Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

3 high-schoolers deported after being caught drag racing

3 high-schoolers deported after being caught drag racing

Daniel González
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 14, 2007 07:49 PM

Three Valley high school students were deported to Mexico after a Gilbert police officer stopped the car they were in for drag racing and called federal immigration officials.

A federal immigration official called the deportations of the three juveniles "very uncommon." The head of the Gilbert Human Relations Commission questioned whether the students were victims of racial profiling.

The deportations come at a time when several local law enforcement agencies have agreed to partner with federal immigration officials to enforce immigration laws, raising fears in immigrant communities that routine traffic stops could lead to large-scale deportations. Gilbert is not one of the communities partnering with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
    advertisement

Lt. Joe Ruet, a spokesman for the Gilbert Police Department, said the three juveniles were occupants of a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse that was stopped for drag racing on North Velero Street near Guadalupe Road at 11:12 p.m. Saturday.

The officer called ICE after the driver, Jaime Cisneros,16, of Chandler, said he didn't have an Arizona driver's license but did own a Mexican driver's license, although he was not carrying it, Ruet said. Police charged Cisneros with exhibition of speed and criminal speed, both misdemeanors, he said.

Ordinarily, Gilbert police do not ask questions related to immigration status, he said.

However, officers have discretion to contact ICE if they have reason to believe someone is in the country illegally. Cisneros' statement that he had a Mexican driver's license "opened the door," he said.

The officer turned the three juveniles over to ICE officials, who confirmed that the teens were in the country illegally. The students were returned to Mexico after officials from the Mexican Consulate's Office interviewed them, said Lauren Mack, an ICE spokeswoman. In each case, a parent was also contacted, she said.

In September, ICE officials in Arizona instituted a policy to respond to every call from local police departments to pick up undocumented immigrants involved in criminal activity, Mack said. The policy was instituted in response to complaints from local police departments that ICE officials weren't doing their job.

Since, the agency has responded 441 times to calls from 39 law enforcement agencies and picked up 2,408 "deportable criminals," she said. Only two or three of those calls, however, have involved unaccompanied juveniles, she said.

"It's very uncommon," she said.

Tami Smull, who chairs the Gilbert Human Relations Commission, said she was not aware of the incident, but expressed concern.

"It would sadden me if this was a racial-profiling event by a patrolman," she said. "It does demand additional answers."

Smull said she planned to bring the matter up at the commission's next meeting in April.

Jorge Solchaga, head of the protection unit at the Consul General of Mexico in Phoenix, identified the other students as Johany Nafarrate, 17, of Chandler, and Omar Galvez, 16. His residence was not known.

Solchaga said the three juveniles said they live in the Valley with their families and attend high school here. He could not recall what school the students attend.

Reach the reporter at daniel.gonzalez@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-8312.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilb ... ed-ON.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"It would sadden me if this was a racial-profiling event by a patrolman," she said. "It does demand additional answers."
    Where do you get racial profiling from I have a mexican drivers license? These people always twist things in their tiny brains to come out with racial profiling. Gimme a break
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Solchaga said the three juveniles said they live in the Valley with their families and attend high school here. He could not recall what school the students attend
    Now if his nose didn't grow on this lie.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Nice to know that the poor mexicans that come here to find a better life and struggle to make ends meet can have a 16 year old Drag racing. Gas money must grow on trees. They will be back after this paid taxpayer spring break trip to Mexico. probably bring more family members with him.
    Wouldn't it be nice to have the rest of the story, see the police report, think the boys were respectful and had remorse? Good students that made an impulsive misdeed? Do you think the Gilbert police dept may have had dealings with the little darlings before? Great reporting not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ordinarily, Gilbert police do not ask questions related to immigration status, he said.

However, officers have discretion to contact ICE if they have reason to believe someone is in the country illegally. Cisneros' statement that he had a Mexican driver's license "opened the door," he said.

Ok if police dont ask immigration related questions what lead him to belive the young boys were illegals??? The mexican drivers license????
    <div align="center">"The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you,"
    </div>

<u><div align="center"><u>WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG</u></div></u>

The officer turned the three juveniles over to ICE officials, who confirmed that the teens were in the country illegally. The students were returned to Mexico after officials from the Mexican Consulate's Office interviewed them, said Lauren Mack, an ICE spokeswoman. In each case, a parent was also contacted, she said.
    I am glad that these 3 were deported. But where are the parents? If they are in the US then they should be deported too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWBREED

Ok if police dont ask immigration related questions what lead him to belive the young boys were illegals??? The mexican drivers license????
    If that's not a rhetorical question you may need to enroll in remedial reading comprehension classes. Possessing a Mexican drivers license would lead one to believe that the possessor would be a Mexican national, don't you think?

Thats why I asked if it WAS because of the mexican drivers license. My grandfather is a "legal immigrant" and he also has a mexican drivers license. So thats why I asked, but I guess it thrills you to be rude, so go ahead buddy.
    <div align="center">"The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you,"
    </div>

<u><div align="center"><u>WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG</u></div></u>

the police should have picked up the parents and deported them also. Drag racing is dangerous and shows a disregard of american laws. We don't need more illegals who disobey our laws.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWBREED
    Thats why I asked if it WAS because of the mexican drivers license. My grandfather is a "legal immigrant" and he also has a mexican drivers license. So thats why I asked, but I guess it thrills you to be rude, so go ahead buddy.
    Does your grandfather also possess an American drivers license, or any other documentation concerning his status? I'd be willing to bet that he does.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just think you would do well to sharpen your critical thinking skills.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast