Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by mrrabbit
    Absolutely...

Greenhouse gives you warmth...all you need is a little humidity. Humidifier? Couple ponds of water for evap? Chance to do butterflies as well...

I have a question. I have three tomato plants that are behaving different from another three in the same soil.

They are getting the same water, and same fertilizer treatment.

Only, these do not seem to be growing at the same rate - it's as if they suddenly decided to stop at 18". Their leaves are green and all that...however they maintain a slight curled state. Also, they tried to put out blossoms - however they turned white and dried out and only opened about an 1/8 of the normal 160 degrees open position.

The aren't suffering from wilt are they?

=
    Are they in the ground or in a pot? If they're in a pot it may be a matter "Survival of the fittest".

Too close together?
    ------------------------

2 in pots...one in ground. They are all getting the exact same treatment - same soil in ground...same soil if in pots.

Same fertilizer treatment every 10 days.

Same watering...etc...

Spaced out about 4 feet.

Not serious about illegals, outsourcing and insourcing? Wait until magicians pull illegals out of their hats...

------------------------

My beefstake plant is in a pot and doing the same thing....leaves curled, but the one plant in that I have in threre is producing fruit finally. It just always looks dry so I figured it must be the species. The rest are smaller varieties so I have nothing to compare it to...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Took a peek at the link...

So far I seem to have the pest that puts tiny little holes in small transplants...wiped out my cantaloupe and greenbeans. But nothing on the tomatoes..

Had horn worms a few years ago...so far notne this year.

So I guess I'll just wait another week or so and see if they have a change of mind growth and fruit wise.

=
    Not serious about illegals, outsourcing and insourcing? Wait until magicians pull illegals out of their hats...

Quote Originally Posted by mrrabbit
    Took a peek at the link...

So far I seem to have the pest that puts tiny little holes in small transplants...wiped out my cantaloupe and greenbeans. But nothing on the tomatoes..

Had horn worms a few years ago...so far notne this year.

So I guess I'll just wait another week or so and see if they have a change of mind growth and fruit wise.

=
    At the left on the link is a list of the features I posted below:

Varieties
    Producing tomato plants
    Selecting growing area
    Preparing soil for planting
    Fertilizing
    Setting out plants
    Planting distances
    Staking
    Pruning
    Watering
    Sidedressing
    Cultivating and controlling weeds
    Harvesting
    Physiological problems
    Chemical problems
    Insects
    Diseases
    ------------------------

Ok, anyone out there still growing your own tomatos? Mine had a great summer this year, but the plants are pretty spent now. Hopefully it's not too late to start some new seedlings. We get warm sunny weather here so maybe I can have them all year round.
    How did your tomatos do this summer???
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I tried out the upside down tomatoe planter this year and it's fantastic!

http://tiny.cc/tomato Check out what it looks like.

It took some getting used to but NO more weeding and it's portable too! I bought some hanging flower poles and staked in the ground outside. Also had a basket stand and took that out onto the patio with more planters.

For a great tomato salad and to use up day old bread:

Run the bread under water until soft, squeeze out as much water as you can and crumble into bite-sized pieces. Add as many cut-up tomato chunks as you want. Add chopped onions, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some basil and mix together. Heaven on earth!
    You can also add other veggies to it, depending on taste.
    "

miguelina, I think your upside down tomato would be hydoponically grown.
    Great instructions for hydroponics is at the following url:
    http://ag.arizona.edu/hydroponictomatoes/
    I ended up growing tomatoes without added soil in containers containing pea gravel in the shade house I had in Florida, as the first year I planted them in bag-soil supplemented sand in the garden, I found myself out everymorning with a solution of tabasco sauce and dish liquid in water fighting army worms. Buying tomato seedlings in six-packs, I would pull them out with the little bit of soil and plant them in pea gravel with water. The containers were large plastic bins with where we drilled a hole about 1/3 of the way down and inserted drainage plugs. The plants did just fine and produced lots of tomatoes. So did everything else I planted into those bins.

I'm allergic to tomatoes (and oranges). But, I have a garden with cucumbers, pumpkins, sunflowers, watermelons, green beans and a scattering of flowers. It's cheaper to buy seeds than grown veggies, especially with a large family.

My neighbor has a farm, growing potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and so on. He doesn't use illegal alien labor, and he shares his produce

My mom grows tomatoes and some plants around her house for fresh air and security (no one can see in her windows -- she's paranoid).

I have been encouraging people I meet to start their own gardens, because even buying from the local farmers markets will be supporting illegal employers.
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678