Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Me too, noillegalimmigrationannie, and yes Johnb I do remember those days EastTxDude take that energy and put it into our cause to save our country from the invasion of illegal aliens. Non-smokers got non-smoking laws and high taxes that go towards what we will never know and they still complain. Maybe you have too much free time at work to let these smokers rankle you. If you really want to effect change at work become a manager then you can really change things.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

EastTxDude take that energy and put it into our cause to save our country from the invasion of illegal aliens. Non-smokers got non-smoking laws and high taxes that go towards what we will never know and they still complain. Maybe you have too much free time at work to let these smokers rankle you. If you really want to effect change at work become a manager then you can really change things.
    I have done my part in supporting the cause... And I have a right to voice my opinion about other things aside from just the "illegal immigration issue."...

I am a 51 year old smoker. My parents were non-smokers so I can't blame them.

I agree that just because you smoke does not make you a slacker at work. I could out work most young non-smokers in a heart beat. It took less time for me to take a couple drags off my cigarette than it did for them to get their butts off the cell phone making their evening party plans.

I remember the days when you could smoke at your desk and in those days I didn't need to take a break coz I could smoke and type at the same time. I could look out over my station at a restaurant and be there in a heartbeat instead of hiding out by the back dumpster not knowing what was going on. I had alot less colds and stuff coz I wasn't forced to stand out in sub-zero weather or rain storms to catch a couple hits. I smoked less coz I could take a couple hits and put it out.....instead of speed smoking an entire cigarette.

As a person with allergies......I'm with the perfume issue. Boy there are certain fragrences that will just about put me in respiratory failure. "Beautiful" is a death sentence to me. Not to mention certain cleaning products. Dust, plants, certain paint, soaps, grass cutting, pollen.......to name a few of the 410 I have. Funny though......smoke isn't one of them.

Even though I don't advocate smoking......it's gotten unjustly blamed for the ills of the world. There are a host of other unhealty things out there that also affect other people. But I'm not going to outlaw mowing your lawn or wearing "Beautiful" cologne (even though I'd love to.) I'm not going to sue you because your house isn't dusted well enough or theirs an air spritzer in a public restroom that spritzes a fragrance I can't tolerate. Or that the soap in the bathroom is one I can't handle. I've been in agony because they are resurfacing the road in front of my house and I can't handle the dust and smell of the tar. But guess what? I just have to deal with it. This isn't Eden and knowingly or un-knowingly there are a host of unhealthy things out there. I'm NOT the reason for them all just because I smoke.

Trust me......I'd be more afraid of the illegals sneezing in my face than my second hand smoke.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Smokers have also endured artillery bombardments that lasted weeks, and plowed down machine gun nests. Other smokers have worked 15 hour work days and their fingers to the bone with one of their few pleasures of the day being a few draws of nicotine.

Tobacco consumption has been a part of our society since the founding of America.

While I do not encourage smoking, I do not like to see smokers described as bad people or parasites because they are not. In NC, tobacco money built most of our schools and Universities including our state legislature annex.

Some of the most renowned figures in US and Global History were flagrant smokers.

W
    I agree.

For better or worse, it's integral to American culture, and has been a part of this contient long before settlers started describing this land mass as "America."

The demonization of people who enjoy a particular vice-especially when far more risky, parlous behavior is given the government seal of approval, simply because it is "politically correct"-has to stop.

Loudon Wainwright III, and Stephen King have scathingly satirized the anti-smoking, anti-freedom zeal, but the truth is that I can't find much humor in the negation of liberties that have gradually, but inexorably, been stripped away from American citizens.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

I smoke, have smoked for almost 40 yrs, I won't apologize to anybody for it! Now my government is little by little taking away my right to do what makes me happy, people, esp ex smokers they are the worst, are happy about this, i say to you, someday it will be you the governmet steps on, some of your rights will get taken away, I won;t be there to laugh and clap when that day comes and you lose some of your freedoms, I will be there very worried, as our government is getting way to big for its britches and wants to demand we conform to what they want us to as it is only for our own good! Doesnt matter more and more rights are being taken away, us smokers we have seen that for a long time, the rest of you will see it when it happens to you! I can see it already happening all over again with "junk food" now the government wants to step on you a little bit that is how it starts a little at a time until those freedoms are gone!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I smoke, have smoked for almost 40 yrs, I won't apologize to anybody for it! Now my government is little by little taking away my right to do what makes me happy, people, esp ex smokers they are the worst, are happy about this, i say to you, someday it will be you the governmet steps on, some of your rights will get taken away, I won;t be there to laugh and clap when that day comes and you lose some of your freedoms, I will be there very worried, as our government is getting way to big for its britches and wants to demand we conform to what they want us to as it is only for our own good! Doesnt matter more and more rights are being taken away, us smokers we have seen that for a long time, the rest of you will see it when it happens to you! I can see it already happening all over again with "junk food" now the government wants to step on you a little bit that is how it starts a little at a time until those freedoms are gone!
    Good for you, Nittygritty. I too am a smoker (mentioned elsewhere here) and I also remember a long time ago when smokers could usually smoke at their desks and on the job.

Now, I do have sympathy with those bothered by secondhand smoke. However, if they are going to ban secondhand smoke and demand employed smokers stand out in back of dumpsters in all types of weather, they also need to ban secondhand scent (because of us allergy sufferers) as well as secondhand noise (because of annoying gum chewers. Forgot to mention earlier in my rants about gum chewers that another huge annoyance is getting gum stuck to the bottom of shoes - this is probably the worst of all gum chewing habits, i.e. those who spit their nasty gum on a pavement or floor for someone to step in. YUCK!).
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    Forgot to mention earlier in my rants about gum chewers that another huge annoyance is getting gum stuck to the bottom of shoes - this is probably the worst of all gum chewing habits, i.e. those who spit their nasty gum on a pavement or floor for someone to step in. YUCK!).
    Yeah, I despise those people more than I would hate even the most intrusive, obnoxious smoker.

One of them ruined my old camo coat-jacket, which I had inherited from my older brother and sister.

Back in high school-this must have been in the Fall-I sat down with my friends at the school library, like I usually did, only to discover that someone had placed a nice, gooey wad of blue gum on the front of the chair I decided to sit on.

That gum stain was there for years, and only grew more embeded with the passage of time.

I had to get rid of the coat eventually-it was over fifteen years old by that time-but it still ticks me off.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

First of all, I've never worked in a place where all the non-smokers follow company policy to a T 100% of the time. Makes your argument against smokers moot.

Why? Because smokers being unproductive and a burden loses its ground when you look at the non-smokers call in sick all the time, consistently come in to work late, frequently leave work early, take extra breaks, go on extended lunch breaks, or hang out in the non-smoking break room. Or the non-smokers who are drug addicts and alcoholics who end up in rehab with the company picking up the bill.

You mentioned that smokers don't always clock out to go smoke. So, if they don't clock out, then the only way you would know if they are smoking is if you are checking up on them. Either you run down to the smoke room to look, or maybe you call around, perhaps you run around to everyone's desk? How much time are you wasting by keeping tabs on the smokers instead of doing your own work?

If you don't check up on them, then you have no idea if it's a case of something related to work, maybe running out to their car to get something, or simply someone using the restroom.

I'm not saying all smokers are innocent. Just seems to me perhaps the complaint should be about slackers in general, not just smokers.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydrake
    First of all, I've never worked in a place where all the non-smokers follow company policy to a T 100% of the time. Makes your argument against smokers moot.
    I fail to see the logic in your statement. And basically, your trying to excuse the behavor of smokers and accusing non-smokers of committing infringements of some kind themselves, when this whole topic concerns smokers.

Why? Because smokers being unproductive and a burden loses its ground when you look at the non-smokers call in sick all the time, consistently come in to work late, frequently leave work early, take extra breaks, go on extended lunch breaks, or hang out in the non-smoking break room. Or the non-smokers who are drug addicts and alcoholics who end up in rehab with the company picking up the bill.
    I work in a company of around 200 people and can say that smokers call in sick, come in late, etc just as often as the non-smokers.. oh, and by the way, this means your point is MOOT...

I find it rediculous that you would accuse non-smokers of being alcoholics, drug addicts, etc. What evidence do you have to show non-smokers are anymore likely to do these types of things vs smokers? Infact, isn't it true that most smokers are drinkers? Gee, wonder how many smokers are alcoholics...

As for companies picking up the tab, do you think smokers on a company insurance plan saves money? Nope, it raises the insurance premiums. So your point is --- MOOT.

You mentioned that smokers don't always clock out to go smoke. So, if they don't clock out, then the only way you would know if they are smoking is if you are checking up on them. Either you run down to the smoke room to look, or maybe you call around, perhaps you run around to everyone's desk? How much time are you wasting by keeping tabs on the smokers instead of doing your own work?
    I know they don't clock out b/c they have to pass by me every time they go on break. But appreciate the long-drawn out rambling you supplied to show your true colors.

I'm not saying all smokers are innocent. Just seems to me perhaps the complaint should be about slackers in general, not just smokers
    Seems to me smokers are more likely to be slackers than non-smokers.

I had to throuw this in.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst ... rto22.html

World's oldest man said no to drink, yes to smoking

August 22, 2006

ISABELA, Puerto Rico -- Eat healthy and avoid alcohol.

That's the advice given Monday by the world's oldest person, Emiliano Mercado del Toro, as he celebrated his 115th birthday.

''I never damaged my body with liquor,'' said Mercado, who quit a 76-year smoking habit when he was 90.

An ambulance carried him to an outdoor plaza where family, friends and the local mayor gathered for a party. He was serenaded by his favorite performer, Iris Chacon, a well known Puerto Rican singer who crooned a birthday tune set to mariachi music.

Mercado was a boy when the United States seized Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898. He was declared the world's oldest person by the Guinness Book of World Records last year, after 115-year-old Dutchwoman Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper died in her sleep in August.

Mercado is also the oldest living veteran. He didn't see action because, called up in 1918, he was two months into U.S. Army training when World War I ended Nov. 11, 1918.

He was married three times but never had children.

AP
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast