Page 133 of 830 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 8292
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    The William Rodriguez Story - Last Man Out
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZtqKiidlo

Explosions before planes hit WTC 9/11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3uFvOiT ... re=related

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cook With The Sun Using The SUN OVEN

September 12, 2011 by Peggy Layton

Bake a turkey in a SUN OVEN® for 6 to 8 hours (on a clear, sunny day). The turkey is done when its interior temperature reaches 180 degrees F on a meat thermometer.

We have no idea whether we will be hit by a natural disaster, a manmade disaster or even an economic collapse. With the SUN OVEN® you can be assured that you will have a way to cook no matter what happens.

The SUN OVEN® can be used anywhere there is sunlight. It can be used in the coldest part of the winter as long as the sun is shining. The ideal time to use the oven is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. On a cloudy day, it will take a lot longer to cook, similar to a slow cooker.

The SUN OVEN® bakes, boils or steams any kind of food with the power of the sun. You can hard-boil an egg inside the SUN OVEN® without water. Just place the egg inside, and it will cook in about 20 minutes.

The SUN OVEN® is economical. It requires no fuel. And cooking with the SUN OVEN® reduces air-conditioning costs in the summer, because you are not heating up the kitchen with the conventional oven.

The even temperature of the sun allows it to cook evenly and never burns the food. There is no need to stir the food as you are cooking it. Because there is no airflow, the food stays moist and never dries out.

The SUN OVEN® works just like your home oven. It will reach temperatures of 350° to 400° F. Yet it is totally safe, and there is no danger of fire.

The SUN OVEN® is easy to use and portable. It can be used in the back yard in case of a power failure. This makes it ideal to have in case of some sort of disaster.

The SUN OVEN® comes with a black enamel roasting pot with a lid. Enamelware is used because it is dark and holds heat, which allows the food to cook faster.

The SUN OVEN® is composed of an outer box made with very durable PVC plastic and an inner box made out of aluminum that has been sprayed with black, non-toxic powder coating to absorb the heat, which is easy to clean. The oven has a leg you can adjust to get the right angle of the sun. It also has a leveling tray inside, which you can adjust as needed to keep the pot from being lopsided if you’ve adjusted the oven’s leg.

The inner lining of the SUN OVEN® is made of insulation similar to that used in pizza ovens. It is so well insulated that it traps heat inside the box and allows it to cook anything in a small roasting pan that you normally would cook or bake in an oven. It has reflectors that fold out to reflect the sun and heat up the black inner box.

There is a tempered-glass door that locks to keep the heat inside the box. The glass heats up, so it is important to use oven mitts to reach into the SUN OVEN® when removing food. The glass locks down and heats up, which deters animals from getting inside to eat food that is being cooked.

The SUN OVEN® reflectors are made of anodized aluminum. They will never rust or oxidize, and they are 86 percent reflective. They fold down, lock and lay flat on top of the oven. The oven, which weighs only 21 pounds, has a handle and can be carried like a small suitcase.

The SUN OVEN® has a temperature gauge that allows you to regulate the heat.

Two Ways To Cook In A SUN OVEN®

• As if you were cooking in a conventional oven: Check the SUN OVEN® every 20 to 30 minutes and refocus it toward the sun so it will get the same amount of heat.
    • As if you were cooking in a slow cooker: Put the food in the pot, place it in the SUN OVEN® and focus it facing south for midday sun. Leave it in from early morning until afternoon, and it will be done when you get home from work. There is no need to worry about the food burning or overcooking. It just keeps it warm, moist and fresh for hours.
    Being Prepared To Cook In Case of Emergency Can Reduce Fear and Anxiety

The SUN OVEN® pays for itself in a short time. Thousands of SUN OVENS® have been sold and families are prepared with an alternative way to cook, steam and bake. The fuel the SUN OVEN® saves offsets its cost. The regular price is $269.95. It comes with the enamel roasting pan and lid. I own one of these ovens, and I have enjoyed using it and experimenting with breads and one-pot meals.

How much fuel and wood do you have set aside for preparedness? With the SUN OVEN® you won’t need any fuel or wood for cooking, just the power of the sun.
    If you don’t ever need it for an emergency, you can use it to have fun with the children and grandchildren on a campout or just a fun backyard picnic.

Make snacks like s’mores, dried fruit and fun desserts.

The SUN OVEN® Does Much More Than Cook

Some other things you can do in the SUN OVEN are:

• Boil and pasteurize water.
    • Dehydrate fruits and vegetables.
    • Heat water for cleaning or bathing.
    • Kill bugs that may have infested your grain, beans, rice or other food storage.
    • Sanitize dishes.
    • Soften honey.
    • Sprout grains, seeds and legumes.
    SUN OVENS® are being sent to Third World countries where the women must search for twigs, sticks and wood to cook because their resources are being depleted.

In my next article, I will explain how to make your own solar cooker or oven. It is less expensive and can be made with surplus materials.

If you are interested in the SUN OVEN® and accessories as well as cookbooks, you can check it out on my website.

Food Storage And Self-Sufficiency Products Available

If you are interested in the SUN OVEN® and accessories featured in this article or any of the seven books I have written, such as Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook or Cookin’ with Home Storage, root cellar storage, 250-gallon water storage tanks, food-storage containers, ION water treatment, dehydrated food sealed in gallon-sized cans with a shelf life of 15 or more years, wheat grinders, sewage treatment, 72-hour packs or emergency medical supplies, click here.

Prepackaged Food Storage Meals With A 15-Year Shelf Life

I have been storing packaged meals called eFoods. They are ideal for long-term food storage because they are packaged in Mylar® pouches that serve four people. Everything is in the pouch except water. Just add water and cook the food for 15 minutes, and it’s done. The meals are delicious, and the company will let you try samples of the meals before you buy. Just pay $9.95 for shipping, and you get three meals that serve four people. I find them very delicious and easy to make. That is what you need in a crisis situation. I don’t just save them for a rainy day. I make the eFoods for meals when I am in a hurry, in the mountains, camping, hiking or feeding a crowd. I have decided that premade meals are the best food storage you can buy. They are fast, easy and convenient. You don’t waste food that way. This company has a program through which you can get one box of food per month. They call it “auto-shipment,” and it’s great! All you need is 10 minutes to set it up, and your food storage will be on auto-ship. Each month, you get a box of food delivered to your home. Go to the website, click on take the Freedom Tour, sign up for the free food and enjoy. Check it out here.

–Peggy Layton

http://www.personalliberty.com/survi...-the-sun-oven/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mountain House #10 Freeze-Dried Foods

http://tinyurl.com/44byvdr

Warning For Americans: Be Safe and Stay Alert. Its Coming

Mac Slavo
    September 13th, 2011
    SHTFplan.com
    335 Comments

In June of this year we published our first on the ground report from Greece provided to us by long-time SHTFplan.com contributor Manos.

As Greece continues to deteriorate it is no doubt foreshadowing what’s to come for the rest of the world’s developed nations in the near future, Manos is keeping us updated and he is very concerned about the future of his country, as well as the spreading of the contagion which will soon envelop advanced economies around the globe.

Greece provides us a microcosmic view of what an economic, financial, political and societal collapse looks like. In 13 Signs of a Societal Collapse, Tess Pennington details some of the events we’ll see happening during a systemic break down of nations. You’ll note that the US is well on its way, meeting some of the criteria, but Greece is now sitting at the precipice, with perhaps weeks or months left before the world Greeks have come to know over the last twenty years is completely destroyed. If Greece falls, the Euro may go with it, which means extremely serious (as in possible military confrontations in the future) consequences in the region.

Here’s the latest from Greece, and it should be a wake up call.

This is happening right now, in an economy and political system that was supposed to be centrally managed to avoid such things. We are witnessing the collapse of the first domino, and the chain reaction’s blast wave will obliterate the societies of entire first world nations.

On the ground report from Greece by Manos

September 11, 2011

…It’s very important because all our discussions and postings seem to come true.

After our socio-fascist government implemented all of Germany’s directives, the Greek people have come to an absolute desperation and poverty.

What is also outrageous is the fact that are own government has passed the message to the global banksters and other nations that Greek people are lazy and incapable.

Today, after two years of screwing and pressing us, most households and businesses have stopped paying. Stopped paying taxes, utility bills, toll fees, or anything else related to the government.

Two hours ago, this same government announced a new property tax (added to the 2 previous ones). This one will be calculated on every and each household, business, cottage, or even a barn for animals. It will be 4 euros per square meter calculated immediately, to be paid by this December the latest.

Once again let me tell you that we are not a lazy nation or useless people.

This has to do with some 4% of the working force, and all of them public servants who were hired by each government in order to gain votes for its next election campaign. So what’s actually happening is the same person who hired those people, now tries to persuade the rest of the nation that they are incapable.

The steps were very wisely thought out and implemented by the globalists.
    • They made fools out of us
    • They turned one against the other.
    • They decreased salaries and wages.
    • They increased prices of necessary goods.
    • They put us into poverty.
    • Now they demonize property by implementing more and more taxes
    • The next steps are to force us sell our properties to German and Chinese companies, and create jobs in German and Chinese factories for the thousands of hungry.

Please Mac, pass the message. Your people must learn from our suffering.

We are finished.

Alert yor friends, relatives, co-workers.

Be safe and stay alert. It’s coming.
    It’s clear that the Greek people are suffering in an untenable situation and Manos’ sentiment is that it is only going to get worse in Greece, the rest of Europe, and the United States. The steps cited by Manos as evidence of his country’s collapse mirror similar events unfolding here at home. The coordinated attacks on the world’s economies are coming to a head, and the situation is dire. The people of Greece are paying the price, but they won’t be alone.

As our friend Manos said… It’s coming. Be safe and stay alert.

Editor’s Note: We are grateful to our friend Manos in Greece and wish him and his beautiful family the very best as they live through these troubling times. We can not express enough thanks that Manos would take the time to share his experiences with our community. Even in time of strife, confusion and panic, Manos has been generous enough to share with the intention of warning others about how they can prepare themselves for the life changing events we are sure to experience as we move forward.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...oming_09132011

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA
    Life in Argentina after the 2001 crisis

Socioeconomic Collapse and Preparedness Timing

Posted by FerFAL on Sep 7, 2011 in MINDSET | 1 comment

Fernando,

I really enjoyed your book, (so have my parents, my wife, my friends and a dozen people in my office). It is very well written and packed with useful information. In fact, your book occupies a place in our law firm’s bookcase next to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Your book and your blog bring credibility to the debate over whether and how to prepare for a financial or other collapse

One topic I have not seen covered deals with the timing of events. Most people I know who “prep” talk about “bugging out” and scenarios that rely on “triggering events.” Even in your case, you had a fairly short window of time during which time the currency collapsed. A currency collapse would definitely be a “triggering event” to almost everyone I know. In the last two years, however, I have come to believe we are in slow decline here in the U.S., and that there will not be a single “triggering event” that signals the time to start wearing my body armor (or whatever other example you want to use). The endpoint will be the same, but perhaps less dramatic than in Argentina. The problem is, there is a lot of danger and mayhem between now and what may be the final collapse of U.S. social order, perhaps even a generation. I am worried that in a slower, more orderly decline, it will be difficult to match my level of security with the level of threat. Many more people, even well prepared people, could be taken by surprise

Most of the skills you recommend to your readers are good life skills that all people should have to enhance the chances of daily survival, even under normal circumstances. That said, constant, extreme vigilance is not anymore practical than having Uncle Bob come over and help me guard my house 24/7 WTSHTF. While I am raising my children to be watchful and vigilant, there is a whole different level of vigilance I would apply if I lived during a triggering event like a currency collapse. For example, I let them play outside with their friends in the neighborhood without adult supervision. To disallow that would be unhealthy to their development, and the threat to their safety at the moment is not extreme. If the dollar were worthless and crime rampant as you have described in your book, there is no way I’d let them outside without an adult.

My question to you is this, assume I have taken all the advice in your book and acquired the skills, equipment and commodities to survive a pretty long time; what would be the top five or ten subtle changes in society, government, or markets that would cause you to go from a normal state of awareness to the “never let your kids out of the house to play in the back yard level of awareness?” Thanks, Andrew.

An economic collapse in many ways is similar to the decline of an empire regarding how complex it is to prepare for it. Unlike defined disasters, natural ones like Katrina or man-made, there’s no clear beginning to it. It is a complex, multilevel event that in some aspects may have a clear trigger or milestone (such as defaulting or bank holydays) but on other aspects it may have been cooking slowly through inflation and unemployment for months, even years. Certain economic events may be easy to pinpoint, but how does unemployment affect people, when will this cause an increase in crime, or affect me directly leaving me without income? When will crime stop being only a factor related to the harsh economy and also be influenced in terms of how violent it becomes due to social hatred because of social polarization? Then there’s also the consideration that it may have been affecting people in different ways based on socioeconomic level and location in the country. Calling such a situation complex is an understatement.

Given such complexity and all the variables impossible to ponder, all you can do is stay informed, learn to tell the different signs and know how to interpret them so as to know what the future holds within a certain margin of error.

Things to look for would be unemployment, rumors from people within the banking and financial world (some of those rumors saved people millions when our economy collapsed) crime and what type of crime is taking place, corruption, debt and inflation. You must also become pretty skeptic regarding the information the main stream media provides. Who OWNS such media channel? Who are their sponsors and advertisers? What political agenda do they have or slightly tend to favor? If the media says the economy is doing wonderful but people on the street are barely getting by and you see more industries moving abroad, do have your doubts.

All these events and signs do tell you something. Don’t wait for the official SHTF day, in socioeconomic terms that simply will never happen, you will simply look back one day and realize the world around you has already changed. That is indeed how people will be taken by surprise. People sometimes talk about rule of law and no rule of law times, as if it were an on/off switch. One day everything is fine but the next week, ups! No ROL folks, so its madness out there, I’ll wear my MOLLE vest with armor plate to work and leave my Keltec 32. In the safe and pick my 1911 instead. Carried in a drop leg holster or attached to my vest of course. People that think this way are the ones that will indeed fail at protecting their families today, ROL or no ROL. If you suffer a violent home invasion in an upper class neighborhood like the Petite family did, does it really matter if some nutcase declared that ROL is still in effect, or that it isn’t? Preparedness is now folks. Modern survival is the way you analyze events, make decisions and ultimately live your life from day one, not after an event. In states where its legal to carry, I would get my CCW permit and carry today. Doing so wont bring any disadvantages to my lifestyle. My kids playing in the street with friends unsupervised? I´d be honest with myself. Can my son defend himself from a social predator? I wouldn’t leave a 10 year old kid unsupervised no matter where I live. How about 13 or 14 years old, and the general area you live in being pretty safe? Then I might be a bit more flexible.

What would be the top five or ten subtle changes in society, government, or markets that would cause you to go from a normal state of awareness to the “never let your kids out of the house to play in the back yard level of awareness?”

Unemployment: If unemployment is over 15-20% there will soon be serious social changes involving desperate people.

Poverty: Are half the people around you poor and looking your way with resentment? In Argentina the numbers are still pretty bad. 50% poor and 25% below the poverty line. Of the remaining 25% only 3% make enough money to life a life standard similar in quality to what middle class Americans are used to. Watch out for poverty and not only what the newspaper says or what the president announces. Do you see more people begging on the streets, more dumpster divers? How about shanty towns or tent towns? If you have any of those close keep an eye on your kids, your property and yourself.
    Inflation: Right now Argentina ranks at the top 3 worst inflation in the planet. That’s a sign of bad times to come. We have unions forcing higher wages that chase after ever increasing prices and still losing millions keeping an artificial exchange rate with the dollar around 1 to 4,2. When the peso devaluates again, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go to 7 or 8 pesos per dollar. Rising inflation is perhaps one of the final stages before the collapse, and something Americans should pay special attention to.

Businesses and Infrastructure: Are roads being repaired, parks kept tended to? Do you see a general sense of decay in the overall infrastructure? Neighbors keeping their houses well kept are a sign of good times. When the economy collapsed here in 2001 middle class people wouldn’t even buy a can of paint let alone remodel, and it showed. Things like stores closing and going out of business, shops boarded up, sometimes being replaced with cheapo discount stores.

Crime and Rumors: Crime will be a clear indication of you having to go from yellow to orange in terms of awareness. Now, it may not appear on the media as much as it should and negative news may be avoided entirely by news groups trying to be “team players” with the government. You on the other hand cannot afford the pink shaded glasses. Pay special attention to the local gossip and rumors, and when something catches your attention try verifying through other sources. Who got mugged, robbed or suffered a home invasion. Don’t wait too long. Once you know this is happening in your general area take the extra precautions you know you must take.

You can still have a pretty normal and happy life in spite of being forced to be more cautions and more aware given the circumstances. I believe its much better to take those measures while still enjoying the things I can, than taking the easy road and not doing it, and maybe one day regret it.

FerFAL

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/1580
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA
    Life in Argentina after the 2001 crisis

Night Vision

Friday, September 9, 2011

Hi ferfal

Hi ferfal
    Love thebook and the blog, thanks for all you do to help get people ready for tough times ahead.
    I am pretty well along with all of my peeps and supplies etc. I have been thinking about night vision goggles and/or scopes. Admittedly, I love gadgets and NV gear is pretty darn cool. But do you think such items have a valid place in the preppers equipment inventory, and if so can you make any suggestions on how to shop for one that is appropriate?
    I'd love to hear your opinion on this subject.
    Thanks again.
    Eric

Hi Eric, night vision can give you a huge strategic advantage during certain situations. People with military experience often mention how important it can be and some of them will make it part of the must-have equipment. Folks here that live in the country and take their security seriously will also make the effort to find and afford night vision gear, which is hard to find and much more expensive than in USA.
    I wouldn’t consider it must have equipment unless your circumstances make it so. In general terms even if power goes down there’s backup systems, battery operated emergency lights, vehicles. Combined with being responsible about the gear you carry and always making sure you have an LED light with you, you will be able to see and move around with confidence. Now If you are away from the city and within certain isolation, you might want to look into it more seriously.
    Think about the use you will have for it. Its mostly going to be used for defensive purposes, not wildlife sighting, so you basically have three options. Goggles, monoculars or scopes.

These come in all sorts of quality an prices, going up to several thousands for gen4 goggles and monculars to setups costing a couple hundred bucks. In this filed, you usually get what you pay for so don’t expect the latest tec to be cheap.

ATN PS15-4 GEN 4 Night Vision Goggle System

ATN 6015-WP Gen WPT Night Vision Multi Purpose Monocular

For those that need it but can’t drop several grand on NV Yukon is making a pretty acceptable product. Again, don’t expect it to be the same a goggles costing several grand, but the reviews in their products are very good. If I had to get NV due to my situation within a limited budget, I’d go for their headmount monocular kit.

Yukon NVMT 1x24 Head Mount Kit
    If your terrain makes it possible that you may need to defend your home from attacks further away, then a night vision rifle scope may be waht you need. Given that this is rarely the case, Id take the moncular head kit.

5 comments:

September 9, 2011 4:25 PM
    Anonymous said... One question is whether one of those generation 1 monoculars with built-in IR source for about $150. is better than nothing and still gives you an advantage of someone creeping up who has no NV.
    Steve

September 9, 2011 7:38 PM
    Anonymous said... A few points. First, I agree on avoiding the cheap night vision gear if your budget allows. I purchased a cheap Gen-1 night vision scope just to "get my feet wet" and get some practical experience with night vision gear. As far as light amplification, Gen-1 isn't that good, although the IR illuminator works very well with the NV scope. Second, a decent set of binoculars (e.g. 7X35 or better) really brightens up the night, and for a fraction of the cost of good NV gear. With the binoculars, you can see things clearly when your naked eyes can see virtually nothing. Third, I've read that smoking diminishes the light sensitivity of your eyes - yet another reason not to smoke.

September 10, 2011 11:30 AM
    Anonymous said... using Gen-1 for nightvision is like using only Norton for anti-virus. it's just a tiny fraction better than nothing.

September 10, 2011 1:27 PM
    Anonymous said... FERFAL, a night vision scope is not the way to go. A scope gives too much tunnel vision and you do not want to point your weapon at everything you need to look at. For other applications that are more realistic you want head mounted night vision and an IR laser. THAT is an unbeatable combination out to 300M or so. -TOR

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2011/09/night-vision.html
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Big Side Bar to think about... most people forget to look for a radio they can charge a cell phone off of ... very handy in an emergency when power goes out... I dont know if this has one or not... didnt say in the description so I would assume not so for the price.. you get what you pay for

Black & Decker StormStation All-In-One Rechargeable Power Source/Radio/Light #SS925
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.

INSTANT SURVIVAL TIP: What can a farmers market do for you?

4 Comments

image by empracht

Farmer’s markets sprout up just about anywhere and everywhere you might find farmers. In fact, you don’t even need to be an official farmer to be a vendor, just a really successful home gardener!

In my Survival Mom Radio Hour on September 1, I interviewed Nurse Amy, and we discussed farmer’s markets. Naturally, you can buy fresh, usually organic produce from local growers, but here are four more excellent reasons to stop for a few minutes the next time you see that “Farmer’s Market!” sign.
    1. Ask the farmers what produce grows best in your area. They’ll be able to tell you what varieties to plant, how to work with the local soil, and a whole lot more. My experience with seed catalogs and most gardening books is that they’re written by and for people living in climate zones 5, 6, and 7. If you live in more extreme climates, as I do, your local growers will be worth a visit, and maybe a purchase, in order to pick their brains, and they may be willing to tell you the best places to buy seeds and seedlings.
    2. Start saving seeds using the produce purchased at a farmer’s market. Obviously these varieties grow well in your area, so why not remove the seeds, wash them, and dry them on a plate? Store the seeds in small envelopes. Be sure to label and date. By the way, master gardener Marjory Wildcraft recommends using ammo boxes to store seeds. She says they’re the perfect size!
    3. What do these farmers do in the off season? How do they prepare their land for the next growing season? What do they plant in the harsher months, if anything? If you’re like most gardeners, there are certain times of the year when you’re tempted to throw up your hands and forget about the garden until a kinder, gentler season rolls along. But is this what local growers do? How do they cope with extra harsh summers? Make a list of all your toughest questions and then make the rounds among the farmers at the market.
    4. Use their varieties to do your research. Don’t just take a seed catalog’s word for it. Not all farmers grow the same varieties, so look around and buy one tomato of each variety you see, and then one cucumber and one bag of green beans of each variety. After tasting each one, you decide which to plant. Be sure to ask each farmer where he/she buys seeds.

© 2011, thesurvivalmom. All rights reserved.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2011/09/05...et-do-for-you/

You may also like -

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Survival Recipe: Black Beans and Corn Cowboy Caviar

Posted on September 7th, 2011
    by Jan LeBaron

Survival food is sustenance that can be made easily during a survival or emergency situation using mainly simple, long-term storage food items, cooked outdoors, using off-the-grid methods.

This is a great recipe to use up a lot of leftover vegetables from your garden. One aspect of the wise use of storage food is to use whatever you have. If you want to cook the beans, great, if you have canned beans, that works. If black beans are not available, substitute

Beans and corn make a complete protein, and this recipe helps use up your leftover vegetables from the garden! (pinchmysalt.com photo)

whatever kind of bean you have.

This recipe calls for corn, onions, tomatoes, and these still might be lingering in your garden. If not, use canned or freeze dried or even dehydrated. This is the real secret to unlocking your food storage skills.

The added nutritional perk is that beans alone – though high in protein – are not a complete protein and lack certain amino acids.

But, if beans are eaten with rice or corn at the same meal, the protein is complete. Many Mexican foods are based on beans and rice, and if you enjoy that cuisine, you can create nourishing, tasty foods with basic storage food items.

Black Bean and Corn Cowboy Caviar
    2 c black beans, pre-cooked and rained
    1-1/2 c sweet garden corn, freeze-dried, or you can use dehydrated
    1 c tomatoes, diced, freeze dried
    1/4 c onion, diced, freeze dried or dehydrated
    3 Tbs cilantro, chopped, dried
    1 Tbs red winne vinegar
    4 Tbs lime juice (you can make this from dried lime powder)
    2 Tbs olive oil
    1/4 tsp garlic, granules, dried
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper, ground, black

In a medium bowl, add corn, tomatoes and onion, pour boiling water over the top and let sit for 5-6 minutes to re-hydrate.

Drain the water off, add the drained black beans. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, line juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and cilantro and combine.

Pour over the top of the bean/corn mixture, toss to coat. Serve with chips or as a side dish.

http://www.survivalcommonsense.com/2...oy-caviarfeed/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 02-03-2012 at 04:44 PM.