Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hi Legal, the scientists say we all came from Africa, we were Pagans before, or better we came from Adam and Eve or maybe from a fish (evolution).
    This for me is lunatic,
    My heritage is fishy, pagan, african ,judeochristhian, latin -American

Am I missing something ??????

Good point, Legal. Some folks don't have access to their ancestral history. And, in a sense that makes me sad. Losing your heritage loses a lot of your family history.

But for those who can trace their ancestry, it's kind of neat. Some folks go to OktoberFest to celebrate while others do it up big for St. Patricks day, and some still have tradtional holiday meals, eat sauerkraut or drink buttermilk.

We have towns with names like German Town and a regions called New England and New Orleans - and many, many more examples of heritage right here in the good ol USA.

Heritage is a form of family history. It's something we should all have the right to be poud of (if we're fortunate enough to know about it). It's something we can pass down to our kids as a rememberance. It doesn't necessarily define who we are.

If you look at western Europe, heritage has played a huge part in their history. Family's with coats of arms and family's with royal blood.

Here in the states we have family's whose last names are related to the trades of their European ancestors, like Smith, Chandler and Baker. Ancestral ames that denote family ties like Johnson (son of John), and Michaelson (son of Michael.)

Quote Originally Posted by sporatica

Your bloodline would have qualified as hispanic heritage. But, did you even bother to try, and do you meet the rest of the requirements?

Is your GPA over 3.25? Are you in your second-year at an accredited university? Are your transcripts and letters of referrence in order? Did you submit your resume and an original essay? Are you studying Business or Finance?

Oh, well, so much for being well-mannered, huh? First of all. I am not la raza. Secondly, I am not a boy. Thirdly, my father is Norwegian so I am mixed. There was no racial purity standard, set forth by Denny's, to prove heritage... so long as it could be proven. My bloodline goes to the 17th century. Seems to me that you're more "hispanic" than I am. Or, if you prefer, "chicano or latino"

Here you are, third-generation American, with a signature written in Spanish that real Americans wouldn't waste their time trying to decipher. How's your granny's English?
    My great-grandmother is dead. I never even met the woman. I don't have a Spanish surname. Strangely enough, I don't have a problem w/you winning the scholarship. I only have a problem w/scholarships that only promote a certain ethnicity/race, regardless of what that ethnicity/race is.
    Like you, I feel everyone should play/work on a level playing field w/no advantages given to groups that are no longer an oppressed "minority."
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-I-am

Your bloodline would have qualified as hispanic heritage. But, did you even bother to try, and do you meet the rest of the requirements?

Is your GPA over 3.25? Are you in your second-year at an accredited university? Are your transcripts and letters of referrence in order? Did you submit your resume and an original essay? Are you studying Business or Finance?

Oh, well, so much for being well-mannered, huh? First of all. I am not la raza. Secondly, I am not a boy. Thirdly, my father is Norwegian so I am mixed. There was no racial purity standard, set forth by Denny's, to prove heritage... so long as it could be proven. My bloodline goes to the 17th century. Seems to me that you're more "hispanic" than I am. Or, if you prefer, "chicano or latino"

Here you are, third-generation American, with a signature written in Spanish that real Americans wouldn't waste their time trying to decipher. How's your granny's English?
    My great-grandmother is dead. I never even met the woman. I don't have a Spanish surname. Strangely enough, I don't have a problem w/you winning the scholarship. I only have a problem w/scholarships that only promote a certain ethnicity/race, regardless of what that ethnicity/race is.
    Like you, I feel everyone should play/work on a level playing field w/no advantages given to groups that are no longer an oppressed "minority."
    Thank you. And, I don't have a spanish surname either. I respect your feelings about having a problem with things that promote certain things. I understand, because I have a problem with anybody telling American Citizens or Corporations how they can spend their profits. I may not agree with how they spend them or to whom they give gifts. but I accept that it's our right as Americans to give our money away to whomever we want.

Now, tax money/federal funds? That's a whole different story. We have a right to decide how taxes get spent.

Hey Sporatica, welcome to Alipac. Although I don't think highly of any group that uses race/ethnicity to reward people, you are right,we should worry more about where our tax dollars are being spent rather than an easily boycotted company spends theirs.

Myself I get a little tired of hearing people use their race/ethnicity to either bash others over the head with their "superiority" or cry about how its holding them back.I feel we are all responsible for our own successes or failures.This is just my opinion it is not a comment or reply to anyones post.

Legal, that is funny,I think I will use that in the future-Heinz 57-

Rawhide!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    Hey Sporatica, welcome to Alipac. Although I don't think highly of any group that uses race/ethnicity to reward people, you are right,we should worry more about where our tax dollars are being spent rather than an easily boycotted company spends theirs.

Myself I get a little tired of hearing people use their race/ethnicity to either bash others over the head with their "superiority" or cry about how its holding them back.I feel we are all responsible for our own successes or failures.This is just my opinion it is not a comment or reply to anyones post.

Legal, that is funny,I think I will use that in the future-Heinz 57-

Rawhide!
    Thanks for the welcome, Rawhide.

For some reason, this thread has read like Denny's gave scholarships to anybody of hispanic heritage who applied. I agree with you, that would have been really screwed up. But there were so many other requirements and qualifications for this.

I feel for the original poster whose high-school-age son is searching for scholarships. I know, tuition is high. It really sucks. But her son would have been denied regardless of race. His grade level was a disqualifying factor. Because this was specific to Business/Finance majors in their Junior year and then narrowed down by further by merit.

Again, thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it.

MW
    Sporitica wrote:

For some reason, this thread has read like Denny's gave scholarships to anybody of hispanic heritage who applied.
    Absolutely not true. For some reason, unknown to me, you have conistently obfuscated most of the points some of us have attempted to make with extremely generic and unrelated responses. I congratulate you for winning the scholarship, however, the fact remains - you wouldn't have been eligible to compete had you been anything other than Hispanic, right? Please answer the question without the standard dance and song you've frequently given up to this point.

Now, let's assume you answered my question in the affirmative, and let's also assume your best friend in high school has exceeding your accomplishments academically and met all the scholarship qualifications with one exception, she doesn't have the so-called "Hispanic" heritage. Let's take this a step further and assume her family spends twice as much money at Denny's as yours does. With this scenario in play, please tell me why your best friend shouldn't have the opportunity to apply for the scholarship? Isn't denying her the opportunity to compete for the scholarship discrimination based solely on her ethnic background?

Main Entry: dis·crim·i·na·tion
    Function: noun
    Pronunciation: dis-"kri-m&-'nA-sh&n
    1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
    2 : the quality or power of finely distinguishing
    3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>
    Please don't attempt to insult my intelligence by comparing this to an athletic scholarship again. Athletic scholarships do not discriminate based on an individuals ethnic heritage. Okay, now you have the another opportunity to respond with answers that truly apply to the questions being asked.

FYI: The Federal government of the United States, Office of Management and Budget, defines a Hispanic as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you. And, I don't have a spanish surname either. I respect your feelings about having a problem with things that promote certain things. I understand, because I have a problem with anybody telling American Citizens or Corporations how they can spend their profits. I may not agree with how they spend them or to whom they give gifts. but I accept that it's our right as Americans to give our money away to whomever we want.

Now, tax money/federal funds? That's a whole different story. We have a right to decide how taxes get spent.
    Congratulations on your scholarship. You did earn it. I realize that.

I'm surprised you or your family want to stay in the US though. If I had relatives in Europe I'd be on the next bus out. I've had it w/white guilt...

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Sporitica wrote:

For some reason, this thread has read like Denny's gave scholarships to anybody of hispanic heritage who applied.
    Absolutely not true. For some reason, unknown to me, you have conistently obfuscated most of the points some of us have attempted to make with extremely generic and unrelated responses. I congratulate you for winning the scholarship, however, the fact remains - you wouldn't have been eligible to compete had you been anything other than Hispanic, right? Please answer the question without the standard dance and song you've frequently given up to this point.

Now, let's assume you answered my question in the affirmative, and let's also assume your best friend in high school has exceeding your accomplishments academically and met all the scholarship qualifications with one exception, she doesn't have the so-called "Hispanic" heritage. Let's take this a step further and assume her family spends twice as much money at Denny's as yours does. With this scenario in play, please tell me why your best friend shouldn't have the opportunity to apply for the scholarship? Isn't denying her the opportunity to compete for the scholarship discrimination based solely on her ethnic background?

[quote:4rd0uisq]Main Entry: dis·crim·i·na·tion
    Function: noun
    Pronunciation: dis-"kri-m&-'nA-sh&n
    1 a : the act of discriminating b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
    2 : the quality or power of finely distinguishing
    3 a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>
    Please don't attempt to insult my intelligence by comparing this to an athletic scholarship again. Athletic scholarships do not discriminate based on an individuals ethnic heritage. Okay, now you have the another opportunity to respond with answers that truly apply to the questions being asked.

FYI: The Federal government of the United States, Office of Management and Budget, defines a Hispanic as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[/quote:4rd0uisq]

We can't expect Sporitica to defend Denny's. He's the recipient of the scholarship, he doesn't set Denny's corporate policy.

It's obvious it's discrimination, but maybe not racism (since technically hispanics can be of many races). I won't eat at Denny's again.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Sporatica wrote: For some reason, this thread has read like Denny's gave scholarships to anybody of hispanic heritage who applied.

Hey MW,
    Ya know, there are so many reasons to get disqualified from a scholarship that it's almost humorous that these 36 awards have even become an issue worthy of debate. I think the bigger question is, why should I, or my hypothetical friend, have to hunt down scholarships in the first place? It's because even though State Univiersities are funded by our tax dollars, those tax dollars are being squandered away on illegal immigrants and their anchor babies.

Applying for a scholarship is, in essence, asking a company or foundation for a gift to help fund one's education. I don't agree with a lot of the qualifying criteria. But I am humble and realize that these company's are not obliged to give any money to anybody -- ever. I'm grateful that they make any effort whatsover.

Scholarships, in the truest sense of the word, are about academic merit. But, thats an ideal, not the reality. Most scholarships are not based on academic merit. I can't begin to tell you how discouraging it is to find a scholarship for which you meet every single criterion, except one. Believe me, I have been disqualified for residing in an unqualified state, not attending a specified school, not belonging to an approved club or organization, not being old enough, not being young enough, not being blind, not being black, being able to walk, not having family in the Elks Club, ad infinitum. But, I always bear in mind that a scholarship is a GIFT. I am not entitled to it.

1) You're right. My hypothetical friend wouldn't have qualified. However, a lot of people who did "qualify" didn't get the scholarship anyway. There are always more qualified (and unqualified) applicants than there are scholarships.

2) The scholarship wasn't specific to "customers" of Denny's. This point is moot.

3) Every scholarship "discriminates" against some subsection of the American public. It's the nature of scholarships. They are contests, all with differing requirements, that not everybody is going to qualify for. That's why recipients are referred to as "This Year's Winners."

4) I stand behind my comparison. IMHO, athletic scholarships are the most discriminatory of all. These scholarships take the "scholar" out of scholarship. It is discriminatory to give scholarships to the 2.0 GPA athlete who plays a mean tight-end, and deny the more qualified student with 4.0 GPA. Sure, we love our sports, but isn't this supposed to be about college and higher education? It really sucks that some people won't be able to afford to pursue their educational goals so that some athlete, who needs intensive tutoring in every subject, can play ball for the school.

5) Our free market system is not perfect, but it's better than most. Keeping that in mind, I believe it is against America's better interest, in the long run, to dictate how the private sector spends its money, with the exceptions of political donations and the funding of terrorism.

Side note: It's really wierd to put US political donations in the same sentence as funding terrorism.

Sam-I-Am Wrote:I 'm surprised you or your family want to stay in the US though. If I had relatives in Europe I'd be on the next bus out. I've had it w/white guilt...
    Sam, are you serious? Move to Europe? I'll never live anywhere else but America. This is my country, I love it, I'll fight for it, I'd die for it. America is my home and I will not, under any circumstances, abandon her. I wouldn't abandon my house if I came home and found squatters in my back yard. How could I treat my country with any less deference?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast