Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A TOMATO REVOLUTION!!!!! I AM READY FOR THAT!!!!

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NO YARD....YOU CAN GROW MANY VARIETIES OF CHERRY OR GRAPE TOMATOES IN CONTAINERS.

KEEP THEM INSIDE IF YOU WANT AND GROW THEM ALL YEAR ROUND. PUT THEM NEXT TO A WINDOW OR USE A GROW LIGHT. YOU CAN GET GROW LIGHTS FOR ABOUT 20 BUCKS....60 WATTS. ARGOSUN DAYSPOT MAKES THEM AND I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS.

GROW LIGHTS CAN ALLOW YOU TO GROW MOST VEGGIES ALL YEAR ROUND.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Im glad I found this thread. I'm growing my own tomatos now. 2 cherry tomato plants and one Beefsteak plant. Which reminds me, I need to get off my duff and go feed them RIGHT NOW!

If anyone can kill a plant, trip, fall, or strip a screw-it'll be me....Last year, I tried only growing the larger tomatos and they got this black, rotting stuff on the bottoms as soon as they started to ripen. Does any one know what caused this? I thought maybe I overwatered them when they were young.....

So far so good on the ones I have this year (keeping fingers crossed)!
    Sounds like Blossom Rot

I have that problem here because there is not enough calcium in the soil.

You have to either change your soil, or boost down to the Lowes garden center and buy some stuff to treat it.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

They sell a calcium mixture you can add every seven days by mixing just a little bit of the concentrate with a few gallons of water in your watering bucket that should fix the problem

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Action needed here, please help!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-119040.html

Do you guys think it is too late in the year to plant tomatoes outside?

I think this is a great idea. We won't need all those salmonella tomato picking illegals here if no one is buying them.

Another thing I would like to work on is alternatives to meat. Since the meat packing plants keep hiring illegals, I don't want to touch meat.

Anyone got some good vegetarian recipes to share?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Im glad I found this thread. I'm growing my own tomatos now. 2 cherry tomato plants and one Beefsteak plant. Which reminds me, I need to get off my duff and go feed them RIGHT NOW!

If anyone can kill a plant, trip, fall, or strip a screw-it'll be me....Last year, I tried only growing the larger tomatos and they got this black, rotting stuff on the bottoms as soon as they started to ripen. Does any one know what caused this? I thought maybe I overwatered them when they were young.....

Thanks W. If it starts happening again, I'll now know what to do next....
    Sounds like Blossom Rot

You have to either change your soil, or boost down to the Lowes garden center and buy some stuff to treat it.

They sell a calcium mixture you can add every seven days by mixing just a little bit of the concentrate with a few gallons of water in your watering bucket that should fix the problem

W

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC

Thanks W. If it starts happening again, I'll now know what to do next....
    Sounds like Blossom Rot

W

Next time you plant your tomatoes, toss in a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk into the hole before you set the plant. If you don't have any powdered milk, use crushed eggshells. Works just as well.

If you've already set the plants, just loosen the soil around the plant and work in a couple TBSP of the powdered milk or crushed eggshells.

Another big plus- Once is all it takes per planting season. No need to repeat every so many days or weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne
    Do you guys think it is too late in the year to plant tomatoes outside?

I think this is a great idea. We won't need all those salmonella tomato picking illegals here if no one is buying them.

Another thing I would like to work on is alternatives to meat. Since the meat packing plants keep hiring illegals, I don't want to touch meat.

Anyone got some good vegetarian recipes to share?
    You should still be able to get some tomatoes if you fertilize them well and keep them watered well.

You might not want to start off from seeds though. It would be to your benefit to buy some tomato plants that are already a few inches high at the store.

W

Quote Originally Posted by April
    I think it is a GREAT IDEA!!!!!

Love the dancing tomatoes. Wish we could grow our own.

Proud to be an AMERICAN

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    A TOMATO REVOLUTION!!!!! I AM READY FOR THAT!!!!

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NO YARD....YOU CAN GROW MANY VARIETIES OF CHERRY OR GRAPE TOMATOES IN CONTAINERS.

KEEP THEM INSIDE IF YOU WANT AND GROW THEM ALL YEAR ROUND. PUT THEM NEXT TO A WINDOW OR USE A GROW LIGHT. YOU CAN GET GROW LIGHTS FOR ABOUT 20 BUCKS....60 WATTS. ARGOSUN DAYSPOT MAKES THEM AND I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS.

GROW LIGHTS CAN ALLOW YOU TO GROW MOST VEGGIES ALL YEAR ROUND.

Hey thanks for that idea. I wasnt sure what to do. But, you
    gave me a good idea. Thanks.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

Thanks for all the help! Tomatos should be easy to grow-but even they have thier issues. Now I am ready!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast