Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW
    I'm sure theres a lot of hard working smokers like you mentioned, but you can't deny there are a lot of smokers with poor work ethics..
    There are also a lot of non-smokers with poor work ethics, so exactly is your point? I'm a non-smoker, but even I have a hard time understanding what smoking has to do with work ethics.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by "EastTX_Dude[quote
    I'm a smoker but a courteous one. I don't even smoke inside my own home and rarely in my car. It's been some time since I was employed but I remember rarely taking a break for a cigarette because I didn't want most people to know that I smoked. During my 8-hour day the only cigarette I usually had was when I went off by myself on my lunch break.
    I have a roommate who smokes, I don't allow him to smoke in my house.. One thing is the smell, plus it irratates my eyes... But also, it's a fire hazard, one I've seen come up many times with apartment complexes my mom overseas as a regional manager. And I've seen first hand what a careless smoker can do when not paying attention and set their home on fire.. Not just their home, but in some cases, other people's homes as well.

As for you not wanting others to know you don't smoke, that seems very polite of you in a way, but not necessary.. I think u should do as u please and not feel shamed for it.. It does make me wonder if you live/work in a area that doesn't have many smokers and thats the reason for your comment.[/quote]

I messed up with the "quotes" to separate our communications, but here is my response below:

Actually, I live in NC which I think is a very tolerant state for smokers compared to many others. At least cigarettes are $2.00 or a little less expensive per pack than they are in NY when I was visiting family recently. Lucky for me I brought enough cigs to last until I returned to NC.

I did for a while feel ashamed because of all the anti-smoking hysteria and nazis but no longer do and today will light one up in public anywhere I'm allowed to. Going through a major traumatic life event stressed me out enough that I don't care anymore, plus increased me from years of being a 1/2 or less pack per day smoker (I'm talking many years at this low level) to a one plus pack per day smoker.

I should not have to apologize to anyone for my "bad" habits if I don't inflict them on others, plus they don't inflict their bad habits on me. As my first post mentioned, there's more than one annoying and/or filthy habit around. Even though secondhand smoke has received much publicity, what about another annoying habit people have that causes stress of the mind. Having to listen to obnoxious gum chewers is a drag. So is having to breath in strong perfume odors. I have actually had asthmatic-like attacks being near someone in a store, workplace or wherever who was heavily doused with some strong fragrance. These attacks start with a throat tickle, then one of my eyes starts turning bright red and tearing profusely. Then, comes the choking and coughing attacks that are downright embarassing. They are so strong at times that I have or nearly have vomited. To hold back the vomit, I have to not talk and repeatedly swallow. Having water nearby helps too as well as tissues to wipe my runny eye and nose that always clogs up during these attacks.

I can understand your annoyance of secondhand smoke but think you can be a little more compassionate. After all, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances to humans. As far as I know, gum and perfume have no addictive qualities that are physical.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

If we could smoke at our desks again we'd be more productive!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    I'm only 28, so really can't imagine what that was like back in the day.. but suspect more people smoked back then they do now..

Quote Originally Posted by EastTX_Dude
    I'm only 28, so really can't imagine what that was like back in the day.. but suspect more people smoked back then they do now..
    When I was 28 yrs old illegal immigration was hardly a problem either. Nothing stays the same.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

All I know is that if I'm sitting or standing near someone smacking their yucky filthy gum, I want to light up a cigarette in the worst possible way. I'm going to start saying something too. For example, in June my computer was down for more than a week and one day I got stuck next to a gum smacker at a local library internet station. My teen daughter was with me and seeing I was becoming very irate and knowing I would likely say something, she asked to change seats with me. My daughter is like her father in that she hates arguments and especially public confrontations. After our library visit she explained that woman smacking her gum was getting on her nerves too, but she'd rather sit next to her and hear that than have her mother (me) comment and make a scene. I would have too - made a scene.

Oh! And EastTX-Dude, you're only 28. What! Do you think the rest of here are all old farts?
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

noillegal,
    You made me smile talking about your gum cracking thing because that has always driven me bonkers too. Years ago at my workplace a girl behind me cracked away on her gum. Was driving me nuts. I turned around and asked if she could please stop cracking her gum. She told me I should just block it out. That made me mad so I said "I wish I could block you out." Then I asked to be moved away from her which I was. I guess it doesn't bother some people but it is one of my pet peeves too.

Can tell today wasn't much of a news day re our usual subject if we're talking about smoking and gum cracking. Why was this thread started anyway?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    All I know is that if I'm sitting or standing near someone smacking their yucky filthy gum, I want to light up a cigarette in the worst possible way. I'm going to start saying something too. For example, in June my computer was down for more than a week and one day I got stuck next to a gum smacker at a local library internet station. My teen daughter was with me and seeing I was becoming very irate and knowing I would likely say something, she asked to change seats with me. My daughter is like her father in that she hates arguments and especially public confrontations. After our library visit she explained that woman smacking her gum was getting on her nerves too, but she'd rather sit next to her and hear that than have her mother (me) comment and make a scene. I would have too - made a scene.

Oh! And EastTX-Dude, you're only 28. What! Do you think the rest of here are all old farts?
    smacking gum is not something I come across or perhaps notice.. I do think if someone if smacking their gum a lot, it makes them look rather stupid.. If you ever watch Cops or even sports events, you see a lot of gum smacking.. I think they do it to look cool or something. But same can be said for those who smoke as well.

And yea, I'm guessing most everyone here is older than me. I can't imagine there's too many 20 somethings here. But perhaps we should do a poll someday and see what the age range is on ALIPAC.

[quote=EastTX_Dude]
    Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    Quote Originally Posted by "EastTX_Dude":39gsxgue
    [/quote:39gsxgue]

Okay! All old farts over the age of 40 or should we make this 30 because EastTX-Dude is 28. Stand up and be counted. Me, I'm over 40 but less than 50.

Good going, CSM!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast