Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    dyehard wrote:

I don’t believe the Rutger girls really accepted his apology. I believe it was just a public relations thing. I would accept his apology when hell freeze over because I don’t believe his apology was sincere.
    [quote:cfoi2ipb]

[quote:cfoi2ipb]It was my understanding that the meeting between Imus and the Rutger girls was private. How did you get in? The only way you could possibly know if the girls actually accepted his apology and whether it was sincere or not is if you were actually there or talked with the girls yourself. Not that I really care, but don't you think you're blowing this all out of proportion? He said some stupid things and initially received a two week suspension for his actions. Personally, I think the suspension and private apology should have been punishment enough. Just my opinion.
    [/quote:cfoi2ipb][/quote:cfoi2ipb]

It was all over the news.

Players accept Imus apology
    By Associated Press
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 - Updated: 11:17 AM EST

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Rutgers women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer said yesterday the team had accepted radio host Don Imus’ apology. She said he deserves a chance to move on but hopes the furor his insult caused will be a catalyst for change.

“We, the Rutgers University Scarlet Knight basketball team, accept - accept - Mr. Imus’ apology,” Stringer read from a statement a day after the women met with Imus and his wife.

The team had just played for the NCAA national championship when Imus called the players “nappy-headed hos.” The statement set off a national debate about tolerance.

Imus was in the middle of a two-day radio fund-raiser when he was dropped by CBS. Yesterday, his wife took over the show and talked about meeting with the players.

“They gave us the opportunity to listen to what they had to say and why they’re hurting and how awful this is,” Deirdre Imus said.

Deirdre Imus said that the players have received hate e-mail, and she demanded it stop. “If you must send e-mail, send it to my husband,” not the team, she said. CBS fired Imus on Thursday from the radio show that he has hosted for nearly 30 years.

The show’s fund-raiser raised more than $1.3 million Thursday before Imus learned he had lost his job. The total had grown yesterday to more than $2.3 million for Tomorrows Children’s Fund, CJ Foundation for SIDS and the Imus Cattle Ranch for Kids.

Deirdre Imus, founder of a medical center that studies environmental hazards whose book “Green This!” came out this week, canceled a promotional tour “because of the enormous pressure that Deirdre and her family are under,” said her Simon & Schuster publicist.

http://news.bostonherald.com/national/v ... eid=194722

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    I don’t believe the Rutger girls really accepted his apology. I believe it was just a public relations thing. I would accept his apology when hell freeze over because I don’t believe his apology was sincere.
    Now read the title of your latest posted article and the words in it.

By Associated Press

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - Rutgers women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer said yesterday the team had accepted radio host Don Imus’ apology. She said he deserves a chance to move on but hopes the furor his insult caused will be a catalyst for change.

“We, the Rutgers University Scarlet Knight basketball team, accept - accept - Mr. Imus’ apology,” Stringer read from a statement a day after the women met with Imus and his wife.
    Either you think the Rutgers team is LYING, or your dissembling again.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys

By Associated Press

[quote:2lprcl9r]Either you think the Rutgers team is LYING, or your dissembling again.
    [/quote:2lprcl9r]

What I said is that I do not believe they really accepted his apology. What is is that you do not understand. And I do not believe he was sincere. That is my opinion. I heard the coach say they did but I am not a mind reader. I believe the whole thing was a public relation stunt for both parties.

Banned
    What I said is that I do not believe they really accepted his apology.
    If your belief is the truth, then they MUST'VE LIED in the news conference.
    And I do not believe he was sincere. That is my opinion. I heard the coach say they did but I am not a mind reader.
    How can you ASSUME it was 'insincere'? Were you there? It was OBVIOUSLY sincere enough for the Rutgers team, they publicly accepted it AFTER a 3 hour, CLOSED-DOOR meeting with him.

Banned

By Associated Press

[quote:19yzs0f8]Either you think the Rutgers team is LYING, or your dissembling again.
    What I said is that I do not believe they really accepted his apology. What is is that you do not understand. And I do not believe he was sincere. That is my opinion. I heard the coach say they did but I am not a mind reader. I believe the whole thing was a public relation stunt for both parties.[/quote:19yzs0f8]

This is yet another case of what you believe being at odds with what others have plainly stated. You are correct that you are no mindreader (because I don't believe in mindreaders), yet you seem to persist in claiming to have a better understanding of what one or another person is thinking when he or she says something than they do, given that you ascribe to them thoughts that are at odds with their own words. It's an odd habit...

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost

By Associated Press

[quote:3qgse8ax]Either you think the Rutgers team is LYING, or your dissembling again.
    What I said is that I do not believe they really accepted his apology. What is is that you do not understand. And I do not believe he was sincere. That is my opinion. I heard the coach say they did but I am not a mind reader. I believe the whole thing was a public relation stunt for both parties.
    This is yet another case of what you believe being at odds with what others have plainly stated. You are correct that you are no mindreader (because I don't believe in mindreaders), yet you seem to persist in claiming to have a better understanding of what one or another person is thinking when he or she says something than they do, given that you ascribe to them thoughts that are at odds with their own words. It's an odd habit...
    [/quote:3qgse8ax]

People do not alway state what they mean. Sometimes it is about what is in their best interest at the time. I was only voicing my opinion. I can believe what I want to about what I hear. I do not believe everything I hear.
    I did not claim to have a better understanding. You are trying to read something in my statement that is not their. It is nothing more than an opinion. Now let me hear yours. As if I have not heard it before.

It is obvious that lots of people do not feel that comedians jokes are racist because they pay to hear them and they buy their videos.
    Rappers sell millions of CDs and their concerts bring in lots of people that pay to hear them rap. People like to hear jokes and songs about race. If they didn't they would not pay to hear them. It is often what they want to say but is afraid to.
    Rappers and comedians can get away with talking about race. Many did not think Imus comments were funny and many withdrew their support and they were not black. So this is not a black or white issue. That should tell you something about his comments and that many thought they were racist. Are you calling them liars. It is just a matter of opinion. “One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure” Movies, rappers and comedians alike.

Imus called women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos"
    1. On the April 4 edition of MSNBC's Imus in the Morning, host Don Imus referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team, which is comprised of eight African-American and two white players, as "nappy-headed hos" immediately after the show's executive producer, Bernard McGuirk, called the team "hard-core hos." Later, former Imus sports announcer Sid Rosenberg, who was filling in for sportscaster Chris Carlin, said: "The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the [National Basketball Association's] Toronto Raptors."
    McGuirk referred to the NCAA women's basketball championship game between Rutgers and Tennessee as a "Spike Lee thing," adding, "The Jigaboos vs. The Wannabees -- that movie that he had." McGuirk was presumably referring to Lee's 1988 film, School Daze (Sony Pictures), though co-host Charles McCord misidentified it as "Do the Right Thing" (Criterion, June 1989).
    In a June 2, 1991, review of Lee's Jungle Fever (Universal Pictures), The New York Times described the rivalry depicted in School Daze:
    "School Daze," his 1988 satire on an all-black college similar to his own alma mater, Morehouse, turned the friction centered on color into a pointed burlesque. The college's women divided into two camps, the dark "Jigaboos" and the fair "Wannabees," who taunted each other in one scene with the epithets "pickaninny," "Barbie doll," "tar baby" and "high-yellow heifer."Rosenberg's comparison of the Rutgers women's basketball team to the Raptors recalled comments he made in June 2001 about Venus and Serena Williams, two African-American female professional tennis players. According to a November 20, 2001, Newsday article, Rosenberg said on the air: "One time, a friend, he says to me, 'Listen, one of these days you're gonna see Venus and Serena Williams in Playboy.' I said, 'You've got a better shot at National Geographic.' " Rosenberg also referred to Venus Williams as an "animal." Media Matters for America noted those comments when Rosenberg alluded to them on the March 28 edition of Imus.
    Also, on the March 30 edition of Public Broadcasting Service's The Charlie Rose Show, regarding the NCAA "March Madness" basketball tournament, host Charlie Rose asked CBS sportscaster Billy Packer: "Do you need a runner this Final Four? Because I could jump on a plane and I could be there." Packer replied: "You always fag out on that one for me. ... [Y]ou always say, 'Oh yeah, I'm going to be the runner,' then you never show up."
    In 2000, as noted by an article on ESPN.com, Packer made comments that were viewed as disparaging to women, when he said, "Since when do we let women control who gets into a men's basketball game? Why don't you go find a women's game to let people into?" Also, as noted in a March 4, 1996, article in The Washington Post, Packer "describ[ed] Georgetown guard Allen Iverson as a 'tough monkey' during the Hoyas' nationally televised game against Villanova" during that year's NCAA tournament. Packer later apologized for both comments.
    From the April 4 edition of MSNBC's Imus in the Morning:
    IMUS: So, I watched the basketball game last night between -- a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.
    ROSENBERG: Yeah, Tennessee won last night -- seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.
    IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --
    McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.
    IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.
    McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.
    IMUS: Yeah.
    McGUIRK: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes -- that movie that he had.
    IMUS: Yeah, it was a tough --
    McCORD: Do The Right Thing.
    McGUIRK: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    IMUS: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?
    ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.
    IMUS: Well, I guess, yeah.
    RUFFINO: Only tougher.
    McGUIRK: The [Memphis] Grizzlies would be more appropriate.
    From the March 30 edition of PBS' Charlie Rose:
    ROSE: Do you need a runner this Final Four? Because I could jump on a plane, and I could be there.
    PACKER: You always fag out on that one for me. You know, you never -- you know, you always say, "Oh yeah, I'm going to be the runner," then you never show up. But I'm sure they can find a place for you. You've got all the connections in the world. You can go ahead and be a runner any place you want to.
    —R.C.
    A tip from reader M.M. contributed to this item. Thanks and keep them coming.

Comments (80) Show
    1 - 20 | Next
    I smell a rehab moment approaching...
    - draftedin68 / Wednesday April 4, 2007 06:05:05 PM EST
    - Reply to this comment / Flag this comment
    When Mike Lupica used to appear on Imus' show when it was only carried locally on WNBC-AM in NYC, he used to refer to comments like that as the product of Imus's "vodka brain cells".
    I wonder how many cells the I Man has left nowadays.....
    - wzwriter / Wednesday April 4, 2007 06:09:53 PM EST
    Sadly Mike Lupica still appears on this hatefest. So did Chris Dodd this morning. So do politicans such as
    John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Senator Schumer, Harold Ford Jr, John McCain, Senator McCaskill, Senator Biden.Whan will these politicians stop appearing on this racist show?
    - DorisRussell / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:04:46 PM EST
    When they stop pandering to the racist audience.
    - redking75687 / Thursday April 5, 2007 01:18:16 AM EST
    For all you who believe in prayer, you better start praying like hell for the Iman, I'm sure there are some uncles, grand fathers, cousins, boyfriends, fathers, mothers, sisters etc. who will take offense at "That's some nappy-headed hos there" when refering to some exceptionaly dedicated, talented and smart student atheletes.
    - Pithaughn / Wednesday April 4, 2007 06:26:34 PM EST
    Why does that demented slab of badly maintained leather still have an audience?
    It's amazing, when he's not saying something as mind-bendingly stupid as his "nappy-headed-ho's" remark, every time i have tuned into his waste-of-wattage-tv-time-and-bandwidth show, he's as interesting as listening to water evaporate
    I say this because the sound of paint drying is actually more interesting than Imus
    - the crapture / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:08:02 PM EST
    So I guess these means that NO Democrats will be appearing on Imus ever again. And IF they do MMFA will call them out for it, the way they did when McCain appeared on Beck's program.
    Yeah right, well I believe in the Easter Bunny...oops not politically correct--might offend someone...the Spring Bunny too
    - jeter2 / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:08:19 PM EST
    THIS means.
    - jeter2 / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:08:59 PM EST
    Look for that on MRC. MMFA highlights conservative misinformation.
    - Pragmatic Liberal / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:59:23 PM EST
    I hope they do. And since you're (understandably) worried that they won't, why don't you preempt this and e-mail MMFA. I'm sure they won't turn a deaf ear.
    - Kaleun / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:34:06 PM EST
    Cool it with the PC War on Easter bunk, Jeter. That bunny didn't die on a cross for us to be called the Spring Bunny.
    - HuntingtonBeachLefty / Wednesday April 4, 2007 11:03:52 PM EST
    I'm really sorry that I've got to be the one to trample on the tenants of your faith. Here's a link that will put to rest your belief in the Resurrection of The Bunny.
    [link to thepoodleanddogblog.typepad.com]
    - worrierking / Thursday April 5, 2007 07:50:33 AM EST
    I am surprised that ANY politician appears on Imus. The guy is rude, crude, and a self-described biggest ahole on the planet and yet politicians line up to kiss his butt. Go figure. It might be interesting to see the ratio of conservatives to liberals on his show.
    I think you are confused on political correctness, I think in your Bunny example religious correctness is more appropriate. Speech surrounding religion get conservative Christian armpit hairs in a twit but for example I don't know of any political correctness campaigns against Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas. Thats not to say a new movement could not be started called called CPVC (Christian Victums for Political Correctness). BReilly could be the chairman. Placing CPVC on hats, sweatshirts, mouse pads, etc could be a great new marketing opportunity for Bill.
    - ajwan / Thursday April 5, 2007 04:35:46 PM EST
    Jeter,
    You are right. Of course, MMFA will never comment on these idiotic Democrats who keep going on Imus, but I am glad to see you bring it up here on occasion. These Democrats should not go on Imus anymore. Imus is worthless.
    - open_mind / Friday April 6, 2007 01:13:17 AM EST
    I will never understand how MSNBC continues airing Imus when his show promotes some of the most hateful, sexist, homophobic, racist garbage imaginable! I stopped watching the show long ago because McGuirk and his disdain for anything that's black. Imus gives McGuirk free rein to air out his hatred towards blacks, and in typical conservative fashion -- despite McGuirk pretending to be a free-thinker -- he'll pass it off as satire; whoever offended is being a liberal, politically correct sissy.I don't mind it when whites make jokes about blacks and poke fun at the stereotypes; at least when Sarah Silverman, Howard Stern, Lisa Lampanelli and the great Don Winkles, joke about blacks, you never sense this arrogance, ignorance and disdain in their statements. There's a deep appreciation for blacks and our culture (and no Hip Hop isn't our only culture, it's a sub-culture that stems from black urban youth).
    With Imus and his team -- especially the vile McGuirk -- there's this pompous, elitist, "exclusively for whites only" attitude that comes with their remarks. They may consider themselves free-thinkers because they trash the Bush Administration and this senseless war he has gotten us to, but they’re very calculating to the sense they know exactly what to say and do to reach a particularly demographic that enjoys racist remarks dressed as social satire. Its the same tactics Rush Limbaugh and Weiner Savage employs
    Imus, McGuirk and Rosenberg go far beyond racially insensitive satire; they're hateful, condescending, ignorant, destructive remarks that lack irony, grace or intelligence. What’s even more outrageous is that McGuirk wouldn’t DARE make these same remarks when there’s a black guest on the show. McGuirk enjoys bragging how he was raised in an all-black urban area and how he survived, but he’s sure spineless when there’s a black guest on the show.
    - Preston_P / Wednesday April 4, 2007 07:31:46 PM EST
    My bad, I mean to say "the great Don Rickles" than Wrinkles. Damn, talk about a Freudian slip!
    - Preston_P / Wednesday April 4, 2007 10:14:32 PM EST
    I guess this just shows that their mainly corporate/yuppie audience is filled with far-right racist jerks. Seems to be the talk radio crowd. The liberals are all out grooving to tunes in their cars while the right-wing orcs are all drooling over some sociopathic talkshow host bashing minorities and insulting everyone from the safety of their driver's seat.
    - redking75687 / Thursday April 5, 2007 01:24:08 AM EST
    Does anyone here realize what today is? This is the day that MLK was shot and killed.
    For these slimeballs to spew this overt racist garbage today is obviously a provocation.
    Colon-'el' Campbell: you have every right to be a racist, ungentlemanly oaf, and mankind has the right to regard you as such. I suggest you return to whatever cave you came from.
    - Cartoon Messiah / Wednesday April 4, 2007 08:05:52 PM EST
    This has me shaking, I'm so angry. Don Imus thinks our athletic daughters should be held to a different standard than their male counterparts. Evidently, our daughters are there, not to play the game, but to turn on old white men. If they do not live up to this sexual standard, Mr. Imus is there to casually remind them that they are ugly whores- and he will tell our black daughters that their hair in its natural state is ugly, and that they are ugly whores. Sickening. I've emailed MSNBC, Oprah Winfrey and several blogs- Imus and Co. need to see that they can't say these things without feeling the logical, negative consequence.
    - christies473707 / Wednesday April 4, 2007 08:33:38 PM EST
    Hear, hear! These comments were not only racial insults, but misogynistic as well. How dare these men act as if women are only put on this earth to be attractive to them?!
    - YellowDogDemocrat / Thursday April 5, 2007 10:40:10 AM EST
    1 - 20 | Next
    Post a new comment
    You must be a registered user to post and flag comments on this site.
    Please Login or Sign up to post in this foru

http://mediamatters.org/items/200704040011

Take a break, DYE.

You're going over the top now.

The mods can look this thread over and give their decision whether or not it's bordering on race baiting now or has gone over the line.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I've about had my fill of this thread.

Dyehard, you continue to be unwilling to classify Imus as an entertainer, even though that is, or was, his job description. In that respect he's no different than Howard Stern.

You continue to base your statements on 'what you believe', even though your 'beliefs' don't square with the statements of the actual people involved.

This thread is very close to being locked.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast