to be defined well, and implemented to our benefit.

Isakson has floor...

Giving background from last year, etc.

Offered the idea of a ' trigger' to implement policies in sequence.

"Most significant domestic issue facing the USA".

Border security required.

April
    Hi April.

Yeah, I know - she was mad....

And, did you notice that not one caller had positive things to say?
    How telling.
    Yes, PhredE I did notice. NOW if those treasonous idiots will get a grip on reality.......Oh that's right we have to MAKE them.

BTW you are doing a great job PhredE!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast