Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We can also raise tomatoes year round hydroponically (spelling). You grow them under lights in a square wash basin filled with small pebbles and water. There's a feeding solution that you run through each day. I have a book on it somewhere, but it is really easy to do. I've been wanting to try this for a long time. I have tasted tomatoes grown this way and they are absolutely delicious with no acidy taste.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Has anyone tried planting Grape tomatoes? They are the size of a grape and they taste so good. Very good producer like the cherry tomato, but much better taste. I only planted two of them along with my other regular tomatoes. I have more than enough for our family.

Quote Originally Posted by Justonehero
    My Mother lived through the great depression her parents grew and raised everything they ate with the exception of maybe flour,salt sugar etc...even butchered and smoked thier own cows and pigs.

Oh how I used to hate going around them as my Grandfather would allmost certainly put me to work hoeing,picking veggies or fruit in the summer months.

But looking back at it I wished I would have spent more time with them to learn all of the lost arts.

I remember before my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago she would allways tell my wife and I that we didn't need to waste our money on fineries (basicly anything store bought) as she made every stitch of clothes my Mom and her siblings wore.

This year I have actualy tried my hand at a few tomato plants a first for me,Ill try to post a few pictures in a few weeks providing they do ok.

That is a fantastic garden you grew W.
    My great grandparents practically raised me and they did that too. They had three gardens going each year.

I still have their gardening tools... a shovel, a hoe, and a mattock.

These tools are very sturdy but I bet they are at least sixty years old.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Justonehero
    My Mother lived through the great depression her parents grew and raised everything they ate with the exception of maybe flour,salt sugar etc...even butchered and smoked thier own cows and pigs.

Oh how I used to hate going around them as my Grandfather would allmost certainly put me to work hoeing,picking veggies or fruit in the summer months.

But looking back at it I wished I would have spent more time with them to learn all of the lost arts.

I remember before my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago she would allways tell my wife and I that we didn't need to waste our money on fineries (basicly anything store bought) as she made every stitch of clothes my Mom and her siblings wore.

This year I have actualy tried my hand at a few tomato plants a first for me,Ill try to post a few pictures in a few weeks providing they do ok.

That is a fantastic garden you grew W.
    My great grandparents practically raised me and they did that too. They had three gardens going each year.

I still have their gardening tools... a shovel, a hoe, and a mattock.

These tools are very sturdy but I bet they are at least sixty years old.

W
    When things were made in America not CHINA, things lasted a long time.

Im glad I found this thread. I'm growing my own tomatos now. 2 cherry tomato plants and one Beefsteak plant. Which reminds me, I need to get off my duff and go feed them RIGHT NOW!

If anyone can kill a plant, trip, fall, or strip a screw-it'll be me....Last year, I tried only growing the larger tomatos and they got this black, rotting stuff on the bottoms as soon as they started to ripen. Does any one know what caused this? I thought maybe I overwatered them when they were young.....

So far so good on the ones I have this year (keeping fingers crossed)!

April
    Nothing like a good mater sandwich!

Some bread, some Dukes mayo, some salt and pepper and go!
    I love a tomato sandwich, I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid.

This is a great thread and I agree wholeheartedly. You should raise and grow as much of your own food as possible for a multitude of reasons.

So, just how much food can you grow on a tenth of an acre?

How about 6,000 lbs! At least in S. CA

HOMEGROWN REVOLUTION - Radical Change Taking Root

Since the early 80's the Dervaes family has slowly transformed their ordinary city lot into a self sufficient urban homestead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPEBM5ol0Q
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

This morning during a phone conversation, my mother asked me if Texas was being affected by the tainted tomato problem. Yes, I replied, I had already been at several restaurants that had banned tomatoes. Mom wondered if we were IMPORTING tomatoes from Mexico or elsewhere.
    I told her that maybe OUR tomatoes were being EXPORTED. Mom said that we should NOT be importing tomatoes, we should be EATING our OWN! We are able to raise MORE than enough for ourselves, she noted, so there is NO reason to rely on FOREIGN produce!

Quote Originally Posted by April

Toasted tomato sandwich, buttered while still hot, add the tomato & mayo, salt. Ready to eat. Really good. I like those big beefsteak tomatoes for that. One slice per sandwich. Another thing I like is cucumber sandwiches with mayo and salt & pepper.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Quote Originally Posted by April

Toasted tomato sandwich, buttered while still hot, add the tomato & mayo, salt. Ready to eat. Really good. I like those big beefsteak tomatoes for that. One slice per sandwich. Another thing I like is cucumber sandwiches with mayo and salt & pepper.
    YUMMY!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast