Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Trump Asked Top Aides to Review Whether to Rejoin TPP, Senator Says

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

  1. #21
    Senior Member dman1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,631
    I bet if you asked Trump tomorrow what his position is on TPP he would give you a completely different answer depending on who he last spoke with. Starting to wonder at 70 if dementia is starting to set in like you know it has for Pelosi, Mcshame on all the other old head idiots that run our government.
    MW likes this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,668
    No, he's trying to fix our country and doing a great job at it, too. I'm a protectionist, always have been, but I support international trade, so long as the rules protect our industries and jobs operating in the United States. You know whether it is by the trade balance for manufactured goods. If we're consistently in trade deficits and by a lot, then the rules don't work and you have to either change the agreement or use tariffs to regulate it back to a trade balance or trade surplus in goods.

    The services portion is irrelevant because it's just sales fees mostly for insurance and bank businesses and doesn't impact enough jobs to matter, it brings in income, but not enough on any level to offset the loss of trade in manufactured goods because there's no multiplier, which is why Trump focuses on the goods portion. Then FACT CHECK says he lied. No he didn't lie, he told you the truth about the numbers that matter.

    Trump describes himself as a free trader, when it's "fair trade" and more recently he's moved to the term "reciprocal trade", because "fair trade" has other meanings in the globalist world, that he doesn't like or want . He doesn't use the term "protectionist" because it's unpopular and they (enemies) erroneously call you an isolationist xenophobe, which we aren't, we're protectionists. And Trump is by all definitions a protectionist and has been his whole adult life.

    Fixing this 60 year disaster is a big task, very complicated, very technical and at the same time very political. It's going to take some time, finesse, maneuvering and negotiation but he'll fix it, it's the primary reason he ran for President.
    Last edited by Judy; 04-13-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  3. #23
    Senior Member Beezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    19,013
    HE PROMISED

    ONE ON ONE TRADE!!!!
    MW likes this.
    TO BECOME AN AMERICAN YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR VALUES ...NOT YOUR LOCATION

    STAY HOME AND BUILD AMERICA ON YOUR SOIL

  4. #24
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    HE PROMISED

    ONE ON ONE TRADE!!!!
    No, dear Beezer, he didn't. What he promised was to withdraw from the TPP as it stood when he took office. He did that. He promised to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw and move to one on one's with Canada and Mexico. He promised to do a one on one with any country that left the EU, the Brits left, and as soon as their phase out is complete in late 2019 or early 2020, then he'll negotiate a one on one with them, or any other country in the future that leaves the EU. Until then we deal with the EU trade agreement until he would decide the break all hell loose in Europe and try to renegotiate or withdraw from that one. He promised to do a new trade deal with South Korea and has done that, it will be signed after we know what's going on with North Korea. He promised to do a new trade deal with Japan, but they're playing it tough because they're part of TPP, but hopefully we'll succeed at the end of the day with a new one one with Japan. He promised to stop China's unfair trade practices, he's doing that, using tariffs and negotiation, some good progress has been made with some promises to the world to reduce tariffs on imports into China and easing restrictions on doing business in China which could address the intellectual property issues as well. We'll see.

    Trump said he prefers bi-lateral agreements, the one on ones, but he may not be able to get those everywhere and if the multi-lateral deals are good for US, then it makes no difference. CAFTA is an example of a multi-lateral that's good for US at least for now. And there's probably a couple to 3 others that are.

    Trade deals are very complicated because they impact every single product and service we buy and sell, so they take a lot of time to a) figure out what you want and b) leverage and negotiate to get it.

    Just give him time to do something no one else has done or even tried to do in 60 years.

    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  5. #25
    MW
    MW is offline
    Senior Member MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    No, dear Beezer, he didn't. What he promised was to withdraw from the TPP as it stood when he took office. He did that. He promised to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw and move to one on one's with Canada and Mexico. He promised to do a one on one with any country that left the EU, the Brits left, and as soon as their phase out is complete in late 2019 or early 2020, then he'll negotiate a one on one with them, or any other country in the future that leaves the EU. Until then we deal with the EU trade agreement until he would decide the break all hell loose in Europe and try to renegotiate or withdraw from that one. He promised to do a new trade deal with South Korea and has done that, it will be signed after we know what's going on with North Korea. He promised to do a new trade deal with Japan, but they're playing it tough because they're part of TPP, but hopefully we'll succeed at the end of the day with a new one one with Japan. He promised to stop China's unfair trade practices, he's doing that, using tariffs and negotiation, some good progress has been made with some promises to the world to reduce tariffs on imports into China and easing restrictions on doing business in China which could address the intellectual property issues as well. We'll see.

    Trump said he prefers bi-lateral agreements, the one on ones, but he may not be able to get those everywhere and if the multi-lateral deals are good for US, then it makes no difference. CAFTA is an example of a multi-lateral that's good for US at least for now. And there's probably a couple to 3 others that are.

    Trade deals are very complicated because they impact every single product and service we buy and sell, so they take a lot of time to a) figure out what you want and b) leverage and negotiate to get it.

    Just give him time to do something no one else has done or even tried to do in 60 years.

    Defending Trump is not what is called for here. We need to hold his feet to the fire and hold him to his promises!

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  6. #26
    Senior Member dman1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    No, dear Beezer, he didn't. What he promised was to withdraw from the TPP as it stood when he took office. He did that. He promised to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw and move to one on one's with Canada and Mexico. He promised to do a one on one with any country that left the EU, the Brits left, and as soon as their phase out is complete in late 2019 or early 2020, then he'll negotiate a one on one with them, or any other country in the future that leaves the EU. Until then we deal with the EU trade agreement until he would decide the break all hell loose in Europe and try to renegotiate or withdraw from that one. He promised to do a new trade deal with South Korea and has done that, it will be signed after we know what's going on with North Korea. He promised to do a new trade deal with Japan, but they're playing it tough because they're part of TPP, but hopefully we'll succeed at the end of the day with a new one one with Japan. He promised to stop China's unfair trade practices, he's doing that, using tariffs and negotiation, some good progress has been made with some promises to the world to reduce tariffs on imports into China and easing restrictions on doing business in China which could address the intellectual property issues as well. We'll see.

    Trump said he prefers bi-lateral agreements, the one on ones, but he may not be able to get those everywhere and if the multi-lateral deals are good for US, then it makes no difference. CAFTA is an example of a multi-lateral that's good for US at least for now. And there's probably a couple to 3 others that are.

    Trade deals are very complicated because they impact every single product and service we buy and sell, so they take a lot of time to a) figure out what you want and b) leverage and negotiate to get it.

    Just give him time to do something no one else has done or even tried to do in 60 years.

    He has done some decent things on China and he did end TPP for now. The rest of the trade stuff I will admit the jury is still out. I'm taking a wait and see approach although the TPP talk yesterday really pissed me off. Why even entertain that monstrosity? He has been another Bush on immigration, a total disaster. Sorry, no other way to spin it. I'm so over the DACA obsession that to be honest, if he talked like that during the campaign, I would have said FU I'm not voting for that. All of us would have. DACA should have been repealed as promises and never to be brought up again. Then he wants to talk about he has heart for them? How about having heart for those that have been murdered by the DACA? How about those angel mom's he stabbed in the back?

    Ok I better stop because commenting further about this liar is really making my blood boil.
    Judy and MW like this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member dman1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Defending Trump is not what is called for here. We need to hold his feet to the fire and hold him to his promises!
    AMEN!!!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,668
    Quote Originally Posted by dman1200 View Post
    He has done some decent things on China and he did end TPP for now. The rest of the trade stuff I will admit the jury is still out. I'm taking a wait and see approach although the TPP talk yesterday really pissed me off. Why even entertain that monstrosity? He has been another Bush on immigration, a total disaster. Sorry, no other way to spin it. I'm so over the DACA obsession that to be honest, if he talked like that during the campaign, I would have said FU I'm not voting for that. All of us would have. DACA should have been repealed as promises and never to be brought up again. Then he wants to talk about he has heart for them? How about having heart for those that have been murdered by the DACA? How about those angel mom's he stabbed in the back?

    Ok I better stop because commenting further about this liar is really making my blood boil.
    LOL!! I understand, but just in the heat of it all please remember, there was no one else to vote for, no one else who would have done anything for us on trade or immigration, let alone all the other stuff, and the bottom line is:

    He ended DAPA, Expanded DACA and DACA 2012. The only reason DACA 2012 is still going on is because of the courts, not Trump. We all knew there would be a court case on DACA 2012 and it will go all the way to the US Supreme Court. When the court rules it will be permanent law in the US, whatever that ruling turns out to be. Given the history of the US Supreme Court on immigration issues, this case has a high probability of being very disappointing to us, so there was good logic to try to find another way to deal with it through Congress. US Supreme Court Rulings not only bind the executive branch, they tie the hands of Congress as well.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  9. #29
    MW
    MW is offline
    Senior Member MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    LOL!! I understand, but just in the heat of it all please remember, there was no one else to vote for, no one else who would have done anything for us on trade or immigration, let alone all the other stuff, and the bottom line is:

    He ended DAPA, Expanded DACA and DACA 2012. The only reason DACA 2012 is still going on is because of the courts, not Trump. We all knew there would be a court case on DACA 2012 and it will go all the way to the US Supreme Court. When the court rules it will be permanent law in the US, whatever that ruling turns out to be. Given the history of the US Supreme Court on immigration issues, this case has a high probability of being very disappointing to us, so there was good logic to try to find another way to deal with it through Congress. US Supreme Court Rulings not only bind the executive branch, they tie the hands of Congress as well.
    More obfuscation.

    Trump did not end DACA as promised. He promised to end it when it took office. He has fought tooth and nail in doing everything he could to keep DACA alive. The only reason DACA ended was because of the partnership headed by the Texas Attorney General that threatened the program through the courts. Jeff Sessions refusal to defend the program boxed Trump into a corner and left him with no option but to end DACA. Even then Trump continued to fight for DACA by offering legislatures 6 months to come up with an amnesty program for DACA membetrs. He has even be quoted as saying he "may" continue the program after the 6 month deadline. Hell, he even offered amnesty for 1.8 million illegals that would have covered more than just the illegals already in the program.

    If Trump would have kept his promise and ended DACA immediately as promised the whole mess would probably be in our rear-view mirror by now.

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  10. #30
    MW
    MW is offline
    Senior Member MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,684
    Trump's embarrassing about-face on TPP

    Matthew Walther

    Ron Sachs-Pool/Getty Images

    April 12, 2018


    On January 23, 2017, the third day of his presidency, Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Speaking to an audience of cheering union leaders, the president heaped scorn on "ridiculous trade deals that have taken everybody out of our country." A few days later in a rally on Capitol Hill Bernie Sanders and Rosa DeLauro, two of our greatest living public servants, celebrated the move as a victory for American workers.

    Trump's first achievement was also in a real sense his last. And now we know that he didn't mean it.
    On Thursday it was reported that Trump has asked Larry Kudlow, the former CNBC financial news host who makes his colleague Jim "Mad Money" Kramer look like a model of sagacity and reserve, to seek re-entry to TPP. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), a confirmed #NeverTrump Republican who rarely encounters an actual Trump policy with which he actually disagrees, cheered the news.

    Except it actually wasn't news. In January at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Trump told a reporter from CNBC that he had a "big story" for him: "I would do TPP if we made a much better deal than we had." Sooner or later, in between bouts of denouncing Russian policy in Syria, declaring and withdrawing from non-existent "trade wars," insisting upon and feigning horror at the idea of deporting millions of young people brought to this country as children, Trump was going to do an about-face on TPP.

    Trump's decision to reverse his most significant economic policy decision is not news any more than it is "news" that he doesn't actually care about workers, declining or stagnant wages, mass unemployment, the financialization of the economy, the disappearance of the working and middle classes, or any of the other high ideals crafted for him by his learned apologists. His good ideas (pulling out of TPP and, if possible, NAFTA, single-payer health care, raising taxes on the rich, spending trillions on infrastructure, not rushing into wars in the Middle East on the basis of flimsy or non-existent evidence), his bad ones (building a 2,000 mile-long wall across our southern border, kicking out the DREAMers), and his absurd ones (giving teachers guns to shoot their students) were not really ideas. He was never going to leave Social Security or food stamps alone or pass anything that makes the Affordable Care Act better, much less replace it with Medicare-for-all; he was never going to build the Wall; he was always going to bomb Syria and commit us to at least another decade in Afghanistan.

    For three years now columnists and feature writers have labored in vain to explain the so-called Trump phenomenon. He was, we said, adjusting our spectacles, a different kind of Republican, a reactionary populist, an Eisenhower moderate, a Nixonian paternalist, a fascist — whatever. We were all wasting our breath. The scribblers who did potted lit-crit numbers on The Art of the Deal in search of the answer to the Trumpean riddle were the only ones who got anywhere near the mark. This 372-page ghosted memoir cum management tips bestseller is the Necronomicon of the Trump Tower Horror.

    I am looking now at a PDF of this book, which I have never bothered to read or even glance at. The answer has been there all along and it is so painfully banal and affectless and straightforward in its nihilism that it isn't even frightening. For Trump there are no goals, aims, ends, objectives, duties, or even rules. There is no "there" there — only the fetishistic worship of a mysterious entity called "the deal."

    "I never get too attached to one deal or one approach," he writes. "I keep a lot of balls in the air, because most deals fall out, no matter how promising they seem at first." Believe in the deal!

    "The way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration, and a very effective form of promotion." All glory, laud, and honor be to the deal!

    "If you plan for the worst — if you can live with the worst — the good will always take care of itself." The odd seemingly throwaway use of "the good" in its abstract, almost Platonist sense is instructive: good itself — morality, decency, beauty, justice, courage, honor — is a meaningless distraction in comparison with the demands of the deal.

    This is why Kudlow's commission from the president was framed explicitly as a deal-making opportunity. It doesn't matter whether he obtains better terms from the other countries, who have already abandoned all the pro-American provisions requested earlier by the not-exactly hard-driving Obama administration. In six months or a year or two years, America's participation in TPP will be a fact. The ritual of the deal will once more have been completed.

    http://theweek.com/articles/766980/t...-aboutface-tpp




    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ex-Trump aide Gorka in talks to rejoin Breitbart
    By European Knight in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2017, 01:19 AM
  2. Supreme Court asked to review Ariz. employer sanctions law
    By Arizonaman2008 in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
  3. IRS asked to review Americans United for liberal agenda
    By AirborneSapper7 in forum Other Topics News and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 05:40 AM
  4. Senator Mitch Mc Connell asked for feedback....and money
    By Cliffdid in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •