Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Deport
    "50 million are in the usa now or we would not have the market we have"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I may be in the minority here, but I believe that LEGAL immigrants should take English classes to improve on their English speaking skills. I'd rather reward people that are trying to learn English, rather than the people who are demanding we accomodate their native language.

I agree that illegals should NOT be allowed in the classroom, but they will NEVER ask for legal papers for FREE classes. The ACLU would file a lawsuit for discrimination within a minute of changing to rules. Plus, free teachers wouldn't want to figure out what a legal vs. forged document would be. So, that will never happen.

It's that whole problem of: 1) Keep the free English classes open for everyone, which included illegals or 2) Stop the free English classes, but the LEGAL immigrants suffer for not being able to take low-cost or no-cost English classes

I don't think you have to know English anymore to get a green card. I could swear a few months ago there was a story on ALIPAC, talking about how you could take the immigration test in several languages and not just English. Am I wrong? I agree they SHOULD go back to English-only immigration exams. This was probably something pushed away by the ACLU for discrimination against immigrants (roll eyes).

TexasGal

P.S. Don't get so mean, people! Can't we have some differing opinions in here without calling someone a "troll" when it seems obvious they probably aren't. That's what we're here on ALIPAC for: thousands of people across the country from differing beliefs and backgrounds who have come together to fight illegal immigration (and we'll never all completely agree on that subject, either!).

TexasGalI may be in the minority here, but I believe that LEGAL immigrants should take English classes to improve on their English speaking skills.

I don't think you have to know English anymore to get a green card.
    TexasGal
    You ALREADY have to know English to obtain citizenship! So the ENGLISH classes you are talking about are for ILEGAL's!!! I say NO! We owe an illegal NOTHING!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To obtain citizenship, applicants must:Be at least 18 years old (unless they are an exception to this rule and subject to a waiver);
    Have lawful permanent residence;
    Have resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in America for at least 5 years prior to filing with absences from America totalling no more than 1 year;
    Be of good moral character;
    Be able to show he or she is attached to the principles of the American Constitution;
    Be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language, unless on the date of filing the applicant:
    Has been residing in America subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 15 years and is over 55 years of age;
    Has been residing in America subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 20 years and is over 50 years of age; or
    Has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant's ability to learn English;
    Be able to demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history and of the principles and form of government of America; and
    Take the oath of allegiance, swearing to:
    Support the Constitution and obey the laws of America;
    Renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and
    Bear arms for the Armed Forces of the America or perform services for the American government when required.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

LEGAL IMMIGRANTS

1. They applied for Visas
    2. They waited until they were eligible
    3. They learned to speak English
    4. They learned about American History
    5. They had someone here sponsoring them
    6. They had jobs lined up and waiting for them
    7. They respected the laws of the U.S.A.
    8. They respected the American way of life
    9. They were thankful for the chance to become an American.

What ILLEGAL ALIENS WANT:

1. Instant citizenship
    2. Full medical coverage without paying
    3. To have Anchor Babies who become citizens
    4. To bring as many of their relatives as possible.
    5. To demand all rights Americans have worked for.
    6. To be given free schooling for children
    7. To demand that teachers be bi-lingual
    8. Demanding, not asking to be allowed to stay
    9. To receive benefits they have not earned
    10. To be a drag on American resources
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Permanent LEGAL residents do NOT have to know English to get in the country legally. (Only people who apply to be U.S. Citizens HAVE to know English. So there are THOUSANDS of LEGAL immigrants coming into the U.S. without knowing English each year.) Check out this page from the U.S. Gov website:

http://montevideo.usembassy.gov/usaweb/ ... 64EN.shtml

Here's some choice quotes.

Washington -- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has updated its free publication Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants and added Polish and Urdu to the 11 other languages in which the booklet is available. . . .

The guide, which was introduced in 2005 and recently updated, also comes in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese, Stiefel told America.gov.
    [quote] The United States receives 1 million legal permanent residents a year, Stiefel said, and roughly 750,000 people are naturalized as citizens each year.

The 114-page guide explains the rights and responsibilities of legal permanent residents -- “green cardâ€

I'm right with you, TexasGal - I think English language classes for legal immigrants is a good thing. As it stands in America now, you can be a legal immigrant without learning English. If we want our immigrants to assimilate, I think providing English language classes is a good start. Sure I'd like to see some kind renumeration from the immigrant student, but if my community wants to provide these classes for free, that's okay with me, too.

I don't care what other countries do or don't do for their immigrants - I live in America as a proud citizen and I don't mind helping legal immigrants out in my community. And on the other hand, illegal aliens can take a hike, and I do what I can in my community to see that suspected illegals are reported. But this vitriolic anger being spewed at people with veiled threats of staying within the ALIPAC party line or else is ridiculous. It comes off making us look as racist as those we oppose are.

Quote Originally Posted by cordopolitin
    Quote Originally Posted by builditnow
    WorriedAmerican wrote:
    People that immigrate here legally have to know English before they get citizenship
    Cordopolitin-
    So why should the country they voluntarily choose to immigrate to be required to provide free English lessons? And if an immigrant (legal only please) needs an English class, and they can't afford to pay for one themselves, how are they going to be able to support themselves here?

Reasons to provide English for free or close to it (as I really belive in a small fee just because nothing should be free or appear to be free)

1. A cheep investment into road safty
    2. Children whos parents speak english do better in school
    3. Never too old to learn if for nothing more than self respect.

and the reason I like best The more people who KNOW english the more who can understand my point of view.....
    I agree with Cordopolitin to a point.
    Immigrants should learn English, they should learn it quickly, and then they can pass the citizenship test.
    I don't think illegals should be offered free classes. I think they should pay for them. I think more immigrants, legal and illegal but especially illegal, who do speak English correctly, should be volunteering to teach others, instead of sitting around complaining that the classes that are being paid for by the government are being cut.
    Children's education is being cut. That's a bigger issue right now than whether immigrants get free English lessons or have to pay.
    Volunteer, illegal aliens! Volunteer if it is so important to you! If you benefitted from free classes, offer to teach other people from your neighborhood, coworkers, friends, friends of friends, etc. If you can't speak English, and can't afford to pay for lessons, first, stop sending money to a foreign country and see if you can afford it then. Second, consider some options. Do your children attend public schools? Ask them to teach you. See if a local teenager or college student would be willing to tutor for less money, put an ad on Craigslist asking for lessons in exchange for something you do have, or something you can do (cook, clean, home repairs, etc) or ask if someone is willing to tutor you for free. There are always other options for learning English. If all else fails, watch children's shows that are in English. More than one immigrant has learned that way.
    P.S. Cordopolitan: ALWAYS capitalize the "e" in English.

Cordopolitin, we all come here to express our own opinions without the name-calling or childish behaviour. As a newcomer to ALIPAC, you do yourself a disservice. If you don't agree, offer a rebuttal. Above all, respect is the key.

Can we all try to get along?

Show a little respect for your self by respecting others here.

It works out best for everyone that way.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[quote="cordopolitin"]
    Now to the subject "LEGAL ENGLISH" for LEGAL Immigration as it is nessary IF what you want for America is "English" as the only legal offical language.
    [quote]

I don't have a problem with free English lessons for LEGAL immigrants who actually want to become American citizens.
    I do have a problem with free lessons for illegal immigrants, as I think they should find a way to pay for these classes themselves instead of expecting taxpayers to fund them, and I have a problem with legal immigrants who "just want to work" and do not want to become citizens, as I think they should also pay. Many immigrants come here legally, but not to become citizens. They just want to work, and want to make more money. If they don't want to become citizens, and there are cuts being made to these programs that offer free classes, the first to benefit should be those who want to become American citizens, and not those who want to be here temporarily, just to work, to make more, and save more, and eventually go home to a foreign country.
    If the United States of America was rolling in extra money and Americans weren't out of work in such high numbers, and American children were receiving quality educations in uncrowded classrooms, fine. Then we should have a free-for-all. That's just not the situation in this country. Americans shouldn't have to compete for jobs with illegals or with foreignors who don't want to become Americans, and they sure shouldn't have to compete with people who received free language lessons that helped them become more competitive with American workers.
    One other point I have is even LEGAL immigrants who dream of citizenship should have SOME grasp of the English language BEFORE they come here, or some kind of plan at least, instead of arriving here believing that they are here, so now it's the taxpayers job to make everything as cheap and as easy as possible, as if becoming an American isn't worth a little hard work unless it's the kind of work one is paid for. I imagine leaving one's home country is something that takes some planning, and isn't just done spur of the moment (I'm not talking about those who are quickly moved to the U.S. for humanitarian reasons, such as certain refugees or immigrants who truly have no way to learn English before arriving).

April
    RED ALERT FROM WILLIAM!!! PLEASE JOIN IN!!!!!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-869896.html#869896

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast