Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by MontereySherry
    Ok, everyone after I retired and moved to the country, I planted my first garden. I think I went overboard. I had so much produce and was giving it away to everyone, so much that everyone started avoiding me, saying ok we have enough. I learned after that, that everyone here has their garden and it is easier being on the receiving end.

I have been debating planting a few plants, but was worried about the drought and all the gophers I am raising (LOL).

[
    quote]Does anyone know if they ration your water if you have your own well.
    I remember once here in CA they gave fined you if you watered your lawn on certain days, had water on the sidewalk or washed your car
    .[/quote]

If you own the minerial rights I don't think they can.

I remember the water rationing.
    ------------------------

Has anyone tasted the little yellow pear tomato's? they are kind of like the red cherry but yellow and shaped like a pear( you probably gathered that by the name )

anyway they are delicious my kids come over fill up a freezer back full and just munch on them, they also fight over them. If you haven't tried them you should, they make a great snack.

I planted 3 bushes this year so there will be plenty for all and harmony in the family this summer !
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

My Mother lived through the great depression her parents grew and raised everything they ate with the exception of maybe flour,salt sugar etc...even butchered and smoked thier own cows and pigs.

Oh how I used to hate going around them as my Grandfather would allmost certainly put me to work hoeing,picking veggies or fruit in the summer months.

But looking back at it I wished I would have spent more time with them to learn all of the lost arts.

I remember before my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago she would allways tell my wife and I that we didn't need to waste our money on fineries (basicly anything store bought) as she made every stitch of clothes my Mom and her siblings wore.

This year I have actualy tried my hand at a few tomato plants a first for me,Ill try to post a few pictures in a few weeks providing they do ok.

That is a fantastic garden you grew W.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

I like "green Fried Tomatoes"
    ------------------------

I'm so glad to see others are gardening. It's good for you.

A poster here said last year that she grew fresh green onions year round in a pot in a South facing window. She's right. It can be done.

This year, I have an 8'X16' raised bed garden and already have squash and tomatos on the vine. It's good to be independent.

In case anyone doesn't know, you can have backyard chickens in most cities and hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs.

Also, 2 female geese will lay eggs in a year and they only cost a couple of bucks as goslings. They poop a lot but are great protectors.

Good luck to all.

Oh, the little yellow pear tomatoes are my favorite. We have about 6 vines, but they are having problems this year. For some reason, they are turning yellow and dying. We have a lot of Romas, and other big size tomatoes as well, but they are doing great. We are just now beginning to get ripe ones.

We have always had a garden, but where we live, it requires constant watering and that gets expensive. We may go back to East TExas next spring.

I'm thinking, for now, if you own a well, you can use it. There is some talk around here of putting meters on private wells, however.

Along that line, does anyone know if water is considered a mineral? There is a company buying up mineral rights in this part of the country and they are paying huge prices for them. I haven't seen one of the leases, but I'm wondering if people are selling their water rights and not realizing it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A Victory garden section on Alipac is a great idea. We could do with a few less millionaires whining about pickers and willing to give up our sovereignty for them.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Oh, the little yellow pear tomatoes are my favorite. We have about 6 vines, but they are having problems this year. For some reason, they are turning yellow and dying. We have a lot of Romas, and other big size tomatoes as well, but they are doing great. We are just now beginning to get ripe ones.

We have always had a garden, but where we live, it requires constant watering and that gets expensive. We may go back to East TExas next spring.

I'm thinking, for now, if you own a well, you can use it. There is some talk around here of putting meters on private wells, however.

Along that line, does anyone know if water is considered a mineral? There is a company buying up mineral rights in this part of the country and they are paying huge prices for them. I haven't seen one of the leases, but I'm wondering if people are selling their water rights and not realizing it?
    Water is a minerial and if you own the minerial rights to your property, noone can charge you for the water you own.

In Tx, and OK. people are "leasing" their minerial right to drilling companies to drill for natural gas and collecting residuals.
    But in severals cases, not only the ground is being screwed, the people are too.
    ------------------------

I'm thinking right now they can't charge you, but it is something that is being discussed - it really is. All they have to do is change the law.

Also, some years ago, a family member of a state legislator told me they had passed a law that all underground water in Texas now belonged to the state. I have heard nothing about this, can't find anything about it, but I think something is being considered along those lines. Water is too precious and getting more so. It is too lucrative a commodity for politicians to not try get their share.

I have never heard that a mineral lease included the underground water before, but I'm thinking they may be including it.

Oil and gas leases in Texas is nothing new, I'm just not sure this is the usual leasing process, but who knows.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    I'm thinking right now they can't charge you, but it is something that is being discussed - it really is. All they have to do is change the law.

Also, some years ago, a family member of a state legislator told me they had passed a law that all underground water in Texas now belonged to the state. I have heard nothing about this, can't find anything about it, but I think something is being considered along those lines. Water is too precious and getting more so. It is too lucrative a commodity for politicians to not try get their share.

I have never heard that a mineral lease included the underground water before, but I'm thinking they may be including it.

Oil and gas leases in Texas is nothing new, I'm just not sure this is the usual leasing process, but who knows.
    Of course, a user tax.

Next they'll come out self sufficientcy tax, or Survival Tax.
    ------------------------

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast