Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5895001

Gunman attack Border Patrol site before retreating back to Mexico

TUCSON, Ariz. -- National Guard troops working at an observatory post near the Mexican border were forced to flee after being approached by a group of armed individuals, authorities said.

The event occurred about 11 p.m. Wednesday at one of the National Guard entrance identification team posts near Sasabe, said National Guard Sgt. Edward Balaban.

He said the troops withdrew safely, so shots were fired and no one suffered injuries.

U.S. Border Patrol officials are investigating the incident and trying to determine who the armed people were, what they were doing and why they approached the post before retreating to Mexico.

The incident occurred in the west desert corridor between Nogales and Lukeville in the vicinity of Sasabe, Balaban said.

"We don't know exactly how many because obviously it took place in the dark," Balaban said. "Nobody was able to get an accurate count."

The Guard troops are not allowed to apprehend illegal entrants.

"We don't know if this was a matter of somebody coming up accidentally on the individuals, coming up intentionally on the individuals, or some sort of a diversion," said Rob Daniels, spokesman for the Border Patrol's Tucson Sector.

The west desert corridor has been the busiest in the Tucson Sector for marijuana seizures since last year.

Agents have seized 124,000 pounds of marijuana there since Oct. 1, Daniels said.

With more Border Patrol agents and National Guard troops patrolling the Arizona section of the U.S.-Mexican border, it has become more difficult to smuggle drugs and people across and "that heightened frustration may have been connected to what took place last night," Daniels said.

Officials will make a decision following the investigation about whether changes need to be made in regard to the entrance identification teams, Balaban said.

Since arriving in mid-June, the Guard has assisted the Border Patrol by manning control rooms, doing vehicle and helicopter maintenance, repairing roads and fences, constructing vehicle barriers and fences and spotting and reporting illegal entrants in entrance identification teams.

There are dozens of National Guard entrance identification teams along the Mexican border, including east and west of both Nogales and Sasabe and on the Tohono O'odham Nation.

The troops stand post on hilltops next to army-green tents and serve as extra eyes and ears for the Border Patrol.

The Guard "fleeing" or being forced "to retreat" is unacceptable. Arm the National Guard! What a bunch of idiots we have in charge!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Guardsmen overrun at the Border

IT TAKES YOUR ENEMY AND YOUR FRIEND, WORKING TOGETHER, TO HURT YOU: THE ONE TO SLANDER YOU, AND THE OUTHER TO GET THE NEWS TO YOU. (MARK TWAIN)

I didn't see KVOA this morning but the other two Tucson TV stations had nothing on this this morning. Neither did the Tucson Newspapers. Here's the latest from the Arizona Republic in Phoenix. Oops, I see the following is the same as above. This is a perfect example of the Tucson news not doing any of their own work. KOLD is now reporting it too, but not much detail.

Gunmen force Guard troops to flee post near Mexican border

Associated Press
    Jan. 5, 2007 05:57 AM

TUCSON - National Guard troops working at an observatory post near the Mexican border were forced to flee after being approached by a group of armed individuals, authorities said.

The event occurred about 11 p.m. Wednesday at one of the National Guard entrance identification team posts near Sasabe, said National Guard Sgt. Edward Balaban.

He said the troops withdrew safely, no shots were fired and no one suffered injuries.

U.S. Border Patrol officials are investigating the incident and trying to determine who the armed people were, what they were doing and why they approached the post before retreating to Mexico.

The incident occurred in the west desert corridor between Nogales and Lukeville in the vicinity of Sasabe, Balaban said.

"We don't know exactly how many because obviously it took place in the dark," Balaban said. "Nobody was able to get an accurate count."

The Guard troops are not allowed to apprehend illegal entrants.

"We don't know if this was a matter of somebody coming up accidentally on the individuals, coming up intentionally on the individuals, or some sort of a diversion," said Rob Daniels, spokesman for the Border Patrol's Tucson Sector.

The west desert corridor has been the busiest in the Tucson Sector for marijuana seizures since last year.

Agents have seized 124,000 pounds of marijuana there since Oct. 1, Daniels said.

With more Border Patrol agents and National Guard troops patrolling the Arizona section of the U.S.-Mexican border, it has become more difficult to smuggle drugs and people across and "that heightened frustration may have been connected to what took place last night," Daniels said.

Officials will make a decision following the investigation about whether changes need to be made in regard to the entrance identification teams, Balaban said.

Since arriving in mid-June, the Guard has assisted the Border Patrol by manning control rooms, doing vehicle and helicopter maintenance, repairing roads and fences, constructing vehicle barriers and fences and spotting and reporting illegal entrants in entrance identification teams.

There are dozens of National Guard entrance identification teams along the Mexican border, including east and west of both Nogales and Sasabe and on the Tohono O'odham Nation.

The troops stand post on hilltops next to army-green tents and serve as extra eyes and ears for the Border Patrol.
    http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/clickt ... 05-ON.html
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I cannot believe that our Gov, our President, has placed our National Guardsmen down on that border without one bit of protection against these desperate armed to the teeth Mexican scum bag dope dealers! If just one of our men and women down on that dam border come up shot and killed or even wounded, I hope that idiot sitting up in our whitehouse understands just how the American people will hold him personally responsible for what happens to these guard who have been forced to go to help our border without their weapons! Dollars to donuts, our servicemen in Iraq and everywhere else in the world minding the borders of other countries are armed to the teeth, he would not think of sending them to secure their borders without weapons. My contempt for this President is at an all time high!
    Oh, I believe it. Look at the two border patrol agents who are about to go to prison for a decade. Bush under no circumstances wants our border protected or secured. Bush knows billions of dollars of illegal drugs come over the border every year. Bush knows violent criminals come over from mexico and murder and rape american citizens. And he knows terrorists are also coming over the mexican border and yet he still does nothing. You have to wonder just what Bush's agenda is and exactly who's side he is actually on? Because he is doing exactly the opposite of almost everything he should be doing.
    let me ask you a question, why in the hell are we Americans sitting back on our thumbs and allowing this to happen to us?We cannot just blame Bush and our suppose to be elected leaders by we the people, to stand up there and allow this to happen to our country. If we let that happen, then we are as much to blame as they are ! We would never have received our Independence from England in the first place if we had done no more then we are doing now to stop this invasion of our country by another country! We are all working hard, writing letters, making phone calls, begging our leaders to listen to us, for some reason they aren't hearing us , now we learn their country Mexico, is going to supply their people with GPS devices in order to make it even more likely they will be able to get into our country, something is wrong here folks, we are getting down to the NittyGritty, what the hell is it going to take for us Americans, who have every right to protect our borders as our constitution tells us that we have, not just our leaders, the bottom line, what do we have to do to get this done before it is to late?
    I think many of us ask the same question,WHY? As we all know most Americans are against amnesty and want these illegals deported and a wall or fence built. It seems many Americans are afraid to speak out, while those breaking the law and even illegals are not. Lets face it we see very little enforcement of the law concerning these criminals. Imagine foreign invaders protesting in our streets with immunity! How many protests have there been in this country by citizens who were promptly arrested and in violation to their Constitutional rights? Now we have our Nat. Guard attacked on the Border, an act of war against us? These illegals are killing our citizens, raping and molesting our children, stealing billions from us taxpayers. Lets face it we have no true leadership in the White House as this invasion of criminals proves.
    I believe unless some miracle happens and Americans take courage and stand up it is all going to fall apart, we are headed towards total kaos and collapse of our economy and culture, it has already begun. Perhaps only from the ashes will the real America emerge again, and having learned ,to say "Never Again!!" Just maybe in 2008 a person like Hunter or Tancredo will be able to turn it around. Can we as Americans stop it from happening, yes united together. But in all truth I don't see most Americans doing that out of fear of those who are daily taking away our Constitutional rights while giving illegals rights they don't even have. Unless America wakes up as a whole and stands against this evil it will continue and worsen. We are not only being invade from without, we are being betrayed from within.

You mean like allowing them to have weapons? You don’t think the Mexican Drug Cartels can’t read? Give them weapons so they can defend themselves. That’s what soldiers do best!
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504

You mean like allowing them to have weapons? You don’t think the Mexican Drug Cartels can’t read? Give them weapons so they can defend themselves. That’s what soldiers do best!
    Just what I was thinking JP. Of course, they had to retreat. They have nothing with which to defend themselves. Total absurdity!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Just a couple of observations.

These guys were at an "observation" post. So there probably were not more that 4-5 troops on duty. It was my understanding that the troops who were likely to encounter armed personnel such as the drug smugglers were to be armed. So it would make sense to me that these guys would be armed and probably were. It also makes sense to me that if they were at an observation post and their orders were only to report sightings to the Border Patrol and out of the blue you have a large group of people walking right up on you that you should fall back and call it in.

What I don't understand is why they couldn't tell how many there were and the excuse was it was dark. Apparently these people were close enough that the Guard troops could tell they were armed. Shouldn't at least one of the Guard troops have had a night observation device? My guess it that they did and probably do know how many invaders there were but they don't want to release the numbers.

RUN AWAY !

How totally disgusting! And little to no news about this in the mainstream media!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast